PDA

View Full Version : I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type...

Winson
May 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I've been like this for a very long time now... I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type... He meant to be the polar opposite of Ho-oh, which its element is Fire, so Lugia should be Water. Many people, including myself, expected that before Pokemon Gold/Silver were introduced. If anyone can explain why it ended up as Psychic/Flying Type and should stay that way, please do, I really want to put this to rest.

There are also some few other things I have issues about as well but I currently can't remember them all...

One of those things is that I think Salamance should be named as Flygon since his first two stages have 'gon' at the end of their names and that in Pokemon descriptions says that he longs for the day he can finally fly when he is at its first two stages. When he reaches his third stage, he can finally fly. Not to mention that he learns the move 'Fly' when he evolves into Salamence. Which comes down to two words: the word 'Fly' when he can fly; and the word 'Gon' because it's the end of his first two stages' names. Combine the two words together and you get a 'Flygon', which is the most appropriate name for Salamence.

YellowPen
May 5th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I always wondered why Rhyhorn, Rhydon and Rhyperior aren't a steel type
Cause they are the drill pokemon, and drill are typically made out of steel

I guess they already had two types in Gen 1 before steel was introduced

Master Terrador
May 5th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well...What about Gyrados...How is it Flying...It should be Dragon in my opinion...I always thought it was a mistake...And never changed it due to lack of consistency...And I thought Lugia should be water too...Due to its title of Guardian of the SEA...

And for Salamence...Its Sala means its a Salamander Dragon...For Ex...Look under its legs...neck...And tail...Its Red...And I'm pretty sure its slimy...I'm pretty sure the Blue Skin is like a Salamader's Slimy skin...Those are my Feelings towards the Types...

Haza
May 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Lugia should be Water/Flying IMO tpp. Yeah he can speak telepatically but many Pokemon can do that.

Winson
May 5th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I always wondered why Rhyhorn, Rhydon and Rhyperior aren't a steel type
Cause they are the drill pokemon, and drill are typically made out of steel

I guess they already had two types in Gen 1 before steel was introducedWell, like you said, Gen 1 didn't have Steel Type so Rhyhorn and Rhydon are not Steel Type. As for Rhyperior, I don't really know, it's very debatable...

Well...What about Gyrados...How is it Flying...It should be Dragon in my opinion...I always thought it was a mistake...And never changed it due to lack of consistency...And I thought Lugia should be water too...Due to its title of Guardian of the SEA...

And for Salamence...Its Sala means its a Salamander Dragon...For Ex...Look under its legs...neck...And tail...Its Red...And I'm pretty sure its slimy...I'm pretty sure the Blue Skin is like a Salamader's Slimy skin...Those are my Feelings towards the Types...And also Lugia is the polar opposite of Ho-oh, another reason why he should be Water.

I partially agree with you about Gyarados. Believe it or not, Gyarados can only learn one Flying-Type move, the move 'Bounce', which is generally not a very good move. But then again, if Gyarados were to be a Dragon Type, he'd be too powerful to battle against, which makes his only weakness being Dragon-Type moves which people rarely use since Dragon-Type moves only works well against Dragons Types. He's already hard to take down without electric moves as it is.

JP
May 5th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I can see why it should be a water/flying type, but at the same time... It would have a real advantage against it's polar opposite. fire/flying vs. water/flying... it's quite obvious who would have the advantage here. I'm thinking they simply didn't want one bird overpowering the other, so they made one of them something else/flying. And if it's really that important, it's not like he doesn't learn any water type moves (hydro pump anyone?)

The other one that's always bothered me is the same as someone else posted above... Gyrados not being a dragon type. It would have made more sense to me for it to be water/dragon than flying/water, but whatever lol.

Haza
May 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I actaully prefer Gyrados' current typing because he is bulky enough already. I guess Lugias is okay too.

Winson
May 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I can see why it should be a water/flying type, but at the same time... It would have a real advantage against it's polar opposite. fire/flying vs. water/flying... it's quite obvious who would have the advantage here. I'm thinking they simply didn't want one bird overpowering the other, so they made one of them something else/flying. And if it's really that important, it's not like he doesn't learn any water type moves (hydro pump anyone?)

The other one that's always bothered me is the same as someone else posted above... Gyrados not being a dragon type. It would have made more sense to me for it to be water/dragon than flying/water, but whatever lol.Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

And about Gyarados, read my last post before this one. I've edited it to make my point about Gyarados.

