PDA

View Full Version : Is Liking Pokemon something You should hide

Nearsighted king of Ice
May 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I read in http://www.dragonflycave.com/aapdead.aspx (http://www.dragonflycave.com/aapdead.aspx) saying this I like Pokémon, but I have to keep it secret from my friends and it's driving me crazy," or "My mom keeps telling me I should be growing out of Pokémon," or "I'm 13, am I too old to like Pokémon?" The point of mentioning this is that basically teenagers are often afraid of revealing that they like Pokémon in real life, because in their peers' and parents' minds, Pokémon is a kid's game and this makes them feel embarrassed about it and want to hide it. I know of quite a few personally who keep it even from their family and parents. There are more Pokémon fans around than it seems at first glance. Is liking pokemon something you should hide? In My oppinion I don't care what people think about me.

Oxnite
May 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't really talk about it to other people. It ís actually a kid's game, with all the ''cute'' creatures and such.. At least, that is what your parents and friends might think.

Ninja Caterpie
May 4th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The only thing I care about is my parents...my dad which reckons Pokémon is "fightfightfightfightfight". Go freaking play any other freaking RPG

So...yeah. My friends like Pokémon too. But then some of my other ones don't...But stuff them.

Nearsighted king of Ice
May 4th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Well I my self Hated Pokemon about 5 years ago all i liked digimon more than nothing then I bought Pokemon TCG then I never saw digimon series on T.V. ever again I had no choice but to watch pokemon and Now I like pokemon more than my sister (then again I like anything better then my sister) but the point POKEMON RULEZ

Tacogeddon
May 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM
It seems like everybody has a Pokemon Cycle.

Yay Pokemon! --> Pokemon is for babies! --> Yay Pokemon again!

Mitchman
May 4th, 2009, 03:42 AM

This is my case right now. I would be hiding it trying to act all cool and such and my friends just yapping away about Pokemon. They would go say uh Happiny evolves to Chansey at what level and I would come out of nowhere going it only evolves through happiness. Then an awkward stare would arise I would tell em and we went on talking about Pokemon. I love it.

Raykon
May 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
No, If you like it you should stick up for what you like, just don't go mentioning Pokemon randomly to people haha, but if someone asked you if you like Pokemon then just say yeah, There is nothing really wrong for liking a game ... So no you should not. I don't really hide it at all, if someone mentions Pokemon I will talk to them about it all my friends really do not care what I like as a game.

Arumus
May 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
When I was young, when Pokémon first came out me and my friends all loved it for years. It was the craze. I grew out of it by the time the GBA Series was around, but I still watch most of Johto. A few years ago I watched the Hoenn series and got hooked again. When Pokémon is mentioned, I say I liked the games and the old series. Which is pretty much true, I'm not a fan of DP (Although I'm on Diamond on the DS atm) but I don't say I go on forums and do a bit of role play.

JezzaRules
May 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Everyone around me knows I'm a Charmander maniac =P
So it's pretty obvious that everyone knows I like pokemon.

Surprisingly, a fair amount of people I know around my age (18) enjoys playing the 4th gen games.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 4th, 2009, 04:54 AM
My family knows that I occasionally play the games, but they just think its nostalgia. So yeah, I'm a closet fan :\

Psyburn
May 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I've got friends in College that made a pokemon club.

I'd say they're very comfortable. Why shouldn't we?

Dunsparce
May 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I've NEVER hidden the fact that I like Pokemon. N-E-V-E-R.

I could care less what other people think. If your friends or bf/gf make fun fo you for it, then LEAVE THEM. If they don't accept that you like Pokemon, what kind of friends are they? There's plenty of people out there that will accept you for who you are.

processr
May 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM
This is my case right now. I would be hiding it trying to act all cool and such and my friends just yapping away about Pokemon. They would go say uh Happiny evolves to Chansey at what level and I would come out of nowhere going it only evolves through happiness. Then an awkward stare would arise I would tell em and we went on talking about Pokemon. I love it.

lrn2evolve (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Evolution-inducing_held_item#Oval_Stone)

I've never actively hidden my liking of Pokémon. Rather, the subject hasn't really cropped up. Though some of my peers at school are actually still into it, somewhat surprisingly, given I've never heard them mention it before. I've been open to discussing it much more, as a result.

Burningfenix
May 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM
im actually quite open with people knowing i like pokemon...im almost 19 and i still play pokemon...actaully its preaty awsome cause i met this girl who is going to japan and she loves pokemon and shes gunna send me a pokemon (like a teddy bear) and people dont mind...like me and my friend were playing together at the univiersit in our english class and nobody really cared...actaully if it wasnt for me being so open i wouldnt have met some of my best friends :D

Vail
May 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I think that most people have liked Pokemon or something similar at some point in their lives, so the people I know tend to be less judgmental and more nostalgic when Pokemon comes up in conversation (which is....almost never).

But if you're still seriously into Pokemon at a certain point (I don't know...like 15?) I wouldn't use it as an icebreaker. xD When I was caught playing it, I got a weird glance; but then I just said, "Everybody has their crutches," and she laughed and said, "That's true." Problem solved. c=

Alexithymia~
May 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I liked pokemon, and then I sort of lost interest. I found my old Leafgreen like 2 years ago and got back into it. I sort of forgot how much I liked it...
No-one has really asked me if I liked pokemon but if they did, I wouldn't lie. It's just it's never come up in conversation, so I haven't said anything.

