PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome OS

twocows
July 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

Warning! Challenger approaching!

Yeah, I can't wait. Google hasn't let me down with any of their products (even Chrome; it's a good browser, I just prefer Firefox). If they keep up their usual level of quality, I'll be putting this on a few computers, especially since their focus is speed (as it is initially targeting netbooks).

.little monster
July 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I think I will give it a try when it comes out, but I doubt I will actually use it. My brother is laughing at it right now actually. :| I don't think Google does a bad job. However, I can wait.

Rukario
July 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies.

machinegun777
July 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I use Google Chrome, it's pretty good except for the fact that I can't log onto pokecommunity with it. :\

Gumball Watterson
July 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
ZOMFG. Challenger? Yeah, it will be fast but good luck getting past Gates.

.little monster
July 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I want to know how virus prone it will be..

.Seth
July 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM

As do I.

I like Google and their products, I've just never really found a use for them. I've always used Firefox and Safari for browsing the web. As for Google's other programs and whatnot, I never have and never will find a use for them.

Seems like a good update or whatever, though.

Zet
July 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I guess it all comes down to how much free time people have to find exploits etc. But it might have a good security against viruses like it's web browser, I've been to a couple of sites that use the adobe reader/pdf exploit and google chrome can't do it since I don't have adobe reader/pdf plugin for it :P

.little monster
July 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I guess it all comes down to how much free time people have to find exploits etc. But it might have a good security against viruses like it's web browser, I've been to a couple of sites that use the adobe reader/pdf exploit and google chrome can't do it since I don't have adobe reader/pdf plugin for it :P
Well a lot of people have free time to find exploits in Linux systems, however, since Linux is the hacker's system of choice they do it to improve Linux and not hack it. Maybe Google's will be like that, the hackers will migrate. o:

Gerri Shin
July 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
it sounds interesting, though it will have to be one heck of a system to convert me. I might end up just sticking in a virtual machine to explore a little though.

twocows
July 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Just use Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/) and you don't have to worry about the exploit. Plus, it's like a gazillion times faster and less bloated.

Citrinin
July 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I look forward to seeing how this unfolds. :) It'll be the test of whether the world is ready to migrate primarily to the web or not.

Archer
July 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM
ZOMFG. Challenger? Yeah, it will be fast but good luck getting past Gates.
Uh, Gates is retired, isn't he?

Given it's a well known name, and they know how to make stuff user-friendly, especially if they can get deals with Netbook manufacturers, then I honestly think they have a good chance. For whoever asked, it'll be built on Linux, so it should have the same high-standards of security that linux does. It'll be better than Windows in that respect, anyway.

Dukey
July 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'll probably try this out [No I'm not stupid okay, I have my ways]
It'll be interesting to see how campatible it is, and what kind of quality their default programs are.

Eureka1
July 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'll probably try this out on my netbook when it comes out, as my netbook is just for fun right now.

Crystal Clair
July 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
So does this technically mean that if there's no internet somewhere, the computer is unusable?

If so, that's just a set up for epic fail. You wouldn't believe how many places lack good internet service and this is coming from someone who lives in New York City, and not in backwater Montana.

The internet can't be depended on completely just yet.

Satoshi Ookami
July 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Oh boy Google mans seem to have really really lots of free time...
This won't be good idea... I doubt if anyone will use it...

Archer
July 9th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Just thinking, if it'll be running Chrome on a linux kernal does this mean we could be seeing Chrome on other linux distros eventually?

If they're running most of the features through Chrome - the browser, you'd think they might beef up up the features on it, first.

I don't honestly see what this will achieve, unless it has something special. Google Docs should be available to everyone using the net, which means it'll just be a light linux distro running a half-full browser.

Oh, by the way. I don't know if it's still going, but Google Gears should allow us use Web apps offline.

Captain Fabio
July 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I would be interested to see how this will go.

I will check it out, no doubt, but it would have to be something special to make me change OS's.

Avey
July 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Seems pretty interesting. I might give it a go when it's released.

It'll be interesting seeing how everything plays out, too.