Psyburn
May 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I LIKE my psychic/flying hybrid fyi.

Winson
May 5th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I LIKE my psychic/flying hybrid fyi.But Lugia is so hard to take down, just look at Ho-oh, he's easy to take down with Rock-Type moves but Lugia just so happens to have High Defense and High Special Defense and have no quad-effective weaknesses...

bobandbill
May 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
In fact, Gyarados, besides the whole 'if it was Water/Dragon type... game breakage!' thing, is actually based on a legend involving a flying carp that became something like what Gyarados is. Here's a bit on that - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Origin - I suppose that the flying bit involves the carp 'flying' over the gate and so forth.

As for Lugia... well, as noted, there is the point of the fact that it would possibly then proceed to further own Ho-oh and all... although it is slightly odd on the face of it. But IMO it being Psychic isn't completely non-sensical either, and I'm fine with it. It has some water-typed moves as well. But at any rate, its signature move is Aeroblast, a flying-type move. Hmm, interesting...

Master Terrador
May 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM
But if its Psychic...Back in Gen. II the only two Psychic moves it could learn were Psychic (TM) and future Sight...But Ho~oh could also learn this...Yet it can learn Hydro Pump...Rain Dance...Surf...and many more Water moves...

And on Gyrados...I've seen that...And Gyrados is not a carp...It Evolved from a carp...Yet at the same time it says it was based off a Sea DRAGON...But I see where your going with this...

And Lugia is Supposed to be hard to take down...It has Very high Def. And Sp.Def...While Ho-oh has Very high offensive stats and A lot more weaknesses...While it keeps the Same Sp. Def Stat as Lugia...It has more weaknesses...Giving it the Classification of a Sweeper...And Lugia a Wall...

Spinosaurus
May 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Well, like you said, Gen 1 didn't have Steel Type so Rhyhorn and Rhydon are not Steel Type. As for Rhyperior, I don't really know, it's very debatable...

And also Lugia is the polar opposite of Ho-oh, another reason why he should be Water.
Ahem Magnemite=Steel/Electric.
So....

Psyburn
May 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
But Lugia is so hard to take down, just look at Ho-oh, he's easy to take down with Rock-Type moves but Lugia just so happens to have High Defense and High Special Defense and have no quad-effective weaknesses...

You dont need to have quad effective moves to take down half the pokemon in this game tbh. Besides, its a legendary, high defense is expected. Just use a Rotom to rape it, really :P

Also, none of the legendaries seem to be real polar opposites in anything. Dialga and Palkia are Steel and Water which doesn't make any real sense to me. But im like "ok".

Dragonzord
May 5th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I think they messed up with salamence and flygon, mabey a mistranslation, and they just kept it.

Also, if gyarados is water/flying.....WHY CANT IT FLY?!?!

And the lugia thing, it shouldve been water flying or mabey water psy??? but still with flying moves

bobandbill
May 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM
And on Gyrados...I've seen that...And Gyrados is not a carp...It Evolved from a carp...Yet at the same time it says it was based off a Sea DRAGON...But I see where your going with this...Well, based off a sea dragon which was a carp fish, so I suppose that's were they got the typing. It does seem odd, but heck, there are always some things that appear odd to use when it comes to Pokemon. XD Either way though I don't see it changing - they've been happy to keep it like this for so long, and changing its typing is basically kicking the canon of what it is - a Water/Flying type - in the face, I suppose. -_-

Also, if gyarados is water/flying.....WHY CANT IT FLY?!?!

And the lugia thing, it shouldve been water flying or mabey water psy??? but still with flying moves I don't see that oversized dragon thing flying ever. XD
And I'd question a giant bird Pokemon not being a Flying Type Pokemon even more, actually. =/

Mitchman
May 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM
It can breathe in the water with its psychic powers and all. So I guess you can use that as an excuse.

zerwey
May 5th, 2009, 07:37 AM
How about Psyduck and Golduck? They can both use Psychic-type moves. Psyduck has the word "psychic" in his name, and Golduck is designed to look psychic, what with the gem on its forehead.

However, they are both classified as Water types. I think a Psychic type should be added to them.

Psyburn
May 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
However, they are both classified as Water types. I think a Psychic type should be added to them.