Shadow Lucas
May 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM
i like pokemon but my family and friends say its for kids but i dont care what they think

Skaterzpenguin
May 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
All my friends know I like pokemon, and they don't care. Just be yourself and have fun! My girlfriend actually likes me playing and liking pokemon cuz she likes it too, so yeah we have fun playing the games with each other! =D

Psyburn
May 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Kinda funny...the majority of answers cropped up are "I dont care what other people think".

Kinarii
May 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I don't like, go around advertising my fandom to all the other kiddies at my college, but I don't make it a point to keep it hidden. I talk about design and other stuff when I'm at school, anyway. There aren't many places where Pokemon could come up in conversation at school unless I'm doodling Pokemon and someone notices. No one ever really watches me draw, though, and I'm usually doodling random weird stuff or dragons anyway, not Pokemon.

Mike20PR
May 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
i have liked pokemon since red and blue, took me a while to actually try it out cuz it didnt attract me at first but i was hooked since. i played all the time back in 7th grade like 8-9 years ago when it was in its rave and the whole pokemon wave started and the last game i had was Gold Version. i took my game boy to school, battled my friends, collected cards even though i did not play them. but as of now this has really died down to a afterthought here in puerto rico, but since i wanted to try the new series of ruby/sapphire to remember old times sake (emulator on my HTC Touch cuz i dont have a GBA since i cant find a decent DS emulator for D/P/PL for PC) I liked the modern taste of the game since then and got hooked again.

as for the topic, i dont mention it cuz basically theres no one to talk to about this since its old news where i live so i just enjoy it by myself as a passtime. but i never deny that i did like it and still do

zerwey
May 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Only my best friends and my family know I like Pokemon xP. Yeah...basically what you said..people don't really reveal it.

Cham
May 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I've liked Pokemon since the very beginning, but I did notice sometime near the end of middle school it stopped being "cool". I kept playing the video games and watching the show, though I stopped collecting the cards. I have played the games consistently since then, except for maybe the 3rd generation until FR/LG were released. I've never really talked to any of my friends about it, though there are a select few that I've caught playing it, and they actually tried to hide it until I told them I played too. A lot of people in the military have the tough guy mentality and even if they did play, they would never let anyone know, which in my opinion is really stupid, so I try to break free of that thought process.

The Apprentice™
May 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I've never hide the fact that i like pokemon. I like it when i was young and i like it now and i'm not ashamed of it. In fact I usually tell people i lke pokemon =]

Naturee
May 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I keep the fact that i like pokemon from my friends i don't know why though they like it too lol
but when they ask me i say i hate it i don't know why i say i hate it

Psyburn
May 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I keep the fact that i like pokemon from my friends i don't know why though they like it too lol
but when they ask me i say i hate it i don't know why i say i hate it

Possibly "In-Crowd" Aversion?

PsychoSk8r
May 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't hide anything from anyone. Everyone knows what I'm a fan of, because I usually wear T-Shirts with the stuff I like. Anyway, I'm 20 years old, I still like pokemon, hell, i've just finished replaying yellow, and watching season 1. =P

No, don't hide who your are. If people don't like that, stuff em =P

Psyburn
May 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Its funny. I have friends that dont give a damn what I like...but my family berates me consistantly for my interests...

Its kinda a horrible feeling to know your family is more uncomfortable with who you are than your friends. :(

Vail
May 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
That's sad when your family dislikes you for something like this...the only way I can see that happening with me would be if Pokemon was a defining characteristic of my life and it was destructive to the rest of my life. =/

Sora
May 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think I've ever hidden the fact that I've liked Pokemon, but I certainly don't hide the fact that I like it now. I actually have a Nidorino and a Dragonite Keychain on my bookbag for school, where sometimes people notice and comment, or they just don't care. :D

Thanks to those keychains, and me speaking about it, I have learned that some of the people who I never thought would like it (ex. a band member of mine) actually still play the games and have an interest in it. -nod- :3

Showing off what you like can really be a wonderful thing. I don't think I've had much of a downside to it yet.

iTzKaizer
May 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I won't lie. I say I hate it to my friends and that it's childish... Well, I think that of the anime (except 1sr and 2nd gen) but I play pokemon games and a little few friends too... Sometimes all people likes something he thinks other people dislike, and at the end all the people liked it if you started it would became the classic game to play and it would be as awesome as when you were a child :/

JP
May 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I guess it really depends on the environment you live in. I think it's one thing to let the people you know you enjoy Pokemon, compared to telling the "world" you enjoy Pokemon.

If none of your friends enjoy it, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to tell your pals that you enjoy it. If they're you're friends, then they should be able to understand your interest in it. People shouldn't have to hide they're feelings towards this, but you also don't need to tell people at random that you like it... that's just unnecessary.

In my case, I have lots of friends who just recently got back into it. So I really don't have much of a problem talking about it. Heck, my friend and I were drawing Pikachu in my sketch book at lunch today. XD

Azonic
May 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
To be honest, I never express my fandom to Pokemon in public. I'm pretty conscious of what others think of me, so I don't just let all my "embarrassing" secrets go public.

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You know what, no honestly liking Pokémon is not something you should hide. WHy should you as a fan of something, have to keep a hush hush on a favorite hobby of yours? It isn't any fun, and it isn't right for others to judge you by what you like. I personally do not keep what I like a secret from my friends or family, because I know they will accept the things I enjoy. Though for some, it is a different situation, but still if someone is truly a good friend or family member to you, then they should have no problem knowing that you like something such as Pokémon. It is nonsense to hide something of the sort, and if others make fun of you because of it, you as a person must learn to stand up to the plate and ignore those around you. Hiding secrets such as liking Pokémon can lower self-esteem in a person, and I disagree with the idea of having to hide your love or enjoyment for the franchise.

airconditioning
May 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
It's something you should probably hide, yes. I simply don't give a damn.

