PDA

View Full Version : Best RAR Client?

Archer
June 27th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I'm currently using 7-Zip, but I find it old and clunky. Anyone found a decent Free RAR Client?

Zet
June 27th, 2009, 04:37 AM
you win one winRAR, I find it to be the best, though you can pay for it, no one forces you to :3

Alinthea
June 27th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Like Zet said, winRAR is the best.

I have used it for a long time and it is perfect.
Does all of the stuff you need it too.

And it is free. What more could you ask for! XD

Archer
June 27th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I guess. I knew about it's freeness but I sort of avoided it for that reason. Eh, I guess I'll get that, but I'd like to see some alternatives... for Windows.

Alinthea
June 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Well, all you need to do is Google it really...
The best one you are going to come across is winRAR and the 7-ZIP.

Others are:
Unrarlib
Stuffit Expander
RAR Extract Frog 1

They are the only ones I can actually see for windows.
They are all free as well.

abnegation
June 27th, 2009, 05:02 AM
WinRaR. Nothing really has the conveiniance & it doesn't cost anything even though they ask you to purchase eveytime you open it up but you just choose contune or whatever and it goes away. I couldn't see myself using anything else other than winRAR i have to say

Archer
June 27th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Well, all you need to do is Google it really...
The best one you are going to come across is winRAR and the 7-ZIP.

Others are:

Unrarlib
Stuffit Expander
RAR Extract Frog 1

They are the only ones I can actually see for windows.
They are all free as well.

But Google doesn't give a honest recount of its experiences with particular programs. It spits out what has the same keywords. Thanks anyway.

Alinthea
June 27th, 2009, 05:07 AM
But Google doesn't give a honest recount of its experiences with particular programs. It spits out what has the same keywords. Thanks anyway.
Look, if you want to go with one that has good experiences, go with winRAR.

There aren't many "experiences" with the others, because, I bet, about 80%-85% of people who use RAR formats use winRAR.
It is the most reliable.

Bianca Paragon
June 27th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Winrar is winrar, obviously.
For Mac, UnrarX works a treat!

JP
June 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
WinRAR indeed, as others have said.

twocows
June 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I don't understand why you dislike 7-zip. It's small, fast, and once you set file associations in the options menu, it's easy to use. Even WinRAR isn't as fast when it comes to unpacking archives. The only problem I've ever had with 7-zip is that it doesn't properly display RAR comments.

Also, for those saying WinRAR, it costs $29 if you want to use it legally past 40 days. Another thing 7-zip has over it.

Bejesus
June 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
WinRAR. I do have 7zip portable on my pen drive, as it has a few extra features as far as i know, like no nagging to purchase it everytime you open it, and you can encrypt and password protect files (i really don't know if WinRaR can do this aswell). WinRAR is just there installed on my PC and does and has done what it needs to be done.

Gerri Shin
June 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Stuffit that's my preference. I use in both the Windows VM and on my Mac.

Archer
June 28th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Okay, thanks for your input. I'll look into the suggestions and probably stay with 7-zip.

Also, I asked for Windows for a reason => sad face.

The default Gnome client is fine, and I don't have a Mac.

Eon-Rider
June 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I've personally always used WinRAR but 7-zip actually compresses files smaller if you're the kind of person who does a lot of file sharing.

Zanny77
June 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM
WinRAR = WinRAR
Stuffit Expander = WinRAR for MAC.

Yuoaman
June 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
WinRAR is the best, though I am using jZip right now... 'cause it came with the computer...

The Exorcist
July 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm using jZip, I also used IZArc. They're both freeware [aka free].

Camisado
July 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM
WinRAR = WinRAR
Stuffit Expander = WinRAR for MAC.
Stuffit Expander isn't related to WinRar at all D:

Bianca Paragon
July 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
Stuffit Expander isn't related to WinRar at all D:
Srsly.
Besides, The Unarchiver > Every other, for Mac. Shell-integration for all formats imaginable; works just like the built in finder zip handler. It's so seamless <3

Penguin13
July 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Why would you even need to ask this question? WinRAR is free, easy to use, lightweight, and customizable.

Bianca Paragon
July 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Why would you even need to ask this question? WinRAR is free, easy to use, lightweight, and customizable.
No. It's shareware. It's not free.

viridian doubletongue
July 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
I've been using a trial version of winRAR for years. everytime i open it it reminds me that it's a 40 day trial, and i just ignore it and carry on.

twocows
July 2nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I don't understand why you dislike 7-zip. It's small, fast, and once you set file associations in the options menu, it's easy to use. Even WinRAR isn't as fast when it comes to unpacking archives. The only problem I've ever had with 7-zip is that it doesn't properly display RAR comments.

Also, for those saying WinRAR, it costs $29 if you want to use it legally past 40 days. Another thing 7-zip has over it.

I've been using a trial version of winRAR for years. everytime i open it it reminds me that it's a 40 day trial, and i just ignore it and carry on.
Just because it lets you continue using it doesn't mean you're legally allowed to. The license is for a 40 day evaluation; after that, you are required to buy it if you're going to continue using it on a regular basis. It's in the license agreement included with the software:

2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days. Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license.

.little monster
July 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
WinRar is by far the best, in my opnion. It's free, it's small, it's quick, it's effective. Best.