PDA

View Full Version : Can you love a pokemon?

xxshiny_umbreonXX
May 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
My brother tells me that my beloved pokemon are just code when i love them like theyr'e real. I have over 900 pokemon when i combine the number of pokemon i have on each game and i adore them all. I would never ever trade. theyr'e just all so much fun to have. Does anyone feel this way?

Kzuma
May 31st, 2009, 11:02 AM
yes just code no i love them:)

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
May 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
I think that in a way, you do create a kind of emotional attachment to the 'pieces of code', in the same way you create emotional attachments to the characters in any good video game. I personally wouldn't describe it as me loving them, but I do, to some extent, care for them.

However, I'm not going to be screaming in sorrow when they faint or something XD

Gusxx1
May 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM
However, I'm not going to be screaming in sorrow when they faint or something XD

I lol'd.

I agree, i get attached to were i don't want to trade the pokemon i trained myself because they have value to me. Any other way i don't care, unless my game fried then all my hard work would be gone. Thats the only things i care about, not the pokemon

OokamiShipper
May 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I can kinda develop an emotional attachment for my Pokemon, especially my Charizard. <333
I was so brokenhearted when transferred her to my Pearl, and she didn't form a bond with me at first. xP

XxDawnfanxX
May 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have defiantly developed an attachment for my pokemon, as said above I am not going to cry if it faints or if it gets poisoned I won't say "****, I need to get the pokemon center now!" haha. Mainly my starters are the ones I grow a very what I'd sayy "bond" to. My Weezing would probably be my closest but all my pokemon are equal to me.

Miss Soupy
May 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, it's very possible to develop an attachment to your Pokemon. The game itself can turn into quite a lengthy experience, and sometimes it's hard not to create a "bond" with them. Also, in the game you always hear characters in the game talking about how you should treasure your Pokemon and yeah. =p

You're not exactly in love, I would guess, but you do feel a connection. Which I think many of us do.

AuraAshley
May 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM
im sorry this thread made me laugh. i have no physical or emotional love for my coded pokemon. they arent real so there shouldnt be any real emotions to them.

Miss Soupy
May 31st, 2009, 12:57 PM
im sorry this thread made me laugh. i have no physical or emotional love for my coded pokemon. they arent real so there shouldnt be any real emotions to them.
So you've never felt any emotions for video game characters at all? D: Like, understood them in anyway? Liked the character at all?
It's kind of like that.

And of course they're not real. There's a giant gap between feeling a kind of "bond," with pixels and being obsessed or in love with them.

ShinjisLover
May 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
It's possible. I grew attached to my Raichu, Charizard, Arcanine, Golduck, Ivysaur, and Marowak (which is, basically, my main team in FireRed). .

kingofjokers
May 31st, 2009, 01:20 PM

good point i get attachments to a couple 100 in each game no matter if they pixles

AuraAshley
May 31st, 2009, 01:28 PM
So you've never felt any emotions for video game characters at all? D: Like, understood them in anyway? Liked the character at all?
It's kind of like that.

And of course they're not real. There's a giant gap between feeling a kind of "bond," with pixels and being obsessed or in love with them.

no i never have loved an anime/video game character. i have liked characters but never felt any emotions to them

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE
May 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Of course. ;) You can tell that I always love my trained Espeon, Dawndancer a million times more to the spare hacked one I have.
In fact, I actually prefer my Pokémon much more than a lot of real people. I'm such an insensitive person, but my Pokémon are like my children. Also its very satisfying to yell commands at the ds (even in battles against other people)

dream's-epilogue
May 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
To an extent, I suppose. I only played the first & second Gen games, where the Pokemon didn't really have personalities; they were just things that fought for you.

I had somewhat of a bond in Yellow, only because Pika actually had a personality in that game. But I eventually lost that bond, too.

