PDA

View Full Version : Is your 'Online' Personality different to IRL?

abnegation
July 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
So how does your Online personality differ from your real life one?

.little monster
July 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, I am much more of a jerk online.

Edit: I also have speech problems aswell. I cant explain very well, I can on the internet, texting, anything like that but when I speak it, it becomes all jumbled. One time I forgot the word 'thing'. I was saying "pers..hous..apa.." words like that until I actually said the word "thing" :|

Alistair
July 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Mine does, but only slightly. I am a bit more tolerant of others' BS on the net. But other than that, I am basically myself.

I don't really know if this counts as a personality thing, but I also have some speech problems (like stuttering) in real life.

Katalyst
July 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
A little bit, I'd say. I'm a lot more shy IRL than online. Nothing else, I guess.

Gummy
July 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Not by much, but I tend to speak my mind more online than I do in real life.

Metatron
July 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Not at all. I'm the exact same person online as I am in "Real-life."

:D

ShadowLeader
July 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah. I'm quicker to get angry online, because it's harder to understand the actually intent of a comment without seeing the person's body language as well.

And in real life, I would hit you, not tell you you are wrong.

Mika
July 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
People tend to let their guard down online because it's easier to do online, there isn't the threat always of real life consequences and what not. When people don't feel as though they have to hide or hold back, they sometimes reveal parts of themselves they wouldn't show in the real world. :3

Azonic
July 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Mmm... its pretty much the same. Not that good with new people at first, but when I'm with my friends I can't stop talking. Really playful in both IRL and online, if that's what you call it.

TRIFORCE89
July 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not putting on an act or playing a character so to speak, if that's what you meant. I'm the same me online and offline. Just...

A little more free online. The illusion of being protected by the screen and just feeling more comfortable communicating through type to people I don't know than a face-to-face meeting lets me be a little more open than I normally would.

Gold warehouse
July 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I talk about violence and gore IRL a lot more often. Otherwise I am pretty much exactly the same.

Yamikarasu
July 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Probably, just without all the vulgarity an innuendos.

Citrinin
July 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'm a bit more shy IRL, and also being online allows me not to have to experience tip of the tongue syndrome. XD;

Lash
July 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm shyer in real life, and I have some speech troubles in real life. I forget to speak when I should, and I stutter every now and then from lack of constant talking.

Despite this, when it comes to talking with friends I know in real life on twitter, myspace, or text message, I'm the same way I am online; open, talkative, and probably more humorous then I normally am.

Saltare.
July 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I speak my mind more online. But IRL, I'm quiet...hehe

Nevertheless, I am crazy and random.

Vrai
July 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I talk louder online. >:D

No, really, I just tend to.. speak my mind more, when I can type out what I want to say, and make sure I want to say it. I also tend to make friends easier, because my brain just doesn't think fast enough to think of a witty reply, when online I can give it a couple extra seconds. I'm sure this would apply to texting, too, but I'm too poor to have a cellphone. ;_;

Limey-chan
July 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I'm quieter in real life. Not that i'm exactly extrovert online but y'know.

Xairmo
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I think I hold back in real life more than I do on PC. I mean if I insult someone on here, what're they gonna do? They don't know who I am, they can't hurt me. But in the real world you have to have a filter because you never know how someone might react.

tonyar109
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
A little bit too. i am silent in real life.

Ayselipera
July 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I'm more spontaneous and I speak my mind more.
Which I think makes me seem like a jerk since you can't hear the tone of my voice and you can end up taking what I say either way.

The Girl from the Well
July 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I guess I am. I was having a voice chat through D/P with my friend, and he said that I acted differently from online. I'm probably more shy and anti-social in real life than on the computer. Though, I already do act pretty shy around here. XP

Second Coming of Jebus
July 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm probably the same. Just even more awesome.

Shem
July 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
the only real difference between internet and my real life is that I'm less worried about embarassing myself online, although I still try not to.

I really tried being a different person online, but then I said, "Bah screw it, it's way easier to just be me"

I know, it's a corny line you'd see on some teen drama show but I don't care, It's true, I'm too lazy to make a new personality XD

jasonresno
July 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I feel much more....free...online I think. Not in the obvious sense but in that my real life is dictated so much by obligations and oppressive people and online I choose who I want to be with and that's the final decision. Online what I say, in my online life, is what goes.

I really appreciate it.

