PDA

View Full Version : Extra! Extra! Rivals and Games! (Issue#2)

pokerus34
May 4th, 2009, 06:21 AM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page1.png http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page2.png http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page3.png http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page4.png

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page5-1.png

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/iceblades1/Page6.png

So I edited the thread... And replaced the 2nd "Page 4" with page 5... Hope you Appreciate it! :0

Grammar Nazi Valentine corrected me again... "SHAME" :( Haha... Well, I need some Beta Readers right now to correct the grammar!

YES, I'M TALKING TO YOU, VALENTINE! ;)

Well, due to the lack of news, we dunno what to put in the 3rd issue, so any help will be appreciated. :)

-P.S.- Enjoy Reading Issue 2! :)-

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Well, I'm glad to see this still going, this new issue came out pretty fast :D A few constructive criticisms:

1, In the article on Platinum's release, you refer to "Abdomen fans". Am I being stupid or is this gibberish?

2, I question the survey by 'anonymous' regarding recognition of Pokemon vs recognition of animals. Perhaps the less common animals, but not things like a mouse.

3, You printed one page twice

4, There are several errors regarding grammar and occasionally spelling, as well as capitalisation. A beta-reader could add some real polish to the product :D

5, The FAQ seems a little, er, random. And hey, no crossword? D:

However, I can see a definite improvement on the first issue, the most obvious being the better image quality. I look forward to reading more issues :D

Keep it up!

Improfane
May 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
pokerus34 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove pokerus34 from the recipient list and send the message again.

I would be happy to help correct grammar. Avoid giving me a serial comma and all is peachy.

Person Number 3
May 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Like IL@YM said, there are two page 4's and no page 5. But, it was a very good issue! :)

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM
The issue came out really nice. I would like to see a new background in the future rather than plain white, but I can see a large improvement from Issue One :)

By the way, I really like the picture associated with the quote I offered. I'll make sure to stay in tune for the next issue. Keep up the good work. :)

Sakari
May 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the commnents :) We should get a proof reader poke urs what do you think?

Lt_Nite
May 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Nice job on this one, seems clearer than the last issue to read. Enjoyable read too although like said some errors here and there but hey it's only the second issue it'll get better every issue. Keep this up it's a cool idea.

JX Valentine
May 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
A few things:

1. Personally, I think it'd be best if you went with a solid color or a white background. The reason why is because I found that the patterned ones you used for pages one and two made it difficult to read the text. The one on page one essentially was a dark background under dark text, and the one on two had bright colors that clashed with the color of the text (for me, at least). A good way to ensure that it's not difficult for the reader to read your text is by not using a patterned background. (Alternatively, use one with lighter colors.) This is, however, just me.

2. Again, you'll want a beta-reader, but you look like you're actively searching for one. However, I'd recommend holding off on production until you actually get one because otherwise, you'd end up with odd errors in every single issue from now until then. Like, yeah, "Abdomen Fans." (Not sure what you were trying to get at there.)

3. About your featurette, always, always, always do some fact-checking before actually putting something in a newsletter. First off, the article you found (which I had to Google because you spelled the URL incorrectly) was from about six or seven years ago. Secondly, it's from a website that also claims Pokémon is a tool of Satan. No, really (http://www.crossroad.to/text/articles/pokemon5-99.html).

4. However, the article that I managed to dig up concerning this (which you once again plagiarized (http://web.archive.org/web/20020630220341/http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_556089.html?menu=news.quirkies), given that there's again no byline, and you probably didn't ask for the permission to take this story) is also not a reliable news source. While it states statistics, it's odd that this story isn't found on any other website but a dead one.
4a. Oh, and by the way, again, if you want to make a newsletter, you've got to write the articles yourself and cite the sources correctly. It's just not good form if you don't do that because it makes you look like you don't care enough about the newsletter to put effort into creating original, enlightening articles to catch a reader's attention. Also, if someone finds out you did that, you run a risk of ticking people off and getting trolled. (I know someone who stole article content from an active Pokémon fansite, and what happened after that? Flamewar between my friend and every single member involved with the project he stole his information from. Fun times.)

5. You also plagiarized Bulbanews (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Major_Pok%C3%A9mon_game_to_be_announced_this_month) (while giving the wrong credit at the bottom of the paper). Basically, if you didn't get permission to feature content someone else wrote for another website, don't use it. It's bad form.

