PDA

View Full Version : How to Trade/Battle Pokemon over Wifi (FR/LG/R/S/E)

DarkPrince304
July 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hello there Guys
Its me DarkPrince
This is my very first Tutorial here on PokeCommunity
I don't know if anyone knows how to do it but in this Tutorial I will teach you how trade/battle wirelessly with each other using Emulators.

Things you will Need:
VBALink (Visual Boy Advance with Wireless Connectiviy)
Link:http://www.vbalink.info/download/vbalink180b0.zip

A Pokemon Game ROM( I will use Fire Red)
Link:Google it

A Net Connection

A Fast Computer(Sometimes while trading/battling your emulator can become slow)

Process
-Open VBALink
-Don't open the game
-Go to Options->Emulators->Save Type->Put a Tick on Flash 128k
-Go to Options->Emulators->Put a Tick on Pause when inactive window
-Then Go to Options->Link->Put a tick on Wireless Adapter
-Then ask your friend to do the same
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Network not Single Computer(Single Computer if you want to trade with yourself :P)
-Then Again go to Options->Link->Settings->Server->Press Start
-You will see an IP Address in a box(Don't close the box till you are connected)
-Tell your friend to go to Options->Link->Settings->Client->And erase the word "localhost"
-Tell your friend the IP Address you see and write the IP Address where "localhost" was written and press Connect
-Both of you will be connected then :D
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady
-Choose Trade Pokemon/Battle or whatever
-Happy Trading/Battling

And if you want to trade with yourself then(Fast Speed)
-Open 2 VBALinks
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Single Computer
-Open a same ROM in both VBALinks
-Now put the Pokemon you want to trade on top of your party(I will put a Weak Pokemon like rattata in 1 VBALink and a Kadabra in other VBALink)
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady(those IP Stuff is not for single computer)
-Choose Trade Pokemon
-Both VBALink will be having same keys btw(just telling)
-Trade over your Kadabra to 1st VBALink and rattata to the other
-Then Kadabra will evolve into Alakazam
-Save your game with your Alakazam(Beware always use a weak Pokemon as my Rattata is lost forever XDD that's why i choose a weak pokemon)

You can use the same way to battle with yourself too XDD
So here's the way to get evolutions like Alakazam,Gengar,Machamp
It really works :D

I traded a Pokemon with my friend who lives in other country(It works)

Keith5920
July 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I am trying to do this but it is taking a very long time to connect between the VBAs..is that normal?

EDIT: After waiting a long time, the "OK" was sent but then one of my VBAs got a communication error.

DarkPrince304
July 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
If you are using Single Computer the process will be fast
Listen first make one VBA do the Make Leader thing and then make the other one connect by choosing join group<---This correct order
Try closing VBALink then do it again
It won't be slow in a single computer

Sleepwalker
July 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Wow. This seems useful for completing my pokedex. And it works! Good job!

Keith5920
July 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I got it to work now. It was because I didnt uncheck the pause when inactive option. Thanks man!

derozio
July 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't knew that Vba has wi-fi capabilities! I'll try it as soon as I finish my platinum game. Thank you very much!

DarkPrince304
July 9th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys
If you have any queries just ask ;)

Matteron (96)
July 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
This could be useful for hacks...so people don't have to change the trade evos

DarkPrince304
July 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks
And one more thing that you don't have to reach the edited evolution level so you can evolve a kadabra for example as soon it becomes a kadabra from an abra :D lol

phxeli
August 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Anybody wanna mix records and/or trade/battle

Outbreak
August 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
It doesn't working for me(single computer)...i followed the instructions step by step but it gives me a comunications error at the emulator. pls help:(

DarkPrince304
August 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Are you sure you unticked Pause When Inactive Window

Outbreak
August 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM
It works now thanks...

SiegHart
August 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
hm i might try this, im currently using tgp but i prefer vba by far, thanks for this tut ^_^

jadored
August 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Omg!
This was very helpful.
I knew you could trade with yourself but I didn't think you could trade with other people.
Thanks!

tuliazo
August 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Sounds great, unfortunately i'm not playing pokemon on my computer right now

Redrup
August 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's my first query on this forum!

Anyway, what I am wondering is, I tried to trade with myself using Leaf Green and Emerald versions, to trade my Bulbasaur from Leaf Green > Emerald, however despite the connection working, it said they are not accepting trades from far away regions just yet.