Levant
July 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
my personality is very different IRL than online

IRL i'm usually afraid to express opinions which means i'm timid...so i stutter alot

online i can say w/e i want and not be afraid

ANARCHit3cht
July 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, I am lot more myself, because I honestly will never meet any of you in real life so, yeah.

EpsilonE
July 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
More, per say, intelligent. Sometimes intolerant and rude irl, but on the internet I'm always ready to snap at stupidity.

Camisado
July 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I'm not much different to be honest, I just feel more inclined to speak my mind online ;D so I might say things here that I wouldn't say to people in person, but I am glad that I can say what I think.

I'm getting better at it in real life particularly after working on our IT Service Desk =<

Turke
July 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yep, I'd say that I'm way more shy in real life than online.

Anxiety.
July 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Heh. Maybe.
I've decided, since I can change my personality if I want, and none of you know me in real life, I may as well make myself seem nicer. Or not as nice.
I guess you wont know.
Life is so much better when you can make people wonder.

s0nido
July 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I think of comebacks so much faster online than I do IRL. I mean, these kids were trying to bag me over Facebook. They usually do that at school and I'm lost for words. That time though, I owned them :D

I'm also more of a jerk online and act a bit older than my age.

Alinthea
July 8th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Ehhh. I am the same.
I can be a jerk, but I am a nice person really.

FlyingSquirrel
July 8th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Im exactly the opposite in real life.
Im not as sweet and kind on the internet than in real life...

OokamiShipper
July 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
You could say, I'm nicer online. Yes, it's true.
And online, I'm probably a little bit more...loopy in the head. xD
I think I'm calmer IRL...
But other than those, I'm pretty much the same.

Giraffles <3
July 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I believe that i'm less quirky on the internet, but that's only because I have a harder time showing my quirks on the web :3.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm more of a talker offline then I am online. I'm also more of a jerk offline as well, if we were able to cuss on this forum then trust me for most of my post/threads would have cuss words in it

:t354:TG

Vyro
July 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Nope. I'm not really that different... like the above poster, I am more of a jerk though...

Michii
July 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
When it comes to general personality, my online and offline are almost exactly the same. I speak almost exactly how I type, though I have a more extensive vocabulary offline. I have the same hyper personality online and off, and the same views. Differences are in maturity though. Online, I make much more mature decisions than offline. I'd say it's because my time to react to people's actions and ability to not act on impulse.

Soul Eater
July 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Oh yes, very different. Offline I act like a child more than the typical adult. I cry alot too and mostly at the littlest things that set me off. Like, I have this hyperness about me that isn't normally seen online. To be honest, I act the OPPOSITE of what I act like online. D:

I'm actually very emotional, like so emotional that it gets in the way of everything mostly. I'm also extremely shy to the point where I am always Mute in public too. It's really bad. D:

Like, I'm not emo I just have problems with controlling my emotions. x_x

Mitchman
July 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I act much stupider and ditzy on the net then I do irl.

幕之内 一歩
July 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Nah. I try to keep it the same. Give people the same vibe so if you were to meet me IRL somehow, you'd already know how I'd be. :P

Aero Shock
July 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hmm... Yeah i'm a bit jolly when im online. But actually IRL i am a very shy, nervous person with stage fright :/.

Rokusasu
July 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I find it a lot easier to be myself online; I'm a pretty shy person IRL around people I don't know, but once I become comfortable with someone, I let my guard down and freak 'em out with my craziness. XD

XxDawnfanxX
July 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I am the same really, except I find things a lot easier to say online xD. My personality is the same but I think I feel more comfortable talking online. Defiantly different here because I can be open about my interest for Pokemon.

sanny the hedgehog
July 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
i dont really know
i think my online personality is the same as my real life personality well except that im not a hedgehog, im nothing like mega man, its not 200x, and i dont have a girlfriend.
those are all of the online things that dont exsist
here is what is true though:
i am very good at gh3and4, great at ssbb, i do draw good, and i do listen to a lot of music

Avey
July 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I'm exactly the same. I've been asking myself this for a couple of weeks and I can't find one difference anymore.

If you're not the same online, it feels to me as if you're re-inventing yourself, and I don't think that's a hip-hop idea, yo.

