PDA

View Full Version : Health:Should i be concerned?

Pink Twilight
July 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
like 2 years ago i was playing in my backyard and i didnt have any shoes on and when i came up on my deck i looked at my feet to put my shoes on and then i saw a very tiny yellow worm crawl and dig its way through my skin in my foot. so now its in me and i dont know how many is in me. i dont know if i should be worried or concerned or what not. i dont know anything about worms but one crawling in my foot doesnt sound all that great.

aipom man
July 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
um i dont know what to say but i would like have a heart attack if i saw a worm crawl into my foot

WhyDoUKnow
July 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I would been concerned as soon as the worm got into my skin. Waiting two years to do something about it seems a bit reckless. If nothing has happened yet it may have left your system but you should still get it checked out by someone.

geminine-is-here
July 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
not really if it has been 2years if u feel pain thats all

PsychoJigglypuff
July 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You should probably go to the doctor's office. If you've had it in you for two years and are only worrying about it now, it probably didn't do too much. But, I would try to get it removed if it was still in there. I don't enjoy the thought of a parasite in my body. >.<

XxDawnfanxX
July 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
A doctor visit couldn't hurt. I am surprised you weren't scared before right when you saw it digging into your foot. I'd be flipping out right there and then. Go get it checked out, see what the doctor says. That way, you can be relieved to know it's nothing or to know something is up and they may be able to help you.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'd definitely suggest seeing a doctor over this, even if it's been a few years.

Some nematodes (parasitic worms) can enter through the soles of your feet - in the larval stage, anyway.

Even though you might not be showing any obvious symptoms, to be on the safe side, I'd go have it checked out to be safe, since any kind of parasite roaming around in your body is never really a good thing (certainly not something you'd want in your digestive tract, at the very least.)

Either way, I'd suggest never walking around outside barefoot, not only for this reason, but for many others as well - stepping on glass, other debris. =/

Best of luck, and if you get checked out, I'm interested in what they say about it.

Ausaudriel
July 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
......... ewwwwww. :|||||

I so regret viewing this thread.

Aurafire
July 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Get it checked out...Chances are you're fine since you've gone a few years without noticing anything wrong, but there's nothing good about a worm crawling into your foot O___O

Doctors can usually test for that kind of stuff anyway \o/

Hiroshi Sotomura
July 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM

I do too - I feel like my stomach just sank.

To the OP, go to the doctor's, please. (It's disgusting, let's admit, and it certainly can't be healthy.)

ChronicEdge
July 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
What the **** is wrong with you?! Who waits 52 fortnights to inquire about a small carnivorous creature that has taken up residence inside of their body?!

Why do you even have to ask us about this?! Better yet, why are you wasting time on the internet when a parisitic creature may be reproducing inside of your intestines?!

geminine-is-here
July 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
do u not think the worn would have done somthing 2 u by now i think its just left ur body

Ursula
July 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
*faint*

If that ever happened to me, I would have had it out like within the next hour.
that is horrifying.
Have it checked out ASAP, dude. D:

Ugh, that's like ~*~my worst nightmare~*~

x_x;

ChronicEdge
July 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
*faint*

If that ever happened to me, I would have had it out like within the next hour.
that is horrifying.
Have it checked out ASAP, dude. D:

Ugh, that's like ~*~my worst nightmare~*~

x_x;

Agreed!

This is here so that my post will be long enough.

abnegation
July 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Your statement is primary! *Regret Much*

But yes 2 years ago? You should have most definately have gone to the doctor...
I don't even know how that was possible... But if it's been 2 years and you've had no side effects you're not in serious trouble...
But visit your GP!

Miss Soupy
July 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Didn't you tell your guardian? Anyone? Or did you keep it to yourself?

And what makes you concerned now, or is there no real reason? Are you having any pain or something, since it was two years ago and just now you're worried. I suggest you tell your guardian and schedule an appointment with a doctor, or bring it up at your next next doctor's appointment if it's pretty soon. You may not be experiencing symptoms NOW, but it could lead to problems in the future if you let it be. Just stay on the safe side and get a doctor to see if this little bugger decided to make a home of you.

But really. Are you having any symptoms that led you to thinking back about the worm? Two years is a pretty long time to start thinking about it again. ;A;

Camisado
July 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Flipping heck. May I echo everyone else's comments in here by saying yes, go to the doctor?

Firstly, why would you wait two years, and why do people ask for medical advice on Pokémon boards? Surely, if you're concerned enough to ask, you are concerned enough to see your GP =|

Yuoaman
July 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Two years!? I wouldn't have waited two minutes before rushing to the doctor! So, yes, definately go to the doctor!

Whoa...