That would explain why my shadow sneak never super eff. them...ever. >_>

Poliwagged
May 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM
This is something that bothered me when I first captured Lugia during my first play of Gold.

When I first encountered it, I was like "Oh this is def. Water/Flying" *catch* *disappointment*.

Spinosaurus
May 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
This is something that bothered me when I first captured Lugia during my first play of Gold.

When I first encountered it, I was like "Oh this is def. Water/Flying" *catch* *disappointment*.
Dont you mean "Silver",beside why did you got Dessapinted,Psychic Types are one of the strongest type actully.Still,Lugia learns Water attacks so..

Rubber Ducky
May 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Lugia controls ocean currents, which sounds like it takes a certain degree of psychic power. Besides, there's already a bird of moisture, Articuno.

The Scientist
May 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

And about Gyarados, read my last post before this one. I've edited it to make my point about Gyarados.

Actually, since Groudon is slower, Sunny Day would take effect (if he's battling Kyogre), so Kyogre's STAB Water moves would be halved. It actually does balance out pretty well.

BHwolfgang
May 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Lugia should be Water/Flying IMO tpp. Yeah he can speak telepatically but many Pokemon can do that. That's because those who can speak telpetatically are generally Phychic.

Azonic
May 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
That's because those who can speak telpetatically are generally Phychic.
Lapras isn't, and it used telepathy during one of the Santa episodes.

coolcatkim22
May 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Why isn't Lugia a water type?

Well you see. Lugia didn't always live in the water and was the 'diving' Pokemon.

If you remember he lived in the Brass Tower before he lived around the Whirlpool Islands. When the tower got burned down he had to leave.

I assume, he got caught on fire and had to dive into the waters around the Whirlpool Islands. This is why he lives there and why heis not as feathery as Ho-oh.

As for him being Psychic, I believe it is suppose to represent the mind while Ho-Oh's Fire is suppose to represent the spirit. So they were the birds of mind and spirit.

However, after the fire they took on new identities. Ho-oh represented unite and Lugia represented solitarily.

Or, that's what I think at least.

Why isn't Salamence called Flygon?

Because Bagon's and Shelgon's japanese names don't end with gon. Flygon's, however, does.

Why isn't Gyarados a dragon type?

I'm only going to say this once.

BECAUSE YOU CAN FIND THEM FREAKIN EVERYWHERE YOU IDIOT!!!!! IT WOULD BE WAAAAAY TOO EASY TO GET A DRAGON TYPE!!!!!1+SHIFT!!! AND WE CAN'T MAKE THEM RARER BECAUSE THAT WOULD DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF MAGIKARP!!!!!!!!!

That's is all.

Why aren't Psyduck and Golduck psychic types?

That's a very good question.

It's mostly likely due to the fact the psychic type was one of the most powerful types at the time making psychic types harder to catch.
So, they decided to make it a little bit easier for players by giving them a Pokemon that wasn't psychic but could at least use psychic moves.

JP
May 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

Right... but those guys came way later, and they've got nothing to do with the two birds lol. I'm talking specifically about the two birds, and it's very possible the designers changed their minds about "equal typing" later down the road with those three pokemon.

Artemis
May 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
A water and flying type for Lugia would have made sense, seeing as thought it lived in the Deep sea and can fly so high xD I agree with this, maybe it should have been water/flying instead. :)

Ashmi
May 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I never really understood that, either. You'd think the guardian of the sea would at least be water-type.

Sebastien Loeb
May 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Lugia has always been considered a defensive Pokémon absolutely, his/her presence in the uber metagame is fundamental to stop a lot of sweeper, and it is a Psyco-Flying.

Opposite Day
May 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Actually, since Groudon is slower, Sunny Day would take effect (if he's battling Kyogre), so Kyogre's STAB Water moves would be halved. It actually does balance out pretty well.

Actually, I think they both have a base speed of 90.

It's mostly likely due to the fact the psychic type was one of the most powerful types at the time making psychic types harder to catch.
So, they decided to make it a little bit easier for players by giving them a Pokemon that wasn't psychic but could at least use psychic moves.