That's primarily why I write Pokemon fanfics. I can set up any kind of adventure I can imagine, and the Pokemon actually HAVE personalities; look at Matsu. How many other Pokemon sources do you know that show a sadistic, short-tempered, power-hungry, warmongering Pika?

coolcatkim22
May 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
What's so hard about loving bits of code?

Love's already irrational as it is.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE
May 31st, 2009, 03:14 PM
What's so hard about loving bits of code?

Love's already irrational as it is.

Oww... That's actually very sweet. That would be the perfect thing to put in a Valentine's Day card to send to one of your Pokémon. ^^

Azonic
May 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
No, I can't say I would actually want to go out with a pile of pixels.

The Hero Without a Name
May 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
No, I can't say I would actually want to go out with a pile of pixels.
^This.
Granted, I can cuddle a Pikachu plushie, but all of the "physical love" isn't going to make him a living, breathing mouse.

AuraAshley
May 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM
i cant honestly imagine someone loving an inatamite object. all pokemon are are 1's and 0's. why would you love a 1 and 0? i dont know i dont see why someone would. but thats just my opinion

Rocket scientist
May 31st, 2009, 06:55 PM
No, I don't.

However, to some extent, When I was younger and played pokemon Gold, I cared for them and I wouldn't trade, but nowdays, I don't care about a set of codes.

Miss Soupy
May 31st, 2009, 06:58 PM
It's not considered real love. It's attachment. I don't think that the OP or anyone wants to date or get romantically involved with a Pokemon.

The "love" I think of when I see this thread is like the love you would have for a Tamogatchi or the such. It's not real love, but rather - to a certain extent - care. There's a big difference between the love you feel for pixels and the love you feel for a real person.

So I don't think anyone wants to date a Pokemon in here... xDDDD

Feign
May 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM
i cant honestly imagine someone loving an inatamite object.

There's a lot of that in the world, for many other things, basically anything that is a noun can be loved.

If we wanted to define the merits of love though, we could debate on what 'true love' is and such.

Not to mention that even an "attachment" could be considered love.

Though I'd find love to be more meaningful if it were reciprocated by said noun.

XxDawnfanxX
May 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Now if Pokemon were real, this would be a whole different story lol. Attachments would definatly form to probably a really close bond. It would be a really nice world if pokemon and humans were to live together for those who would treat them right. But since it is a game, it is hard for most people to say they have grown an attachment for a virtual pokemon.

Nnoitra Jiruga
May 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hunh bonds? I'm...not that...caring? -coughwheezehack-
Er...I'll probably care about Weaviles, but that's pretty much it 8 D

dream's-epilogue
May 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM
The virtual things, agree with most. At least when it comes to the trainer games; they do very well at not giving Poke's personalities.

Of course, the real thing is another matter. I have no problem loving my fellow Chu's ;)

FalconJoker
May 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
You CAN love a Pokemon, but you really shouldn't. Anyone who actually falls in love (and I mean in love, not just feeling strongly about it) with any video game character or item or what have you, is going down a bad road.

Sure everyone gamer (whether hardcore or casual) will get a little passionate about video games, but when you truly fall in love with something like that, you could be in some trouble.

Not trying to scare anyone, but look up some articles over people who have gotten so attached to certain video game icons that they actually killed themselves over it (everquest and WOW come to mind). While those are MMOs and not Pokemon, whose to say it couldn't happen to a non-MMO game?

Again, not trying to scare anyone, just trying to shed a different light on this question. XD

zappy_flash
May 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
You can feel a lot for virtuallity

dream's-epilogue
May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM
*existentialism alert*

But who's to say they couldn't be real? I mean, not literally in our world, but think about it. There are an infinite number of alternate realities with an infinite number of possibilities, so there's a 100% chance there's one with real-live Pokemon....it's just a matter of FINDING that one-in-infinite universes....

And as for me? Well....the government DOES have a lot of secrets....who's to say I'm not actually the world's first successfully genetically engineered Pikachu? Or even one from that other dimension I mentioned earlier, who found a way to cross over?

