View Full Version : Damn Vulernable Linux

Virtual Chatot
May 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Honestly, I"ve been playing around with the Linux distro Damn Vulnerable Linux, and it's the perfect toy for anyone who wants to toy around with security exploits.

Note: I am not advocating non-ethical hacking, but as a tool for ethical hacking.

May 28th, 2009, 3:21 PM
it sorta reminds me of BackTrack

Virtual Chatot
May 29th, 2009, 7:43 PM
A bit like Backtrack, although Backtrack is meant to be the one doing the attacking ;)

This is the other way around.

May 29th, 2009, 7:45 PM
Though BackTrack is limited to what it can work with

May 30th, 2009, 6:00 PM
They don't say much on the site. So is this Distro vulnerable, or is it just for (ethical) hacking of other computers?
< Is confused.

May 30th, 2009, 6:09 PM
I think it's both for ethical and non-ethical hacking

May 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I think it's both for ethical and non-ethical hacking
Still, is it that the actually distro is vulnerable or is it the 'hacker' computer, for want of a better word. Hacked or Hacker?

Virtual Chatot
May 31st, 2009, 4:28 PM
They made it vulnerable on purpose to be the, hacked.

You'd use something like backtrack to be the hacker.

May 31st, 2009, 5:05 PM
why would they create something to be 'hacked' ?

May 31st, 2009, 5:25 PM
why would they create something to be 'hacked' ?

One method of being up to date on hacking methods (thus allowing you to make adequate security changes) is to purposely be hacked.

Another method is to be the hacker. The best way to properly make a network safe against such threats is to know the methods yourself from the get go.

I suppose this system could also be used to work on new "hacking programs" for the script kiddies out there (like the DDoS'ers nailing our servers!).

May 31st, 2009, 8:09 PM
The file size for this distro left me with my jaw dropping, it blew a small junk of my internet cap away. Now I just have to find a blank working DVD ;;