PDA

View Full Version : What is your operating system?

.little monster
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Yes, it is that time of year again. What is(are) your operating system(s)? If you are running an alternate operating system and you need some help, do not post in this thread. Post your questions here! (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183842)

The poll is made from the top 4 operating systems according to a survey on Google. If you don't use them, don't complain and click 'other'.

Gerri Shin
July 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I run Mac OS X 10.5.7 as my main OS for now.
I also have access and can use the following OSs:
Windows 7 RC (build 7100, W7 Pro on pre-order for October)
Kubuntu 9.04
Ubuntu 9.04
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard (dev10a394)

zacnoa345
July 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Lets go Windows VISTA!!!!!!!!!
Its slow but it has good graphics lol for gaming :)

.little monster
July 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Lets go Windows VISTA!!!!!!!!!
Its slow but it has good graphics lol for gaming :)

It's not slow as an operating system. You probably have a bad system. Also, an operating system has nothing to do (as far as I know) with the gaming graphics. The only thing it has to do with you games is the compatiblity with your system. Doesn't affect the speed or graphics. All that is determined by the parts in the computer itself.

As of right now I run Ubuntu Linux as my main OS, I do not dual boot with any other OS at the moment. ◕‿‿◕

Citrinin
July 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Windows Vista. I got it from buying my own computer last year, as I couldn't stand the '98 monster. XD;

Bianca Paragon
July 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Can we get a staff member to restart the poll with expanded options; especially with so many morons still clinging to Windows XP; I propose

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7 RC
Other Windows (2000, 2003, 2008)
~
Mac OS X Tiger
Mac OS X Leopard
Other Mac OS X
Mac OS X86
~
Mainstream Linux Distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc)
Other Linux Distributions
~
Other Operating System

Limey-chan
July 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Vista. I find it easy enough to use and it looks okay. It was built in to my laptop.

Black Ice
July 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Windows Vista Home Premium.

Works well enough for me, I guess.

Ayano Katagiri
July 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Windows Vista Business Premium 64-bit.

I really wondered why there's so many complaints about Vista. I enjoy using it most of the time and there's only been a few areas which have annoyed me but I can easily deal with.

s0nido
July 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. It really isn't bad if your computer can support it.

twocows
July 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
It's not slow as an operating system. You probably have a bad system.
A typical Vista installation has about 70 processes running at any given time. More if you have bloatware installed, less if you've tweaked it a bit. I get about 55 at idle on mine, and that's with some heavy optimization. It takes roughly a minute to boot sans the password. Cut all those numbers in half for my Windows XP installs; 35, 20, and 30 seconds.

If you think Vista isn't slow, try building a Linux installation from ground up. Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/) or Arch (http://www.archlinux.org/) are popular choices here, though setting them up is not for the uninitiated. Things are just snappy; Firefox starts instantly, and even Java applications aren't entirely slow. As for boot time... I know people who think that 15 seconds to boot is slow. It's absurd how insanely fast you can get Linux going. For starters, try Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/); it's a full Linux distribution in under 50 MB. It's very fast all around, though not so much from Live CD. If you choose to run it entirely in memory, it'll take a bit longer to start up and will use roughly 128 MB of your RAM, but it'll be even faster.

Morkula
July 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I really like Vista except for a few minor quirks (HDD space hog with the winsxs folder and such being the major one), but otherwise it's great.
I've preordered my $50 Windows 7 upgrade though, so I should be getting that in October. Tried the beta and really liked it, but I had some troubles with Steam games locking up, so I decided to go back to Vista until 7 was stable.

Bianca Paragon
July 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
try building a Linux installation from ground up.
Now try running some market leading applications or games, lmao.
Enjoy your lack of Photoshop, enjoy your lack of commercial games. Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

Misheard Whisper
July 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm using Windows Vista. That's all I know about it, I'm afraid.

Cartmic
July 9th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Now try running some market leading applications or games, lmao.
Enjoy your lack of Photoshop, enjoy your lack of commercial games. Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

You're starting to sound like a troll, and why I don't like the Mac elitist attitude.

I could write an article on this question: "Can Linux be viewed as a serious Operating System?"

Now first off you need to define where you are going to use Linux, only then you can start to do research on whether it is a serious option in the area you want to use it in.

Now, lets say there is the rare occasion that the need to use Office 2007 arises, or the GIMP doesn't have a certain feature you really need to use, then you can use the excellent WINE, which I can say I use, and is very rare that a program doesn't run with it, Heck I'm able to play Tomb Raider: Anniversary on it.

Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

Try telling that to:

Mark Shuttleworth; The first South African in space.
Canonical; the company leading Ubuntu development
The French Government
NASA
Federal Ministry of Education, Nigeria
United States Navy
Munich
33 German universities
Berlin's art colleges; who use Ubuntu.