But even then, it is still kind of annoying and confusing that Psyduck and Golduck's most powerful Psychic-attack by level up is Confusion, and that they couldn't even learn Psychic by a TM until this generation.. -.-

Elite Champion
May 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Porygon-z is Normal

i think he should be steel or psychic

and gyarados< WTH he's flying

Artemis
May 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
It would have actually made a lot of sense to make Lugia the Water/Flying type as its opposite, Ho-oh, is a Fire/Flying type. Then again, only they (The Creators) really knew why they made it a Psychic/Flying type instead xD

Opposite Day
May 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'd say it should be Water/Fighting, with Levitate! Then they'd be polar opposites.
Come on, it's got those ARMS for a reason, right? Right?

CureYoshiDarkness
May 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I think that Lugia should be Dragon/Water with the ability Levitate.
Lugia looks like a dragon doesn't he!?

pokerus34
May 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Lugia should be Water/Flying type... After all, in the games, Lugia is the counterpart of Ho-oh... And Ho-oh is a Fire/Flying type, so... Lugia should be Water/Flying Type.

P.S.

Winson
May 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Lugia controls ocean currents, which sounds like it takes a certain degree of psychic power. Besides, there's already a bird of moisture, Articuno.Articuno is a Ice/Flying Type, not Water/Flying Type.

♣Gawain♣
May 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Lugia should be maintained as a Psychic/Flying type. It can learn it's STAB moves and such... Although it's called Diving Pokemon and it can learn Water-type moves. It can use telepathy, like in the movie. Ho-oh can't. And those "arms" are wings lightmare. If those are arms, it can't fly lolz.

Lightning Storm
May 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
The reason gyarados and charizard are both flying types instead of dragon is

A. Dragon types are supposed to be rare. These 2 pokemon are incredibly easy to obtain.

B. The dragon type was only added at the very end of the 1st gen, when they made dragonite. It's the ONLY 1st gen dragon type, so they pretty much added it simultaneously with him. They didn't want to go back and fix gyarados and charizard, so they left them as flying types. I'm pretty sure that's right >.>

Opposite Day
May 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Lugia should be maintained as a Psychic/Flying type. It can learn it's STAB moves and such... Although it's called Diving Pokemon and it can learn Water-type moves. It can use telepathy, like in the movie. Ho-oh can't. And those "arms" are wings Lightmare. If those are arms, it can't fly lolz.

That's why his ability should be Levitate, lolz - a light flapping of it's arms/wings might blow down houses, so why shouldn't it be able to control that to a slightly lesser degree?
I mean, Hariyama can learn Whirlwind, yet it has no wings.. OH right! It can probably do some special "Air gathering technique" with its arms, that allows it to some sort of control the wind due to it's Fighting-type. So why can't Lugia do the same? ;)

My entire idea with drastically changing his typing and his ability was the fact that

1) He's supposed to be a counterpart to Ho-oh, right? Then it's a nice match up, Flying vs Fighting, Water vs Fire.

2) That way, he can also serve as a COUNTER-part to most opponents. ^^

3) I wanted to make a crazy theory. lol.

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Seeing Lugia as the counterpart would have worked out really nicely and could have even made a great movie with a battle between Lugia and Ho-oh [seeing as Ho-Oh still hasn't gotten its own movie] xD Though, having Psychic types moves to its advantage is nice too, plus it would keep it away from a 4x weakness to electric moves.

ShinjisLover
May 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
As for me, I think Lugia should be a Psychic/Flying. But, as for any difficult question, research is always in order.

Lugia are thought to be the leaders of the legendary birds of Kanto. Much like the birds, it possesses the ability to control the weather, most notably it can calm storms. They are highly intelligent, and because of the devastating power it could accidentally inflict, it isolates itself deep underwater.

To elaborate, Lugia are able to control the whether. How else but with Psychic powers.

Now, let's look at its movepool.
Water-type Moves:

Hydro Pump
Rain Dance

Psychic-type Moves:

Extrasensory
Calm Mind
Future Sight

There's ONE more psychic move. But these are just the moves it can learn via level-up. What about the rest?

Water

Water Pulse
Brine
Surf
Waterfall
Aqua Tail
Dive

Psychic

Light Screen
Psychic
Reflect
Rest
Skill Swap
Dream Eater
Trick
Zen Headbutt

It learns two more psychic-type moves as compared to the water-type moves.

In conclusion, it's psychic-type for its ability to control the weather and it only lives in the water to protect other people from its awesome powers. As for being the 'polar opposite' of Ho-Oh, the dex entries never once stated that. That is simply an observation by the fans. So it has never been explicitly stated by anyone or anything other than a fan that it is Ho-Oh's polar opposite, thus that's not a good back-up argument.