Never trust what you can only see...

"Can you survive what you can only see? As the bonds of reality break, the world becomes apparent..."
*end existentialism alert*

Isabelle
June 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Pokemons are just animals in real life. and i love nature and animals. Especially my Pet Dog.

Cherrim
June 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
i cant honestly imagine someone loving an inatamite object. all pokemon are are 1's and 0's. why would you love a 1 and 0? i dont know i dont see why someone would. but thats just my opinion
"I love my new phone! I'd be devastated if I lost it or if it were stolen!" You've never heard something like that before? Love doesn't necessarily refer to romantic love or anything. In the sense of this thread it just means an attachment. You've never felt proud when the Pokemon you've been training forever finally levels? You've never been really excited to finally hatch a Pokemon with the perfect nature, IVs, whatever?

I kinda feel bad then. I mean I know it's just a game but it seems kinda boring to me if you can play through the whole thing and not have any real preference for any of your Pokemon. :( Kinda ruins the point of having such a variety, imo.

Captain Fabio
June 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM
If people fall in love with a structure and get married to it, then loving a little bit of pixels on a screen is nothing! XD

.Ozymandias
June 1st, 2009, 07:56 AM
I care about them, the same way I care about... My handbag, or laptop mouse or something. It's an attachment, not a 'OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU!' type thing, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it - Nintendo would probably be rather pleased that a game based on bug collecting makes millions want to play for hours.

Kazukii
June 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, sometimes there really are Pokemon that you begin to love & adore. I felt that about my Munchlax once =P

xxshiny_umbreonXX
June 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, sometimes there really are Pokemon that you begin to love & adore. I felt that about my Munchlax once =P
i agree. My favorite pokemon is my venusuar, chop, on pokemon blue. He's been mine since i was 3 years old.he's stroooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg too! He's level 62 but i've never used gameshark or anything...i just spent alot of time with him.

BHwolfgang
June 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have a 'special bond' with my main team, but that's about it.

matt561
June 3rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
I have a special attachment to 3 pokemon wich are: Luxray,Absol and Meganium.

Luxray I find ironic because I really dont like cats

Inkfingers
June 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I feel the same way about my pokemon.

TRUE_INSANE_KING
June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't say i LOVE my pokemon. But there are certain ones that i'm a bit attached to and wouldn't remove from my team. Now an OBSESSION.. i do have one. Paper Mario is my obsession. But that's the only one..When it comes to pokemon, it's just an attachment

Zebeedoo
June 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Of course. <3 Even though they aren't real,I still love them. I even fly back home to Twinleaf Town when I am about to go to bed,and say goodnight to my team and all! Call my weird,I don't care. XD

niksmart1a
June 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
yes u can love a pokemon.

Zophus Maverick
June 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
i dont know about you peoples but i can.. XD

Superjub
June 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It depends what you mean by love... :\ Love, as in, care for them, or love as in, LOVE, you know, kissing them etc. I guess the prior ones alright, but no, it is kindof sad to go that extreme over a piece of coding. :\

Nitrous Oxide
June 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Sure you can. I have a Swellow that I would never give up, just because it's mine, and I've had it through all of my games since Sapphire. It's also the only Pokemon I've ever bothered to train to level 100.

xxshiny_umbreonXX
June 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
It depends what you mean by love... :\ Love, as in, care for them, or love as in, LOVE, you know, kissing them etc. I guess the prior ones alright, but no, it is kindof sad to go that extreme over a piece of coding. :\
i love them as in i care about them. I would never make out with code lol!
I don't go to extreme like if one faints i won't scream "MY POOR LITTLE BABY!" i'll say "Dang...that one needs more training."or"Oh well...i tried". But i know no matter how many poffins i feed them they'll never be real. My love for them is more imagination.what i mean by that is while i'm in the pokemon world i might as well become a trainer and be one with the pokemon. Sure i love them but i know there's limits.