I could go on, there are a lot more, but I think thats just a good enough example. In the end it boils down to what you are going to do with your computer.

Bianca Paragon
July 9th, 2009, 03:12 AM
You're starting to sound like a troll, and why I don't like the Mac elitist attitude.

I could write an article on this question: "Can Linux be viewed as a serious Operating System?"

Now first off you need to define where you are going to use Linux, only then you can start to do research on whether it is a serious option in the area you want to use it in.

Now, lets say there is the rare occasion that the need to use Office 2007 arises, or the GIMP doesn't have a certain feature you really need to use, then you can use the excellent WINE, which I can say I use, and is very rare that a program doesn't run with it, Heck I'm able to play Tomb Raider: Anniversary on it.

Try telling that to:

The French Government
NASA
United States Navy
Munich
33 German universities

I could go on, there are a lot more, but I think thats just a good enough example. In the end it boils down to what you are going to do with your computer.
I mentioned games and you called me a Mac Elitist.
Your post had now been rendered null and void.

Mitchman
July 9th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Xp service pack 2. I wouldn't dare touch vista with a 6 foot pole.

HarrisonH
July 9th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Windows 7 here. I've been using it since the beta. I did have XP on another partition, but since I hadn't been using it, I went ahead and deleted it.

Your post had now been rendered null and void.

Your own posts have been null and void for a while now.

Zet
July 9th, 2009, 03:22 AM

Try telling that to:

The French Government
NASA
United States Navy
Munich
33 German universities

Those aren't Operating Systems you listed, what's the point of posting that crap if Linux isn't a serious Operating System. Now before you call me a "Mac Elitist" I'm a windows user and have been all my life.

And I currently use both XP and Vista

Eureka1
July 9th, 2009, 05:12 AM
cloud.CONNECTED, just get over yourself.

Every post in here is composed as if to produce a reaction. Luckily for you, you're untouchable - being friends with mods n all.

Linux is every bit as good as Mac OS unfortunately, and XP users aren't "morons".

I'll give you a 7/10 for making me repsond, again.

I'm currently using Vista x64 Business SP2 on my desktop and XP x86 SP3 on my netbook. Might try Arch on my netbook some time.

Corvus of the Black Night
July 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Trolling is so not cool, like yeah BOTH OF YOU [/lolface]

I just installed a dual boot yesterday with Ubuntu, my previous OS is Vista. Vista's been booting slower since then, but Ubuntu is like, BAM!

I'm having trouble configuring my wireless though, so I'm not using it as much right now. Damn you, Broadcom 8.02 b/g WLAN and your incompatibility! Another thing I don't like about Ubuntu is that terrifying, screech system beep, and whenever I try to disable it it says I don't have the permission to do so. Other than that, I quite like it's speed. =)

>Feelings<
July 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm always with windown till now. But I'm using XP, because I hate Vista and its lags.

wakachamo
July 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM
hay guise i liek mac os x so dats wat i use its the best lol no viruses and u can open ms office files 2!!!!

twocows
July 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Those aren't Operating Systems you listed, what's the point of posting that crap if Linux isn't a serious Operating System. Now before you call me a "Mac Elitist" I'm a windows user and have been all my life.

And I currently use both XP and Vista
Not sure what you mean. He was demonstrating the widespread use of Linux on business and government computers. Those are all institutions that use Linux, and there are a lot more than just what he listed. Some "amateur" OS wouldn't have such widespread deployment by important people. Maybe you misread?

Though I think we should get off the topic of what's worse and get back to simply explaining what OS you like. I already explained why I like Linux and BSD net builds, as I can choose exactly what goes on them. I've never needed to so far, but there's always WINE if I need something from Windows; I find there's usually an open source alternative to any commercial software that ranges anywhere from almost as good to better.

Kazukii
July 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Windows XP. It's as good as it ever was :)

twocows
July 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Windows XP. It's as good as it ever was :)
XP was certainly built very well, and using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/), you can get it down to like 15-20ish processes running at idle. It's very fast like that.

July 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
XP is the best form of Windows in my opinion. It should be the standard for those at Microsoft, but now it just looks like that they're trying to imitate Apple a bit.

Zet
July 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Not sure what you mean. He was demonstrating the widespread use of Linux on business and government computers. Those are all institutions that use Linux, and there are a lot more than just what he listed. Some "amateur" OS wouldn't have such widespread deployment by important people. Maybe you misread?

