PDA

View Full Version : Is Pokemon childish??

SageDyu
May 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
All of my friends in school tease me because I'm a pokemon fanatic. They say it's for 5 year old's and that it has no value. I completely disagree. I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have? I just want to hear you thoughts! ^_^

Sweet Visions
May 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I think the Pokemon anime is childish, but the games are not. In todays society, you get picked on for anything other then default, so I'm picked on a lot for Pokemon/Anime too, but that's there problem and if they think it's for 5 year olds, they're missing out on the fun.

Wulf
May 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.

bewbs
May 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Pokemon is for all ages. =D

kingofjokers
May 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
the show about kids on adventure yes the game about battling monsters that can kill you but still stay cute and battle to the death is more pg then it ever get even if there isn't blood plus the complex battling system in Pokemon is way to hard for a 5 year old to understand tell that to your friends

Vernikova
May 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.

The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_Pok%C3%A9mon) please.

kingofjokers
May 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_Pok%C3%A9mon) please.

thats the point to fool their friend to try it and they might like it

coolcatkim22
May 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, yes it is.

Now stop denying it or at least stop bringing this up every few weeks.

streetends08
May 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
aww well lets look at this i'm 19 and still love pokemon - still watch the show, collect the plushies, figures and cards. have every game ever made and all the movies i don't think its childish but there will always be people that think differently. i get teased sometimes but i just ignore it because to me its fun and thats all that matters. =)

Inkfingers
May 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Well here's the deal. It's aimed at children and that's thetruth. But that shouldn't stop you from liking something you enjoy. I mean if you like a type of music and your friends don't and tease you about it, does that mean you should stop listening to that music? Of course not, the truth of the matter is is that they're probably hiding something too. They probably like something that's considered embarrassing. Now there is a way tonot make pokemon childish. Read some fanfic. nost of it's FAR from childish because the writers bring pokemon to a more realistic and mature sense. Plus, where I'm from if a girl likes something that's considered childish(like pokemon) it's alright, but if a guys likes it he's practically shunned for life. So don't listen to them, as long asyou're having fun who really cares.

iShini
May 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I pretty much agree with what they mentioned. Yes, it is aimed for kids (especially the English dubbing, which I refuse to watch today, but loved as a child), but yes, it can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.

Would you all like prime examples? My mother completed the Pokedex on Blue. I was more of a battler and I still am. I am a "full grown" lady and I still play Pokemon. Even if it's mostly played by guys that are still in school. XD If I enjoy the game, who cares about everyone else's opinion. They don't care about my opinion, so why should I care about their own? People are silly.

I just think most people like to stir stuff up or try to pass a 'solid belief' that Pokemon is for five-year olds.

Pokeyomom
May 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it's definitely aimed at a younger audience. But like many have said- who really cares? Yes its somewhat illogical, but it's fun and interesting. It can also be more complex when you get into team/deck building, IV's/EV's, prediction, and so on and so forth.

I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have?

I think it is a good way to explore your creative side, and connect with your inner 8 year old- no matter what your age. Today's society puts so much emphasis on only conforming to the "normal" activities. (going to school, working, etc.) And because of this, I think alot of people have lost the art of just being. Pokemon is kinda pointless, but thats the point!

I have a friend who is a really good boxer. You know what he secretly loves? Dragon Ball Z. We all have our quirks. Embrace them.

/End speech lol.

white lancer
May 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Alright, let's see here...

I am 19, a college student who is just finishing up his first year.

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who is going to be my roommate next year. Somehow we got on the subject of favorite TV shows as we were children, and I mentioned Pokémon. This of course led into a conversation about Pokémon in general, and when I mentioned that the games were good ways to pass the time, he told me that his mother sometimes plays the games and challenged me to a Pokémon battle next year when we're rooming together.

So, I would say that, yes, Pokémon is aimed more at younger children than it is at adults...but that doesn't mean that it's not something adults can enjoy. There are actually a lot of people my age or older that either still play the games or have fond memories of playing it; I'd bet that if I did a survey of the kids on my college campus, probably about 75% of them would either still play them or have fun reminiscing about them.

I do believe, however, that that phenomenon isn't going to last. Pokémon is still big nowadays, but it's not as dominant as it used to be. When it first came out and the people my age were growing up, Pokémon was the biggest thing around, and none of its competitors were even close. I'd compare its popularity around that age group to the popularity of the Beatles during the British Invasion--there were a few holdouts, but practically everyone was into Pokémon to some degree. Pokémon cards were even banned at my elementary school because they were distracting the students. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as being as much of a force right now as it was when it first came out, and I think that it will probably lose some of its staying power because of it (i.e. there are fewer people getting into it now to begin with, and fewer of them are likely to stick with it).

Alexithymia~
May 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
They probably play it themselves, :D
Or are a bit bored with their own life, and decide to take it out on yours, eitherway...
Sure, the anime is a little childish, but with IV, EV training.. not every child can understand that.
So, sure, there are elements of pokemon that are childish, but it's not only for children, loads of adults play it.

Pachireecko
May 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Animation = Childish
Games = FUN FOR ALL!!!

1 more badge
May 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM
pokemon isnt just for kids, ive got an 18 year old cousin and he still likes pokemon a bit, hes got loads of card. well at my school i admit ive got pokemon ruby and diamond and im not teased, but the anime is a bit childish these days

♣Gawain♣
May 26th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It depends on how you perceive it. If other people say it's childish to you then you received those comments, yes it's childish.

But to me, it's not childish.

Lt. Silver
May 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
The games are designed to be played by people of all ages. I'd say nerdy but not childish

Chaostorm
May 27th, 2009, 01:24 AM
The Anime looks a bit kiddy , but the game is not , you wont Expect a Child to know about EVs and IVs . Im actually into Competitive Battling more than the anime >.>

giradialkia
May 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Unfortunately for me, there's no explaining EVs and whatnot to my friends, so i must keep my Pokemon-liking side a secret. Sure, the occasional time when we talk about what games we have, i end up saying Pokemon [something], but say that i never play it. They say ''Oh yeah, those games were brilliant!'' but still, they wouldn't accept me.
To a certain extent, a couple of years ago, i was their punch bag for sarcasm, etc. Somehow, unexplainably, the managed to make out that i watched Pokemon (which, strangly enough, i didn't. This was also before they knew i had the games). They'd completely humiliate me for something that they'd made up themselves. So if I proved them right by now admitting to liking Pokemon, i'd be shunned for the rest of my life (in the area, anyways). So, i believe that Pokemon is not childish, but i still can't admit to it.
*sad*.

XxDawnfanxX
May 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I think the anime is aimed at children, but it seems it is aimed for all ages but people can't see by some of the things in it. I personally really like it and still watch. And the games are for everyone, it is a strategy game that requires thought. And its just fun. Pokemon is the best! :)

Electricz
May 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
none of my friends know i like pokemon and they never will pokemon is my secret shame plus it aint childish anyone can like it i know adults that like pokemon still

Monochrome
May 27th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Pssh... Is **** fighting childish to you? I think not!

Vednix
May 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Hm. Well, I like the games, but the anime is plain stupid. To be honest, people tease me at school for liking it, but they're not teasing me so much now, becuase they're more mature now.

.inLOVE
May 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
This is a subject that comes up often, and should really be understood a bit better.

Pokemon is labeled as "childish" because it involves children traveling around and little creatures as their companions. Well, that certainly could be called childish. But there are 40 year olds out there who love Pokemon and are not "nerds" or "childish" at all. As you said in the first post, Pokemon can actually teach people a lot, no matter what their age. It can teach friendship, loyalty, and responsibility. People who label it as "childish" are the real losers because they cannot understand the full potential of "some anime series".

Thundєr
May 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe the series are childish.

But the games aren't, in fact for a child it's hard to play at first. Lvl up, memorizes all the evolutions, types advantages, disadvantages, and other terms.

I say only a part of the media are childish.

charlulz1993
May 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
It looks childish at first, but its fun for every age once you start playing it. my mom is 50 and plays pokemon red for fun.

JeTz
May 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Entertaiment =/= not childish

Donnie
May 28th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ok wat

Pokemon isn't childish, Pokemon was subjected that way from the anime, in which we all know was well.. for younger viewers, thus giving Pokemon the title of "a game for kids" and was laughed upon by older people.

Pokemon isn't childish, it's perfectly normal to like Pokemon at your age(judging by your information) I mean hey, I'm a year older then ya and I still love Pokemon, well theres nothin wrong with that eh?

Also, DONT LISTEN TO WHAT THE HATERS SAY, DO WHAT YOU WANT, DON'T LET OTHER'S OPINIONS CHANGE WHAT YOU DO OR STOP DOING THINGS THAT YOU LIKE!

Raykon
May 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Pokemon is aimed at Children so I guess so, BUT that does not mean you can not like it, if you like something and it is fun for you then thats just to bad for them, you can like anything no matter how old.

ReyRey-Pyon
May 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM
wutwut

Pokemon is verrryyy kiddy 8O

if it wasn't childish and kiddy i wouldn't be into it /is a total kid xD
I love the cartoon{not as much tho, themesong makes me rage}, and the games, and collecting TCG 8O

I say its for kids, do i look like i care? Honestly, I think other peoples opinions are pure bull,
My opinion doesn't matter, nor should any haters to you,
Do you truely believe Pokemon is for kids therefore you should stop enjoying it? thats your choice. But enjoy giving into your peers, and giving up on what you like because a bunch of dumb kids told you their opinion.

You can go ahead and miss out on all the fun if you like. Or you can just go on and ignore them, and enjoy yourself. No one should stop enjoying what they enjoy because of someones opinion

I think Pokemon is childish. I enjoy childish things. That hasn't stopped me from being an obsessive freak like i am x3

Vernikova
May 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Why are people saying that the games aren't childish because of EVs, IV, etc? You don't need any of those things to play the game. Most people don't even know they exist since they're so insignificant.

Anyway, Satoshi Tajiri made the game so children could enjoy what he thought they would like as a kid. Some people here are in denile obviously.

Alli
May 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The tricky parts of the game can only be figured out by older players. It involves too much math for little kids. I'm not downing younger players, though. My brother is only eight and he's really good with evolutions and type advantages/disadvantages. I've told him about EV training, which confused him a little until I explained the main point of it. The show is more childish, in my opinion, but if you are older and you're watching it, you can get more out of it like shipping. Younger ones don't look for that too much, either that they only see the obvious heterosexual pairings.

