PDA

View Full Version : Windows Performance Index

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
I've got a new Windows Vista computer, almost 2 months old now.

I've opened the 'Windows Performance Index' and checked it out; it scores 5,9 on éverything, except for the 'Graphics' part. It scores 1.0 there.
Someone already told me it had to do with drivers, but I'm sure that I've installed all drivers correctly.

When I try to update the Windows Performance Index, my computermonitor turns black and my computer starts making... annoying sounds. The
screen doesn't seem to turn back to normal so I turned off my computer.

My computer still works and all, but I want my score to be higher.. Someone knows more about my problem?

Pazuzu
May 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Don't bother about the score if you can do anything you want with your computer flawlessly.

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Well yes, that's true, but my score is 1.0 now, as they base the overall score on the lowest one.

It actually gives me a not-so-good-feeling. But I guess your right.

mewthree w/armor
May 3rd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Well yes, that's true, but my score is 1.0 now, as they base the overall score on the lowest one.

It actually gives me a not-so-good-feeling. But I guess your right.

What is probably going on, is your computer is good, but your using Intel onboard video. Unless your doing PC gaming, or video editing, your fine with that. Otherwise, you have to go though the mess of checking your PSU Wattage, checking what ports are on your motherboard, carefully choosing a new video card after much research, installing it, and hoping everything goes right.

Its not that hard, but not necessary if you don't need it.

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
I montaged my computer myself. I chose just a normal video card and motherboard. I'm sure thousands of people have the same combination as I have.

And I'm actually doing PC gaming. O:

Chibi-chan
May 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
There's no problem at all.
If you have a laptop...there's really no way to improve your graphics score unless you update your driver. Even then, it might still be a 1. It depends on what type of card you have already installed. It can't change.

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
HD Radeon 4870 iirc.

Nothing wrong with that one I guess?

twocows
May 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Go into the Device Manager, open up "display adapters" and check what it says. If it says something like ATI Radeon HD 4870, then your drivers are installed. If it says something like "Generic PNP device," Windows is using its generic video drivers, which is probably why you're getting the low score. Can you specify who your card's manufacturer was (Sapphire, for instance)? Also specify what drivers you're trying to install and where you got them.

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
It says: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.

The card manufacturer was Sapphire, indeed. I've installed THESE (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64) drivers, and then 'Option 1.'

twocows
May 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
It says: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.

The card manufacturer was Sapphire, indeed. I've installed THESE (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64) drivers, and then 'Option 1.'
Sapphire's pretty good, so I doubt it's a problem related to them.

You appear to be installing the correct drivers, so that shouldn't be a problem (that was the page I was going to link you to, actually). Vista appears to be recognizing the drivers, so I'm starting to think it's not a driver problem, but a WPI problem.

I want you to check your winsat.log file. Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT and copy winsat.log to your desktop and rename it to winsat.txt. Open that up and check what the last line in the file is (this is the last thing WPI did before you hard booted your computer).

Oxnite
May 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Is this enough information for you?:

Running Assessment: graphicsformal ' -wddm'

twocows
May 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
This guy (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=91493) had the same problem (same line and everything) and it turned out to be a bad card (though his was an NVIDIA). I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything, but if it's under warranty, you may want to just exchange it. If you have a different ATI card, try swapping it in and see if the assessment completes normally.

Eureka1
May 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
A 4870 certainly shouldn't be getting 1.0, even if that Vista tosh means nothing.

My 9800GTX+ gets straight 5.9, score falls on RAM for me to about 5.2 lol. :(

If I were you:

1. Uninstall ATI drivers
2. Run Driver Cleaner Pro and select all variants of ATI to clean
3. Run CCleaner to clean registry
4. Install latest drivers
5. ????
6. Profit!!!

I always find ATI drivers are trash which is my reasoning for steering clear. Good luck.