Kyain
July 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
):
*pukes*
But seriously, why wait two years......thats a long time.....
I think whatever is in you must've of have give you paranoia xD
edit: GO TO THE F***IN DOCTOR!

Mariah Carey
July 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww go to the doctor and get it removed if it's still there.

*hylian*sakura*
July 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Two years later and nothing wrong??
I'm guessing it was either your imagination (NO, I'm not saying you're crazy or anything >,<) or it died or something. LOL.
I wouldn't be concerned. As long as you're not in pain or sick you're likely alright.
If you get too paranoid, that's not good for your health anyway.

Alex_
July 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Let's go on a Pokemon Forum for health advice.

Good idea.

Edit: Lucky for you I looked it up. This is called the Death Worm. You'll die soon.

Edit 2: I found a pic. This is what the Death Worm looks like once full grown. http://www.onlineherna.com/1herna/root/Image/DeathWorm.jpg This should be coming back out of your foot soon, be cautious.

>Feelings<
July 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
If it's very tiny, and yellow, and likes to 'seemingly' get inside skin, then it is likely to be babies of a type of housefly.

Well, since it has been two years, you probably don't need to worry anymore, but for the sake of reassurance, you should visit a doctor.

Blue Mew
July 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Let's go on a Pokemon Forum for health advice.

Good idea.

Edit: Lucky for you I looked it up. This is called the Death Worm. You'll die soon.

Edit 2: I found a pic. This is what the Death Worm looks like once full grown. http://www.onlineherna.com/1herna/root/Image/DeathWorm.jpg This should be coming back out of your foot soon, be cautious.

Ew! Please tell me your exaggerating! But I don't really think that's true, in my opinion, that more sounds like something from an action cartoon or somewhat. The "Death worm" Looks more like a dinosaur.

Alex_
July 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Ew! Please tell me your exaggerating! But I don't really think that's true, in my opinion, that more sounds like something from an action cartoon or somewhat. The "Death worm" Looks more like a dinosaur.
Nope. Everything I said was completely fact.

deathrider24
July 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
You might want to check it out and visit a doctor if it really worries you but if you had no trouble with it then I think you might be ok.

dc_united
July 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Ha! Someone who's never seen a Tremors movie!

Anyway, if it's been in you for two years, it's gone.

I still recommend going to the doctor, because if it's a hookworm (or ringworm, I always get them confused), it will breed, clog up your intestines, and eat anything you shove down your throat.

But it's probably dead, if you had no trouble

Captain Fabio
July 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Yes. You should.
You could die [/sarcasm]

Cassino
July 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
If it wants to live inside you, and has never caused any trouble, why the hell not just let it? Not to mention it is obviously dead by now.

daigonite
July 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Well, you're not me...

...but if a little worm digs into my foot, I'll let my parents know, who would, in turn, let my doctor know, so he could poke it out. In the meantime, I would pull out a small pin and stab it.

Why did you wait... TWO YEARS O.O

wakachamo
July 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Nope. Everything I said was completely fact.

Trust me. This guy knows what he's talking about.

In any case, I think you should be concerned with more of a psychological problem that you might have, seeing as you asked a Pokémon forum instead of going to a doctor and get a professional opinion.

Benadryl
July 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
That's just plain disgusting. I'm more concerned that you were able to go two years thinking about it but not having it examined / removed. Most normal people I know would have gone to the doctor that day.

Pink Twilight
July 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well this is the other chat section so why not ask here. And besides, i need help but i cant go to the docs until i actually NEED to. we arent what u would call rich at the moment.

.little monster
July 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Well this is the other chat section so why not ask here. And besides, i need help but i cant go to the docs until i actually NEED to. we arent what u would call rich at the moment.
Seeing as how you could have a dormant parasite growing and multiplying inside of you which kills if left untreated..I would say that is NEEDING to go to the doctor. :| Parasites are bad and are emergencies. And there aren't a lot of bugs that like to live inside people..

But it would also help knowing what kind of climate you're in so it would be easier to say to go or not to go.

ShadowLeader
July 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
If I were you I would have seen a doctor then...but if you haven't had any problems since...I don't think anything is wrong. But get checked jsut to be sure.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
There are some over-the-counter remedies for intestinal parasites, but the problem is, we're not sure what the OP has, which is all the more reason to seek professional help about this. =|

Seriously, intestinal parasites aren't something you want to mess with. I know it's been two years, but it's really best if you get it checked out anyway just to be sure.

Tyrantrum
July 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Ew...

Seriously. If I saw the mother effer even go near my foot, I'd kill it, or go into the house ASAP.
Seriously, goto the doctor's before it actually might start doing something to you.