Edit: Battle Frontier isn't exactly the easiest thing for younger players, in my opinion. It's fun, yes, but if you're actually really set on winning, older players can think of a better strategy or can go EV train and defeat it quicker and more easily than a younger player. The games are enjoyable for all ages, yes, but some things are just easier to grasp depending on your age. My brother tries to fly through the game and I'm more intent on raising good Pokemon to trade to my storage Emerald/Diamond.

sirboulevard
May 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The tricky parts of the game can only be figured out by older players. It involves too much math for little kids. I'm not downing younger players, though. My brother is only eight and he's really good with evolutions and type advantages/disadvantages. I've told him about EV training, which confused him a little until I explained the main point of it. The show is more childish, in my opinion, but if you are older and you're watching it, you can get more out of it like shipping. Younger ones don't look for that too much, either that they only see the obvious heterosexual pairings.

Edit: Battle Frontier isn't exactly the easiest thing for younger players, in my opinion. It's fun, yes, but if you're actually really set on winning, older players can think of a better strategy or can go EV train and defeat it quicker and more easily than a younger player. The games are enjoyable for all ages, yes, but some things are just easier to grasp depending on your age. My brother tries to fly through the game and I'm more intent on raising good Pokemon to trade to my storage Emerald/Diamond.

Splatty makes a good point here. When I was younger the type knowledge was something simple I could grasp. It took me years to understand how to do EV training. Battle Frontier is still hard for me and I consider myself a pretty good player. There are elements for youths and older players alike.

BHwolfgang
May 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Nah, don't say that. It aims for younger generation of children, but older adolescenses still watch and play it.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
May 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Pokemon, childish?
The game is too complex to be chidish.

The anime could be considered childish except for them occasionally showing a Pokemon dying. Children don't really uderstand the death concept that easily.

If you ask me if Pokemon is childish I have this too say,

Spongebob looks childish too is it not and yet adults still watch and it ha gathered many ans over the years.

One more thing is that the creators o Pokemon have managed to do what most entertaines fail to do properly.
They created their own universe!

The show has many fans even for the movies.
The game itself is flexible and can be modded. If it was childish who would bother.

Pokemon also serves as a basis for many spin offs suh as this great community site here.

Bottomline
Pokemon is childish (didin't see that coming did you) but only for peole who wish to believe it's childish. Years ago when it came out it was all the rage. But when people get bored they make up excuses stating why they don't do it anymore.

So what if it's childish, If you're a kid at heart you'll live longer.

Sidenote: Yeah, i don't reveal that I like Poemon to friends they'll probably laugh at you too unless you're in a real live fan club but then people just call you nerds. Don't go spreading tht you love it unlss you're prepared for backlash and mockery.

Just you wait, one day when our children look in our attics and see these games they'll ask what's this, you'll smile and tell them, then they'll play it.

Unless Pokemon comes out with something new and original I doubt It'll ever be as popular as last time.

~Frozen Darkness~
May 29th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've seen a lot of these threads before, TBH.

Yes, I keep my liking of Pokemon a secret.
But if I yelled out lout that I liked it, I would be shunned.

So, my friends decided that when I told them I was making a game, they somehow ended up with the conclusion that it was a Pokemon game. What I told them about was Super Smash Bros. Armageddon, not a Pokemon game.

Basically, my friend and I who share a common hatred for this "possy", who were the people who came up with the conclusion above, are going to get into a fist fight (:D) with them on the last day of school in the parking lot.

It's going to be a fun day that day.

The Bottom Line is: Think what you like, your friends don't control your life, you do.

kelsoriley
May 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
True, the show is a bit childish and it does involve children traveling around the world with pokemon (Ash,dawn,brock,etc) ,but that is just how they real you in! havn`t you noticed that japan`s cartoon characters almost always cute and have big eyes? The video games seem like they are ranged for a teen audiance though....

Cold Fusion
May 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Nahh, it isn't childish. It's actually quite complicated...
The anime is, but that is aimed at the younger audience so it would be, but an older audience still watches it.
Anyone who says it is childish are wrong. ;D

RYOUKI
May 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
The Pokemon Anime is actually for kids, so it's stereotyped as childish. The games however are not. I think I read somewhere that the Pokemon games were targeted for kids 13+. I don't know that it's true, but I certainly think so. A lot of my classmates actually play Pokemon.

Sweet Jasmine
May 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Pokemon are not childish... Everyone likes them even my parents and my bigger sister and little bro likes them especially me :3

Snerd
May 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Pokémon is NOT childish. End of.

HaXX
May 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Lol, I try to pretend it's dumb when I'm around friends. I'm 14 and I still love the whole concept (except the anime >.<). I got Red a few years after it came out, and I was hooked. The only thing childish about Pokémon is the anime. I love the manga, Pokémon Special, though. =3

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I love Pokemon and yes I'm 17 and proud of it, been watching it since day one. A lot of people know that I love Pokemon, and I still wear my Pokemon keychains with me and sometimes I bring random Pokemon dolls. Age ain't nothing but a number

:t354:TG

AuraAshley
May 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
the show is childish. thats a fact. but the games i dont think are. i know when i was in HS i knew a lot of people who played pokemon.

p0k3M0nMast4r
May 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't go around saying that I play pokemon in my school.

AuraAshley
May 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM

really, why wouldnt you tell people you play pokemon?

Ayselipera
May 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
The show may be childish, but the games aren't
Plus you really can't judge it till you play.

AtomicoExploda
May 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hmm, I guess it's a little bit childish, but that would be more aimed at the anime, in my opinion anyway.
But the games, no, just no. Even though the game and well the anime has a 3+ age group, that means it's suitable for that age and up. I know that was very obvious, but just stating that. The game sometimes can be pretty hard to get through, and you also needs brains to finish them, obviously. So, I wouldn't really see a 3 year old beating the game, and being able to sit there all day playing, and be concentrating. Well, I couldn't see that happening. Pokemon is really for all age groups, it's an RPG which is very fun, well for me anyway, RPG is the best type of game in my opinion. RPG games can be fun, interesting, helpful, and hard. These types of games can drag anyone to them I think.
Like one time I let my older brother play one of my pokemon games, this was a while ago though. He really didn't like them though, but he tried it out, and he liked it, and cleared it, because he's pretty awesome at gaming. xD He's really older than me, and he liked it. Not a 5 year old at all.

People who say it's for 5 year olds and stuff like that, never even played the games. They just think the pokemon look babyish. There's people like that in my school, and there's a good few people that play pokemon games too. They are pretty intelligent like myself, so that would state that Pokemon is educational. In a reading way and it would also improve your punctuation and your spellings, it's very good.

As for the anime, it's interesting, I don't see how it's just restricted to 5 year olds and such, it's for anybody. If you like it, you can watch the anime, or even play the game. I prefer the games though, but the anime is alright, there's nothing wrong with it at all.
Just like, well i'll take Grand Theft Auto for an example. It's not restriced to 18 year olds, although it's more suitable for them, people over and under that age play them, and the same goes with any other game, just pick one, and it'll be the same.

I don't slag others on what they are interested in, I would just say they are fools and not intelligent at all. Seriously though, don't take any notice of those people slagging you about liking pokemon.

Lots of people like it anyway, just look at this community, there's like over 100,000 members on here, so that is another way of looking at it.
Well, thats all I have to say about this. ^^

RaikaCastillo
May 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Your friends are retards. Try explaining to them about EV training and all the number crunching that goes into that. No five year old can do that. The anime, while it can be entertaining sometimes (or it was entertaining at time s before Dawn (grrrr....and I was just getting used to May) came along), is mainly for kids. However the game is for everyone. Sure kids can play it but...

Cold Fusion
May 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Honestly I wouldn't see why you wouldn't, maybe for people having a go about it. But that's easy enough to ignore, right?
They're are many people that do play Pokemon, as you can see by just this forum.

AuraAshley
May 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
pokemon games were popular when i went to HS. no one hated you for liking it

Bulbasaur!
May 31st, 2009, 04:06 AM
We loved Pokemon when we were kids, why shouldn't we love it now?

OokamiShipper
May 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
The anime slightly is, but it taught me a lot. xD
The manga and games? Not really. xD
I barely get teased or sneered at, because I'm...er...nevermind, it's not important. xD
Anyway, to hell about what they think, you like what ever you want.

Oh yeah, when there's cursing, hot spring scenes, violence, death threats, and the common phrase, "Sexy lady," it's not childish. Yeah, just have the lil' kiddies look at that all day.
People who know me very well, will know what I'm referring to, hahaha. >.>

BHwolfgang
May 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM
We loved Pokemon when we were kids, why shouldn't we love it now? Maybe it's because most likely the little toddler that used to like watching the show have outgrowned it, and now dispise the series? There are many reasons why children do not adore Pokémon anymore.

pokemon games were popular when i went to HS. no one hated you for liking it How old are you now, and what year was it when you were still in high school? Things has changed. Pokémon was not like what it used to be backed in it was first started.

RaikaCastillo
May 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Why are people saying that the games aren't childish because of EVs, IV, etc? You don't need any of those things to play the game. Most people don't even know they exist since they're so insignificant.

Anyway, Satoshi Tajiri made the game so children could enjoy what he thought they would like as a kid. Some people here are in denile obviously.

1. Yet they do exist and they're another way to play the game. They make competitive battling more interesting. And given the emphasis placed on them on the internet, it's doubtful that most people are unaware of their existence.
2. In denial about what exactly? Yes that is why he made the games so they could enjoy collecting creatures like he did as a kid due to urbanization. However what's your point?

Kzuma
May 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
pokemon is great im 12 and i haven't grown out of it its great im even making my own

xxshiny_umbreonXX
May 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
Pokemon should be for everyone at any age. Pokemon shouldn't be discriminated by stuff neither should the trainer.

PalkiaSpace
May 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM
well, i've liked it since i was was 3. then add 9. i'll get embarresed around other people at school for example. sometimes i'll talk and i'll say something about pokemon to my friends and i'll be like ohhhh crapppp!!!! But i normally keep it a extremely tight secret. kind of like a alter ego compared to how i am around my friends.

accually, when you buy cards it says "Pokemon TCG ages 10+ to play"
i know 40 year olds that love it.
and besides, it teaches things like caring, friendship, bravery, ect.

Zorua
May 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM
-sigh-

Whether I play pokemon or not, I shouldn't really care what people think of me when I do If they don't like Pokemon, then that's them, and I can't really change their mindset about how they feel about the series. I'll mind my own business and they'll mind theirs.

...Even though I never said I would feel just a tad bit uneasy, though(I know, I contradicted myself a bit, but still). ;__;

But in other words, no, pokemon is not childish at all. Anime, mayyyyyybe. Juust a tad bit. But not really at the same time. D:

Tanya
May 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM
I love pokemon since i was a little girl, and i will always love it, no matter what others will think about it.