Rubber Ducky
May 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Articuno is a Ice/Flying Type, not Water/Flying Type.

I know, but when it flaps its wings it freezes water in the air.

Superjub
May 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
To be honest, if they changed its type now, it would confuse the players. Meh, I guess we'll just have to cope with it being flying/psychic. Although I agree, but then again, why isn't Groudon fire as isn't it meant to be the opposite of Kyogre? :\ Also, when I was younger, I always thought it waf flying and water anyway. :P It would make more sense if it was water and flying though, as apart from it speaking telepathicaly and what-not, it doesn't really seem like a Psychic type, plus it usually resides in (minus XD) a place filled with water. :\ (Or in water itself, plus it learns quite a few water type moves, like Hydro Pump. :\)

Artemis
May 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I do not think they would go and change the typing of it now. Though, Lugia is the only Pokémon to learn Hydro Pumpo and not be a water type, adding on a rarity to it as it is a Psychic type instead.

coolcatkim22
May 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
But even then, it is still kind of annoying and confusing that Psyduck and Golduck's most powerful Psychic-attack by level up is Confusion, and that they couldn't even learn Psychic by a TM until this generation.. -.-

Back in gen 1 psychic types were gods.
Psychic types were super powerful for the fact that the ghost types were part poison and the bug types were not very powerful.
They could only do so much without making psyduck/golduck too powerful.

Besides, Psyduck's/Golduck's only psychic move by level up was confusion and you could get one with psychic through trading from g/s/c.

Porygon-z is Normal

You don't know if the Porygons are made out of steel. They could be made out of plastic.
Also, there isn't any confirmation that they are psychic.

white lancer
May 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm fine with Lugia being Psychic/Flying...I was confused when it wasn't part Water, but now that it's been that way for so long it would be hard to adjust to a change, plus I wouldn't want it to have that x4 weakness to Electric attacks.

Always thought the Gyarados thing was strange, but as someone said, it wouldn't be very hard to obtain a Dragon type if Gyarados was part Dragon. I may not agree with it completely but I understand where they are coming from.

I do think Psyduck and Golduck should be part Psychic, though. I also always thought Vaporeon should be part Ice, but I understand why they did that, too--it would mess up the pattern they had going with the Eeveelutions.

[center]As for me, I think Lugia should be a Psychic/Flying. But, as for any difficult question, research is always in order.

Lugia are thought to be the leaders of the legendary birds of Kanto. Much like the birds, it possesses the ability to control the weather, most notably it can calm storms. They are highly intelligent, and because of the devastating power it could accidentally inflict, it isolates itself deep underwater.

To elaborate, Lugia are able to control the whether. How else but with Psychic powers.

Well, like I said I agree that Lugia's Psychic/Flying typing is fine. But that argument doesn't make much sense, lol. The example you cite states that the legendary birds of Kanto are able to control the weather, and they do it without Psychic powers, so why would Lugia need Psychic powers to do the same thing?

But I agree that Lugia hides underwater not because it has any affinity towards it but because it is trying to protect the world from its overwhelming strength.

fenyx4
May 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
As for me, I think Lugia should be a Psychic/Flying. But, as for any difficult question, research is always in order.

In conclusion, it's psychic-type for its ability to control the weather and it only lives in the water to protect other people from its awesome powers. As for being the 'polar opposite' of Ho-Oh, the dex entries never once stated that. That is simply an observation by the fans. So it has never been explicitly stated by anyone or anything other than a fan that it is Ho-Oh's polar opposite, thus that's not a good back-up argument.

Using Lugia's Psychic-type to justify its weather-controlling ability is not good, either. Groudon and Kyogre can both alter the weather with the abilities Drought and Drizzle respectively; they're not Psychic-type. Though Rayquaza cannot physically alter weather, it can negate weather effects with the Air Lock ability. It's not Psychic-type either.

Even Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow can alter the weather (Sand Stream and Snow Warning), and they're not even legendary, let alone Psychic-type. To "calm storms", as the Dex Entry says, Lugia could equally have Air Lock/Cloud Nine as its ability, essentially negating the effects of "storms" (Rain Dance's Water-type boost, Thunder's no-miss accuracy in rainfall). However, that would draw from Rayquaza's uniqueness.