6. The comment about negative feedback on the last page? I'm sorry, but sometimes, you've just got to take it. =/ We, the public, are trying to tell you the things that you could do to improve your paper and the things you just shouldn't do. Completely copying someone else's work without actually giving them credit, for example, is not only wrong, but it can get a lot of people in trouble. That and, I'm sorry, it's just not enjoyable to read something when you know it's someone else's work, when you know it's got a lot of errors that need to be fixed, et cetera. Yeah, you're in it to entertain, but from one writer/aspiring editor to another, when you entertain, you're doing it for the public. If the public don't like something about it, you can't just say, "STFU." You might as well just keep your newsletter private if you refuse to accept or listen to the opinions of your audience about your paper. You keep that up, and you'll end up with no readers at all.

GreenStorm
May 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Valentine, how about a white texture? I'm thinking of that.

As for the slogan, how about : News written right. (since this is a newspaper, news, and written because you wrote the articles, and right as in you did it right).

Great job, but you printed a page twice, like Misfortune said. So it's actually five pages, not six. As for the plagiarizing, come on guys. Wrote your own stuff.

One question though, why is the logo so blurry?

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Getting proof readers is a great idea, I'm sure the third issue will be even better :)
By the way, does every new issue come out on Mondays? xD

Gumball Watterson
May 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
OK, I've made some research and I am gonna reccomend a few format things

P to the D to the F, what do you get? PDF

Sure, not everyone can open PDF, but you heard me, the quality will be so good, not even Naruto would believe it (actually kinda stupid :P). Plus, PDF reader is free. and you can upload a png version with it.

First, Google a few PDF converters and "print" the documents from GiMP

You are using GiMP like I said right?

Also, you may want to consider increasing the quality from the banner. It's kinda blurry.

If you don't know how to do it yourself, I can probably help you on structure. PM me if you're interested.

JX Valentine
May 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Valentine, how about a white texture? I'm thinking of that.

White texture might actually work. Basically, scratch what I said about solids so long as you use anything that's light enough to make the text stand out well. (Sorry about that.)

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
White texture might actually work. Basically, scratch what I said about solids so long as you use anything that's light enough to make the text stand out well. (Sorry about that.)

This pretty much sums up a good point I might have stated only a few minutes ago. xD

GreenStorm
May 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Yeah, because just white seems too plain. I made this great texture for a project I'm working on that might really fit the newspaper. Should I upload it?

JX Valentine
May 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
This pretty much sums up a good point I might have stated only a few minutes ago. xD

If we're talking about your first comment, then my retraction isn't really saying go ahead with a background besides plain white. It's more saying use anything so long as the text stands out. Either way, if it doesn't look right with plain white, then sure, let's see how white texture looks. If it works, feel free to keep it. If it doesn't, you're still working on it.

Artemis
May 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
If we're talking about your first comment, then my retraction isn't really saying go ahead with a background besides plain white. It's more saying use anything so long as the text stands out. Either way, if it doesn't look right with plain white, then sure, let's see how white texture looks. If it works, feel free to keep it. If it doesn't, you're still working on it.

Yes, in the first issue I had also recommended a new background either it be colors, white, or whatever they choose, so long the text does stand out...so I believe we understood each other perfectly well. xD

Oh, I like the PDF suggestion by Godot, though it may be a little rough for those who can't open those files. xD

ChArkaChu
May 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
' thanks for the comments, feedbacks and suggestions ' we'll surely work on it ' ' and BTW its pretty hard to edit the txt '

JX Valentine
May 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yes, in the first issue I had also recommended a new background either it be colors, white, or whatever they choose, so long the text does stand out...so I believe we understood each other perfectly well. xD

Sorry. I don't remember that.

Oh, I like the PDF suggestion by Godot, though it may be a little rough for those who can't open those files. xD

Agreed completely. On the other hand, PDFs would definitely be better organized, and a lot of computers come with Adobe Acrobat or a PDF reader already bundled in. Not to mention AdvancedK9's right about there being free PDF readers (by Adobe or otherwise) on the 'net.

Åzurε
May 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I think part of it might be that Pokerus just uses stuff his supporters supply, but I don't know how much he goes and finds himself...

ChArkaChu
May 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM
' hey guys ' we're sorry ' we forgot page 5 ' we're in a rush when we uploaded the files ' we will upload it soon ' enjoy !!

pokerus34
May 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
About the Background thingys...

Change the background color, and it's not a newspaper... :)

I would like to maintain it white, or else i'll be making a magazine. :)

P.S.