Enjoy from the things you love, this things really doesnt have any age... 5, 10, 20, its doesnt matter, as long as you love it.

And dont let anybody to ruin it.

Azonic
June 1st, 2009, 03:27 AM
The Anime is most undoubtedly childish. Just take a look at some of the characteristics that the Anime has. The characters all act in a polite, goody-goody manner, and they try to stop a team of wimpy bad guys. Also, most of the episodes will teach you a lesson, which is a common characteristic in childish shows and stories.

The games are said to be childish because of the Anime's characteristics and Pokemon's overall childish appearance (cute cuddly electrical yellow mouse awww). It is childish, except for some better, more mature features that were added to the games (EV / IV / Natures, etc). The games have a childish side to it, and a mature side to it. That's all I have to say.
This is a subject that comes up often, and should really be understood a bit better.

Pokemon is labeled as "childish" because it involves children traveling around and little creatures as their companions. Well, that certainly could be called childish. But there are 40 year olds out there who love Pokemon and are not "nerds" or "childish" at all. As you said in the first post, Pokemon can actually teach people a lot, no matter what their age. It can teach friendship, loyalty, and responsibility. People who label it as "childish" are the real losers because they cannot understand the full potential of "some anime series".Please, open your eyes. Just because a small quantity of the older ages enjoy this series does NOT excuse the childish characteristics of a certain franchise. If I was 60 and I watched Bob the Builder, does it make Bob the Builder an adult show? If I was 5 and watched... um... well some rated NC17 crap, does it make it a children's show? No. And psh... lessons in an episode? Wouldn't you say that is a childish characteristic of a show? Okay, the Little Engine that Could teaches us a lesson! That makes it an adult book, right? ...
-sigh-

Whether I play pokemon or not, I shouldn't really care what people think of me when I do If they don't like Pokemon, then that's them, and I can't really change their mindset about how they feel about the series. I'll mind my own business and they'll mind theirs.

...Even though I never said I would feel just a tad bit uneasy, though(I know, I contradicted myself a bit, but still). ;__;

But in other words, no, pokemon is not childish at all. Anime, mayyyyyybe. Juust a tad bit. But not really at the same time. D:...oh derk.

●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●
June 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
ofc not i mean pokemon rulez!!!!!

RaikaCastillo
June 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM
The Anime is most undoubtedly childish. Just take a look at some of the characteristics that the Anime has. The characters all act in a polite, goody-goody manner, and they try to stop a team of wimpy bad guys. Also, most of the episodes will teach you a lesson, which is a common characteristic in childish shows and stories.

The games are said to be childish because of the Anime's characteristics and Pokemon's overall childish appearance (cute cuddly electrical yellow mouse awww). It is childish, except for some better, more mature features that were added to the games (EV / IV / Natures, etc). The games have a childish side to it, and a mature side to it. That's all I have to say.
Please, open your eyes. Just because a small quantity of the older ages enjoy this series does NOT excuse the childish characteristics of a certain franchise. If I was 60 and I watched Bob the Builder, does it make Bob the Builder an adult show? If I was 5 and watched... um... well some rated NC17 crap, does it make it a children's show? No. And psh... lessons in an episode? Wouldn't you say that is a childish characteristic of a show? Okay, the Little Engine that Could teaches us a lesson! That makes it an adult book, right? ...
...oh derk.

Are you trying to say that the logic you are quoting is flawed or are you actually implying that Pokemon is as childish as Bob the Builder and The Little Engine that Could or would be just that except for the natures/EV/IV elements?

EDIT: Even the Anime isn't as Childish as Bob the Builder, which is geared towards ages 2-5. It's more childish than used to be but it's still not that childish.

Artonkn
June 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
agrre with what you said :D santaria

Satoshi Ookami
June 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think at all :) Pokemon is anime and if you're fan of anime you're startin' with Pokemon :)

Kazukii
June 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well they're obviously judging from the anime which is childish as others have said. If you play the game to it's full advantages then it's certainly not childish. It's just a stupid stereotype that sticks with Pokemon.

FalconJoker
June 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hell no Pokemon isn't childish. It's addicting, challenging and just as fun as any game. Some people just need to learn to open there minds, but a lot don't care to try it. I mean hell, look at me. I'm twenty five, in the military and I play it openly. Who cares if they know. I love Pokemon. Always have, always will.

Fredu999
June 3rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
It depends on how you think. It is actually "meant" for children (at least the anime) but when i was young, I didn't understand what was happening at all (not from USA :P).

Cherrim
June 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Pokemon is a franchise aimed primarily at kids. Yeah, it's childish.

However the difference between Pokemon and a cartoon/franchise that degrades children's intelligence like Dora the Explorer is that, you know, it doesn't treat you like an idiot. Once you get into the franchise there are a million ways to branch out and enjoy it. The fact that it has such an aging following shows the lasting appeal. Most of us got into it when we were kids and have stuck by it. Maybe it's because of its childishness and the nostalgia attached but the games are also good enough that even though we all wish there could be one with more mature themes, we still play them and have fun.

Can't say as much for the anime, though. I think it's gotten worse.

Spinosaurus
June 3rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Well,for me,Pokemon is childish though it can be liked by older people.

Im the only one in school who likes Pokemon,therefore,people is teasing me but I would care less about that cause mostly students there are extremly dumb and harsh,which alot of people opinions getting bashed by the students there.They probebly never played its game or stuff,they just like fun of others.

Other then school.The anime looks childish now actully,I dont know why,but the older episode seems more mature.

EV/IV traning is not needed as you can beat the game with out it.So obviously,yes,it is childish,but you shold careless for that.

The Hero Without a Name
June 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
All of my friends in school tease me because I'm a pokemon fanatic. They say it's for 5 year old's and that it has no value. I completely disagree. I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have? I just want to hear you thoughts! ^_^
Either
1) Your friends are just playing around and you shouldn't take it seriously
2) Your friends are still REALLY immature, but they'll grow out of it in due time.

蜃気楼
June 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Nintendo targeted Pokemon to children, but even high school students liked it.
The EV/IV mechanics and competitive battling strategy makes the game more mature, it even involve some math including number theory.
I don't tell people I like Pokemon unless someone said he/she liked Pokemon.

Ayano Hana
June 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
What makes people believe Pokemon childish is the anime, which pretty much is childish, but the games are another story, so I don't think Pokemon is childish.

TERRA#493
June 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
An topic which makes me sick. Pokemon has only the "childish" image because of the anime - and the anime episodes were childish. But what makes me angry: Competitive wifi-battling in Pokemon is a challenge, based on strategy and skills. And when you play at an competitive level.. is that childish? Must the characters (Pokemon) have axes, guns and other weapons in their hand? I dont think so..

Cherrim
June 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
An topic which makes me sick. Pokemon has only the "childish" image because of the anime - and the anime episodes were childish. But what makes me angry: Competitive wifi-battling in Pokemon is a challenge, based on strategy and skills. And when you play at an competitive level.. is that childish? Must the characters (Pokemon) have axes, guns and other weapons in their hand? I dont think so..
Not every aspect of the game is necessarily childish but... you're still playing a game aimed primarily at children. o_O It's not a bad thing. It's definitely not childish just because of the anime.

TERRA#493
June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Not every aspect of the game is necessarily childish but... you're still playing a game aimed primarily at children. o_O It's not a bad thing. It's definitely not childish just because of the anime.

Say me reasons why its aimed primarily to children. And when you say "Its definitely not childish just because of the anime"... what aspects IN THE EDITIONS do you think, are childish?

Fox♠
June 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Of course Pokemon is childish, I think deep down that is the reason most of us like/love it, nostalgia, it;s something we grew up with. ;]

Cherrim
June 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Say me reasons why its aimed primarily to children. And when you say "Its definitely not childish just because of the anime"... what aspects IN THE EDITIONS do you think, are childish?
1. Cute little creatures
2. Nothing dies. (They never go into detail about the graveyards, do they?)
3. Messages of love and friendship and treating your Pokemon like friends
4. All the games are rated E.
5. The protagonist is eternally 10 years old.
6. The most "mature" theme in any of the games is like... Slowpoke having their tails cut off.
7. etc, etc, etc.

Why don't you tell me some reasons Pokemon is deep and mature and made for adults? If all you can do is rattle of reasons related to competitive battling, don't. Game mechanics that are rarely touched upon in-game or in official guides and that interest only a small percentage of the population interested in the franchise don't count.

Master of the Shadow
June 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Nothing is too old for someone as long as they love it or it means something to them. I've been playing pokemon and watching the anime since i was like young when it started. Now I play the video game but not watch the anime because I don't have Cartoon Network. -_-

RicanPKMN87
June 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
i play pkmn games and thats all that matter

Katachu
June 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Think of it this way: a group of adults had to come up with the game, put the game together, and make sure that it is interesting and has replay value. When it first came out, pokemon was the first really customizable game, and still is to this day. Now we have more choices, and no right way to beat the game.. and there is no real end to the game either. There's a ton of stuff to do after you beat the elite four, and there's even more to do if you want to get into competitive battling.

It may be aimed at children, but kids certainly couldn't make this game...and I'm sure that the adults involved want to play their game as much as anybody else, so I'm sure they made something that they could enjoy too.

Also.. I know that Pokemon the anime is bad overall... and getting worse (from what I hear.. I lost interest in the subject for a couple of years about the time when they first got into the Hoenn region and never really bothered to watch the anime after that), but that shouldn't set a standard for all animation. There's a ton of animated series that are not geared for kids.. (Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example. Must See. Classic. Not for kids)

I'm not saying it's childish or not. I don't believe it is..and if it is, maybe I don't want to grow up. Adults are boring anyway.

(I'm 20, by the way)

Tyrantrum
June 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
In my honest opinion; it is for people of all ages! ;D

I've been teased because of what I like. But, ever since high school, I have not been teased for liking Pokémon, because there are a lot more Pokémon lovers in high school apparently. :3

So, again, I believe anyone at any age could like it.

Pokedra
June 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It depends, the anime gives the franchise a bad reputation in my opinion.

The games are aimed at children but most aspects of it aren't childish.

Competitive battling doesn't strike me as childish at all as most battlers are usually teenagers.

JesseRocket
June 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I honestly think you can't put an age on the series. Anyone can enjoy it, regardless of whether they're 6, 16 or even 60. Age is just a number and who cares if an adult still likes to play the games or watch the anime? I think there are a lot of hidden depths with Pokemon games that many people don't realize. In my experience I've found many people say it because they're insecure in some way or another. Either way, you shouldn't let what other people say affect you. Pokemon will always be remembered because it was different from anything seen before. I will still be playing it when I'm 60, for sure!