Though I think we should get off the topic of what's worse and get back to simply explaining what OS you like. I already explained why I like Linux and BSD net builds, as I can choose exactly what goes on them. I've never needed to so far, but there's always WINE if I need something from Windows; I find there's usually an open source alternative to any commercial software that ranges anywhere from almost as good to better.
over here in Australia, the Government use a working OS they isn't prone to be easily hacked, like Windows. Though I doubt all people/places listed aren't from legit sources, mainly because an art college would need a good working art program :)

King Goodra
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
At home, my primary operating system (er,... only operating system) that I use is Windows 7. It runs probably the best out of all of the operating systems I've used on my computer with a few problems here and there. My computer originally came with Windows XP, however, and I've upgraded to Windows Vista in the past (as I preferred it to Windows XP, due to the advancement Microsoft made with the appearance of it all). I've also used Ubuntu on this machine, however, I couldn't listen to any of the purchased music I got due to it being protected and all, and iTunes wasn't made for Linux Operating Systems, so I reinstalled Vista.

At home, my primary operating system is Mac OS X Leopard. I prefer it, being someone who is attracted to just about anything Steve Jobs and Apple put out into the market, regardless of how much people think it's overpriced or something... I dunno. In my personal opinion, I find it easier to use than Windows since I don't have to fight with the Operating System to get it to do the things I want it to do. But that's just me, I suppose.

I'll tell you one thing, though, Apple has some serious competition with Windows 7... and that's coming from an Apple fanboy.

Zet
July 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
In my opinion Apple has nothing to fear about that fugly SUPER taskbar, it's hideous

Bianca Paragon
July 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
..and using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/), you can get it down to like 15-20ish processes running at idle. It's very useless and lacking major functionality like that.
Fixed that for you.
I have 16GB of RAM now. There is *no need* to compulsively "trim down" the OS, to be so obsessed about how many "processes running at idle" there are. This is 2009, baby - get with the tiiiiems.

Rukario
July 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
dual-boot winXP sp3 and Ubuntu (last years version)

BTW most webservers out there run some form of linux.. so it is a serious OS, just not quite ready for personal desktop use yet (it is getting there though) especially in today's office/work environments.

machinegun777
July 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I use Windows Vista, I never really liked Macs because there is a lot of software that doesn't work on them.

Zet
July 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
dual-boot winXP sp3 and Ubuntu (last years version)

BTW most webservers out there run some form of linux.. so it is a serious OS, just not quite ready for personal desktop use yet (it is getting there though) especially in today's office/work environments.
isn't that because they're cheaper than windows to host?

.little monster
July 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
isn't that because they're cheaper than windows to host?
..no. Linux is more secure. Way..way more secure.

Just so this post isn't complete spam..I will put Linux on my notebook. :P

wakachamo
July 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
At home, my primary operating system (er,... only operating system) that I use is Windows 7.

[...]

At home, my primary operating system is Mac OS X Leopard.

Did I read that right or am I just missing something here?

Zet
July 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Did I read that right or am I just missing something here?
I think he meant at school he uses mac osx

Eureka1
July 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
XP was certainly built very well, and using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/), you can get it down to like 15-20ish processes running at idle. It's very fast like that.

From a clean install it's very fast. No need for nLite.

Regardless of your PC, you'll always get better performance from XP over Vista.

I believe Windows 7 is actually better than XP though from real world benchmarks I've seen.

Ezzo!
July 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
windows vista.
it's not that horrific as they say it is tbh.

dotKarma
July 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Vista.

There was no other option for when i got my laptop other than paying an extra $200 for xp (no idea why), so I just stuck with it. It's not as bad as people say it is.

Cassino
July 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I run Windows 3. What is this obsolescence you speak of?

Eureka1
July 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I run Windows 3. What is this obsolescence you speak of?

Windows 3.1 is way better bro, you're living in the past.

twocows
July 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Lacking major functionality
Lacking major functionality like updating shortcuts across a LAN. I wouldn't want my shortcuts to be out of date on my non-existent network, would I?

And regardless of your hardware, more stuff running will always be slower than less stuff running. My XP installation ran significantly faster on both my 2000 PC and my 2004 PC (faster than when I got it) when I removed that useless clutter, even though the 2004 PC had hardware more than sufficient to run all of that stuff and more.

From a clean install it's very fast. No need for nLite.
Yeah, XP is pretty fast even with the default stuff, but it's even faster with 400 MB worth of stuff I don't use removed.

I believe Windows 7 is actually better than XP though from real world benchmarks I've seen.It's actually roughly equivalent to Vista in terms of performance (perhaps slightly faster). The front-end is sped up so it seems faster than it really is, however (source (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2008/11/10/windows-7-faster-or-just-smarter/) source (http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/test-center-benchmarks-windows-7-unmasked-543) source (http://www.pcworld.com/article/164485/windows_7_rc_benchmarks.html)).