JX Valentine
May 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I think part of it might be that Pokerus just uses stuff his supporters supply, but I don't know how much he goes and finds himself...

If he did get those articles sent into him, it's strange that he didn't provide bylines, added addresses at the bottom of the pages linking to the pages, and allowed excerpts from them to appear in his newsletter word-for-word. =/ Basically speaking, even if he received this from a contributor, allowing it to appear is still plagiarism.

Additionally, if we're talking about the grammatical errors, then part of an editor's job is to find a copyeditor to look over things before putting it in his paper.

GreenStorm
May 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
About the Background thingys...

Change the background color, and it's not a newspaper... :)

I would like to maintain it white, or else i'll be making a magazine. :)

P.S.

Why not a white texture? Wouldn't that be better?

Sakari
May 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hey everyone thanks for commenting, I'm going to ask poke urs to let me edit it when he is finished, I will fix it up in gimp, And i'll most likely make a new logo.

ChArkaChu
May 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
' we need more news for the next issue ' we need help !! ' and uhmm any more suggestions ?? '

Gold95
May 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Very nice paper bro!

the sprites are in jpg and jpeg format... they should be PNG then the'll not take out those white lines...

And my graphics are not printed!

pokerus34
May 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
If he did get those articles sent into him, it's strange that he didn't provide bylines, added addresses at the bottom of the pages linking to the pages, and allowed excerpts from them to appear in his newsletter word-for-word. =/ Basically speaking, even if he received this from a contributor, allowing it to appear is still plagiarism.

Additionally, if we're talking about the grammatical errors, then part of an editor's job is to find a copyeditor to look over things before putting it in his paper.

So What are you saying Valentine? Just don't add the URLs?

Wait a minute!

I'm getting frustrated about this Background thingy...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but THERE IS NO NEWSPAPER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD THAT IS NOT WHITE IN THE BACKGROUND!"

Make it colored and it's a magazine...

P.S.

Åzurε
May 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM
What he means is, even if you find the stuff on other people's websites, don't do a word for word copy. Try to make it original somehow. My comments for the Did-you-knows are what he's getting at, I think.

About the background, white or a very pale color will work. It's alright to add stuff in the background, IMO, it makes it look better. But make them a color which doesn't interfere with the words. Once again, pale colors are your friend.

For Issue 3 you could have a tally on how many people jumped off bridges as opposed to cliffs upon finding out it wasn't a GSC remake!
*shot*

pokerus34
May 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Mooglizer...

This:

About the background, white or a very pale color will work. It's alright to add stuff in the background, IMO, it makes it look better. But make them a color which doesn't interfere with the words. Once again, pale colors are your friend.

I don't know why or what the heck is the problem with the eyesites of the readers, but it works for my friends! We can see it clearly! :)

But, sure, I'll make something out'o that! :)

P.S. = OK Let's tally... Umm, What do you mean exactly? :)

Gymnotide
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You should make the background something stylized. Different layers of highly-transparent, alpha'd textures. You should also consider larger padding for the text and a larger logo that can take up a good portion of the header. Really, it would look much more interesting.

Also, I can't finish the crossword because it's missing 8-across.

pokerus34
May 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
As you wish Gymontide. :)

And number 8: OMG! I missed again!

Sorry...

Well, no.8 is "Reverse World :)

PokemonMichael
May 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Yay for random FAQ's! 8D This is really good! :D

pokerus34
May 6th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Well, PokemonMicheal! Just dont forget to submit some faqs! To tell you the truth, it helped me a lot!

P.S.

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
FAQs would be a nice additon to the newspaper, I think it will be useful for a lot of people. :)

JX Valentine
May 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
What he means is, even if you find the stuff on other people's websites, don't do a word for word copy. Try to make it original somehow. My comments for the Did-you-knows are what he's getting at, I think.

1. Female. *points to the postbit*

2. I was talking about the featurette and the article about GSDS, both of which were copied word-for-word from the URLs he added at the bottom of each page. If anything, I said that your did-you-knows were inaccurate (at least, for the first issue; the ones for this issue seem to be fine, albeit a little subjective with the "Ash needs to grow a pair" comment, considering anyone who tries to punch out Mewtwo most likely has a pair after all).