With Lugia as Water/Flying, the creators could still let it possess a Psychic movepool, if it absolutely needs one. Even though the ability would be more fitting for Articuno, Lugia could have Snow Warning to display a unique weather-altering power. (The only reasons I'm doing a Hail-based ability are:

1. As Lugia is the Guardian of the Sea, and Hail is composed of ice (derived from water), the element fits. Again, I believe Articuno is more fitting for Snow Warning, though it would disrupt the equal abilities of its trio.
*I know a Snow Warning Lugia would hurt itself with Hail, but Groudon and Kyogre potentially set themselves up for KOs with their abilities (speedy Pkmn using Solarbeam on Groudon with Drought/Thunder on Kyogre with Drizzle)

2. Hail (transformed water) could be seen as a counter to Ho-oh. Instead of Pressure, Ho-oh could have Drought (since it is associated with fire and the sun).

3. Hail would give Lugia a weather-altering power without the need to go Psychic-type.

As for a Water/Flying Lugia, that is only to be seen as a counterpart to Ho-oh. While not stated to be polar opposites, many of Lugia's and Ho-oh's respective associations counter each other. Also, both Pokemon equally get a 4x weakness. Ho-oh gets an additional weakness to water because of its higher attacking stats.

Also, to preserve "uniqueness" (among legendaries only), if Groudon lost Drought to Ho-oh, it could take up Sand Stream instead, as that is its primary type. However, Groudon w/Drought better fits among the surrounding legends.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like mainly Gyarados (and maybe Charizard, though I like that its Flying-type suits its ACTUAL ABILITY TO FLY!) to be Dragon-type, too sadly, that could make them too over-powered. However, changes could be made in stats and movepools to lessen the threat and retain the Dragon-typing.

I got annoyed about the Bagon > Shelgon =/= Flygon, since the names are very suggestive of such a dragon family, rather than Salamence, which hints more towards salamander. But, I guess I can let Salamence be the "menace" that it is. ;) And anyway, "Flygon"could doubly imply that it's a dragonfly...

And lastly, WHY didn't they make Yanmega Bug/Dragon? It's a much better type combo than the repetitive Bug/Flying we've seen like a thousand times already.
Now how are we going to get a Bug/Dragon Pokemon?

All these inconsistencies just make me wanna get PokeSav and alter abilties and types to fit! Sigh... Anyway, it's just my opinion.

*When I'm dealing with Lugia and the like, I'm more concerned with the legends fitting the Pokemon rather than the Pokemon fitting the competitive scene. I'm not really that competitive, but I'll use competitive Pokemon sets if I need/want to. Sorry for the long post!

zerwey
May 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Porygon-z is Normal

Agreed. Porygon and its evolutions should be classified as Psychic types; with Normal, they're pretty weak. ):

As for Lugia, I would agree with it being Water/Psychic type, but I don't really care either way since I don't use it xD.

Artemis
May 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Agreed. Porygon and its evolutions should be classified as Psychic types; with Normal, they're pretty weak. ):

As for Lugia, I would agree with it being Water/Psychic type, but I don't really care either way since I don't use it xD.

Lugia would be stuck with its Flying type, as for Water and Psychic it can go either way, but they stuck it out with Psychic, and there most likely won't be going back to fix that.

As for Porygon, just because it can learn a few Psychic moves doesn't mean it nessecary to have it as a psychic type. There isn't much backing it for it even being part Psychic. xD

coolcatkim22
May 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Is anybody going to read my posts or is everybody just going to ignore it like the plague?

BHwolfgang
May 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hopefully, we could see a change in Lugia's abilities and movesets in Soul Silver...

Lapras isn't, and it used telepathy during one of the Santa episodes. Generally speaking, Pokémons who uses telpepathy are Phychic Pokémons.

Translator
May 10th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Well, I agree that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type and I really don't understand why did they make Lugia into a part Psychic and Flying type and besides Water is the opposite of Fire and Ho-Oh is a Fire/Flying type. So, I really think that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type.

.:Kanto:.
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
..Lugia isn't water? o_o" I never knew!

BHwolfgang
May 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Well, I agree that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type and I really don't understand why did they make Lugia into a part Psychic and Flying type and besides Water is the opposite of Fire and Ho-Oh is a Fire/Flying type. So, I really think that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type. If Lugia was Water/Flying, it would probably be one-sided. Water/Flying > Fire/Flying.