Windows 3.1 is way better bro, you're living in the past.
I love Windows 3.1. Try Calmira (http://www.calmira.de/), it gives it a 95-esque appearance. I'm currently trying to install it over FreeDOS; I want to see if I can have FreeDOS as the back-end.

Armaina
July 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I've got Windows XP Pro on my desktop and Xubuntu on my little old laptop. It's well enough. Both operating systems have their merits, though I tend to prefer Windows more.
I'll be keeping XP for a while, until maybe I get a system with 4 gb of ram, after that I may not upgrade till the first service pack comes out for Windows 7. I find that usually by the first service pack, it fixes a slew of problems often plauging most new releases of the OS.

Crystal Clair
July 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
On my old laptop I use XP
On my new laptop I'm using Vista temporarily. I'm going to downgrade to XP soon.

But honestly, Vista isn't that bad. I hate what they did to the MSPaint color pallet but other than that, it's livable.
I just turned off all the fancy graphics.

.Wolfie-kun.
July 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I have Windows XP Home Edition, bleh.

Windows 7 looks interesting though I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. Same goes for Vista even though I've heard bad things about it *Hides from Vista fans*

Tré
July 10th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Windows 7 RC for Gaming Heaven...!!! oye!

Archer
July 10th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I don't see the point in wasting money on new hardware when you can get things running a lot better with a little work trimming down. It's worth noting that older hardware can't be upgraded past a certain point and not everyone has the money to buy a new computer every year. Then they've got to get their hands on a 64-bit OS if they haven't already got one, which will set them back even more.

I'm currently Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04, both of which I'm happy with. MS should thank their Office 2007 department for keeping me caring about Windows enough to run Win7. I know I can run it through WINE, but meh. :D

vVintage
July 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I use Mac OS X. <3
:D

I like it way better than Windows. It's more organized and easy to use. :)

Cazzicles
July 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Windows Vista, for the world. =)

Avey
July 10th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Windows XP on my laptop, Vista on my family's desktop.

.little monster
July 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Forgot to add, we have XP on our Family Laptop which I never use.

Satoshi Ookami
July 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Windows. XP on my Notebook and Vista on mother's one

twocows
July 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
If we can include virtual installations of OSes (e.g., VirtualBox), then I can bump up my count a lot more. I've got a Windows 3.1 install on top of FreeDOS now (took me a few days to figure out how to do it right), ReactOS, some Linux distros I'm experimenting with, Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (Microsoft's version of an nLited XP, more or less), Windows 95, and Windows ME (lol). I also had the Windows 7 RC on there at one time in addition to it being on my other computers, but once I took it off them, I took it off VirtualBox as well.

Captain Fabio
July 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
On my laptop?
I am currently running Vista Home Premium SP1.

Gummy
July 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
The desktop I'm currently on uses Windows XP, which I am entirely content with. The laptop I bought earlier today automatically comes with Windows Vista, but I would have preferred XP.

July 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Roight, since people are now adding computers they typically don't use:
My Lappy - Windows Vista and Ubuntu
My Sister's and Dad's Lappy - Windows Vista
My Parent's Desktop - Windows XP
My Old Desktop - Windows 98, started with Windows 3.01. I'm thinking about loading Xubuntu on it just for the lulz.
My Other Old Desktop - Windows ME (even worse)
The Compy in the Depths of the Basement - Windows 98, but started without Windows the damn thing's so old lol

bluecherry
July 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I use Mac OSX on all my computers.

Ooka
July 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm currently running Windows 7 build 7100.

.little monster
July 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just installed Windows Seven Build 7100 onto my computer, dual booting with Ubuntu.

Bianca Paragon
July 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Just installed Windows Seven Build 7100 onto my computer, dual booting with Ubuntu.
Good to see you finally came to your senses and installed a proper, commercial OS.

Signomi
July 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM
On this laptop I'm running Windows Vista. My desktop is running Windows XP, which is my preferred operating system.

.little monster
July 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
It's just Ubuntu again, I had to get rid of Seven. I partitioned my HDD into two 40GB partitions, I would think 40GB would be enough for Seven but apparently not, I cant even install anything more than an anti-virus. :\ Might be something wrong with the partitions where they aren't the size they say they are. I don't know, I am not good with computers. Just saying, now I just have Ubuntu. :|

Anxiety.
July 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I use Windows XP.
But, I really want a mac 3:

maxieboy34
July 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I'm on Windows 7 build 7229 and Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot. I want to reinstall 7 for the newest build, 7600, but the burn fails every time. I aready tried with 5 different DVDs and 3 diferent ISOs. Any idea anyone?