3. I was not saying either remove the URLs or paraphrase because even a paraphrase without proper credit is plagiarism. (In fact, if he removed the URLs, that'd actually make things worse because he'd be stripping the articles from any form of credit whatsoever, therefore doing pretty much straight-up theft.) I was saying if he wants to add anything that he found on another website, he needs to ask for permission to use it and to add full and proper credit, including correct URLs (i.e., double-checking URLs before printing, considering the ones he offered for the articles in which he plagiarized are incorrect) and the author's name.
3a. If he doesn't get that permission, he can't use the content. Period. He'd basically be stealing content if he did, which doesn't look good for his paper. Thus, he'd have to come up with something completely different in order to fill his paper.
3b. As a note, this doesn't mean you can't say things like "we did a study about Platinum, and here's our review that we've compiled ourselves" or "we obtained information from the official Nintendo website Pokemon.com about an upcoming event." It just means you can't use someone else's article on a fansite or other non-official-news site -- paraphrased or not -- without permission and credit first.

4. I was also saying that if someone else sent in those articles that happened to be plagiarized, allowing them to appear in his paper without fact-checking and verifying sources and permission first would still mean he's plagiarizing either way, considering he's the editor and the one posting the shebang. So, just because someone else might've sent it in doesn't mean he's off the hook in terms of plagiarism.
4a. Also, that even if someone else sent in the article, it's his job to find someone to proofread it and his job to make sure it's correct before it appears in his paper. That's what an editor does.

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Giving the URL of the site, and the original author of the work would help keep you away from Plagiarism. I think it would be better to summarize the information and still give the resources.

For example, when I placed that quote I made sure to give the author's name...(Sadly, it wasn't listed, but I should have been smarter and known to post the Site where I found it xD) Maybe next time I and other will know to do this so we keep away from a direct word-to-word copy.

GreenStorm
May 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Pokerus, a WHITE texture. it doesn't have to be a different color. Just plain white, is, well, plain and boring. A texture would spice things up a bit.

pokerus34
May 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
*GreenStorm* Yeah... I really keep the white color.

*Flash/Valentine* So this means "We include the URL" and "We do the features/news our own words"... Is this right?

P.S.

zerwey
May 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM
The newspaper is great, but, as said before, the text is hard to read -- the background color should be changed.

pokerus34
May 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Dude...

I hate to say this but I won't change the Background Color...

Plain white makes it a newspaper!

Thanks for the idea, though! :)

P.S.

ChArkaChu
May 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
' yeah maintain white colore ' but lets add more designs

Åzurε
May 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
D'oh on the guy/girl mix-up. And agreed on the Ash bit.
Anyhow, yes on the designs, a little texture and occasionally a sillhouette of a pokemon or something like the one panel is great. I don't have poor vision, it's just a matter of how much one has to actually try to read it, as opposed to just reading it. Like the colors for the entirety of the forum here. It's not just black-on-white, which hurts my eyes when I have a headache, it's a very pale, subdued gray and almost black lettering. Try something like that.

...and remember: Pale is your friend. :P

dark charmander
May 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
can i join the graphics team?

pokerus34
May 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM
OK, Dark Charmander!

Well, Moderators can close this thread...

So Here's my Final Words:

*Dark Charmander accepted as Graphics! Submit me some banners!
*Staff! Submit your contributions for the next issues please!
*Issue 3 frontpage: GOLD AND SILVER REMAKE - HeartGold and SoulSilver (Or whatever the title is!)

P.S.

Azumi
May 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Something I wanna point out before this gets closed.

Your crossword is VAGUE. Who knows what you're referring to when you just say "Professor", or "Battle Frontier", or whatever that's on there. What the heck do you mean? Some kid could just write anything on it and he might not even know if it's right!

If you want to make a good crossword puzzle, give easy yet precise guidelines about the word. Look up the website for good crossword puzzles. You'll improve that way?

(If I screwed up again and someone tells me it's not like that, please let me die...)

pokerus34
May 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM
OK that's harsh...

But I'm after a hard crossword... No lame kid might right something wrong about that...

For our crossword, VAGUE is a praising term, not a negative term... PEACE! :)

Well, I'll try to make it a little less VAGUE next time. Thanks for the Comment!

P.S. = OK now close this THREAD! :)

GreenStorm
May 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Pokerus, you're going to have a lot of harsh comments. The world isn't nice. I would say more but Valentine said what I wanted to say already.

pokerus34
May 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
OK... OK...

It's just that I'm not used to harsh....

Nobody's Harsh in my World... We're all peaceful! :)

LOL...

Well, I'll try to make the crossword nice and easy...

P.S. *POKEMON XD* I'm having problems with fitting your interview on the paper...

Hahaha! :)