ShinjisLover
May 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
For everyone who commented that the birds and Kyogre and Groudon are also able to control the weather without being psychic-types (that would be a LOT of quoting if I quoted, so I'll make this general. XD), I have to say this.

Groudon and Kyogre control weather that corresponds with their typings. Groudon creates a drought and Kyogre makes it rain.

The legendary birds are the same. Zapdos controls electricity and thunderstorms, Articuno controls blizzards, and Moltres seems to bring about spring.

(Citations: The Pokédex, Source (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page))

Zapdos DPPt: (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Zapdos_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries)

A legendary Pokémon that is said to live inside thunder clouds. It can freely control thunder.

Articuno DPPt: (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Articuno_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries)

A legendary bird Pokémon. It can create blizzards by freezing moisture in the air.

Moltres DPPt: (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Moltres_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries)

One of the legendary bird Pokémon. It is said that spring will soon arrive if Moltres shows itself.

Thusly, they don't NEED to be psychic. Why? Because they only control weather that corresponds with their type.

Lugia seems to be able to control unspecific types of weather. Also, since Kyogre was created, there's no need for Lugia to be a Water-type.

Tulips And Clover
May 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well, I kind of agree. Plus it's blue and it does look like a water type.

Artemis
May 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Color isn't always the best thing to jugde a Pokémon on their typing. I have to say that even if I would like Lugia to have been water/flying, I don't agree with that a Pokémon has to be psychic to control something.

coolcatkim22
May 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with flash.
When I first saw ralts and it's evos I thought they were grass types because they were green.

ZestyCactus
May 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but I always thought that Gyarados should be a Dragon-type D;

ShinjisLover
May 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I don't agree with that a Pokémon has to be psychic to control something.

Yes, but since there's already a water-type legendary that controls the weather, I guess they decided to keep Lugia a psychic-type.

coolcatkim22
May 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
You guys do realise he didn't always live around water right?

ShinjisLover
May 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Lugia mostly lives around water. It's very rare to see a Lugia out of the water due to its destructive powers:

Lugia is so powerful even a light fluttering of its wings can blow apart houses. As a result, it chooses to live out of sight deep under the sea.

coolcatkim22
May 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Before he lived underwater he lived in the brass tower.
You really need to read storylines.

ShinjisLover
May 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Dude, that was Ho-Oh. . This is Lugia.

coolcatkim22
May 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ho-oh lived in the Tin Tower.
Lugia lived in the Brass Tower.

ShinjisLover
May 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Oh, right, my bad. Even then, this really has nothing to do with Lugia's current typing situation. What does the Brass Tower have to do wit anything?

white lancer
May 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
He just made a point on your side, actually. Lugia wasn't always the guardian of the sea. Heck, it didn't even live anywhere near the water until the Brass Tower burned down, so why would it be a Water-type? I doubt anyone would be saying that Lugia should be part Water if it still lived on the Brass Tower.

ShinjisLover
May 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
But I never said it should be a Water-type. . O.o I was all for it being a Psychic-type.

EDIT: Or is that what ya meant? XD If so, what's the point of bringing that up?

Teh Blazer
May 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
In my opinion, water/flying is x4 effective from electricity. Do you any other legends that are x4 effective on anything?

ShinjisLover
May 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Err. . Moltres has a double weakness to Rock-types. . So, yeah.

white lancer
May 14th, 2009, 11:54 PM
But I never said it should be a Water-type. . O.o I was all for it being a Psychic-type.

EDIT: Or is that what ya meant? XD If so, what's the point of bringing that up?

I wasn't arguing against you in my last post, I was arguing on your side, XD. And that's exactly what coolkatkim22 was saying--both of us were making points against Lugia being part Water-type, which is what you've been doing all along, isn't it?

Err. . Moltres has a double weakness to Rock-types. . So, yeah.

Not to mention Ho-oh itself. Oh, and Celebi has a x4 weakness to Bug, although that's a little less likely to be taken advantage of.

ItzMike
May 15th, 2009, 01:07 AM
i'm gonna go out on a whim here and say.

Lugia was made psychic/flying to give ho-oh a chance.

I mean if it was Water/flying that would give its water moves stab. meaning ho-oh would be useless against it.

Then attach rain dance and mystic water? and what do you have. an almost unstoppable lugia? Exactly

DarthWaffles
May 15th, 2009, 01:41 AM
You realize that if Lugia was truly the POLAR opposite of Ho-oh, then he should be Ice/Flying?