Diglett
July 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Windows XP all the way ;P

Archer
July 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
It's just Ubuntu again, I had to get rid of Seven. I partitioned my HDD into two 40GB partitions, I would think 40GB would be enough for Seven but apparently not, I cant even install anything more than an anti-virus. :\ Might be something wrong with the partitions where they aren't the size they say they are. I don't know, I am not good with computers. Just saying, now I just have Ubuntu. :|
That's can't be right. I managed to install Windows 7 on a 10 GB Partition when I was testing, and there was enough room to install Office 2007 and a few other smaller programs. If you're sure it's the right size, backup you documents and format the partition. (probably using GParted) Then install it and check how much room you have set for System Restore and the Recycle Bin. Also, the Pagefile.sys and Hiberfile.sys can each take up as much room as you have RAM, if I remember correctly.

Bit of advice, though - never do an upgrade install. They're buggy.

I'm on Windows 7 build 7229 and Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot. I want to reinstall 7 for the newest build, 7600, but the burn fails every time. I aready tried with 5 different DVDs and 3 diferent ISOs. Any idea anyone?

You'd probably get more help if you made a new thread, so I suggest doing that. You need to look at the common aspects. Are you downloading them from the same location? Are the DVDs the same brand? What program are you using to burn the ISOs?

Snivi
July 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Windows XP will have Vista when new tower is ready =D

Horizon
July 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Windows XP will have Vista when new tower is ready =D

DEAR GOD DON'T USE VISTA! Keep with XP and install the Windows 7 RC until Windows 7 itself is released. Unless the Vista you are buying comes with a W7 upgrade option.

I myself am using the Windows 7 RC with Vista on a dual boot. Only because I then have something to use if 7 stops.

maxieboy34
July 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
You'd probably get more help if you made a new thread, so I suggest doing that. You need to look at the common aspects. Are you downloading them from the same location? Are the DVDs the same brand? What program are you using to burn the ISOs?

Nevermind. The seventh DVD I tried worked, so I was just in extremely bad luck I think :P So I'm on Win7 build 7600 now :D

Archer
July 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Nevermind. The seventh DVD I tried worked, so I was just in extremely bad luck I think :P So I'm on Win7 build 7600 now :D
What's that like, any major improvements? I'm still running 7137.

maxieboy34
July 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM
It's rumored It's the final RTM code, and Microsoft will only make extremely little improvements. For example 7600.16384 is this build, and the final final will be 7600.17000 or something.
Changes over build 7137:
- The watermark in the left corner is gone.
- It's - again - a lot faster (yes it's still possible)
- some little improvements on graphics (a lot nicer standard wallpaper, start button glows differently, that kind of stuff)
- More preinstalled drivers (my internet didn't work out of the box until build 7229, now it does :D)
- Can't think of anything else for now.

But watch out - You can't register with the RC codes! You have to search around the web *ahum* Orbit30 *ahum* to find an activator. This build only leaked in 64 bit by the way.

Archer
July 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
It's rumored It's the final RTM code, and Microsoft will only make extremely little improvements. For example 7600.16384 is this build, and the final final will be 7600.17000 or something.
Changes over build 7137:
- The watermark in the left corner is gone.
- It's - again - a lot faster (yes it's still possible)
- some little improvements on graphics (a lot nicer standard wallpaper, start button glows differently, that kind of stuff)
- More preinstalled drivers (my internet didn't work out of the box until build 7229, now it does :D)
- Can't think of anything else for now.

But watch out - You can't register with the RC codes! You have to search around the web *ahum* Orbit30 *ahum* to find an activator. This build only leaked in 64 bit by the way.

Looks good. All of my hardware works fine, so apart from performance upgrades, I can't see the need. The watermark is removable and doesn't irritate me anyway. Besides, I'm running 32-bit. If the RC codes don't work, then it's probably not worth messing with. My build is free and fine. :D

The only issue I've found is poor performance with Windows Media Player.

maxieboy34
July 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Build 7600 x86 is leaked by the way, and activating is really easy. I don't force you to install this build :P I just become crazy if I don't have the latest and the newest :P I have my data on another drive, so if I reinstall, all I need to do is reinstall office, chrome and stuff, and that's it :D

The only issue I've found is poor performance with Windows Media Player.
Hmm.... Never had any problems with media player... But I do have some with winamp...

Emily.
July 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I, like the majority of people, I'm running on Windows. To be exact, it's Windows XP. I know, I know, pretty boring and "rubbish" at least according to some people it is. However, the only thing that I have ever liked about Windows Vista is it's appearance. So, I'm likely to upgrade to Windows 7, when it is officially out, along with the rest of the members of my household and their computers. This is mainly because we are all running on Windows XP, and none of us particularly like Windows Vista.