This is very true.

Lt_Nite
May 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sadly I have to because whenever someone hears that I'm talking about pokemon they immediately make fun of me so it's like meh why bother. Me and my friend though still talk about it because he still plays so it's nice to have someone to talk to about it.

Peanutz
May 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Absolutely not, unless you want to hide it.

I honestly don't care what people think about me. Everyone needs to be respectful of peoples' differences.

Frostbiteकर्म
May 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I honestly don't think it's something you necessarily should hide, it's just something that a lot of people want to. Why? Because (I'm one of these people) a group of people at school or whatever would probably call you baby-ish that you still play Pokemon and you don't want to have to deal with that because I guess it can get annoying. A few of my friends know I still play Pokemon. If I try to bring it up around some of my other friends, however, they go all O.O and are like "WTF is wrong with you?" So I just don't bother.

Azonic
May 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
You know what, no honestly liking Pokémon is not something you should hide. WHy should you as a fan of something, have to keep a hush hush on a favorite hobby of yours? Isn't it kind of obvious? Most kids in this world care about their reputation at school. Liking Pokemon is considered very childish, because Pokemon is apparently of the childish nature. People do care about what others think of them. It isn't any fun, and it isn't right for others to judge you by what you like. It isn't any fun? Well, letting the whole school know that you like Pokemon isn't any fun either, just so you know. No, it may not be right for others to judge you because of your interests, but it isn't exactly relevant. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't come into play in this situation. This is society's reaction to people liking childish things, and you can't change that. To avoid these reactions, people simply don't mention their fandom. I personally do not keep what I like a secret from my friends or family, because I know they will accept the things I enjoy. Though for some, it is a different situation, but still if someone is truly a good friend or family member to you, then they should have no problem knowing that you like something such as Pokémon. I don't think good friend or non-good friend is related. Telling people about a child-like fandom is mostly related to what everyone else thinks of you. It's about reputation, which isn't carried around between only your best friends. It is carried around by even people you don't know. People will look down at you for it, and there's nothing you can do about it if you open your Pokemon fandom up. Is it wrong for them to do so? Yes. But they do it anyways, and there's nothing you can do to prevent such a reaction. It is nonsense to hide something of the sort, and if others make fun of you because of it, you as a person must learn to stand up to the plate and ignore those around you. Hiding secrets such as liking Pokémon can lower self-esteem in a person, and I disagree with the idea of having to hide your love or enjoyment for the franchise.Um... Last time I checked, having people pick on you and make fun of you because you like Pokemon can lower your self-esteem too. lol. What's the point of letting people know you like Pokemon besides "getting it off your back" (given there's no one else that does)? It's really not a big deal hiding this stuff.

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
No it's not a big deal to keep it hush hush, but reputation isn't something a person should always have to worry about. If everyone worried about what others think of them and how other view them and their reputation in life, then we'd all be stuck up people who try to be perfect...When there's tiny little black secrets creeping in all of us. I agree, keeping Pokémon a secret from others isn't a big deal, but letting others know shouldn't be a problem to others, but of course there are those many who judge you because of it. xD

Nemaru
May 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
People make judgements about you, sure you get made fun of and whatnot, but who cares? After a couple minutes they get bored and move on. I don't go around yelling and screaming it to the world, but if someone asks me for whatever reason, I wouldn't deny it. You like what you like, there's no reason to hide it. People need to grow a pair and just admit it, it's not a big deal. Back in middle school I used to hide it, and in 9th grade I just gave up and didn't really care anymore.

My family actually doesn't resent me for liking Pokemon, they actually support me for not following the "crowd"; my friends like sports, T.V. and Halo 3/Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Now, I do all of those things also, but I like MMORPGs, Pokemon, Sword fighting, Archery, skateboarding, and a ton of stuff my friends don't, too. Don't hide what you like, stand up for yourself. In a nutshell, Pokemon isn't something you should hide, neither is anything else you like.

Ŧøry vs. M£A†¥³
May 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Many people like it in my high school. I hear people talk about Pokemon everyday when it is not even on my mind. It is nothing to hide. I don't want to hide something that is the second highest selling game franchise in the world. Many people will talk junk to you about many things anyway. I also here people say, "Halo? That game is so lame." But I think it is okay in my opinion.

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
People make judgements about you, sure you get made fun of and whatnot, but who cares? After a couple minutes they get bored and move on. I don't go around yelling and screaming it to the world, but if someone asks me for whatever reason, I wouldn't deny it. You like what you like, there's no reason to hide it. People need to grow a pair and just admit it, it's not a big deal. Back in middle school I used to hide it, and in 9th grade I just gave up and didn't really care anymore.

My family actually doesn't resent me for liking Pokemon, they actually support me for not following the "crowd"; my friends like sports, T.V. and Halo 3/Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Now, I do all of those things also, but I like MMORPGs, Pokemon, Sword fighting, Archery, skateboarding, and a ton of stuff my friends don't, too. Don't hide what you like, stand up for yourself. In a nutshell, Pokemon isn't something you should hide, neither is anything else you like.

This is exactly what I said before (except in different wording) xD

With my parents, they say they rather have me be into Pokémon rather than going out in the streets smuggling drugs or anything of the such.

Gumball Watterson
May 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Really, I see no reason to hide it. Specially since I talk nothing to nobody in my school, it wouldn't even be noticed anyways.

revelp8
May 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I can imagine where a few of you being embarrassed about playing and talking pokemon, seeing that most of you are in high school. and high school is all about reputation and looking cool.

