PDA

View Full Version : Okay, how!?

Inkfingers
May 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Alright, this is gonna be a really hard question to answer.

How does dragonair control the weather?(try ur best to use science)

Reina
May 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Because dragonair is a Pokemon and in the Pokemon world they defy many of the principles of science in which we live by today. In our world, it is physically impossible for a creature such as a fox to conjure fire in its throat to spit out. In our world, a creature without wings or any other means of flying cannot float on its own. However, in the Pokemon world, they are both possible- so its easy for the Dragonair to change science as we know it to bend the weather, in the Pokemon world, that is.

..thats as sciencey as I could get. xD

Tacogeddon
May 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
It takes logic and science, places them on a catapult, and proceeds to jettison them into the ocean.

Gumball Watterson
May 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
How does Dragonair control the weather?

It's the Pokemon World. That's as scientific as you can possibly get.

Spearow
May 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, sorry. No amount of pixel-by-pixel sprite arithmetic is gonna explain this one.

But I'd love to see someone try! :D

Blaziken_Boy
May 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
This is how:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4497/logicj.png

Logic-type is super-effective against nearly all Pokemon, except the ones who make sense like Glameow. What's not to get? It's a cat with attitude!

The Anti-Pun Magnet reflected the attack!

The Scientist
May 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, sorry. No amount of pixel-by-pixel sprite arithmetic is gonna explain this one.

But I'd love to see someone try! :D

Hey, was that directed at me?

Anyway, y'all caught me off-guard with this one. But just off the top of my head, I know that altering the atmospheric pressure can cause drastic changes in weather. What could the crystals be doing to alter the air pressure?

I don't know yet, but maybe I'll think of something.

Maybe.

MAJOR EDIT:

Dragonair stores an enormous amount of energy inside its body. It is said to alter weather conditions in its vicinity by discharging energy from the crystals on its neck and tail.

I made a progress!

Blaziken_Boy
May 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I made a progress!

In the Dust Bowl, people actually used explosions to 'stimulate' the air and make it rain. It worked, but it didn't work exactly the way they wanted it to.... it snowed. So this is a good possibility.

zerwey
May 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
It uses mystic and magical powers that can only be obtained in the magical world of Pokemon. That's as scientific as anything can get in Pokemon. xP

The Scientist
May 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
In the Dust Bowl, people actually used explosions to 'stimulate' the air and make it rain. It worked, but it didn't work exactly the way they wanted it to.... it snowed. So this is a good possibility.

Wait, you mean like cloud seeding? That usually involves silver iodide and is only useful for precipitation. It wouldn't help create, say, thunderstorms out of nowhere.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
To remove clouds, Dragonair is able to absorb large amounts of water through the pores on its skin, also going a little way to explaining how it uses water attacks.

To seed clouds, it does the reverse, exuding water vapour from its pores.

To create snow, it somehow absorbs heat energy from the surrounding air, cooling the clouds. To make hail, it does this to a more extrem degree.

If Dragonair wishes to warm the air, it releases this heat energy.

That's the best I could come up with :\

coolcatkim22
May 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
-_-
Pokemon is a combination of technology and magic.
It is mostly technological but it retains some magical properties.
Most of these magical properties are found in the Pokemon them selves. Humans have managed to harness some of the magical powers but not to any great extent.

In conclusion, these types of threads are pointless.

The Scientist
May 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
-_-
Pokemon is a combination of technology and magic.
It is mostly technological but it retains some magical properties.
Most of these magical properties are found in the Pokemon them selves. Humans have managed to harness some of the magical powers but not to any great extent.

In conclusion, these types of threads are pointless.

Pointless, but fun. Pokemon's about fun, right?

To remove clouds, Dragonair is able to absorb large amounts of water through the pores on its skin, also going a little way to explaining how it uses water attacks.

To seed clouds, it does the reverse, exuding water vapour from its pores.

To create snow, it somehow absorbs heat energy from the surrounding air, cooling the clouds. To make hail, it does this to a more extrem degree.

If Dragonair wishes to warm the air, it releases this heat energy.

That's the best I could come up with :\

The endothermy/exothermy thing is straight, but your water vapor theory has one-and-a-half flaws. Firstly, if it were to absorb/store all that water vapor, it would have to be bigger than a Wailord! A cloud can contain up to 500,000L of water, you know!