However, I quite like custom colour schemes for my computer - I currently don't have any of them due to the fact that I wiped my hard drive a few weeks ago. Stepping back away from my tangent, I'll repeat that I do in fact use Windows XP, although on occasions it doesn't look like it is actually Windows XP, and I have been asked about this on many other occasions.

Every so often, though, I do wonder what exactly it's like to use another Operating System, as I have never actually used another, be it Linux or a Mac. Although, the Linux System does appear rather interesting, I may attempt or build up the guts to use that in the future.

Pikachu the Speaker
July 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I have Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard. My dad and I never wanted to buy Windows.

twocows
July 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Every so often, though, I do wonder what exactly it's like to use another Operating System, as I have never actually used another, be it Linux or a Mac. Although, the Linux System does appear rather interesting, I may attempt or build up the guts to use that in the future.
Mess around with it on VirtualBox first, then set up a dual-boot if you like it enough. Don't just go cold from Windows to another OS.

.little monster
July 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Mess around with it on VirtualBox first, then set up a dual-boot if you like it enough. Don't just go cold from Windows to another OS.
Or you could just use a live CD.

Emily.
July 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Oh no, I know to do that and look around before I do anything like that, I also know one or two people who are actually running on both a Mac OS, and a Linux OS, and people who have actually used the two Operating Systems.

I'll definitely make sure I'm in the all clear to go with either Operating System before I actually use them. I'm also only like to do that, if I eventually get a new Laptop or Desktop, and just use my current desktop to test it out, if I like it, I'll install the OS onto the newer Laptop or Desktop.

.little monster
July 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Oh no, I know to do that and look around before I do anything like that, I also know one or two people who are actually running on both a Mac OS, and a Linux OS, and people who have actually used the two Operating Systems.

I'll definitely make sure I'm in the all clear to go with either Operating System before I actually use them. I'm also only like to do that, if I eventually get a new Laptop or Desktop, and just use my current desktop to test it out, if I like it, I'll install the OS onto the newer Laptop or Desktop.
Well, with a live CD you don't install anything or change anything on your computer, it boots right from the CD and installs nothing.

BananasGoMoo
July 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Desktop: Win7 7100

Laptop Win Vista Home Premium

Emily.
July 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Well, with a live CD you don't install anything or change anything on your computer, it boots right from the CD and installs nothing.

That's never been something that appeals to me, unfortunately. I'd rather test the whole thing out completely. And if I don't like it, just install Windows. Thank you, though..even though I knew that, haha. :x But yeah, I appreciate you saying that, because I didn't know for certain.

as2
July 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
That's never been something that appeals to me, unfortunately. I'd rather test the whole thing out completely. And if I don't like it, just install Windows. Thank you, though..even though I knew that, haha. :x But yeah, I appreciate you saying that, because I didn't know for certain.

Using a LiveCD is 100% a good idea; you are testing it out 'completely', just not mucking with your hard drive. It's handy to know if you'll need to fiddle about getting your WiFi, sound, or graphics working before you take the plunge and install it properly.

Terrain
July 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Windows XP, though sometimes I do consider getting a laptop with a Mac OS.

I sometimes use a laptop with a Windows Vista OS when I go in PC, though the one I'm currently using has Windows XP.

Emily.
July 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Using a LiveCD is 100% a good idea; you are testing it out 'completely', just not mucking with your hard drive. It's handy to know if you'll need to fiddle about getting your WiFi, sound, or graphics working before you take the plunge and install it properly.

Yeaaah, I'm not one that likes testing things, either. I prefer just getting something and working out how to use it as I go along, stupid, I know.. but it's all a learning experience. I'm not gunna install it on my main computer, anyway. Just install it somewhere to mess about with, y'know?

Katalyst
July 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I use Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I don't like it very much, I'll switch to 7 as soon as it comes out.

seeker
July 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I'm using windows. Always have. I have my own Sony Vaio laptop with Vista and while vista can be extremely annoying, it gets easier to manage the more you use it. XP had its easy navigation and not so confusing settings but once you get used to vista and learn a bit about it it feels a lot smoother than xp. I think you have to be slightly more savvey with computers when it comes to Vista though. Advanced settings are rather... advanced. But i like it i can't really complain, even though 60% of vista users do :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I use Window's vista, I never heard of the other ones before in my life

:t354:TG

.little monster
July 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I use Window's vista, I never heard of the other ones before in my life

:t354:TG
That's your problem.

I got Vista SP1 and Ubuntu to dual boot, so I use both.

Vista is on a 44.1 GB partition.
Ubuntu on a 31.8 GB partition

Cherrim
July 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Windows XP on my netbook (blech after Vista and 7 D:) and Windows 7 on my laptop. I love me some Windows.

v_v I was gonna hackintosh my netbook but that's looking like a pipe dream since I don't think I'll ever be able to finish the download for the ISO to do it, haha.