If people ask what im playing on my DS, i say pokemon. Nothing to be ashamed of. And if people are going to judge you on what you're playing as a hobby, then to hell with them. There's more to people than what you play on the DS, and if people are too blind to see that, then they aren't worth talking to

slimjd008
May 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't bring it up out of no where for sure like some of you are saying. But if someone mentions it i have no problem saying i like it

Vail
May 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Some of you are acting like Pokemon comes up in conversation all the time. That's never been an issue for me, since I've never played with my DS in public, or have done anything related to Pokemon outside the comfort of my home.

I mean, it's cool that you're secure enough with yourself to admit that you still like Pokemon, but it should be a guilty pleasure for people past a certain age. How much of a defining factor is Pokemon in your life, that you'd need to express it publicly?

As far as people's reactions go...Maybe people are giving you weird looks because you're sitting in the middle of the courtyard playing a video game only complex enough to stump a 9 year old? Because that's what Pokemon is...a pastime for children.

I can imagine where a few of you being embarrassed about playing and talking pokemon, seeing that most of you are in high school. and high school is all about reputation and looking cool.

I still care about my reputation. It's just less prominent in college because there are a lot of people and you can blend in easier. But if I saw someone playing pokemon in lecture, I'd be like, "Homie, come on. We're about to join the work force." We just control ourselves, and wait until we are in the privacy of our homes.

Åzurε
May 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Well, I don't hide it, and my family is okay with it, I guess they're open to that kinda thing...Suppose I lucked out. But, yeah. Unless you are playing with a younger fan, Pokemon is generally not an icebreaker. It's kinda come up for me more since one of my friends at church got Crystal on his cell phone, but it is definitely more nostalgia than anything else. A few of my friends have been "out of the loop" for quite some time, because his parents look down on it for the supposed magic and violence and (perhaps) "cockfighting" factors, and yet he still has Brawl, enjoys Kingdom Hearts, Twilight Princess, and X-Men. O.o Illogic, but I haven't exactly had an in-depth discussion with them, so I don't know their reasoning...

Nearsighted king of Ice
May 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
well I'm just asking this question cuz most school in other countries has to go to middle school then high school but in my country after you're elementary it's straight to high school and I'm going to a new school I'm actualy thinking of bringing my DS and carrying a pokemon bag at school I don't hide liking pokemon I really don't care what people think I oftenly Like it when people consider me as a geek for liking pokemon but my mom and dad always tell me "stop playing that game you're starting to look like a pokemon" or " It's always about pokemon it's better if you just grow up" but i don't care

K-K-Slider
May 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Eh. I don't go out of my way to hide it. In fact, I even bring my DS to school and play it during my down-time. When people try and make fun of me, I bring up the fact that about two years ago they called everyone who played WoW a nerd, and now they themselves are playing it. Then they usually get unnessicarily aggresively defensive, and come up with terrible half-witted excuses about how WoW isn't nerdy anymore.

Plus, it actually stems some interesting conversations with chicks! =P

Inferno1
May 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I play pokemon everyone in my family now and everyone at school know i honestly dont care i tell all my friends u guys are friends with me not something im going to pretend to be so. thats what i think and im 16 lol so trust me ohh and my sister bf is 21 and he plays pokemon so its lol just play what u like lol

ShinjisLover
May 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
No, it's nothing to hide. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Hell, I have a Pokémon jacket that I always wear, so everyone around me knows I love Pokémon. Since I am tired and don't want to give a long, strenuous answer, let's give you a short answer: No.

Azonic
May 5th, 2009, 03:00 AM
No it's not a big deal to keep it hush hush, but reputation isn't something a person should always have to worry about. If everyone worried about what others think of them and how other view them and their reputation in life, then we'd all be stuck up people who try to be perfect...When there's tiny little black secrets creeping in all of us. I agree, keeping Pokémon a secret from others isn't a big deal, but letting others know shouldn't be a problem to others, but of course there are those many who judge you because of it. xD
I can't follow your logic. If it isn't a big deal, kids should have no problem going down the "safer" road (aka not giving them something to laugh about). And if you haven't noticed, reputation is a thing that most kids worry about most. They try to protect it.

BHwolfgang
May 5th, 2009, 03:37 AM
There's nothing to be afraid about.

If someone makes fun of Pokémon, then just ignore him/her. That, or just joke along with them.

I, foreone, am not afraid of telling everyone that I like Pokémon. At least now my friends know what I'm doing in the weekends. XD

Floris2Burn
May 5th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I got a few friends I know they like games like pokémon. But i'm 19 so no one talks about it at school, and it's not something people feel like talking about XD.
Though, i haven't played the games for a little while now (some months), I still think i'll get platinum when it's out (living in europe sucks).

Oh, one of my cousins likes to play pkmn so when i got to help him, i got an excuse to play pkmn :p

and for my parents, they don't realy know what games i play, they only know i play to much games :s

Lipton106
May 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
No, its nothing to hide=)
A few of my friends play it as well.. Its a great series and we grew up with it.

Its a game for all ages=D and one of the best on handheld.

Lyvee
May 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hmmm.....Well I don't think Pokemon is something that someone should be ashamed of admitting they like, I think everyone needs something childish and fun to escape to. ^_^

I found myself completely shocked the other day when my best friend, the person I least expected to like Pokemon, recognized Piplup and told me about how she thought Pokemon was great!

angelsavoir
May 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I dont think you should hide it. I mean lots of people like certain types of things, Im 17 and I still like to play pokemon, if it comes up in conversation I would say i play it! Its one of the only games Im good at. Plus some of my friends play it, and my friends who dont really dont care if I do or not.