Bagel
July 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM
im not that different

i really am a naive person wat i say gets me in trouble alot and i admit it im pretty ignorant wen it comes to saying the right thing. and jst like online wen i say something bad or make someone mad i have to apoligize alot jst to not feel guilty

im kinda of a bad girl on line but in the real world im really a good girl
i behave, and do wat im told.

Flabébé
July 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I am blatantly honest to everyone. On and offline.
I am a HUGE hockey fan. On and offline.
I don't hide who I am. On and offline.
I am the same. On and offline.

Miss Soupy
July 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm more of a ditz offline, since I don't exactly think before I say anything. Other than that, I believe that I'm very much the same person. Perhaps more open to some extent, since none of you know me personally and all. xD

Tyrantrum
July 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, HELL. FRIGGIN'. YEAH!

Trust me, if you knew me in real life, you would see my personality change from nice and out going (on the internet) to all serious and teenager-like. (in real life). I have a huge personality difference between the two. Mainly because in real life, I can't get my face to look like → :3.

Harley Quinn
July 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'd like to say a vast change, but in all honesty, I'm only a bit nicer and less onerous to be around.

Ultimate #1 Flareon Fan
July 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty much the same except offline I'm more shy and only act goofy and wild around family and close friends.

Cherrim
July 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
No, I'm exactly the same, seriously. 8|; Lol I even just asked a few people I've met offline to be sure and the answer was a resounding "yeah you're the same".

I think I used to be more outgoing on the net than in real life but... I guess I changed or something. I'm pretty reserved at first both online and offline but I open up fairly easily.

Ineffable~
July 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I also have speech problems aswell. I cant explain very well, I can on the internet, texting, anything like that but when I speak it, it becomes all jumbled. Oh yes, that's so me. I can never explain anything.

I'm pretty much the same except offline I'm more shy and only act goofy and wild around family and close friends. Mmhmm, that's exactly me.

*Nayz*
July 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
A little bit, I'd say. I'm a lot more shy IRL than online. Nothing else, I guess.

same here. How much I talk depends on who the person is irl.

Banjora Marxvile
July 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm more calm on here, but I am kind of nearly the same in real-life and on here.

Misheard Whisper
July 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm a lot more outgoing online, but my wackiness remains the same. Furrets with flamethrowers ftw!

Jack O'Neill
July 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
There are some similarities, but there are significantly more differences. I'll just leave it at that.

UraharaSteph
July 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Surprisingly I'm the same as I am online to when I'm in real life. A part from someone said I'm more of a jerk online... XD they just didn't know the real real life me. :P

I think I'm slightly more outgoing, and I feel more comfortable because online there are plenty of people to discuss anime with where as in real life I have about 4 people to do that with? One of which is my ex boyfriend so not fun timez DX!

And yes... in real life i do say 'Timez' or 'Shmexy'. The only thing that I type that I don't say is 'XD'.... and even that I occasionally say it :P

Yuoaman
July 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Online I am more apt to speak my mind and curse. Though while offline I will usually use sarcasm/jokes to convey my opinions. I'm also incredibly shy in real life.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
July 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I am a bit shy IRL, but online I am all open and stuff... but I am only shy to people I don't know well, once I know you, I am a... Hyper, Perverted, Happy, Optimistic, Loving and caring person, who will pretty much do anything to make sure the person I am with (Loving wise, like BF/GF) is happy. Online it is every man/woman for his/her self, yet I'll help out every so often.
And no, I am not saying that based on my signature, I really mean it. XD

viridian doubletongue
July 20th, 2009, 04:48 AM
no i don't change when i type. when i sit down at the computer i don't put a mask on and pretend to be someone else. what i say, reactions i have work in the same way as they always do.

Operator3
July 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I think I'm a little more sane on the internet. I'm very impulsive, so I wouldn't get away with acting on the net how I act IRL.

Except for when I get drunk and go online. Just hope that never happens here...

Kazukii
July 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I feel more confident online than I do in real life.. so I'm a little louder online xP

ReyRey-Pyon
July 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Not really, I'm pretty much the same person IRL as on THE INTARWEBZ.
Only real difference is im more shy when meeting new people in reality D8

.MurkyBurning.
July 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
hmm somewhat :). i seem more confident

Greene1516
July 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Not a single bit different, I'm just as edgy and cantankerous IRL, though just as nice so as long as people don't do/say stupid things :D

SeaSquirt
July 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I talk more formally online than in real life. It's a habit from writing lots of English papers. That's the only big difference, I think.

xoBoxxy
July 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
I tend to be very much more rude online than IRL. Also when I explain things, I can do it online fine with little problems, but it's hard for me to explain IRL.