Any idea why this is occurring? Is it because I have only just started on both games, and therefore haven't got the National Pokedex unlocked?

Let me know if you think you have an answer. Thanks in advance guys.

DarkPrince304
September 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
^ That is not a problem
There's a quest in Leaf Green in Sevii Islands...You have to bring the Ruby and Sapphire stones to Celia(Bill's Bro.)...That will allow you to trade with R/S/E

Redrup
September 3rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
Thank you very much for the info, DarkPrince. :)

Much obliged.

Ninetales
September 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
*sigh* Too bad this doesn't work with DPPt... currently the only way I can get Alakazam and other trade Pokemon there is by using Pokesav, and even then it doesn't do that quite right.

LittleMissC
October 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
The first few tries it didnt work.
Then I clicked something, which was so stupid of me not to take down and it suddenly worked!
Then when I tried it again it didn't want to work again :((

BTW. Would this still work if I used 2 different ROMs? Like Sapphire to Emerald?

tintin_92
October 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Nah, never worked for me over the internet, just using one computer, and using local lan. Here's ANOTHER advantage of it: cloning! Make a VBA save (not an in-game save), trade over a good pokemon for a useless one, and restore the original save file!

Pryce G
October 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Every time i enter the Union Room or choose Join Group, it always resets for no reason and it keeps happening all the time. Can you help me out DarkPrince?

mervyn797
October 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM
id rather use no$gba
i donno i keep getting a disconnection error during battles :/

PokeForce
October 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I went to Options and I couldn't find the Link menu.

hi fi wi fi
October 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks !!! btw nice guide for your first really helped me

mustyoshi
November 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Its not working for me and my friend, it kept giving me a 192.168 IP for the server... And I think thats my local IP not my computer IP.

e_pott
April 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone & thanks for the awesome tutorial it works like a charm! i was curious. Does anyone know if its possible to use this process to trade/battle through wifi but on the iPhone? either through vba or gpsphone? if possible PLEEEEEAAAASSE HALP! thanks again

Kiko94
February 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Awesome tut man ! damn looking forward to testing out my team, anybody interested in battling trading give me a pm, we can talk more then :)

gear2
February 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks man i never thought it was possible.

Dado1109
September 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I cant trade!! D= i connected to another computer!! but the lady in the game doesnt let me in!! D= plzzzzz help me! what should i do???

I cant trade/battle!! D= i connected to another computer! but when i talk to the lady! she doesnt let me in!! D= help meeee plzzzz!! D=

Ponester
November 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone wants to trade or battle like this in gen 3?

ElementChaoz
December 10th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hello, I have a VBA but i don't see a "Link" in my "Options" i don't think i have the right VBA for this, cause i would like to trade with myself to get different pokemon and evolve pokemon also

oh, nm, i downloaded the VBA from your link you made from your 1st post, i got a "Link" in my "Options" i got it ^_^

rocky4got10
December 11th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Hey! I finally found someone who still plays Leaf Green and Fire Red :D

My question is: do you know any community where we can battle and trade online in the way described in this thread?
And if it doesn't exist, would you like to help me in creating it?

Ponester
December 24th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hey! I finally found someone who still plays Leaf Green and Fire Red :D

My question is: do you know any community where we can battle and trade online in the way described in this thread?
And if it doesn't exist, would you like to help me in creating it?

If it's me your talking about, I don't think there is one, but I would be glad to help in creating a server or something on the line of a Virtual Linking System or like that, where people that play pokemon on a VBA console could speak, trade and battle with each other.
So if any of these arguments fit your liking, sir, I would be more than happy to help you create a good community for VBA users. PM me in any case.

EDIT: If you also might like, I would love to trade or battle with you, I don't cheat and level up, I just catch mostly, but if you would love I would have a level 50 battle with you! And trade too.

rocky4got10
January 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM
If it's me your talking about, I don't think there is one, but I would be glad to help in creating a server or something on the line of a Virtual Linking System or like that, where people that play pokemon on a VBA console could speak, trade and battle with each other.
So if any of these arguments fit your liking, sir, I would be more than happy to help you create a good community for VBA users. PM me in any case.

EDIT: If you also might like, I would love to trade or battle with you, I don't cheat and level up, I just catch mostly, but if you would love I would have a level 50 battle with you! And trade too.

