PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP vs. Windows Vista

Ayano Hana
May 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Windows XP vs. Windows Vista

Well, I didn't see this kind of thread anywhere, so I decided to post it.
If it's in the wrong section, I apologize.
Anyways, yeah, the topic title says it all.
What's better in your opinion, Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Bianca Paragon
May 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Windows Vista. There is no reason outside severe cerebral damage to willingly use an EIGHT YEAR OLD piece of software, on modern hardware. This isn't a "matter of opinion"; it's just logic.

True Reign
May 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Windows Vista.

I like the sleek design to it, lol. XD

Ayano Hana
May 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Windows Vista. There is no reason outside severe cerebral damage to willingly use an EIGHT YEAR OLD piece of software, on modern hardware. This isn't a "matter of opinion"; it's just logic.

Well some people still use Windows XP, and think its better for some reason, but I do agree with you, on the logic > opinion part.

twocows
May 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Windows XP. I concede that Vista is underrated; it isn't as awful as some people make it out to be. The security is about the same (in other words, terrible), though Vista tends to nag more than XP (and the nags are easy to circumvent; ask someone struck by Conficker if they got a UAC prompt). Vista has a bit more eye-candy built in, but that's nothing a few external programs and a re-skin can't fix (or a shell replacement if you're really adventurous). Personally, I turn all that stuff off anyway; all my Microsoft OSes are using a classic scheme with all visual effects set to minimum, no background, and a blank screen screen saver.

Where Vista really loses points for me is its usage of resources; a typical XP installation runs about 30ish processes at any given time, whereas Vista runs about 50 (if you're lucky). I'm a PC gamer for the most part, and I don't like my OS to take away from my framerate. With XP, I can use nLite and strip pretty much everything I don't want out, leaving me with an OS that uses almost no unwanted resources. Granted, vLite can be used to the same end, but it doesn't work as well and it's not as developed.

Bianca Paragon
May 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Windows XP. I concede that Vista is underrated; it isn't as awful as some people make it out to be. The security is about the same (in other words, terrible), though Vista tends to nag more than XP (and the nags are easy to circumvent; ask someone struck by Conficker if they got a UAC prompt). Vista has a bit more eye-candy built in, but that's nothing a few external programs and a re-skin can't fix (or a shell replacement if you're really adventurous). Personally, I turn all that stuff off anyway; all my Microsoft OSes are using a classic scheme with all visual effects set to minimum, no background, and a blank screen screen saver.

Where Vista really loses points for me is its usage of resources; a typical XP installation runs about 30ish processes at any given time, whereas Vista runs about 50 (if you're lucky). I'm a PC gamer for the most part, and I don't like my OS to take away from my framerate. With XP, I can use nLite and strip pretty much everything I don't want out, leaving me with an OS that uses almost no unwanted resources. Granted, vLite can be used to the same end, but it doesn't work as well and it's not as developed.
You're a gamer? Enjoy your lack of DX10 :)

Zet
May 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
you might want to search a bit harder first since this thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=176726 is still alive and kicking