As for my family, they really dont care. Im almost an adult and can play what I want especailly if I choose to spend my money and time on it. My brother is 9 and plays so sometimes we battle. But I dont really play as much any more maybe twice a week, its just s game and its something to do when you are bored.

Master Terrador
May 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Don't hide it...Everyone has the right to their own opinion...I mean I'm 20 and I still like it...I have friends who like it...No one has the right to tell you what not to like...

Doctor
May 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
No, not pokémon. Everybody in my age knows what it is, and I'm not the pokemaniac I used to be ^^

Going to pokémon forums is something I hide though XD

Gold warehouse
May 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I had no reason to hide it; Pokemon was the cool thing back when I used to play it during the GBA era. Probably not so much anymore, but I don't have a DS so I don't need to worry about that. I wouldn't hide it though, my friends now about plenty of the abnormal things that I like, some of them much worse than pokemon.

Inkfingers
May 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Good Thread.
I hide it from my friends until we are really good friends. I then tell them and they just accept it. If they don't want to be your friend or make fun of you b/c of it, they aren't really ur friends. I had a talk w/ my parents saying this is what I like, just as you guys like stuff I don't get. I told them that I'm not gonna change and I don't care how old I am, as long as I like it and I'M having fun, I'm alright.

matt561
May 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I dont eithen bother hiding it i mean m eithenn a pokemorph furry sooo... yeah no real point there

Rubber Ducky
May 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
My friends are fine with it. In fact, Fog Badges are the most epic things at my school these days. If you don't do your homework, blame it on the Fog Badge, etc.

Nnoitra Jiruga
May 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I don't hide it from my parents, they don't care much. x D
But certain people might go like, "OMIGOSHYOULIKEPOKEMONWTFBBQ!11"
Those are the annoying ones. : /

Abbeysol
May 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
^^What he said :/ I have no problem with my family or close friends knowing I love Pokemon, but other people... No. I don't like them knowing.

I'm ashamed... D:

Spearow
May 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
It's not something I should hide, in that it's nothing really to be ashamed of, it's just something I happen to hide anyway. I'm a pretty private person, so I keep most of my activities and interests to myself - even my parents don't know half the stuff I'm into (lucky for them it's nothing illicit ;p). And to be honest, if someone meeting me for the first time asked me about my hobbies or video games that I liked, I probably wouldn't mention Pokémon.

I personally don't feel that liking Pokémon or other entertainment aimed at children says anything negative about someone's personality, but others seem to think that it's a sign of immaturity or some such. Which is untrue, of course - lots of smart, mature people engage in "childish" activities and there are certainly much worse habits to have - but rather than dispute that with them I just keep playing it without announcing it to everyone I know. Basically, even though I know there's nothing wrong with playing Pokémon, I wouldn't mention it at a job interview.

Åzurε
May 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
@ Rubber Ducky: that's awesome! xD I might start using that myself, if it's not copyrighted... copywrote? copywritten? :P whatever. The word's copyrighted.

I agree with Spearow wholeheartedly. You don't walk up to someone you don't hardly know and go "Hi, I like Pokemon!", if only because it's perceived as a childish thing to like. But also, don't go the opposite direction and hide it as if it was an embarrassing thing. In my opinion, it's better if you prove you aren't immature before being way open with it. Actions, as they say, do speak louder than words. They're also less obnoxious.

doofinia
May 6th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I Use to hide liking pokemon cuz I thought my classmates will laugh at me but i thought " I'm like 12 so I'm still a kid" so I just talk about pokemon alot until a highschool dude told me I need a GBA to be a pokemon fan but in his face he only has a GBA but i have a NDSi so no you shouldn't hide liking pokemon

Nearsighted king of Ice
May 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I Use to hide liking pokemon cuz I thought my classmates will laugh at me but i thought " I'm like 12 so I'm still a kid" so I just talk about pokemon alot until a highschool dude told me I need a GBA to be a pokemon fan but in his face he only has a GBA but i have a NDSi so no you shouldn't hide liking pokemon
I had the same problem and the same DS model sure we're not twins? but besides that I only wanted other people points of view about hiding there love for pokemon and know i see most people older than me dosen't hide their love for pokemon without trouble so thanks for your oppinions

pokerus34
May 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hiding your likes for Pokemon?

Is like never liking Pokemon at all! :)

P.S. Like it...

To tell the truth, I dislike Pokemon for a short while when i was 7... :)

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hiding secrets, a lot of people do it around us...and for all we know, there could be tons of older kids in our school who enjoy Pokémon, except we don't even know it. Hiding it should be neccesary, but also people barely talk about it, so most of the time it should barely even come up as a daily topic. xD

zerwey
May 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I don't hide it from my parents, they don't care much. x D
But certain people might go like, "OMIGOSHYOULIKEPOKEMONWTFBBQ!11"
Those are the annoying ones. : /

Yeah...I get so annoyed. As soon as they glimpse the screen...

"POKEMON?! You like POKEMON?! Wow....just wow..."