I want to try Linux just to say I've used it but I can't be bothered yet and it's not at the top of my to-do list.

Camisado
July 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I run Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard, and Windows XP.

.little monster
August 2nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Windows XP SP3 Professional Edition and Ubuntu 9.04

I reformat too much.

Ascaris
August 2nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Windows XP. I wanted to download OpenSUSE Linux but I never really got around to it.

beauty. proletariat
August 2nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Windows XP SP3 after disliking hackintosh. I will however, buy myself an OS X and Bootcamp Windows 7 when I get to university (two years to go :))

Cazzicles
August 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
Windows Vista; It's okay.
Don't regret having it though.
XP sucks, in my opinion.

Horizon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Windows 7. It's awesome; the best operating system I've ever used. It's what Vista should have been; very lightweight and easy to use. I reccomend it to everyone.

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
Windows 7. It's awesome; the best operating system I've ever used. It's what Vista should have been; very lightweight and easy to use. I reccomend it to everyone.
I love when people say "Windows 7 is very lightweight"; when it actually has slightly HIGHER system requirements than Vista~

.little monster
August 2nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
I love when people say "Windows 7 is very lightweight"; when it actually has slightly HIGHER system requirements than Vista~
Agreed, if you want a real lightweight OS, get Xubuntu. Which I might try out again..

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
Agreed, if you want a real lightweight OS, get Xubuntu. Which I might try out again..
Or
[here it comes]
Mac OS X Leopard, which runs beautifully on even 1GB of RAM or less :D

Horizon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM

But W7 uses up less system resources etc. and thus runs/boots much faster than a similar machine running Vista. That's the point I'm making here. It's got nothing to do with the requirements.

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
But W7 uses up less system resources etc. and thus runs/boots much faster than a similar machine running Vista. That's the point I'm making here. It's got nothing to do with the requirements.
Can you install and run it on hardware lesser than that you can with Vista? What? No? That's what I thought. It's just as "heavyweight" as Vista :P

Horizon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:55 AM
True, but when OS' are discussed in terms of weight, it refers to system performance once installed, not requirements. Hence why Vista is referred to as 'heavy', since it takes up a great deal of system resources when running, giving an all round sluggish performance when compared to 'lightweight' OS such as 7, Ubuntu etc.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Windows Xp. I don't need good graphics because I mainly use my current computer for writing and work. I use another computer for gaming.

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
True, but when OS' are discussed in terms of weight, it refers to system performance once installed, not requirements. Hence why Vista is referred to as 'heavy', since it takes up a great deal of system resources when running, giving an all round sluggish performance when compared to 'lightweight' OS such as Vista, Ubuntu etc.
Vista runs beautifully on 1GB of RAM with a 1.83Ghz CPU, in my experience ~ and by beautifully I mean things are snappy and responsive, and stable. What's so heavy about that?

Horizon
August 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Vista runs beautifully on 1GB of RAM with a 1.83Ghz CPU, in my experience ~ and by beautifully I mean things are snappy and responsive, and stable. What's so heavy about that?

All I am saying is that your system would run even more beautifully if you used Seven. I'm not trying to force you to use it, and I suppose we should agree to disagree on this. But having used Vista for a good while before switching to 7 (and running both OS' on a dual boot on my machine), and through collaboration with friends and associates who run a similar setup, we agree that 7 runs much better.

If I were you, I would download the RC from Microsoft and at least try it. Having said that, I don't want people thinking I am MS-biased. I have used Mac OSX extensively as part of my studies for the past three years, and I have downloaded but have yet to fully try Ubuntu.

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Well, I've been using 7 on my laptop for some weeks now and find it no better or worse than Vista in terms of performance :3 Sure, it has some gorgeous features but being any faster isn't one of them~

Horizon
August 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Really? Wow, comea as a suprise to me when I compare the performance due to my experience with them. But, each to his/her own, hope you enjoy using them.

Zet
August 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Windows 7 performs better for me than Windows Vista, not sure why, it just does

donavannj
August 2nd, 2009, 06:24 AM
Windows 7 performs better for me than Windows Vista, not sure why, it just does

Because Microsoft stopped trying to have it do everything at once. ;)

Saltare.
August 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Windows Vista for the computers and laptops and Opera for the Wii System

Bianca Paragon
August 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
My OS > Yours
Mac OS 8.6, bby!

http://i30.tinypic.com/27zkdo0.jpg (http://i29.tinypic.com/28u4idh.jpg)

.little monster
August 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Or
[here it comes]
Mac OS X Leopard, which runs beautifully on even 1GB of RAM or less :D
Yes but the one I suggested works on all computers and is free. You don't have to tweak it (or buy it/get it illegally) to get it to work like you do with Mac.

donavannj
August 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Oh, and since i completely forgot to post the OS's I use, I have a desktop with Windows XP Pro SP 2 (?) that has Windows 3.11 running in a virtual machine. My laptop runs Vista Home Premium, customized for Sony Vaio machines. My mobile devices have their respective proprietary OS's, and the same goes for the game consoles here.

