PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 pricing has been released

Gerri Shin
June 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
and it's cheaper than Vista. Yes that time has come Microsoft has finally released the pricing details for Windows 7. Thankfully there aren't 5+ versions this time around.
Here's the Pricing Model: (USD)
Home Premium Upgrade: $119.99
Home Premium Full: $199.99
Professional Upgrade: $199.99
Professional Full: $299.99
Ultimate Upgrade: $219.99
Ultimate Full: $319.99
Mind you there's really only a $40- price difference between Windows 7 and Windows Vista, However if you live in the US, Canada, or Japan you can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 today. Also if you pre-order, you can get a 58% discount on Home Premium upgrade and 50% off of Professional Upgrade. (there is no discount on Ultimate) These promo prices make so that you can get Home premium for $49 and Professional for $99.

You can pre-order from the Microsoft Store or you can order from retailers like Newegg, Amazon, or Best Buy. Here's a link to the Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-preorders-begin-in-the-us-canada-and-japan.ars) with a full list of retailers.
Those that Pre-order can expect to see it shipped or available to download on Oct. 22. 2009.
Microsoft Store Link: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

Pazuzu
June 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Pretty fair for retail prices, to be honest. I'll still be getting a Systembuilder CD nontheless, doesn't hurt to save a few bucks. :P

(They also announced that europeans won't be able to upgrade from the 7 RC or previous versions because of the removed IE8, thanks a bunch, Opera!)

Amachi
June 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM
We get a discount if we're using the RC? Awesome :D. I'm hoping that will carry on to Australian prices.

So, now I need to get some money, haha.

Eureka1
June 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Pricing eh.

Probably grab Ultimate.

Gumball Watterson
June 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
40$ less than Vista? Chances are my dad's gonna buy both Full and Upgrade this time.

Kazukii
June 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Not too bad & my mums cousin works for Microsoft so we can get it cheaper :)

Melodyfree
June 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Ahaha, I'm still living in 2005 with XP. Those upgrades look super cheap though :D If my computer is compatible, maybe I can convince my parents to pre-order Professional for me. If not...well, then I really need a new computer. xD;

twocows
June 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Ahaha, I'm still living in 2005 with XP. Those upgrades look super cheap though :D If my computer is compatible, maybe I can convince my parents to pre-order Professional for me. If not...well, then I really need a new computer. xD;
You're welcome <3 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx)

I probably won't be buying right away. Unless the release version is significantly different than the RC, I see no reason to get something I don't need. For now, I'm fine with XP, and when the extended support cycle ends for XP, I'll consider upgrading to whatever's available at the time (which might be the next OS past Windows 7).

Kazukii
June 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I'm still on XP too. It works fine :D

Gerri Shin
June 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
We get a discount if we're using the RC? Awesome :D. I'm hoping that will carry on to Australian prices.

So, now I need to get some money, haha.

It actually doesn't matter if you used the RC, the beta or what. Everyone who lives in the US, Canada, or Japan can get that discount right now through July 11th. (I'm not sure if Microsoft will extend that offer to Australia, but if they don't you could always get a friend who lives in one of those countries to buy it for you and then reimburse them when they mail it to you.)

I pre-ordered the Professional upgrade this morning, I couldn't resist grabbing a Microsoft OS for less than $150 that's actually useful. (I got Pro because that XP compatibility mode would be a nice fall back in case a program doesn't work right away.)

s0nido
June 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
At prices this low, I'm probably getting the Ultimate version when it comes out in Australia.

.Seth
June 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Sweet! Lower prices than Vista! Plus it's a better OS. Microsoft is really hitting it well with Se7en!

Horizon
June 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Great, not too expensive there. I'll wait until the UK prices are released before I decide which version I'll buy.

Archer
June 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I'll sit on the RC and see if the price drops on Full Premium or Professional before this one expires.

Oh Australia price list, where art thou?

Serene Grace
June 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I'm fine with Ultimate full. I've just got myself a custom built computer and my dad and I are just waiting till Windows 7 comes out. We spent £700 on the computer parts and we'll spend £300 on 7's OS. We have just about enough I think. ;]

Alinthea
June 27th, 2009, 03:59 AM
That is pretty respectable.
Those prices look a lot to me, then I noticed they were "$" instead of "£"! XDDDD

Silly me.
If I rebuild my computer, or build a whole new one, I would probably upgrade to Windows 7.