HeidiMoose
July 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
I would say that I'm generally the same online.
However.. My nerdy side comes out a lot more on the internet.
I'm shameless online because no one really knows me "personally", so I don't feel as prone to be judged.
(Plus, using Pokecommunity as an example, I can talk about anything Pokemon and rant and rave about it if I want to and no one will think that I'm completely wierd. :D)

I was playing Pokemon Yellow (starting a new game) on my Pokemon Stadium today, and my boyfriend comes out and watches me, after a while he says, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING! YOU'RE JUST RUNNING AROUND IN THE GRASS AND RUNNING INTO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND KILLING IT!"

.. "I'm trying to find a Rattata, and all I'm running into are Pidgeys!"

He just looks at me like I'm crazy. lol

22sa
July 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Not really... but I don't keep a social network IRL (I don't even have a cellphone, bad as that is) & would prefer not to talk if possible.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
July 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Not really... but I don't keep a social network IRL (I don't even have a cellphone, bad as that is) & would prefer not to talk if possible.

I know how that goes!
I don't like to talk much IRL...

Blue Nocturne
July 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
I tend to be a lot less of an acid tongue online and i'm a bit quicker to hold my tongue if i feel someone has wronged me, shown in my amount of post.
My fetishes are let loose online though, such as the full extent of doctor who, scrubs and pokemon obsessions and the mere existence of fondness for bands such as 'The Killers' and 'Dragonforce'.

Timbjerr
July 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
not really, I'm just as sadistic and cynical online as I am IRL...the only difference being, I'm not as reserved to speak my mind online. :P

xxemeneminyxx
July 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Not a single bit different, I'm just as edgy and cantankerous IRL, though just as nice so as long as people don't do/say stupid things :D

I'll quote that Greene but see its harder to get your sarcasm online than IRL!!!

I'm the same really erm... actaully I'm more silly IRL. I do get angry way more easily irl though :\ But pretty much the same.

Game Over1375
July 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
The only difference between my online personality and me IRL is that I cuss ALOT IRL.

Code
July 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
In real life i'm loud and happy, don't care what people I don't know think of me. I'm really positive, self Ironic and try to see the bright side of things, but if my brother irritates me, I can be worse than the devil >:)!
online I think of myself as having the same type of personality, but with a little more "sophisticated" choice of words.
not so much on this site yet, but I'l get there!

Patchisou Yutohru
July 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I don't think so, no. I'm pretty much the same offline and online apart from a few minor quirks like being a lot more open in online relationships than I am in offline relationships and finding people online to be a lot less tolerable than people offline. But it's a lot more difficult to befriend me online than off, strangely enough. Aaaaand, I'm a lot nicer offline.

Kerjo
July 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
I tend to be about the same, though the way I type is different than the way I talk (just a little) and I tend to be alot more friendlier online but not as open.

Cid
July 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
It isn't. It's pretty much the same as IRL, the only difference is that I'm a lot less shy and quiet here.

I also talk different online, which is why I always get beaten and/or edit my post, because I usually don't talk like this.

Arcanine
July 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a great deal different, but I'm not the exact same offline as I am online.

~ Online
I'm more girlyish online.
I act younger then my age.
I dumb myself down (as in like... I made straight A's in school. But you can find a post and pick apart my incorrect grammar. And other stuff along them lines).
More out going.

~ Offline
I'm more calm, and I don't let things get to me.
I act older then my age.
I keep to myself (it's not that I'm shy or won't talk. It's just I like being by myself).

And there might be a few other things. But all of it together isn't enough to make a difference if anyone from PC met me. It's just I'm a little different online then I am off.

Ascaris
July 23rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
I'm more mellow, easy-going and amiable in real life than I am online, which mostly has to do with the fact that I know the people around me as compared to socialising with the anonymous.

Graceful
July 23rd, 2009, 04:55 AM
In RL I am very quiet.......meanwhile when I'm online I'm always chatty and starts a conversation with a random person.....

Zeroess
July 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Because I feel close to Zero (the guy in my theme) in computer world, i feel alot happier.
IRL, i feel heartache...

White Glint
July 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Nope. I'm just as gentle. Aside from family pissing me off....