PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to impose...

Yamikarasu
July 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
So this morning I had football practice, and one of my friends offered to drive me home. He offered it, so I accepted, because my house is pretty far away and otherwise I would have to spend an hour or so on the bus. I didn't feel too bad about it, but he lives completely on the opposite side of the city.

And now, another one of my friends wanted to know if I could hang out at his house today. I told him that I didn't have a car at the moment (it's in the shop, my mom was rear-ended), so his mom is going to pick me up and drive me home. Again, it's a pretty far drive.

So, what are your opinions? Would you have accepted the offers I mentioned, or would you have been hesitant or declined the offers?

TRIFORCE89
July 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
If they offer, then they want you there. Especially if they keep their offer after hearing your circumstances.

It's not like you're saying "Please invite me over to your house".

Yamikarasu
July 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but I could have taken the bus, in both situations, even though it would have taken an hour or so. I don't really feel bad about it, I'm just the type of person who is hesitant to take such offers.

©ereal Killer
July 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Dude, when people offer something you take it!
Its like when trees give you apple, you eat it!
And look on the bright side, you save time and your pocket for not taking the bus!

ShadowLeader
July 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I would have taken the offers.

If someone offers, it means they don't mind, and if they don't mind it's okay. Don't feel bad.

Anxiety.
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
If they offer, you accept. Well, most the time.

If they don't want to drive you, then they shouldn't offer it.

Saltare.
July 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
If they offered, it'd be rude to say NO. Unless, you didn't want them to drive you home or you didn't want to go.

Camisado
July 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I take offers of lifts if I trust the driver (i.e. not most of my friends, they drive like idiots - one got caught doing 53mph in a 30mph zone), but I always offer them money for fuel.

Unfortunately people don't extend the same courtesy for me when they ask me to go out of my way and drive them places =/

Alexithymia~
July 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I accept if I know them well, and then I normally feel guilty throughout the whole ride.

Rokusasu
July 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM
If that were me in that situation, I would have accepted but then offered to pay for fuel or something.

One of my friends got annoyed with another for treating her like a taxi a few months back- so as long as you're not taking advantage of peoples' kindness and are appreciative, then there's no need to feel bad. :3

True Reign
July 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
So this morning I had football practice, and one of my friends offered to drive me home. He offered it, so I accepted, because my house is pretty far away and otherwise I would have to spend an hour or so on the bus. I didn't feel too bad about it, but he lives completely on the opposite side of the city.

And now, another one of my friends wanted to know if I could hang out at his house today. I told him that I didn't have a car at the moment (it's in the shop, my mom was rear-ended), so his mom is going to pick me up and drive me home. Again, it's a pretty far drive.

So, what are your opinions? Would you have accepted the offers I mentioned, or would you have been hesitant or declined the offers?
"When someone offers something for free, take it no matter what".

I would take the rides. They offered, it's free, and they want you there; why the hell wouldn't you say yes?

TRIFORCE89
July 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I take offers of lifts if I trust the driver (i.e. not most of my friends, they drive like idiots - one got caught doing 53mph in a 30mph zone), but I always offer them money for fuel.
Yeah, that too. That should be taken into consideration.

I wouldn't offer money if it's somewhere they were going anyway. If they were heading back to their house with or without you I don't see why you should chip in there.