TkBento PT
June 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM
i think to some opinion some members have talked here before pokemon is for all ages :) i have some friends i liked pokemon before when are more youngers but now were like more some animes from ninjas some type of naru** of something yes the anime is for children but if i can i like watch pokemon i do :D

the game i no think is for children but maybe some children learn how to play pokemon and others like more watch the anime ;)

Superjub
June 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
If you disagree, thenm you've got your answer there. :\ Anyway, i agree it isn't childish. People just assume it's childish because of the anime or the 'monsters.' Not all of them are yellow mouses, with red cheeks, you know...:\ When my mum said it was childish, i just said how is Pokemon childish and, lets say, Mario not, and she said 'Because Mario has been around longer.' >_>

Azonic
June 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Are you trying to say that the logic you are quoting is flawed or are you actually implying that Pokemon is as childish as Bob the Builder and The Little Engine that Could or would be just that except for the natures/EV/IV elements?

EDIT: Even the Anime isn't as Childish as Bob the Builder, which is geared towards ages 2-5. It's more childish than used to be but it's still not that childish.
It would be better if you read my post. Bob the Builder and The Little Engine That Could were just examples to prove my point against Santaria's post. No where did I say that Pokemon is the equivalent of Bob the Builder.

Katachu
June 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I really don't get American society... I mean..It's not okay for an adult to like kids stuff like Pokemon, but it's totally okay for an 8 year old (or younger in some cases) to like adult stuff like GTA... That's messed up.

ChunnyyxD
June 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It is a bit childish :/ but hey who cares, I even know a 18 year old that plays.

XxDawnfanxX
June 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
In my mind pokemon gives a whole different side of me a chance to break out. I feel shlled trying to hide it from so many people but when I post here I feel happy and am glad to be talking to so many others about something I still love. I think of it as I elected to not be afraid of getting really into something I am interested in just because others think its childish. I still watch the anime when I can, and play the games all the time.

hank jones
June 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
1.Yes. Sorry, but it is. I honestly don't see the big deal... who cares if its childish or not.

2. Everyone in my school thinks its nerdy, so i never tell anyone that i like it. (If i did evryone would make fun of me). I'm in the jock group so it would be embarrassing to be seen w/ pokemon cards...

Kotowari
June 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
To be honest, I've grown out of the Anime (can you say that?) Compared to many other Anime series that I watch(ed), it's just too repetitive. Most of the episodes have the same groundplan: Ash and co meet a Pokemon, Team rocket steals it, Ash and co get it back, Pikachu sends them away with a thunderbolt. At least that's how it was when I quit halfway the Hoenn series. I liked those special (as I call it) episodes that did not follow that plan. Ash' battles for the badges were kinda cool now and then, also, episodes starring legendary pokemon. *_*
I've seen some of the specials (Ritchie and Moltress and Raikou: Legend of Thunder) and at least those differed a bit from the usual plan. Raikou got tortured. :o And I don't believe Kenta/Gold/Jimmy to be 10. XD
Also over here they keep airing the same episodes over and over again -> another reason why I quit.

The Movies on the otherhand are still on my 'to watch list'. Darkrai's movie was pretty epic tbh. And for those that have a little knowledge about the world, it's fun to figure out the cities that stood as an example for the city in the movie (like Barcelona, or Venice). I believe the movies generally have more "mature" content than the series.
In the 4th movie, Celebi died, whithered away (but was of course saved), in the 5th one Latios died (and did not return). For the first movie: there's a whole debate about cloning.

In my opinion, the anime is childish, the movies less.

The games are definitally not, but are suited for everyone who can hold a console and can read (or understands basic english for that matter). I remember that a lot of years ago, I saw a young boy playing Pokémon Yellow. He was aiminglessly walking on the road just before Vermilion City. Barely no one at that age can fully grasp what is said in the game (English is not my mothertongue).
But I have to say that thanks to the Pokemon (games), I got a head start in English. :3 I was constantly asking my mother what this or that meant, and eventually found my way through silver. I also kept asking her where the names came from, obvious once like Pidgey, or Paras. Ekans, Arbok, just those things. But it helped me. :3 I was always one of the more knowledgeable ones in English class. XD
(I'm tired so please forgive me my typing mistakes)

I don't understand a thing about IV, EV and whatever... I just play the game as I like it. For the storyline, to catch pokemon and train them. To be able to say that I beated the Pokemon league with the Pokemon I trained so hard. It is a joy to see the ending credits roll after your first league battle. =)
Also, back in the days when everyone walked around with their Gameboy (Color, Advance), you could have random people asking you if you had your Link Cable with you. (happened to me once, but I didn't) So it was a great way to meet new people. I'm still certain that it is still the same. After all, don't people here ask eachother to battle or trade? It's a wonderful thing. =)

And another thing. Pokemon (not only Pokemon, but still) manages to unite everyone (even if it is in forums like this). People of all age, race, religion come here to talk about what they like. All differences fade away when they can talk about that one thing that they have in common. Then comes the discovery that that person on the other side of the computerscreen actually isn't that different.

So, to conclude things. Perhaps Pokémon is childish at first sight. Taking Pikachu as their mascot isn't helping things. Get Charizard of Tyranitar on the cover. XD
But if you manage to look more thoroughly, you'll see that it's more than that. You just have to do that, but for some even that takes too much effort.

jonnO'brien
June 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Of Course.
Thats why People as old as 40 still love it :pppp

Mr. Epic
June 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Pokémon was secretly made to brainwash children into hate and sexual violence.

1. Cute little creatures
2. Nothing dies too painfully. (They never go into detail about the graveyards, do they? Just the murder!)
3. Messages of hate and rape and treating your Pokemon like friends
4. All the games are rated XXX.
5. The protagonist is eternally 10 years old.
6. The most "mature" theme in any of the games is like... Slowpoke having their penises cut off.
7. etc, etc, etc.

CHAR1ZARD
June 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I love Pokemon's childish qualities. A lot of the monsters are very cute. Even the "scarier" monsters are adorable.

Jaden-kunxx
June 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
To some people it is like my friend Chris

ShinjisLover
June 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
In a way, yes, it is childish. The plot is fairly childish and aimed at young boys. Due to this, it is automatically labeled as a children's cartoon. However, in Diamond and Pearl, I have to disagree. With the way Shinji acts and how J tries to kill Ash whenever she sees him, it's becoming aimed more toward pubescent children, probably around the age of 13-ish. So, no, it's not completely childish, which I hope doesn't contradict my first statement after I explained my reasonings.

Tanya
June 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Of course Pokemon is childish, I think deep down that is the reason most of us like/love it, nostalgia, it;s something we grew up with. ;]

Couldnt say it better.

Totally agree with you ! :)

Shem
June 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Pokemon anime defeinately does not help the childish reputation. But there are actually alot of people who will trash pokemon one minute but as soon as you say you play pokemon they'll admit they do too. They just try and look cool =P

I'm on to them >.>

SPEEDIE
June 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I dont reckon Pokemon is childish all though a few of my friends bag me cous i like it

Pokedude45
June 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Hey Im thirteen my freinds are thirteen and twelve they dont think its childish my sisters ex boyfreind was played pokemon and he's sixteen

People think its childish because they dont understand the complexity of the art of pokemon and pokemon training

and a lot of people on here are older than me so....

The game and the anime believe it or not are set for all ages not just children

when I was like 5 I heard my freinds mom saying my freind isnt allowd to watch pokemon To Violent XD

Conclusion It is set for all ages and is not nesesarilly childish nor is it for adults. Another thing I like about pokemon Everyone from big to small Can Become a Master!

Alec_
June 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Pokemons are not childish. Even my parents would play them ^^

~Fairytales.

gblbf
June 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
i think the anime is pretty childish but the games are for all ages.

Azonic
June 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
In a way, yes, it is childish. The plot is fairly childish and aimed at young boys. Due to this, it is automatically labeled as a children's cartoon. However, in Diamond and Pearl, I have to disagree. With the way Shinji acts and how J tries to kill Ash whenever she sees him, it's becoming aimed more toward pubescent children, probably around the age of 13-ish. So, no, it's not completely childish, which I hope doesn't contradict my first statement after I explained my reasonings.
Shinji's attitude is supposed to be the opposite of Ash's goody-two-shoes style. He's basically the foil character. A person with a bad attitude doesn't make a TV show for an older audience, does it? J "seems" to want to kill Ash; not whenever she sees him. It's more of a violent attitude towards other humans, which isn't always a good influence on younger audiences. Yes, that is more adult in nature, but she's a more minor character in the show and her alone is not going to change the show as a whole.

Regardless, Ash still is the same goody-goody little please and thank you kid we used to know. That's always gonna be there, and there's not many adult things about that.

Hey Im thirteen my freinds are thirteen and twelve they dont think its childish my sisters ex boyfreind was played pokemon and he's sixteen

People think its childish because they dont understand the complexity of the art of pokemon and pokemon training

and a lot of people on here are older than me so....

The game and the anime believe it or not are set for all ages not just children

when I was like 5 I heard my freinds mom saying my freind isnt allowd to watch pokemon To Violent XD

Conclusion It is set for all ages and is not nesesarilly childish nor is it for adults. Another thing I like about pokemon Everyone from big to small Can Become a Master!"The art of Pokemon and Pokemon training" <- @_@ I don't see anything artistic about raising and strengthening piles of pixels. Pokemon training is more complex in the games with EVs / IVs / Natures, but, as I said, there are still a good amount of childish features stuck in there.

As I said before, just because some quantity of teenagers / adults like a show does not make it an adult show. There will always be a teenager out there who still likes bob the builder, etc. It doesn't make it any less of a children's show than it already is. The fact is that the majority of the fan base is young children, not 50 yr virgins.

Psst... notice how the age "5" is being used.

Mr. Tabachi
June 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
pokemon is not chilish!!! I am 7 big and i pla it lots =)
dnt be bullieeeed ino not playin it for fuuuuuuuun =)
=)
=)

bullies are dum

Pekin
June 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Well, like so many before me have said, it's aimed at children, so I'm gonna have to say yes. It is "childish", like it or not.
But that doesn't make it stupid or anything. I'm a 15 year old guy, and I still think Pokémon rules. (Although my friends would make fun of me for the rest of my life if they knew, haha)

Vernikova
June 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
1. Yet they do exist and they're another way to play the game. They make competitive battling more interesting. And given the emphasis placed on them on the internet, it's doubtful that most people are unaware of their existence.
2. In denial about what exactly? Yes that is why he made the games so they could enjoy collecting creatures like he did as a kid due to urbanization. However what's your point?