Anxiety.
July 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I doubt it's anything to worry about.
But for peace of mind, I would go to the doctors.

Neko64
July 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I would've been very concerned when I first saw it happen. O--o; You should go to the doctor's and ask him/her about it; maybe he/she can tell if they're still in there or not, and get them out for you if they are..

Route 18
July 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
What the hell are you waiting for then? If you haven't seen a doctor as soon as it happened, why on Earth are you mentioning it right now? When something actually happens to you, like you contracting some kind of infection, then you should see a doctor. But parasites that enter the skin like that usually don't live very long and also have very annoying symptoms. If you haven't felt a thing up until now, I think it died out.

Gumball Watterson
July 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM

What is so wrong about worms getting into your foot?...
Meh, check with a doctor, but I don't think it'll kill ya.

Route 18
July 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Ha! Someone who's never seen a Tremors movie!

Anyway, if it's been in you for two years, it's gone.

I still recommend going to the doctor, because if it's a hookworm (or ringworm, I always get them confused), it will breed, clog up your intestines, and eat anything you shove down your throat.

But it's probably dead, if you had no trouble

Hookworms don't enter your body through your foot. :|
And ringworm is just a type of fungal infection that gives you ring-like patterns on your foot. None of them can enter your body like...that.

Shem
July 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
10th grade biology teacher's insane obsession with flat and round worms finally pays off, we went way too far into detail on parasitic worms.

Sounds like a hookworm to me! You should go to the doctor to get tested.

It's a parasite that burrows through your foot, feeds off your blood and reproduces within you. Eggs exit with your solid wastes. A heavy infection can lead to serious problems, even death and with two years inside you, it could be dangerous but I'm not a doctor so i wouldn't know for sure but that's my opinion.

To avoid getting them, simply wear you're shoes in when in grassy areas, however these don't live in cooler climates, but I don't know where their northern boundary is in north America, all I know is that they aren't here in Minnesota! According to wiki, there is also a species in Europe that enters the body through the mouth.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Hookworms don't enter your body through your foot. :|
And ringworm is just a type of fungal infection that gives you ring-like patterns on your foot. None of them can enter your body like...that.

Actually, roundworm and hookworm larvae (along with blood flukes) can burrow through the soles of your feet, or just skin in general - the feet are the most likely though, since they're coming into contact with the ground and soil, which is where these sorts of things thrive. Even the eggs can be absorbed through your skin like this. =/

Either way, the OP should go get a proper diagnosis - most people with hookworm infections are asymtomatic, which is a problem, since a lot of people probably don't even realize they're infected.

Greene1516
July 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Geez grandma, no offense but even Jacqueline Wilson could make up a better story than you could. I mean anybody who knows anything knows that worms don't have teeth and wouldn't have even near the strength to just dig through your skin sense they move matter by passing it throught their bodies. Which would mean to dig into your foot it would have had to eat the flesh from your foot and pass it back out onto the very ground you were standing on leaving a gaping hole in your foot; it is not possible for such a thing to happen. Call me a know it all, but it is so annoying to see such stupid threads made for attention purposes. Nothing personal, just it had to be said.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Geez grandma, no offense but even Jacqueline Wilson could make up a better story than you could. I mean anybody who knows anything knows that worms don't have teeth and wouldn't have even near the strength to just dig through your skin sense they move matter by passing it throught their bodies. Which would mean to dig into your foot it would have had to eat the flesh from your foot and pass it back out onto the very ground you were standing on leaving a gaping hole in your foot; it is not possible for such a thing to happen. Call me a know it all, but it is so annoying to see such stupid threads made for attention purposes. Nothing personal, just it had to be said.

Whether or not the OP is lying or not is another question, but I'll say it again: there are parasitic worms (not earthworms, for any measure), that can burrow through the skin.

Also, as an FYI - Yes, they do have teeth - you know, not only for burrowing, but to cling to intestinal walls.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/lineaalba/Hookworm.jpg

Greene1516
July 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
She wouldn't be able to see a parasitic worm burrow into her foot due to the small size. Also, you don't really find parasites in the garden while you play, as much as the great House tells us otherwise.

The Amazing Scizor
July 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
She wouldn't be able to see a parasitic worm burrow into her foot due to the small size. Also, you don't really find parasites in the garden while you play, as much as the great House tells us otherwise.

Maggots look very much like worms (though of course they are fly larvae), and they can be seen doing such things. See the bot fly.

Not to mention there are many, many parasites that could be found in a normal garden. I don't just mean exoparasites, either, though there are certainly enough of those.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Whereas that may be true for the OP (I'm not contesting if they're lying or not), Guinea worms, and other intestinal worms are large enough to be seen.