Although I see your reasoning, I believe Lugia was a Psychic/Flying is sensible enough.

LIke the above poster, Lugia's typing was most likely made because of the fact that he/she would be near unstoppable if made differently. Its like gyarados. He would be overpowered if he was Dragon/Water. The main and pretty much only weakness of Gyarados competitively is Electric attacks, but if he were made Dragon, that weakness would disappear, thus making him ridiculously powerful.

And I end my arguement.

PokemonFanatic2
May 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Salamence should be Flygon, but at the same time it doesn't look like a flygon.

And I always thought that gyrados should be a water and dragon type.. I wonder why they didn't make him one

PalkiaSpace
May 31st, 2009, 12:29 PM
i under stand that lugia is aimed at the opposite f ho-oh, being water type would only make sence. and since it's already flying, it would be X4 damage if it was water, making it even weaker.

ShinjisLover
May 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
And I always thought that gyrados should be a water and dragon type.. I wonder why they didn't make him oneIt's been speculated, but not confirmed, it wasn't made part dragon type due to the lack of dragon-type moves.

I wasn't arguing against you in my last post, I was arguing on your side, XD. And that's exactly what coolkatkim22 was saying--both of us were making points against Lugia being part Water-type, which is what you've been doing all along, isn't it?
Sorry. XD Head colds are such a pain. . >.>

benville
May 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
I think its to put Ho-oh and Lugia on a more even playing field. Making Lugia water would give it the upper hand in battle.

White Glint
May 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Huh? But isn't Ho-oh Fire/Flying? Correction much needed?

Shiny ninetales
May 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
It makes sence, especialy since it can learn water moves. when i was little i actualy thought it was water untill i caught it lol. also i think there is too many psychic lengendarys. every single generation has atleast two psychic legendarys.
(gen I:mew mewtwo
gen II:Lugia, celebi
gen III:Jirachi, deoxys, latias, latios
gen IV: Mespirt, uxie, azelf, cresselia)
THERES TOO MANY!!!!!! maybe they will turn lugia to water in soul silver (or maybe not)

You guys do realise he didn't always live around water right?
It only lives in water because it is afraid that it can do too much damage on land or something like that. ( it says so on the bulbapedia and lugias pokedex entrys)

PokemonFanatic2
May 31st, 2009, 07:41 PM
It's been speculated, but not confirmed, it wasn't made part dragon type due to the lack of dragon-type moves.

Lack of dragon type moves? That's reasonable, but they could've made more moves then.. Even though it would've taken too long to do that anyway

Gary, the Magic Fairy
May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't call them "opposites". They both have a peaceful co-existence. They don't have to be banished to opposite sides of the world to avoid having some huge battle, unlike some other legendaries. They used to live atop the Brass and Tin towers, and never once tried to fight each other. :\ So the whole "Water vs. Fire" thing seems irrelevant to me, since there's not one good reason for them to ever battle.

As said, Lugia aren't naturally from the sea. They have incredible powers that could accidentally cause horrible destruction, so they hide deep in the depths to protect others from being affected by them. Lugia doesn't seem to have any "powers" over water, like, say, Kyogre. They can calm and create storms, but that's more of an atmospheric thing than a strictly water-based ability. It presumably got the "Guardian of the Sea" title after it fled Ecruteak City, and started living in the sea. I think it only lives there because it's the only place it can't do any harm.

Then there's the whole telepathically speaking thing, which, as has been said, is usually considered a Psychic-type power.

There's another thing that could be possible. They have incredibly strong power. This "power" isn't water-specific at all. Psychic types are shown to be very powerful and mysterious. All the psychic types at that time had some special, unnatural power. Mew, Unown, Xatu, Espeon, Wobbuffet... the list goes on. I think it could be purely because Psychic is just more interesting. I mean, it could be in the same class of pokemon that can... swim and squirt water out of their mouths, OR, it could be in with the group that can create invisible walls to block attacks, see the future, eat dreams, teleport, reflect attacks back at the user at twice the power, and travel between dimensions. If I had to choose between placing it into one of those two types of pokemon, I think the choice is obvious.

Isabelle
June 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM
It is usually a water type. But it has more special ability in Psychic Types so it's a Psychic one..and 3 types is impossible. ^^