1) They were originally there to calculate the battle damage within the game. It's just that older fans learned how to manipulate this concept to battle with others outside of the game. When most of the people here were young, I'm sure that they played the games unaware of this fact.

Regarding your statement that because of the Internet many people should now what EVs and IVs are, I'm sure that young children aren't searching information about such things.

2) In denial that Pokémon is a franchise for kids.

.Fenris
June 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
The people howling about it being gay and childish would scream (Had they added anything 'mature') "ur a tard cuas Pokeman iz awsume cuz last's weeks episoad had Asch & Mikty making out four ahole episoad!!!!!1111one!!!11!!" and I'll bet every last penny I have on that.

~Magnus~
June 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Nope but i wish everyone would stop thinking Magic and Pokemon are Yugioh or want others to think they think that because most know what it is (it even says it clearly on the thing <.<)

_monster
June 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I personally think that the Pokemon games aren't childish, they are very good 15 hour RPG's, the shows can be juvenile at times, but I mean who cares if someone else doesn't like what you like. Just do what ever floats your boat!

Fire Eagle
June 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I would recommend that Pokemon isn't childish because I'm 17 years old and I'm still an addict to the Pokemon games.

airindia787
June 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Pokemon was created because Satoshi Tajiri enjoyed collecting bugs as a kid. However, as his neighborhood became more urbanized, options for bug catching are less. He wanted other children to enjoy what he enjoyed as a child. So yes, it is aimed at children and is marketed as such. However, this does not prevent older people from enjoying it.

Now, a statistic I have read increasingly is that the average age of the Pokemon fan has shifted above 12. If that is the case then I think Pokemon should try to market it a bit more towards an older audience. Might also lead to people being a lot less secretive about it.

Vernikova
June 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The people howling about it being gay and childish would scream (Had they added anything 'mature') "ur a tard cuas Pokeman iz awsume cuz last's weeks episoad had Asch & Mikty making out four ahole episoad!!!!!1111one!!!11!!" and I'll bet every last penny I have on that.

You would've lost every single one of your pennies then since I'm not interested in cartoon characters making out. Of course, if they had added mature themes in Pokémon, then it would be mature since it had mature themes.

wolf
June 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Pokemon is mainly aimed for children, seeing as most of the merchandise kind of makes it obvious. The game features (EVs, IVs, Nature, etc) is just like any other RPG game, just people developed a way to battle competitively, and the people doesn't change what the game is meant to be for, children. Every RPG will have some way to calculate damage, etc.

Jedi_green5
June 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
You aren't grown up untill you think pokemon isn't childish, thats what i say >.<

RaikaCastillo
June 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Shinji's attitude is supposed to be the opposite of Ash's goody-two-shoes style. He's basically the foil character. A person with a bad attitude doesn't make a TV show for an older audience, does it? J "seems" to want to kill Ash; not whenever she sees him. It's more of a violent attitude towards other humans, which isn't always a good influence on younger audiences. Yes, that is more adult in nature, but she's a more minor character in the show and her alone is not going to change the show as a whole.

Regardless, Ash still is the same goody-goody little please and thank you kid we used to know. That's always gonna be there, and there's not many adult things about that.

"The art of Pokemon and Pokemon training" <- @_@ I don't see anything artistic about raising and strengthening piles of pixels. Pokemon training is more complex in the games with EVs / IVs / Natures, but, as I said, there are still a good amount of childish features stuck in there.

As I said before, just because some quantity of teenagers / adults like a show does not make it an adult show. There will always be a teenager out there who still likes bob the builder, etc. It doesn't make it any less of a children's show than it already is. The fact is that the majority of the fan base is young children, not 50 yr virgins.

Psst... notice how the age "5" is being used.
1) They were originally there to calculate the battle damage within the game. It's just that older fans learned how to manipulate this concept to battle with others outside of the game. When most of the people here were young, I'm sure that they played the games unaware of this fact.

Regarding your statement that because of the Internet many people should now what EVs and IVs are, I'm sure that young children aren't searching information about such things.

2) In denial that Pokémon is a franchise for kids.

Okay. I will admit that Pokemon is primairly aimed at kids. However, I will not agree that it is childish. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/childish?r=75

Still, ALL video games except the M rated ones are aimed towards kids. You know why? Because those are the people who are most likely to play them as they're the ones who are most likely to have time.

Tofuko
June 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
In my opinion Pokemon is way too competitive to be considered childish.

Due to the anime however many adults would chide me on how I need to grow up and stop playing Pokemon.

Vernikova
June 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Okay. I will admit that Pokemon is primairly aimed at kids. However, I will not agree that it is childish. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/childish?r=75Using the link that you just supplied, it says an antonym of childish is mature. The fact that Pokémon isn't mature means that it is childish according to dictionary.reference.com, correct?

Still, ALL video games except the M rated ones are aimed towards kids. You know why? Because those are the people who are most likely to play them as they're the ones who are most likely to have time.What anout the games rated T for teen? Wouldn't those games be targeted at teens and young adults since those are the people most likely to buy them? The wrestling franchise is aimed at everyone but relies on their older fans to buy their games and merchandise.

-Raiken-
June 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I guess it is all how you examine it. I do not think Pokemon is childish and to prove that I do not, I bring Pokemon dolls to school sometimes without a worry.

RaikaCastillo
June 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Using the link that you just supplied, it says an antonym of childish is mature. The fact that Pokémon isn't mature means that it is childish according to dictionary.reference.com, correct?

What anout the games rated T for teen? Wouldn't those games be targeted at teens and young adults since those are the people most likely to buy them? The wrestling franchise is aimed at everyone but relies on their older fans to buy their games and merchandise.

1. But did you read the rest of it? Particularly the synonyms.
2. Yup those are aimed towards kids too. They're just aimed towards older kids.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that according to the connotations attached to the word, calling Pokemon "childish" implies that it's weird for anyone over a certain age to like it. Bob the Builder is childish. It's specifically geared towards very young children. Pokemon however, has a wider fanbase although it is geared towards kids it's geared towards a broader age range than Bob the Builder.

Vernikova
June 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
1. But did you read the rest of it? Particularly the synonyms.Yes I did. The fact of the matter remains that it isn't mature and as a result is childish. Blues Clues isn't described by any of those synonyms but is still refered to as childish. Why? Because it isn't mature and therefore is childish. Definition 1 explains that childish is suitable for children and Pokémon is described by that. Definition 2B also explains the simplicity of Pokémon. You can argue that EVs and IVs make it complicated but in most games, if not every game, there are complicated equations in them to calculate certain events in the games. The fact is that you have to find out what the equations are first.

2. Yup those are aimed towards kids too. They're just aimed towards older kids.
In other words teens.

EDIT: As for your extra reasoning: just because something is childish it doesn't mean that older audiances can't enjoy it. The best example of this would be Spongebob Squarepants.

Dragonbane
June 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
...yes, pokemon is childish.

Azonic
June 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Okay. I will admit that Pokemon is primairly aimed at kids. However, I will not agree that it is childish. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/childish?r=75... what? Do you like contradicting yourself? I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't stupid enough to aim an adult show at young kids. =/

It has a majority of childish characteristics with some more adult characteristics (mostly in games).

Kirbychu
June 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
As far as the games go, I say that it's a franchise aimed toward children, but with many aspects that can keep older players (Mainly those who started out with the series young.) having fun.

*Nayz*
June 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
well there's a pretty large amount of teens and older who play, so who cares?

(heck, I'm 21)

shouldn't let your friends deter you from playing.

Silvergale
June 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The anime is childish and it just seems to be getting more and more
childish as it progresses. Because of the childish level of the anime, I
believe that it leads people to believe that everything relating to pokemon
in general is childish.

ポッチャマ
June 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
It is childish, but you can't help what you like :)
When I was in Japan I met a lot of adults who love Pokémon!
( I also fit into that group )
Of course you may watch it until your 80 and still carry around your beloved Pikachu Plushie (lol)
I doubt most 5 year olds would get the point of Pokémon.
Infact i think Pokémon fits into the early teens not toddlers >.<
So what I am trying to say here, it is for all ages. But not everyone likes it.

deadlyangel91792
June 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
i think it is childish but not in a really kiddie way,i dont know how to explain it but its the kind of thing that can get away with being childish and still appeal to everyone.I dont really like the anime to say the truth but the games are superb if gamefreak and nintendo wanted to they can make a truely hardcore pokemon game that would get a T for teen rating that would be so awesome,but again it is a bit childish but in a good way....lol my friends tease me about it too

Zach.Is.Me.
June 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
i think it is childish but not in a really kiddie way,i dont know how to explain it but its the kind of thing that can get away with being childish and still appeal to everyone.

Yeah, true that. Kind of like Spongebob. Really childish, however I can still watch it and genuinely laugh pretty hard.

And the Fairly Oddparents.

Pokemon is definitely childish, but it's definitely got something to offer different generations. Because at its core, it is a very well made RPG.

Jirachu
July 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You know what sicken's me about this thread?

It's the fact that NO ONE who's posting here apper's to be a 'girly girl'/'prep'. At all. Yet you all are trying to prove Pokémon isn't childish?...hallerious.

However, I did not login to bash you. At all.

Just soo you know...i'm that same girl called 'PikaJ', from Bulbagarden's forums. I'm kinda becoming a 'girlier' girl now, and i've ALWAYS been really quite girly as a kid. I loved Barbie and ANYTHING bright/pretty...though I also kinda had a thing for video games, too.

But, now, at the age of 18, I really am starting to feel too 'old' for Pokémon, and, technecly speaking, I don't know why I care to stick up for the series and not be one to call it 'childish'. However, regardless of who I am...Pokémon is EXTREMELY special to me. Even though it's possable i'm NATURALLY letting go now, I won't allow myself to. I'll fight growing out of the series if it mean's putting my life in danger for it. With all the close friendships I made, due to Pokémon....I have REASONS to love this franchice, possably forever.

'Childish'? Who really GIVES one?! Pokémon is AWESOME, and, as I get 'girlier' day by day, i'm going to become more and more confident about my fandom. And, if anyone think I should be 'token care of' for it, i'm not going to care. I'll like what I want, stereo types are SCREWED!!!

POKEMON SHALL LIVE ON....FOREVER!!!!!!!! Oh, and, BY THE WAY, I can't WAIT till the g/s re-makes come out....I love Johto A LOT. And I always will...

I'm glad I finally got this all off my chest...

And, by the way, for those who know me as 'PikaJ' from Bulbagardens forums---I actually deleted my Pearl file afterall, and I regret the mistake everyday now. However, luckly, I have a BACK-UP team---It is my old Pearl team I saved to my brother's Diamond file. It is also LESS cute than the one that's deleted. But...

