PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about avast!

M i n a t o //
June 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
This is probably common sense, but I want to make sure. Do I first download and start the universal installation file then download the English version and run it? When I'm installing it, would it be best to start the computer in safe mode and have my router disconnected?(I'll be uninstalling McAfee so my computer willl be pretty open) Also I 've heard that avast! doesn't have a firewall, so are there any reliable open-source/free firewalls that I can get that are compatible with avast? One last question, what other programs should I get to keep my computer safe and clean? I already have Malwarebytes.

Gerri Shin
June 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
you'll still need the internet so Avast! can download it's initial updates. being without an AV for a half hour (give or take a few minutes) won't reign destruction or viruses on it. There should be a separate installer for different languages. If your using Vista you can always re-enable the Windows firewall.

Zet
June 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
You'd only get infected if you browse infected sites/open infected files etc. Though if I recall correctly Avast does have a built in firewall since Avast goes crazy if you have ZoneAlarm installed. For a free firewall, I have heard good things about Comodo's firewall.

Also get SpywareBlaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) and SpywareGuard (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html) I have heard that they're both good and reliable. And as for anything else I recommend searching and reading through programs on download.com
Here's a link for security software: http://download.cnet.com/windows/security-software/

.little monster
June 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I say download the installer, uninstall McAfee, restart and install Avast. That way you wont have you will be safe. However no matter what you wont get infected if you don't visit infected sites. For a firewall I suggest Comodo as well, very good.

And for a last bit, I HIGHLY recommend you not get Avast! Avast has horrid reviews. Also, when I used Avast I got viruses and trojans all the time. My computer crashed every month from them. I switched to AVG Free and haven't had a problem since. I highly recommend you get AVG Free with Comodo Firewall and Regiblue Powersuite.

Zet
June 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I've seen nothing but positive reviews about Avast and I have had used Avast in the past. I'm currently using NOD32 and have no plans to change in the future.

I once used AVG and got infected with dozen of viruses and when I switched to Avast, it detected them and killed them. So unlike AVG, Avast knows how to detect.

twocows
June 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Do not install or run programs in safe mode. Safe mode has limited functionality, and certain parts of the program may not install. I would recommend keeping your router up so that avast! can get updates. As long as you're not doing anything else besides installing avast!, you should be fine to just leave your router going.

If you want a good firewall, I recommend CFP (http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html) (make sure to only install the firewall at installation), though if you've got a router and Windows Firewall running, you should be fine (most routers have a lot of firewall functionality built in).

Archer
June 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I'm just going to back up Zet by saying that AVG is useless. Avast! is fine (despite the strange interface) or I use Avira Antivir, which I find great and it isn't a memory hog.

Melody
June 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I say download the installer, uninstall McAfee, restart and install Avast. That way you wont have you will be safe. However no matter what you wont get infected if you don't visit infected sites. For a firewall I suggest Comodo as well, very good.

And for a last bit, I HIGHLY recommend you not get Avast! Avast has horrid reviews. Also, when I used Avast I got viruses and trojans all the time. My computer crashed every month from them. I switched to AVG Free and haven't had a problem since. I highly recommend you get AVG Free with Comodo Firewall and Regiblue Powersuite.

Avast! has good scores according to several independant AV testing organizations.

I've seen nothing but positive reviews about Avast and I have had used Avast in the past. I'm currently using NOD32 and have no plans to change in the future.

I once used AVG and got infected with dozen of viruses and when I switched to Avast, it detected them and killed them. So unlike AVG, Avast knows how to detect.

I'll have to agree, Avast! is much better than AVG, Bar none. I've had Avast! for two years now, and while I've had a few false alarms in the past, I've NEVER had a virus. Even when I browse to highly infected sites, Avast! always kicks in and either aborts the connection, or warns me about it and neutralizes the threat. It's resident scanner is lightweight and does not leave a large memory footprint.

I have no need to use anything more than Windows Firewall to be honest. Avast! does a fairly good job of preventing drive-by infections, and I have a router, so in essence I have a hardware firewall in place.