Ok, I'll send you a pm. Anyway, in the "Emulation" section there is a thread about building a community like this (I can't post it cause I'm a newbie, but you can find it easily!).

schmeo
January 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
hey guys
is there any possibility to change pokemon with an emulator, knowing i play the RED Version (First Generation)
i guess not, would be brilliant though

thank you

rocky4got10
January 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM
hey guys
is there any possibility to change pokemon with an emulator, knowing i play the RED Version (First Generation)
i guess not, would be brilliant though

thank you

Exchanging pokémon is very easy if you play an emulator called VBA Link.

Does someone know how to link THREE emulators? :(

schmeo
January 13th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Exchanging pokémon is very easy if you play an emulator called VBA Link.

Does someone know how to link THREE emulators? :(

But does this also work for the red Version, 1st Generation, First Generation Gameboy Game?
WiFi didn't even exist then
would be awesome

Galm
January 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hi, new here -

I was wondering if it is by now possible to trade/transfer from GBA to DS (which would be Emerald to Diamond/Pearl I believe?) by Emulator or other means of save file usage? I've been googling about but only find tons stuff concerning gba-to-gba, and that gba to DS isn't possible, but all the decent results I find are several years old.

I've been using VBAlink to trade with myself in LeafGreen, while actually playing on a DSTwo flash card.

rocky4got10
January 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM
But does this also work for the red Version, 1st Generation, First Generation Gameboy Game?
WiFi didn't even exist then
would be awesome

Now I remember that I used another emulator for exchanges in 1st gen. I don't remember its name, but it was ONLY for game boy color games!

jjmp1994
February 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I cant trade!! D= i connected to another computer!! but the lady in the game doesnt let me in!! D= plzzzzz help me! what should i do???

I cant trade/battle!! D= i connected to another computer! but when i talk to the lady! she doesnt let me in!! D= help meeee plzzzz!! D=
I have the same problem. It connects properly, and it says we're connected, but it just keeps saying "your friend isn't ready" whenever I talk to nurse joy. My friends and I are playing Pokemon Crystal. I can't get it to work just on a single computer either. Is there something we're doing wrong?

Edit: We've tried other games as well, and those are having similar problems. Do we have the wrong version or is there something else we also need? We used the download link provided at the start of this thread.

AquaSky
April 21st, 2013, 07:23 AM
thank you very much! i googled this! and creted account to thank you!

RaichuRosenow
May 7th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Hey question, does this only work on the GBA versions? cause i can't seem to get it to work on GB/GBC versions.

joexv
May 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Cool. Now I can finish the poked ex on emerald!!!!!!

p0kem0nmaster55
September 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
pokeforce go to the link that he has to download the vba and download the vba he has I had the same problem you did.

and hey can someone tell me can you only trade and battle locally or can you trade and battle just with anyone in the world?

download the vba link that the guy who made this post has and that vba should have a link option, I had the same problem you did.

Gameday
September 15th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Does this also work with R/B/Y G/S/C ???

BioDice
September 20th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I am trying to trade on the same computer between pokemon gold and pokemon red but it says on red that it is only supposed for 2 friends linked togheter and on gold it says your friend is not ready. I followed the steps in the tutorial. Is it possible it wont work between the two?

Dijkztra
October 10th, 2013, 06:31 AM
For Gen1/2 use TGB dual

Remember to change the
Option > Mode

use GB for Gen 1 and GBC for Gen 2

it can emulate GBA but can't link

Wickedtrainer
October 28th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I am using myboy on my phone. Wondering anybody else using this you can do wifi battles and even bluetooth but im interested in wifi. Thanks

magolor
October 28th, 2013, 03:51 PM
This may have been explained already, but I've been meaning to ask...
I have a shiny Pokemon on an emulated Fire Red, using my VBA; would there be any chance that I could somehow transfer it to an actual, physical game cartridge? I own Leaf Green, and a wireless GBA adapter.
Thank you in advance!

KuroSeka
November 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
cant find the menu tooo
makes me sad ,_ ,

RoboMan2010
November 9th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I thought there used to be a patch for the emulator so you didn't need to do all this?

evanescence
November 10th, 2013, 08:44 AM
When i tried doing it from he same computer it says
Communication Error
Please check all connections
Then turn Power off and on.

PROF. POKEPAL
December 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I am using myboy on my phone. Wondering anybody else using this you can do wifi battles and even bluetooth but im interested in wifi. Thanks

Are you saying myboy lets you battle online? How about trading? I use GBC A.D. on my phone but I can't do any of that. If myboy really works I just might switch

roshu
December 10th, 2013, 01:09 AM

i don't think its possible