I'm still going to train it, and, i'm STILL going to like cute things, as well. And, if the chalange give's me a headake, i'll still go for it....because I want to battle my brother, just like old times.

I'm not a quiter. Prehaps my additude will show you all just how open minded people can be...NO ONE had to close their minds up due to things being 'childish' or due to commen 'stereo types'. Pffft.

Soo now that you've read my post, be happy EVERY SINGLE DAY...your love for Pokémon has NO REASON to end. At all. No matter WHO you are...you can love Pokémon.

Forever.^_~

~Posted by....PikaJ, AKA JIRACHU. REMEMBER ME NOW! ^~

EDIT---I just hope I didn't BUMP a DEAD topic for REAL....Ahh, who care's! I made an IMPORTENT statement, and i'm not going to hold back on what I said. At all, ever.

Anxiety.
July 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Of course it is.
It is aimed at children. Made for children.

Therefore, it is childish. It always will be childish. But, if you like something, you don't care if it is childish or not.

Jirachu
July 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Of course it is.
It is aimed at children. Made for children.

Therefore, it is childish. It always will be childish. But, if you like something, you don't care if it is childish or not.
*nod's* Yep, that's what matter's! As long as your having fun, you can like whatever you want for as long as you desire---no matter WHO you are or how old you are^^

I think people in genneral need to learn to cool down and have a little fun every now and then. :) Afterall, it can't hurt ya, right?^^ I would think being happier would be GOOD for people, nuff said :P ^_^

Plus, even for those who WOULD think Pokemon is 'childish', it offer's some other very mentally stimulating chalanges, espesally when your being pressured to have a life and work, and have difficulties living in the 'nerd' world anymore due to who you were as a kid, and, your current EXTREME obsession with 'cute' things (BY THE WAY, i'm kinda autistic...lol do i care?).

Look at the team i'm going to be training to battle my brother, for instence. BUT i'm STILL going to LOVE cute things! Prehaps i'll play with my eyes closed a lot, though....just to be safe. lol

In a way, I like the anime better than the games, as it's more easy-going. However, the games can be....fasanating. Ahhh I don't know anymore lol

:) ^_^

Gizamimi Pichu
July 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'd say pokemon is for all ages, and what matters most is that you enjoy it, whether it be playing the games, watching the anime, or reading the manga.

I'm not too much of a fan of the anime, apart from a few episodes and character appearances, but I enjoy most of the movies, play the games, and read the manga sometimes.

Miss Soupy
July 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
It's always nice to get in touch with your inner child sometimes, imo. It's always nice to sit back, relax, and play a game that doesn't require too much reading of dialog or shooting the guts out of countless people. Sometimes it's nice to immerse yourself in the delights you enjoyed as a child. :/

Allure XI
July 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM
You know what sicken's me about this thread?

It's the fact that NO ONE who's posting here apper's to be a 'girly girl'/'prep'. At all. Yet you all are trying to prove Pokémon isn't childish?...hallerious.

However, I did not login to bash you. At all.

Just soo you know...i'm that same girl called 'PikaJ', from Bulbagarden's forums. I'm kinda becoming a 'girlier' girl now, and i've ALWAYS been really quite girly as a kid. I loved Barbie and ANYTHING bright/pretty...though I also kinda had a thing for video games, too.

Wait, so "girly preppy girls" aren't childish?? Liking Pokemon means you're not a "girly girl?" Explain...

jasonresno
July 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The anime is childish, not the game, not really anyways and besides who cares? I'm into what I'm into and if people have a problem with that...too bad :P.

Late
July 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe it's childish but who cares? Not me. I told to my friends that I can hack them and two of my friends started to play Pokémon :D I did hack game to my other friend but he didn't play it long time because it was made in day, next this same friend played Yellow and completed it... So they are now playing Gold and Silver. Anime is childish (I still watch it), game isn't and manga NO!!!

derozio
July 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
It may be, but like everybody else said 'WHO THE HELL CARES IF IT IS?' .

>Feelings<
July 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
It's for all ages. The anime just sucks now, but you can't just run the whole series as being childish, even if it was originally aimed at them.

Always remember, if you like/love something, you don't need to care about what others think about it. It's always you in the end.
If people bothers you too much, you can just keep it to yourself and not tell anyone that. Don't give in to peer pressure!

Ecks-Dee
July 9th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I do not think the Pokemon games are childish, but the Pokemon show is, in my opinion :( Ash is such an idiot >.< (sorry to people who like the anime! ^^; )

Ash~The Purifying Prince~
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't really say that Pokemon is childish; sure its aimed and kids but anyone can enjoy it, and maybe to those who do enjoy it the most it is not childish at all. I for one love Pokemon even though I'm 16 years old xD. I used to get picked on all the time because I like it so much; but I just ignored them, yo ushould never let what they say or do get you down.

Tré
July 9th, 2009, 01:39 AM
for me..pokemon is not childish...you can learn many stuffs about it...just like making friends...^_^

Jahool
July 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I think as long as you enjoy playing it, it doesn't really matter

but I have to admit the games have gotten more and more childish as the years go on. Like in GSC your rival would push you and you would go back like 4 spaces, but now your rival's your best friend.

*Charizard*
July 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Who cares what other people think about you, as long as your having fun and you enjoy playing, watching, collecting Pokemon then you shouldn't really care what others think. And I find it very amusing that some people go out of their way to tease someone who watches a certain show. I mean come on...grow up.

.Tactic.
July 9th, 2009, 03:11 AM
the anime isnt that good but the games rule!!! anyone who teases you for that must be a loonatic, i am 12 and i get teased, who cares if they are loons! :)

Zero°
July 9th, 2009, 03:15 AM
It's an opinion. Some think it's childish, some don't heck, My mom thinks I'm too old for it! I say it really doesn't matter. I know alot of "cool kids" In high school that like Pokemon, and trust me, I mean ALOT

Neko
July 9th, 2009, 03:15 AM
The anime may be childish in some parts, but it is definitely not just for little kids. Especially when it comes to the games, and calculating ev points and trying to raise the best Pokemon through iv and ev training. It's actually quite difficult, not to mention many kids probably don't even know that those features exist within the games.

All in all, I think Pokemon is for everyone, not just kids.

xxxLatiasxxx
July 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I defiantly would say that the games are for all ages but the show is childish in my opinion.

Zero°
July 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Agree with everyone that thinks the show is childish, too much friendship, let's help eachother out! WE CAN DO IT! etc! yes, etc. is childish
Pokemon is a complicted RPG, not a childrens game The show needs more people like Shinji/Paul. It also needs more action, and some more battles like in the first episode

derozio
July 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Pokemon anime IS a bit childish but games are for everyone.

TheAliveTrain
July 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I don't really know..

On the first gen. Pokémon were like UBER STRONG creatures which battle each others and you have to win.
On the gen2, the cute Pokémon came, and filled the Pokémon intros and roles, it went more adapted to child, even to girls (first playable girl character added, Kris)
Although, on these 2 later Generations, Pokémon turned back to a skill game, which you need to understand A LOT and use your UBER Pokémon skilled to defeat others around the world. Anyway it keeps being focused on cute Pokémon, it may be why it looks childish.

You may like cute Pokémon, I'm not saying that they are for children, but they do give a look of that.

chanchimi
July 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Pokemon is for everyone! It's for all ages! That's why it's rated 'E', of course! But I don't believe that playing Pokemon makes a person childish.... Adults were the ones who created Pokemon, and I'm sure people don't go up to creators and make fun of them for being childish.

~MagmortaЯ~
July 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
No, i think its ffor all ages, I play the games and stil watch the anime

Wobbuffet
July 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
im 17 i still play =D
pkm games 4 ever. although the newer ones arnt as good

July 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
As many people have said; its rated E for everyone; my Dad sometimes watches Pokemon with me; if he's up by the time its one xD. And he doesn't seem to mind it at all xD. so anyone can watch and play the games; if you like Pokemon then you like it, its as simple as that ^^. Who cares what other people may think of you if you like it.

Leyt
July 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think that for some, Pokemon is a guilty pleasure. Obviously, it's aimed at children; that's been said enough, as far as I can tell. But if you played it as a kid, you probably enjoyed it to its fullest, and those kinds of memories might make someone want to relive them. Thus, they go out (like I did) and buy the newer versions. Pokemon is almost like masturbating; everyone enjoys it, but no one likes to talk about it. For example, if you masturbate in front of a room of people, you will be considered extremely strange. It may be extreme, yet it's the same with Pokemon.

That's how I see it, at least.

Misheard Whisper
July 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't compare it to masturbating. At least Pokemon isn't taboo.

Yes, Pokemon's childish. No, I don't care. I'm in high school, I love it, and I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm not dumb enough to go around yelling it at the top of my voice, though. That's just asking for trouble.

Allure XI
July 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
It depends on your definition of "childish." I wont argue that Pokemon is a series that is directed towards children, but that doesn't make liking Pokemon a sign of immaturity.

I like Pokemon because it is something I grew up with. I got the games when they first came out in 1998, and I like seeing how the series has grown and changed over the years. I still liked it once it was no longer a "fad" and became "uncool" because unlike most of my friends who had played the games, I liked video games beforehand -- and I think Pokemon is a really great game. It fits my style of play perfectly. I have always liked collecting things, whether it be stamps/rocks/etc., and the "catch all the Pokemon" idea always appealed to me.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I like Pokemon. I carried around my Pokemon Pikachus in middle school, and played the Game Boy games in high school. During my college orientation, I was talking to the new people that I met how I cloned my shinies on Pokemon Emerald to trade them over Wi-Fi. I don't care if anyone judges me for still liking Pokemon. And to be quite honest, the only childish ones are the immature people who would tease someone based on something they like.

Munch Dog
July 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
If Pokemon was as childish as some people claim it is, I don't think websites like this would exist.

Mamoth409
July 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
well personally my gf thinks me playing pokemon is totally lame and makes fun of me for it all the time
but idc pokemon is like the funniest game ever made even if they make fun of me for it im still happy
because pokemon is amazing so if they make fun of u i wouldnt even make a big deal out of it
because really pokemon is for all ages my mom use to play it xD

FreakyLocz14
July 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Theres more strategy involved in Pokemon than all the so-called "grown-up" games

cerulean15
July 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Childish? Pffffft. I remember when the Mew Event was happening here, I met some thirty year old guy there and he had like every other event pokemon there. I was so amazed =D and happy, but sad that I didn't have a link cable so we couldn't trade anything T_T

For me I always grew up on Pokemon, the moment it debuted on tv of course. Took me until Pokemon Silver/Gold to come out for me to learn about the games.....My Mom even knows some pokemon, of course her most notable one is Pikachu....and my grandmother would watch it with me as well.