Weird. o.O

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
You know I do remember, I was in the 9th grade, Diamond and Pearl had now came out ( I didn't have it as yet) and one of these middle schoolers were playing it on the bus (Yes the high school/middle school has a mixed bus) But anyway, I asked if I could play it in front of all the high schoolers sitting around me. They didn't seem to be bothered in it at all, though the people where I live could also have different points of opinions when they see things like that, which is where the mockery starts for some. xD

Tephros
May 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
People familiar with gaming in college seemed to know it’s not just a kid’s game, but anybody far away from gaming circles thought it was a kid’s game. Most of my gaming friends in college played it. And most of us didn’t even start playing it 'til some would consider us too old. If it comes up and they assert it’s a kids game you can easily convey how it’s not exactly a simple game like tic-tac-toe. That said, non-gamers in general usually think gaming is a waste of time much like I think watching sports is. To each their own, though. I don’t put much effort into hiding it, but most of the time I’d rather not explain it to somebody.
That's sad when your family dislikes you for something like this...the only way I can see that happening with me would be if Pokemon was a defining characteristic of my life and it was destructive to the rest of my life. =/

Yeah, and quite frankly there's nothing wrong with any hobby unless that's the case. Being mature is a matter of taking care of your responsibilities, not what you do in your free time.

Isn't it kind of obvious? Most kids in this world care about their reputation at school. Liking Pokemon is considered very childish, because Pokemon is apparently of the childish nature.

I don't know about the cartoons, as I mostly play the games. While it's true that what people believe is real is still real in its consequences, I'm not sure if pokemon meets more objective definitions of childish. Generally childish things rely upon simple mechanics and unsophisticated humor. I don't think the mechanics are overly simple, like tic-tac-toe, nor is the humor in the games especially unsophisticated.

Um... Last time I checked, having people pick on you and make fun of you because you like Pokemon can lower your self-esteem too. lol. What's the point of letting people know you like Pokemon besides "getting it off your back" (given there's no one else that does)? It's really not a big deal hiding this stuff.

If anything, it indicates their own immaturity (though it likely would do no good to call them on it) and if it bothers you it indicates your own insecurity. That said, I don't think promoting your hobby is the kind of thing worth opening yourself to immature harassment over, but as far as going out of your way to hide it, probably also not worth it.

At interviews I hate it when they ask me about hobbies, as if that is relevant. Instead of saying Pokemon explicitly I’ll say I like strategy games amongst a list of other interests. Though if pressed on strategy games I might say pokemon amongst a list of other things like chess and Civ IV.

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 08:05 AM
At interviews I hate it when they ask me about hobbies, as if that is relevant. Instead of saying Pokemon explicitly I’ll say I like strategy games amongst a list of other interests. Though if pressed on strategy games I might say pokemon amongst a list of other things like chess and Civ IV.

Now with something as an Interview is different and you make a good point here. Though, not even an employer should judge you on whether or not you like Pokémon. Listing you like Pokémon to someone shows that you are not afraid to admit what other might not, but also listing other things such as more mature things is a great back up as well.

Turnado
May 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I went through a phase where I hid it from people [I think it was like from the ages 14-17], but once Diamond and Pearl came out, I didn't really care what people thought and I was loud and proud about my love for Pokemon.

Sometimes I second guess whether I'll tell someone "Oh yeah I'm playing Pokemon Platinum." But I'll usually just tell them.

Vie
May 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
No, I don't think so. there are so many people who like it (this place proves) and I am what I am.
So why hiding it?

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with the post above. You are who you are, and others shouldnt have a problem with then, even if you like Pokémon. The same people who might mock you, probably once liked Pokémon just as you do.

Superjub
May 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, and no. I dont think you should go around telling everyone you like Pokemon, as you are bound to be teased, but if someone asks you if you like Pokemon, you should just say yes and say that just because it's a 3+ does not mean it's childish. It's quite a strategic game too, you know. :\ I don't see why for example, people who like Mario aren't teased but Pokemon fans are. :\ I blame Pikachu! XD
So yeah, if someone asked me if I like Pokemon, I'd say yes. Never really been teased. :\ (Then again, according to most people, I'm quite a likable guy so... :))

Lana.
May 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I didn't get into Pokemon until the fad was dying out. I didn't realize this until a few years later, when people were really avoiding me and treating me differently. I toned my love down, but I was still treated like a geek. When my friend, who was one of the few that knew I still liked it, blabbed to the rest of her friends (when I was sitting right freakin' there), they laughed.

I have yet to really tell anyone I play it, visit forums, watch the anime, and write fanfiction for it. I'm not ashamed of liking it (hell no), I just don't want to be laughed at again. Once was more than enough, thanks...

Is liking Pokemon something you should hide? That depends person-to-person. For me, yes, it is something that should be kept under wraps.

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've been thinking of this lately and readin everyone's different situations and opinions. I have come to think that it really all depends on whether or not you want to admit your liking to Pokémon. Also, it depends on the peole who surround you...Would they be the ones who care, and if so how would they treat it? Or would the people around you be the ones that don't even bother with you liking it or not. It just really depends on your situation of the matter.

daigonite
May 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Um... no?

I sure hell don't. Why should you have to hide something that you truely love? Those who criticize for who you are are simply shallow people who follow the crowd.

abnegation
May 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I Totally think millions of people are stuck in this dilemma! And i think there's probably more Teens Playing i than young kids because after all it's from our Generation! Pokemon Was launched in Japan like 1995? or something and it was massive here in like 97 98 and most of us are prob still addicted!! I guess it's just a peice of our childhood (well mine anyway) We can't leave behind! plus it's fun like it does bring people together. But to answer your question ( at last LMAO) I'm not ashamed! I just don't feel the need for people to know because they don't get it! Everyone has they're secrets! But at least for some of us on pokecommunity we can share it! :)

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I play what I like to play, and if other have a problem with it or want to go ahead and laugh, then let them. At least I'm enjoying myself while they're wasting their time acting immature about something.