Also, for the prevalence of garden parasites, it depends on where the OP is living, if another animal (whether it was a pet, or wild one) had soiled the area more recently, etc - there are a number of factors in this, many of which we don't know.

Greene1516
July 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Maggots feast on dead flesh.

And the thing about intestinal worms is that they don't enter through the flesh of your foot nor do they come from a garden. The guinea worm is only found in the rivers of African countries and enters the body by swimming up a persons urine by which they can only really get it by pissing in the damn river. Other intestinal worms come from foods, but they do not live in your garden and decide to eat into your foot. And please think before posting again, if an intestinal worm were to try enter through the flesh of the foot it would have to eat its way through the leg muscles to reach the intestine, and from what I read, she hasn't complained of her leg falling off.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I know about how the Guinea worm enters the body - I was just citing an obvious example that yes, a parasitic worm is capable of burrowing through flesh, since you claimed a few posts up that it isn't possible.

I think you really missed the part where I said I wasn't contesting if the OP was being truthful or not - I'm just talking about parasites, now.

Many immature parasitic worms can burrow through the skin. As far as them not being in a garden, you're incorrect about that. Immature parasitic worms live in SOIL, and are often deposited by feces of an infected host. Yes, you can get intestinal parasites from eating contaminated food, but that isn't the only way.

The Amazing Scizor
July 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Maggots feast on dead flesh.

I said 'see the bot fly'. The bot fly is native to many parts of the world (can even be found in North America) and the maggots burrow through the skin and eat living flesh. They have mostly been destroyed in first-world countries, but can still appear. They're mostly a problem for livestock, but them getting into humans is quite well-documented and dangerous. Oh, by the way - they're entirely capable of going from an extremity to the trunk, even into the heart.

And the thing about intestinal worms is that they don't enter through the flesh of your foot nor do they come from a garden. The guinea worm is only found in the rivers of African countries and enters the body by swimming up a persons urine by which they can only really get it by pissing in the damn river. Other intestinal worms come from foods, but they do not live in your garden and decide to eat into your foot. And please think before posting again, if an intestinal worm were to try enter through the flesh of the foot it would have to eat its way through the leg muscles to reach the intestine, and from what I read, she hasn't complained of her leg falling off.

You're being extremely rude when it's already been shown you're not entirely correct. You're also making a straw-man attack on Gizamimi; she did not say that intestinal parasites would enter through the foot.

Perhaps you ought to try being more polite? At the very least you could acknowledge that you were incorrect about parasitic worms being too small to be seen.

Intestinal worms don't enter through the foot, but those were merely being used as an example to show that worms can have teeth.

Greene1516
July 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Guys I'm not going to argue. I'm in medical so I know what I am talking about, and can say with 100% certainty that this thread is a sham.

Gizamimi Pichu
July 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Guys I'm not going to argue. I'm in medical so I know what I am talking about, and can say with 100% certainty that this thread is a sham.

Yes, well, that may be true, but it is my field as well, and I'll repeat myself again - in the above, I wasn't contesting whether or not the OP was lying or not.

TheHolyPeep
July 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Sir, the CDC disagrees with you:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/hookworm/factsht_hookworm.htm

Jaimes
July 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
like 2 years ago i was playing in my backyard and i didnt have any shoes on and when i came up on my deck i looked at my feet to put my shoes on and then i saw a very tiny yellow worm crawl and dig its way through my skin in my foot. so now its in me and i dont know how many is in me. i dont know if i should be worried or concerned or what not. i dont know anything about worms but one crawling in my foot doesnt sound all that great.

No offence, but if you're questioning whether a worm entering into your foot is normal or not then you can't be too smart.

You're in medical? For someone who seems pretty sure of themselves, a good number of your erroneous posts in this thread could be shot down easily.

ALC_Allstar
July 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Well if you want my opinion I think you should get it checked out straight away. Its better safe than sorry. I watched this show on animal planet and it was called "Monsters Inside Me". It was scary and gross. The worm ate its way through the persons body and he nearly died from it. Get it check ASAP.

Blazers
July 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
have you had any weird pains at all or sudden sharp pains?
has it felt like anything is "inside" of you?
If not dont be concerned it was two years ago im sure the acids in your body got rid of it.

Lucy Lu
July 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah you really needed to get it checked out with a doctor immediately! You should have done that when you noticed that they got into your skin. Don't wait two years later. What would happen if the worms were poisonous? Which they are not, I am just saying. It is a serious thing and it needs to be taken care of as soon as possible! But since you waited two years later and you are still here, I guess maybe the worms weren't a threat. But still if that happened to me, I would have gone to a doctor.