But from personal experience, most people wind up hiding the information away because they'll think they will be picked on. I found out that most of all my friends were into Pokemon on the last day of my seventh grade year. We spent like 2 hours discussing our favorites and who we would choose as a starter. Though most of them don't show it like me, but it shows that most are just afraid

MLU
July 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Well, it's made for children, but anyone can play it.

Fenrir Reki
July 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I dont really think its childish. It sort of seems more like an anime to me... but the show is somewhat childish though. But the games arent because they are bought and played by people of all different ages, and they get rather addicting to play. Even adults buy the game and play it.

Zeroess
July 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM
the anime can get childish but i still love it and i don't give a damn what people say lol

derozio
July 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I dont really think its childish. It sort of seems more like an anime to me... but the show is somewhat childish though. But the games arent because they are bought and played by people of all different ages, and they get rather addicting to play. Even adults buy the game and play it.
Yeah! That's true. Proof: I read somewhere that someone's dad brought a pokemon game for him but the dad himself got hooked into the pokemon world as he thought the games were addicting! XD

pong08
July 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Pokemon is not childish because I'm still playing it and I'm 19 years old. Though I really feel that pokemon is a bit childish. And although I don't feel the game is childish I do feel that the storyline could be darker.

derozio
July 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Pokemon is not childish because I'm still playing it and I'm 19 years old. Though I really feel that pokemon is a bit childish. And although I don't feel the game is childish I do feel that the storyline could be darker.
Yeah maybe what you say is true. But I think that pokemon will just get darker shades from now on. E.g: Paul as a rival is pretty good(considering his nature).Cyrus too is a pretty dark character.

Sweet Smoochum
July 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
No, it's for everyone. Maybe the anime and the show Pokemon Sunday are a wee bit childish. But who cares? The only people I've heard say that are people in school who want to look like they're "mature." They don't even know the definition. You're counted as mature by the way you act, not what your interests are. I have never heard an adult say whether or not it's immature. If they did, I could honestly care less. I do what makes ME happy. And playing Pokemon games and looking up info for the games makes me happy. The only ones who think it's "immature" are the ones who are in school. They're probably not smart enough to understand let alone, beat the game and they probably suck at it. They're just trying to put me down make me feel bad. Some of my stupid classmates stopped liking Pokemon because of the 1st Movie where Mewtwo turned good and Ash came back to life. (I liked the movie. Sorry if I ruined it for anyone, but it's been out for so long and they even played it on tv recently, so you had your chance to see it.) The anime makes it look childish I guess, because the characters are 10 years old. Whatever. The games are for everyone. Rated "E" for everyone. The game is for people who are smart enough to comprehend what the text says and for people who know what they're doing when they play. It's about strategy. It's also a good way to help you concentrate. Once you're in college, no one cares or teases you about it any more. Some people are even open about it and play the game on the bus during field trips. They even sell DS Lites in the bookstore at the college. I was able to get some people back into liking Pokemon again. (I let them play my LeafGreen and they liked it better than the original. They got their own because of it.) Some people say they stopped because they added more and they don't know any of the new ones. I began liking it when I found out about Gold version in 7th grade. I got excited when I first ran into/captured a Magikarp! My first ever starter was Chikorita. I thought it was cool to catch a Pokemon I've seen in the anime. Ever since, I continued playing Pokemon. I only watch the show once in a while to see how far Ash is on his journey. It's about doing what makes you happy. The ones who say it's "immature" probably secretly play it, too, or like something that's way more immature. (I caught a girl who called Pokemon "immature" playing with a Bratz doll! It was in her pocketbook. She uses it to hold her mirror. This was eighth grade by the way. Another classmate, secretly plays with her sister's Barbies still!) They're just trying to look cool and mature by calling Pokemon "immature." It's not. You have to know what you're doing to play this game. Okay, now I'm repeating myself. But do you all get the point? Do what makes you happy.

IcyArceusRider
July 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Here's what I think about people who think that pokemon is only for 5-year-olds:

Apparently, these people don't understand exactly how complex pokemon really is. There's more to it than just catching and battling little monsters. A five-year-old would actually probably not be able to properly play the game in all its glory because it's too complicated. I think it's fun because of the strategies you get to try out, and finding one that works well for you. Building the perfect team takes a lot of time and practice and knowledge, and it's really not that easy to memorize all those type-matchups if you're a little kid. It's a strategic game. So I will say: No, pokemon video games are not at all childish. Now the anime, on the other hand....is pretty childish (just my opinion).

Serpine
July 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think it's just rated 3+ because of lack of violence, blood, etc. and It is far too complex for a young child to play properly. For example, how many kids do you know who'd spend ages training EVs? How many would understand EVs? Well?

However, saying all this, adults don't talk about it too much. My Mum knows about all Gen 1 pokemon (Her favourite is JigglypufF) But she stopped playing when she became a teacher.

Avey
July 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Who gives a damn? So long as you enjoy playing the games or watching the movies... that's really all that matters.

dotKarma
July 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Theres more strategy involved in Pokemon than all the so-called "grown-up" games

This is the truth. They are games that I didn't think would involve that much strategy (besides type match-ups) at all, but once I found out about IVs and EVs, the game became more complex, and I realized how broad of an audience there is for the games.

pong08
July 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah maybe what you say is true. But I think that pokemon will just get darker shades from now on. E.g: Paul as a rival is pretty good(considering his nature).Cyrus too is a pretty dark character.

oh, and I meant to say pokemon ANIME is childish. But everything else is not. But the anime is slightly getting darker as time goes on.

.little monster
July 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
The anime is most definitely childish. I probably loose 3 years of my maturity just hearing the name. D: It is horrid. The game however is not. You actually need to have some concept of how things work and understanding for that matter to enjoy the game. Those kind of games are not childs play.

Alli
July 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'll agree with my little Ctep on the anime junk. The first season was very good, and not too childish, even when I watch it today. Parents are just protective nuts nowadays and children are spoiled rotten and given iPods and laptops at the age of seven and eight. They end up being complete perves and "tarts" anyway. But that's enough of that rant.

Like I said before, the games are really all ages. There's a childish charm, but there's also fun for the older audience in getting into game mechanics. And if you don't like game mechanics and are still playing, then it must be the charm the game has.

The manga, on the other hand...I'd say you should be at least 12 or 13. It's a little more mature than the anime...maybe not even a little with it's sauna scenes and idea of "everyone living together" and the butt patting. Compared to the anime, it's miles ahead in maturity.

TCG is definitely all ages. I love the TCG, unfortunately, it's a little uncommon to find someone else that plays around here, so most of my Pokemon TCG career has just been collecting. I have eleven battling decks, though. But older players find the battling better, I suppose. Requires a good bit of strategy, and I'm actually quite proud of myself for getting my little brother into it. He's eight, but he's pretty good at playing the card game, but for the most part, he enjoys collecting. But like I said, the TCG is kind of an all age thing.

Jirachu
July 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
This topic inspired me to make a topic catering to 'girly girls' here.

And, okay, I admit it...lately, i've been kinda dropping out of Pokémon a little. Mainly due to my pearl game, although, my time to 'move on' may be coming overall...

However, I still want to play the new g/s re-makes before I say goodbye to Pokémon possably forever or at least till I become a mother (if that ever happons..lol). it's importent I play them....lol

KRAL
July 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
20 years old and i still cant get enough of pokemon, in all its forms.

except for pokemon pinball... ewwww

Jirachu
July 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
20 years old and i still cant get enough of pokemon, in all its forms.

except for pokemon pinball... ewwww

Ahhh...I think the Pokémon Pinball games are nice. :) And kinda cute :D

AlphaMightyena
July 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Games- the games in pokemon, you had to use stratgey but all ages

Anime- the #1 and #9 season were good, other than that i think it's directly for kids

Maga- i couldn't relly understand that untill i was 11 (i've ben playing pokemon for over 6 years)

TCG- that is more mature than moast Media in pokemon but i just collect now i think i have about 10 complete card sets.

School Kid John
July 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
This question can be applied to 90% of Nintendo games. The short answer is yes, the long answer is no.

No because if these games were first released in the 80s, adults would have played them more than kids. Yes because these days graphics are MUCH MUCH more sophisticated, and adults tend to like games that are more realistic and violent.

I'll always play Pokemon games for the simple fact that they are great RPGs.

Formula1
July 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Yes
But don't we all have a little child in us...
...looking to give a big hug to a snorlax?
^_____^

Trap-Eds
July 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
This thread is a tad monotonous[sp?]... Anyway, I don't think Pokemon is childish. The people who do probably just look at the anime and never give the games a chance. Can't say I really blame them, even though I still enjoy the anime. :D

SIN1488
July 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You shouldn't care what other people think about your hobbies.

Pokemon may be called childish but we have fun with it so who cares?

BlueMaySapphire13
July 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Well the anime is a little childish..
But not the manga (Pokemon Special/Adventures)

Charsivy
July 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
In some ways, Pokémon can be considered childish. The anime teaches lessons and has goody-goody characters and the episodes are often repetitive. The games are also repetitive and can be very easy. The card game can just go as deep as grabbing random cards and staring at them.

However... in many other ways, it can be enjoyed by teenagers and adults. The anime is often entertaining, sometimes deep (just look at the Japanese first movie), can contain mature elements, and has some good, well developed characters. The games have Effort Values, stats, natures... tons of complicated things that I haven't even been able to fully grasp. Not to mention you can make the game hard by doing certain challenges. Also, it can take a lot of planning in strategy to make a card deck and battle it against other people with decks and skills matching or better than yours.

Then there are the other, more often overlooked aspects of the series. The manga, for example, has some very dark moments. In Pokémon Adventures, animals are shown been killed, Pokémon zombies are showed, and main characters are almost murdered... and this can be all found in the first saga. Which has indeed been translated into English. Also, the Japanese manga has even more... suggestive images in one of them, I think The Electric Tale of Pikachu (I'm not entirely sure, however). There is one Japan-only manga called Pocket Monsters in which we see the... you don't want to know... by the end of chapter two. And this is just the beginning.

There's also the banned episodes, once again the Japanese first movie, the fact that Pokémon like Scyther exist... there's so much evidence toward Pokémon not being a child-only series that it's amazing. Not to mention the whole series is about monsters with super powers fighting each other... and with brutal attacks like Flamethrowers and Hydro Pumps.

Also, compare Pokémon's childish level with other series that are considered childish. Hamtaro, for example. Hamtaro is waaaay more childish and repetitive than Pokémon. As is Sanrio. Neopets is about equal to Pokémon in that respect, although the monsters are far more cutesy.