Secondly, the PokeDex specifically states that Dragonair's weather-changing abilities are directly caused by the release of its internal energy; it doesn't mention water vapor anywhere.

I'm thinking more along the lines of electricity here. It may be possible for the massive amounts of EM energy that Dragonair emits to affect the air pressure in some way. By altering the local temperature fronts, it can increase condensation forming clouds, and warm air can trigger thunderstorms. On the other hand, by only forcing cold air up, it can make snow and hail.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe it uses the immense energy to compress the water that it takes in? I'm just guessing, though XD

Harley Quinn
May 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Alright, this is gonna be a really hard question to answer.

How does dragonair control the weather?(try ur best to use science)

Dragonair's orbs in it's neck and tail are obviously weather-control orbs with hundreds of imprisoned weatherman/women souls inside. When the orbs are stroked by Dragonair, a certain number are let free, causing weather;

0-4 escape, snowstorm
5-10 escape, sunny.
11-14 escape, rain.
15-19 escape, hail.
20-40 escape, heatwave.
41-60 escape, thunderstorm.
61-80 escape, snowstorm.
90+ escape, Dragonair dies and hurricane happens.

coolcatkim22
May 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Pointless, but fun. Pokemon's about fun, right?
These threads are fun?
Personally, they just make me think that people aren't asking the real questions like:

Is a Dugtrio three Digletts or a Diglett with three heads?

Does Crobat have four legs or six?

Why do Goldeen spawn in the spring, while Seaking spawn in the fall?

And many other questions of why Pokemon is contradicting it's self.

The Scientist
May 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/TristinCrow/Forum/153225.jpg
That's the spirit!

I'll get my people on it posthaste!

Azonic
May 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Dragonair strips off its feathers and makes the weather hot.

The Scientist
May 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Dragonair strips off its feathers and makes the weather hot.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/TristinCrow/Forum/153234.jpg
No! Very no!

Dragonair? Stripping? Hot?

Never should these words should never be united in the same sentence, unless that sentence follows the theme of "The idea of Dragonair stripping is ABSOLUTELY NOT hot".

Damn, now I'm subconsciously wondering what a naked Dragonair looks like. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think Science can really be brought into play for this question. As it is said that Dragonair hold a special orb like sphere on its neck and tail, which is what is believed to control the weather. I guess it is the additional fact that the franchise has made Dragonair seem like a more mystical type Pokémon who has the power to do various things.

If I had to answer scientifically, I would state that Dragonair controls weather by certain elements in the orb which cause weather to be affected in the atmosphere. By this, depending on Dragonairs mood at the time can exhibit a different pattern on weather.

Åzurε
May 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe it uses the immense energy to compress the water that it takes in?

Water cannot be compressed, only put under pressure. Dragonair is most likely a "wizard did it" pokemon. Going for an answer with that in mind, I'd say the crystals are rather like a mood ring in that they alter the immediate atmosphere depending on the heat exuded by Dragonair. Dragonair could have a noticeable difference in outward body heat so that the gem works correctly, as opposed to an actual mood ring, which are usually wrong.

And I agree with Neiteio. Very no.

sirboulevard
May 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Water cannot be compressed, only put under pressure. Dragonair is most likely a "wizard did it" pokemon. Going for an answer with that in mind, I'd say the crystals are rather like a mood ring in that they alter the immediate atmosphere depending on the heat exuded Dragonair. Dragonair could have a noticeable difference in outward body heat so that the gem works correctly, as opposed to an actual mood ring, which are usually wrong.

And I agree with Neiteio. Very no. I think this theory makes a lot of sense, the heat can rapidly alter weather conditions by changing the local air temperature which can create sudden storms as a result of rapid heating followed by swift winds created by the updraft of heating the air which can sometimes create storms very quickly. Dragonair might also have the inverse ability of drawing in heat from local air (which can also cause storms) into its body. to create sunlight, all dragonair would have to do is balance the air pressure somehow (this one I dont know how it would do) then increase it.

Inkfingers
May 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
These threads are fun?
Personally, they just make me think that people aren't asking the real questions like:

And many other questions of why Pokemon is contradicting it's self.

coolcatkim, thank you for that. This is basically my specialty. If you want those questions answered, enter them inthe post: real pokemon guru. It's mine and I answer all questions like that.

sirboulevard. Dang it, I want you to be a sdie guru! You're so good at this!