Inkpuddle
May 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
This is something that has bothered me for a really long time.

Pokemon used to be a huge part of my life, and as I was growing up my mother would drop hints that I was getting too old for it. At 13 she took down all my posters and sold all of my videotapes, and she wouldn't take me to see the new movies or allow me to play any of the newer games. See, I'm fine with being an individual, but it's a different story when you're judged even at home.

But now that I'm 17, it's getting easier to screw the rules. I got away with playing Diamond so far. While other kids can't wait to turn 18 so they can legally buy cigarettes, I can't wait until I'm free to play a freaking kid's game. I guess it's getting easier for her to accept because all of my friends play it, but still.

kissing. raindrops
May 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Haha well I tell some of my friends I play, and they just laugh, I laugh, then yeah. No biggie.

brinazarski
May 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Well, I loved Pokemon even as a toddler - I was a flippin' addict xDD But when middle school started, I slowly stopped watching it. I liked it, but...I just stopped watching it. Playing the games. Idk.

So then in seventh grade, my online buddy was obsessed with Pokemon, especially shippings. I was like "Okay O__o..." since not only was I no longer into Pokemon, but I wasn't into shippings and never was xDD Eventually, we had a fight over Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping (I was the Pearlshipper. I somehow knew who Dawn was o.o), and I really didn't believe in Pokeshipping at all ftw. Then I saw a clip...and was suddenly shocked and addicted to Pokeshipping! :o Then I was all "POKESHIPPING POKESHIPPING POKESHIPPING." Lol. Didn't like the other shippings...and now I like A LOT of shippings xDD Pokeshipping, Advanceshipping, Pearlshipping...you name it lol.

Even though I liked the shippings, I didn't exactly like the games much...but on Christmas, I asked mom to buy Diamond and Pearl...never played them. Sad, I know xDD

I started rewatching the show (which I really didn't like. I missed a whole series - Battle Frontier. And I missed a lot of stuff. It was too new and weird.), and eventually I started liking Pokemon again. My mom was mad, saying I was too old for Pokemon, sparking a lot of fights between her and I xDD

I kept it secret, feeling very strange liking Pokemon, and I didn't tell my friends until I figured out they liked it.

I joined The PokeCommunity Forums shortly for the Pokeshipping Club (xD), and then stopped coming.

I tried replaying Pokemon from the old games - starting with Silver, the oldest game I had next to my Gold, which was dead :<

Eventually I started replaying the newer games...I felt weird about talking about it...but one day, I decided to bring my GameBoy Advance to school and play Pokemon...and I could care less :) Someone was like "What are you playing?" and I stated it loud and proud: "POKEMON! ^_^" xDD

And now I has Platinum. And I loves it. Very. Very. Much. :o And I love trading. So ya. Find mai trade thread and bump it/trade with me :o xDD And I shall battle when I make mai team...IN DA FUTURE 8O

And actually, my mom doesn't bother me about Pokemon anymore. She used to fight with me, yeah, but now she seems to encourage it. So I'm happy ^_^ (actually, she's been encouraging me about a ot of things that she discouraged me about before...odd, no?)

So, to finally answer the question - I don't hide it. I love Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it.

I've been wanting to say all this. Yay I finally got the chance xDD

[/end rant] :D

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It really is ashame that some parents can't just let their kids play the games or simply watch the show because they think we're too old. I mean would they rather us go out there all the time and start getting into the wrong things, such as some of you stated cigarettes, or even worse. I think it sad that some of us have to keep a secret of what we like from family...that just isn't right to me. Parents, especially parents are supposed to support the right things we do in life, not try to say "Oh, you're too old for this!" Some of the smartest people out there are those who stick to what they like rather than listening to the bad talk other have to say about them.

Inkfingers
May 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
You know what, who really cares! As long as your having fun and have found something you like, Who cares. Those people that are too busy critisizing those who like it are the ones who should be made fun of. You're the one who's found a hobby that doesn't harm anyone, whereas those who are making fun of you waste their frickin time making someone else feel bad. Screw them! They need to get a life, is what they need to do. Plus, those who are making fun of you are probaably hiding something that's considered embarrassing too. And to those who let those who like Pokemon be, I salute you.

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You know what, who really cares! As long as your having fun and have found something you like, Who cares. Those people that are too busy critisizing those who like it are the ones who should be made fun of. You're the one who's found a hobby that doesn't harm anyone, whereas those who are making fun of you waste their frickin time making someone else feel bad. Screw them! They need to get a life, is what they need to do. Plus, those who are making fun of you are probaably hiding something that's considered embarrassing too. And to those who let those who like Pokemon be, I salute you.

Now that...is a great piece of advice. Nice reply to this indeed. xD

white lancer
May 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I definitely don't advertise it. When I'm talking with my friends and Pokémon comes up, I'll usually mention how I used to be a big Pokémon fanatic and how I sometimes still play the games, but that's as far as it goes. And, honestly, that was pretty much the truth; I was like most people in that I started off as a fanatic when it first came out, then when I went through middle school I pretty much hated it and thought it was stupid. Recently I've developed more of an appreciation for it and I've gotten back into it for nostalgic purposes.

My family all know I still play the games and they don't care. My little brother enjoys it because he still plays the games all the time and I help him out. ;)

airindia787
May 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Happened to me as well. My hiatus from Pokemon lasted quite long, almost 4 years. I did not know which Pokemon were in 4th Generation, let alone that there was a 4th Generation. One day I happened to overlook my friend battling in D/P, and I was hooked again.