Not to say Pokémon isn't for children, not at all. It's for all ages, as there are aspects taht all ages can enjoy. Teenagers and adults can indeed enjoy the childish aspects as well if they're open enough and young at heart. I myself like not only Pokémon but Hamtaro, Neopets, Sanrio and Littlest Pet Shop, all "childish things", especially Sanrio. It depends on the person.

Also, the anime's as childish now as it's always been. The older episodes were NOT "more mature". It just seems that way because you watched them as a kid, and now seeing the newer episodes as a teen/adult makes them seem childish. I bet if you were a teen/adult in 1998 you'd have thought the older episodes were childish too.

glow.ForEveR
July 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm going to agree with what has been said over 9000 times already.

Pokemon is aimed at a younger audience D: *Gasp*

BUT thats not going to keep me from loving it as much as I do! And i dont think it should stop anyone from loving it. The games are amazing and the show is fun to watch. Im 18 about to go into colledge, but i LOVE IT.

one of the comments made about 40 year olds who arnt creepy pedophiles loving the game is completely true.

At work ( Gamestop) I met this dude who was trading in some older games. I made comments about how awesome some of the games he was trading in were and in a few moments we got into the topic of pokemon. He told me that back in the day with the TGC was HUGE he would host neighborhood wide tourneys and competitions! he now battles online in pokemon platinum. The rest of the day i was on this pokemon headrush because of all the nostalgia! lolz anywayz i lovez me teh pokemanz :3 <3

Jirachu
July 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
MB, good post.

I don't agree that Sanrio is fully 'childish', though...it's amazingly poplular with 'preppy' and 'girly' people and the charictors are actually styalish-looking enouth to be placed on adult clothing. They even got goth/punk styals! And HK clothes with skull and cross
bone (maybe you'll think pirates, but whateba..) and even BLOOD desions on them (mainly halloween-ish stuff, but...STILL). Oh, and, not to mension...Hello Kitty PLAYBOY BUNNIES. Hello Kitty/Sanrio, much like Pokemon is, are universal in appel and can be good for any age...although, they still have yet to open up the minds of the GUYS. >_>; But i'm NOT going to get into THAT...lol

Although, it CAN be hard to see Hello Kitty a non-kid thing if your not at all knolagable about fasion, I guess...lol To be honist I don't know a lot about fasion, either...But I still wouldn't say Hello Kitty is all that 'childish'...lol

Pokemon, above all, as with Hello Kitty, Hamtaro, Kirby (*birds chirping* anyone...anyone...remember him? xD *shot*), and anything else that could be called 'childish' (what a STUPID label...peh), has it's overall appel in ENTERTAINMENT. WHich, in the end...is always nice^^

i'm kinda drowzy right now, but i know i'll got a lot more to say later :P

~jchu^^

July 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
It really all depends on how you look at it; the Games are for everyone and the same goes for the Anime, it just all depends if you're into that sort of thing. But I think the games and the Anime have something in common and always have; The Will to never give up no matter what. Both meanings are handed out in similar ways; the games show that if you train, work out how to go about battles then its possible to beat all the gyms and the Elite Four as well as all the random trainers you come across on your journey.
The Anime brings out that meaning as well, if you trust, love, believe in yourself, Your friends then anything is possible no matter how difficult something may seem, I've never believed that anything is impossible unless its proven right to my face.

Some people probably believe that Pokemon is childish because they're growing up, and with growing up unfortunately comes the automatic change of leaving things you once loved and enjoyed behind. This isn't the case for everyone but it happens to a lot of people as they grow up. But even when most of us have moved on away from Pokemon and gotten into other things and are more involved in life responsebilities that come to us all. The message; whatever that may be that Pokemon gave us all, will always be there. Well its what I believe anyway xD. But that message may be different with different people, or they receive it in a different way. =3

Another message that I believe that Pokemon gives; no matter what, no matter where, no matter how different something may be from something else, there is a place in this world for every living creature, human or animal it doesn't matter. Everything deserves to have a place in the ever growing world we're in. In spite of Pokemon being just a cartoon, most of those Pokemon are based off real life animals in our world, minus the special powers and things.

Galukxy
January 3rd, 2010, 04:38 AM
Pokemon is for all ages i don't see a rating or nothing for pokemon except for the games i love pokemon i watch it and play it :D

Tennis_Lion818
January 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think pokemon is childish...Except for the anime. NOW that was directed to children. The manga is more complex though.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
January 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
In a way, yes, Pokemon is childish, but yet, it isn't.

The anime is most definitly for little kids. That goes without saying.

The manga, however, is more for teenagers. I started reading it at the begining of Christmas vacation (2 weeks ago) and I'm into the G/S/C saga and yeah, a lot of it is more for teens than little kids (Especially the swearing in the begining of the G/S/C saga on Manga Fox, lol).

The games are timeless. It has the charm the little kids love and beg their parents to get when they see a new commercial, but it has the deeper side of it, mechanics-wise, where older gamers can enjoy themselves with Nature-hunting and EV training.

The TCG, I believe, is for kids. I dropped Pokemon Cards when I was 10, 15 now. I do still find certain appeal to them, but I believe the actual 'playing' of the game is childish.

Game Over1375
January 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Pokemon is not a secret to me or my friends. I play it extensively, and I have never received any lip about it. When I was little, I would bring the cards to school. The bullies would make fun of me, but I don't think they will try to say anything if I brought the old deck to school now.

I need to find that thing anyway. Too many rare Pokemon cards were in that deck.

The Doctor
January 3rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
i think anybody who answers this about the games is lying because why would they have registered on this community if they didnt like it?

The anime is childish , the games i love

KrissyxKid
January 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
As most other people have stated, pokemon is in fact aimed towards children. The anime especially, it seems. However, I don't think that should stop anyone from enjoying it. Although older audiences may not the main demographic targeted, pokemon definitely relies on elder audiences for their profit, although slightly less so than children. For instance, why would Hot topic sell like... eight pokemon shirts, slippers, and other accessories meant for adults if the only demographic was children?

A suprising amount of my classmates enjoy pokemon, whether because it's a new "trend", a wave of nostalgia, or just because it's a creative game with many cute characters and lessons to enjoy. However, prying out of them that they enjoy pokemon seems to be the challenge.

So, my conclusion is yes, the main demographic is children. The anime seems blantantly obviously so (though in a nostalgic way, enjoyable in my oppinion). However, the pokemon franchise would most likely fail if it targeted ONLY children. There's no reason not to enjoy it for yourself. :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
There's actually a good amount of depth behind most aspects of the franchise (with the anime being the notable exception) that makes it suitable for all ages. There's that stigma of it being for kids but if you take time to look deeper into the games, manga, etc., there's something for most anyone to enjoy.

The problem for many is, of course, getting them to look past the "kiddie" outer layer in the first place.

TheFuturePokemon
January 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Now maybe we should start a thread if Pokemon are for girls.

RivalGator
January 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I think it just depends on what you're doing. I think the anime is for kids, the games are for all ages because it's a little more realistic, seeing as the Cubone's mother was killed by Team Rocket, when in the anime nothing like that would ever happen.

But I think the manga is more for the teenage audience because children probably wouldn't grasp all the messages in the manga. It is also a little darker than the anime, so I would say that the manga is the least childish.

Zeta Patchouli
January 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Long rant in spoiler that may or may not be good. Putting it in spoilers in case you don't want to read it.

The games themselves are designed to target all audiences. The anime targets younger audiences, while the manga targets older ones, like teenagers. Problem is, not much is out in the US... at least, not yet. The games go through different target audiences, let's take a look at two of them.

Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure: Nothing too dark as far as we know. To me, it isn't really the most... mature game. A bunch of mini-games, it seems. To me, it seems targeted towards a younger audience, but it can attract older people to it.

And the second game.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky: Hoo boy, where do we begin? Can you honestly tell me that this was aimed mostly at kids? This game can get dark, and it does so fairly quickly. Dusknoir, especially in Sky, is unusual to be in a game soley aimed for kids, as his alternate plan involves destroying Grovyle's soul to go back in time in said pokemon's body and kill off the Hero and his Partner.

Tvtropes actually has an extensive section about some things that are put into 'High Octane Nightmare Fuel' for this game. This is copied from the section, and it is both about Darkrai, and the game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HighOctaneNightmareFuel/VideoGames

There you go, you're all in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness mood. These are just a few highlights of the trauma fest Nintendo damned on children and gamers. The entire story mode is a project of Nightmare Fuel containment, even the lighter parts, and Wigglytuff isn't a good enough comic relief. Who can forget Darkrai. While usually he's portrayed as loathed, misunderstood, sympathetic, kind hearted, and maybe even heroic with the most unplesent self-defence mechanism, this version isn't. He's a cunning, pure evil, powerful, heartless, tramuatic, diabolical, sadistic, ruthless, nightmare master that give Freddy Krooger a run for his money. He's behind all of the above and admits it. He also sent poor Azril into an infinite nightmare (it gets cured) for the fun of it. The pokemon was scary originally but this is crazy. His plan is to send the world into an infinite nightmare so he may rule! His first attempt was the above future. Remember he corrupted a GOD and SENT ANOTHER AFTER YOU!!! He lures you into a final battle and waits if you loose because he's that sadistic. I can't believe he wasn't at number one, or even on the list of Game Informer's top ten villains of 2008. Then there's the fact that for an E-rated game it plays to Primal Fear and Adult Fear. Oh, one of the morals is that you can't trust anyone and saints will send you to Hell. Like what Dusknoir did or how Drowzee kidnapped Azril while pretending to be a KIND MAN! OR how even the Sherif wants "Carnage". This game is what Nightmare Fuel dreams of becoming and is seriously messed up.

That may be somewhat off, but I think it proves my point, if someone sees it that way. This one seems to be for older audiences, but still light enough to keep the 'E' Rating. The younger people will still be attracted to this game, but it appeals to older people.

With these games, spinoffs they may be, but still carry the name Pokemon. The audience for these games is quite a bit larger then just the little kids. Look at this forum, there's plenty of older teens and adults here.

Now the main games? Both ways. With the more hidden factors, like IVs and EVs, that allows people to make the best possible statistics for said pokemon. That plays to both kids and adults. Not to mention Cyrus' plan in turning everyone (Including himself) into emotionless drones in his new world.

To make a long story short (Too late), no. Only the anime is truly childish, and even that can bring in older people.

Arcanine
January 3rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
As much as I'd love for this thread to go on (and it can if someone starts a new thread).... it's passed it's 1 month revival time. I don't mind the topic, but there's no reason to go back 5 and a half months to post in a thread.

*Closed*