.little monster
August 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Massive failure. I ran out of space on my Ubuntu partition and I still needed to some things. So, now I am stuck with XP on an 80 GB HDD until I get a new HDD. >: So now I have only XP, but I made it look nice. (b^.^)b

mewthree w/armor
August 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Right now I'm running:
Windows XP 64-bit on two machines (Desktops)
Windows XP 32-bit on two machines (One being a laptop)
On my Virtual Machine I have Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), Vista 64-bit twice for testing purposes, and I have a hacked XP setup running. Not sure if I deleted the last one.

I'm going to make the big move to Windows 7 though. Not totally happy with XP 64-bit.

twocows
August 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Right now I'm running:
On my Virtual Machine I have Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), Vista 64-bit twice for testing purposes, and I have a hacked XP setup running. Not sure if I deleted the last one.

I'm going to make the big move to Windows 7 though. Not totally happy with XP 64-bit.

Right now I'm running:

Obligatory "who watches the watchers? (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Who_Watches_The_Watchers_%28episode%29)"

In other news, I'm thinking I might give Damn Small Linux a try on some older hardware of mine, see how it goes. It should be enough for me to get word processing and printer support on that particular computer...

mewthree w/armor
August 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Obligatory "who watches the watchers? (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Who_Watches_The_Watchers_%28episode%29)"

In other news, I'm thinking I might give Damn Small Linux a try on some older hardware of mine, see how it goes. It should be enough for me to get word processing and printer support on that particular computer...

While you were making that post I ate all your cookies ^_^

On that note...Is anyone actually willingly running Vista?

Horizon
August 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM

I only have Vista on a dual boot with my Windows 7 because the webcam I use won't run on a 64bit system, so I have a 32bit Vista Home Premium alongside this. To be honest, I've never liked Vista. As I've said previously, it's just really sluggish.

Though I ordwered Seven Home Premium earlier today, so it's all good. ^_^

.little monster
August 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM

I gave up on Vista, ran slow on my computer even though I have well over the requirements. It annoyed me, so I just got XP again.

On a side note, I now have Damn Small Linux booting withing Windows, just because I am bored. : 3 Thanks twocows.

donavannj
August 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM

I am... registry corrupts a lot less quickly than XP. ;) Home Premium came on my laptop, which isn't my ideal version, but Ultimate was great to work with in my A-Plus certification course.

Mumei
August 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I run Windows Vista Home Premium, IMO it's a nice OS and I don't get why people hate it so much. I've heard everything from "memory hog" to "super glitchy", but I haven't experienced anything like that. Maybe because I'm so used to the old computer that had less than a gigabyte of RAM and ran super slowly, but yeah. I've never tried 7, but I do like vista more than XP. The general design is much more polished.

I can use Macs, but they're so darn expensive and there are some little quirks that I just can't get used to for whatever reason. I've worked a tiny bit with Linux, I want to get to know it better but I don't want to risk killing my computer by trying to partition it myself.

Malice.
August 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Ya I am, Home Premium x64 running on desktop and laptop, and x86 Ultimate on old 2005 desktop. I have x64 7 dual-booted on my high-end desktop and lappy as well.

Lie Ren
August 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM

I use Vista, and it works just fine.. there were a few issues at first, but after a while all the bugs got worked out. Now it's really nice, and I'm finally glad that I have it. xD;

xMeowthz
August 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Windows vista is the best thing since ME. I use Windows 7 RC, with Ubuntu as a dual-boot

And in x64/64-bit

Johnny590
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Since my computer is 2 years old and came with it, Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I haven't had much problems, except my sidebar no longer works and looks broken. lol.

twocows
August 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I've always found the comparisons between ME and Vista to be a bit harsh. There are probably more things about Vista that I dislike than most operating systems, but it's nowhere near as bad as ME was. I think I've gotten perhaps one or two BSODs since I got my Vista laptop a year ago; ME would crash every other time I used it.

Chloè
August 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
My primary computer is my Windows XP..
When I get my laptop next month, it will be Windows Vista. >.<
I also have a Mac OS X I use for my music creation, since my Windows is for art and AMV's

machinegun777
August 4th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I currently use Windows Vista, in the future I will buy Windows 7.

Musashi ✖
August 4th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Windows XP Professional.

I've had Windows 98 and Me (Millenium) too. (let me tell you, Windows Me, sucked in my opinion ;__;)