LugiaFreak
May 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
At my school, I kept the fact that I liked Pokemon to myself from everyone except my friends. There was a kid who said he did and got completely destroyed by some other kids. They made fun of him and laughed at him behind his back.

...I don't want that happening to me. O_O;;

Pokeyomom
May 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nostalgia is the hook that reels you right back in. Thats how I started again. I love the games and cards, and im going to be 21. Lol. But who cares? If people ask me if I like it, I say yes. Who cares what people think about that type of stuff? Im actually fairly popular with my social group, and I think its because I dont care about petty stuff like that.

Some people may think you are strange... but most people admire someone who can be themselves. NERD ON!

zerwey
May 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM
At my school, I kept the fact that I liked Pokemon to myself from everyone except my friends. There was a kid who said he did and got completely destroyed by some other kids. They made fun of him and laughed at him behind his back.

...I don't want that happening to me. O_O;;

Nobody wants that happening, so that's why I don't let anyone know, unless they like Pokemon as well, or if they're good friends.

Inkfingers
May 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Yah we all did go thru that cycle didn't we. When Pokemon first came out, and I was at age 4 or 5, I was hooked. Pokemon was my life(although I didn't play the games,I watched the TV series. Couldn't afford a Gameboy at the time, so can you blame me?) I eventually started to lose interest at age 9. I just thought it was okay, never thoiught it was gay or anything like that. Then when I was 14( 1 year ago) I found the game and started playing( The first game I got was silver. Played it day in and day out back then) and what can I say, I still love it to this day.

Ayselipera
May 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have always loved pokemon and I remember when I was little and I used to watch the show all the time. Even though I absolutly love pokemon and all the games I find its easier to just not tell anyone. Other people immediatly assume its a geeky kiddy game. Its just better to love it and keep it to yourself. But hey, if you want to flaunt it go for it!

white lancer
May 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I definitely don't advertise it. When I'm talking with my friends and Pokémon comes up, I'll usually mention how I used to be a big Pokémon fanatic and how I sometimes still play the games, but that's as far as it goes. And, honestly, that was pretty much the truth; I was like most people in that I started off as a fanatic when it first came out, then when I went through middle school I pretty much hated it and thought it was stupid. Recently I've developed more of an appreciation for it and I've gotten back into it for nostalgic purposes.

My family all know I still play the games and they don't care. My little brother enjoys it because he still plays the games all the time and I help him out. ;)

Ironically, the day I posted this my roomie came in while I was playing...he was disgusted, but only because I was playing Emerald and not one of the G1 or G2 games. XD I suppose we're all 90's children, so we all were into Pokémon at some point or another. Some of us think it's lame, others still think it's cool.

Apathetic_Yen
May 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Only my friends. Anybody else I never really bring it up to. Seriously, anybody start a conversation with someone "Hi my name is Jack, and I lurv pokemon!"

Artemis
May 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Exactly the conversation of Pokémon almost never comes up, so whether you hide it or not is your choice...People will only get to really know if you tell them...

Ayano Hana
May 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I really don't see the need to hide someone's liking for Pokemon. It's a great franchise, that requires a lot of strategy. (In the games, at least.)

Tommy123
May 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think you should have to hide the fact you like pokemon. If you enjoy it i don't think it should make a difference.
Besides age is only a number it doesn't mean you should stop doing certain things because of how old you are.

♣Gawain♣
May 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I like pokemon, and I would never hide it. I would always brag about it at school, bringing my DS with me, battling with friends.

Gummy
May 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Liking Pokemon isn't something that I write on my shirt and make sure the entire world knows, but if someone were to spontaneously ask me then I'd tell them the truth.

ZestyCactus
May 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I went through a phase, but now I don't really care. Basically everyone who knows me even a little knows I love Pokémon ;P

Shem
May 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
You'de be surprised how many people play pokemon and hide it, I had no clue until I started admitting it. And those people you hear occasionaly making fun of pokemon, you can generally assume still play it :laugh:

RedJ
May 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Well, thankfully my friends like Pokemon, so no issues there. As for anyone else...well, I always have a few screenshots of the manga on hand for anyone who utters the sentance "Pokemon is for kids, you shouldn't like it, blahblah". What are these screenshots, you may ask? And Onix getting it's head kicked clean off its body by a Hitmonlee. Pikachu covered in blood and other injuries. Stuff like that. This changes their opinion quickly XD

But no, I will tell anyone real quick that I like Pokemon...but not the show. The show...yeah, thats where all this comes from. Its gotten so kiddie-ish, its not funny. Back in the old days, Pokemon could, you know, beat each other up so badly that they almost die. There was a concept of death. Now...its the opposite. And as we all know, the manga and games are very different from the anime.

And, if all else fails if people refuse to leave me alone after all this, I use the "The games are addicting' card. Which is true, and they agree with me always on that :P

Lynnx
May 14th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I don't advertise it, but I won't lie if someone asks me. It's not really something I'm ashamed of, just a hobby I don't talk about that much.

But I do tell them that I play the games, not watch the anime.

Popstar Leafeon
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Why hide it? It's nothing bad. I'll tell everyone in the world I like Pokemon. And if they don't like it... Well, my signature should say what they should do. And I can be truthful when I say, "I don't watch the anime." Although I'm sure half the people here can say that, too.

Andcetera
May 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, a bit. Though i am sirprised at how meny people like pokemon, but most people find it a little childish.
I dont hide the fact i like pokemon, i usally draw them all the time when i feel like it, but i never talk about it unless im around friends or my family lol <_>