PDA

View Full Version : NEVER! You better give up.

Vie
July 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM
K, this topic bothers me very much at the moment, so I wanted to ask how you guys handle it. Do you have any slightly unrealistic dreams? Do you tell people about that and how do you feel when the react negative or positive?

This may sound a little bit weird, but I want to be an actress and live a few years in england. Then move to canada and my goal in life is to buy a ranch there and live happy for the rest of my life ~ yay!

I know that this is a dream which is not easy to become true, but I still think I can make it if I want it. Most people tell me that I should look for a 'proper' job, but I don't think that people can be really lucky if they do something that they don't want to do. This is my ultimate dream job, and I am ready to work a lot for it. And then I can be lucky. :D
Plus, the harder the goal is, the happier you can be when you reach it. :3

Discuss. ~♥

.little monster
July 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I actually have a pretty realistic dream. Go to college in Toronto and study Accounting, move to Canada, get an Accounting job and live happily ever after. Also, I do tell people they react positively except for when people say "WHY?!"

Well, I get payed a lot to play with a calculator and I can take vacations when ever I want for how ever long I want, as long as it's reasonable. :P On top of that, I like Accounting and am good at it.

Esper
July 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
It's okay to have slightly, or even horribly unrealistic dreams as long as you can cope with some/most/all of them not coming true. People will tell you to give up on dreams because they are trying to keep you from being too disappointed, probably because they've had some dreams of their own not come true.

I'm flexible with my dreams. I wanted to travel, and I have, but it's cost me quite a lot from my savings. I have few regrets, though. That's what matters.

Anxiety.
July 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
My dream is relatively realistic. To become a Forensic Scientist or a Game Designer.

Melody
July 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
My dream...it's a bit unclear really. So I can't say I've ever really told anyone outside my family what my dream-of-the-moment is. XD I just follow what my heart tells me to do, and the people I do tell..seem to understand that well, so they don't discourage me.

Of course I'm a realist, so I really don't usually have what one might term as an 'unrealistic' dream. But, I really don't make a habit of discouraging others' pipe dreams myself.

Yrie
July 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Since I was....6, I think, I've had the dream of performing on stage somehow, like the more well known bands out there, which is probably the dream everyone pretty much has. I'd just make up songs in my head and sing them under my breath, though never writing them down. After a while I'd forget the songs and make up new ones, which I still do. After I learned a lot about the band Tokio Hotel (which is also my biggest influence when I write songs)'s, history, I was pretty much convinced that I could do the same. By now I know how unlikely it is that the dream would ever become a reality, and I haven't told anyone except for my best friend, since I don't want my dream to be put down. As of now, my dream hasn't changed, just my taste in music. However, I still remain in contact with reality, meaning thinking of the future from a more realistic perspective, with still keeping the future I'd most like to have in mind, for example, I keep writing and singing (though not performing) songs (I think they've taken on a tone somewhere between Taylor Swift and Tokio Hotel, for some reason), though that's not my only hope now. Otherwise, I'd like a future in a scientific field.

Amaruuk
July 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Well, I have two big dreams currently. One I don't feel is unrealistic at all, though it's definitely not easy, and the other I know is about as unrealistic as one can get, but I can't help but keep hoping.

The first is to become a great graphic designer. At this point I think logos/corporate identity and package design may be my main focus, but I really want to be a jack-of-all-trades and do as many different things as I can. Variety makes things more interesting. I'm on that path already, as I'm almost halfway through getting my Bachelor's. On a side note, I hope someday to be able to redesign a lot of the sucky packaging that I have to use frequently.

My second dream is to spend the rest of my life with someone I barely know. It's loads more complicated than that, but I don't feel like telling the story again, and I'm sure no one would care to read it, either. :P

As far as people's reactions, my friends always support and encourage me even if it's something ridiculous. I think they worry sometimes, though. X3

abnegation
July 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I think everybody tends to believe their dreams are unrelistic in the begining or even their whole life but i believe in the whole 'You can do anything you can put your mind to' thing because i've seen people dedicate themselves and believe they can do something and they do it. A lot of your sucess is down to your own mentality, if you're in the right frame of mind you'll go places! I for one want to be a Music Producer and one day release my own music, but i come from no musical background whatsoever! None of my family can play and when they tried they were useless and too lazy but i pushed myself to be able to play the instruments i play even though i wasn't good in the begining at all, now i'm a high grade and i'm progressing faster than average. So i think yes people do believe their dreams are out of reach but if they just believe they can do it it certainly brings up their chances. Begining new goals is hard but once you get to a certain point on your way to it it gets a whole lot more easy!

Avey
July 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I don't really know what I want to do in the near future, other than hopefully going to university and studying English and Drama, but I do know that after I reach the age of thirty-five, I want to become the president of Ireland. A lot of adults have looked at me and patronised me when I told them this dream of mine, but the people who know me best say I'd probably make a great president.

Unrealistic, sure. But hey, as Adidas said: impossible is nothing.

Gummy
July 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
My dreams aren't outrageous or anything, but I remember going to my college adviser so we could discuss my future, and he pretty much said, "Yeah, you're going to have thing up new dreams with grades like these." I just want to be rich enough so that my children don't have to struggle or feel left out, so of course hearing this didn't exactly make me happy. It was at the time where if your grades improved, it wouldn't matter because colleges would never see them, so that only made things worse. Now that I look back I'm sort of glad he told me so bluntly; I'd rather feel bad now than be disappointed in the future (when it really is too late). My dreams haven't changed, but I'll have to change myself if I want them to come true.

Silhouette
July 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah. I often hear "Haven't you heard the stories on the news?" when I say I want to be a pilot. Most of my family is doubtful of me, because apparently I lack motivation. But I hope it'll happen someday.

Ayselipera
July 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well my dream is that I will never have to work and just do what I please for the rest of my life. I really doubt that though...

Idiot!
July 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
After I die, I shall ask God questions nobody else knows the true answer to. And get the correct answers, of course

s0nido
July 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Uh...I had a dream that I wanted to be a Pokemon trainer once?
Nope, I haven't had any unrealistic dreams, but I do have some dreams that'll probably never happen, such as owning and running a lucrative business in the IT industry and overtaking Microsoft Windows as the main operating system and working together with my attractive and intelligent wife to achieve that goal.

Yeah, pretty unrealistic, huh? Currently, I really want to be a doctor, and when school resumes in a few days, I'm going to study as hard as I can to achieve that goal and get into medicine.

Netto Azure
July 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
You know what my current dreams are/

I've cut back to basically finishing High School and Going to a good College/University.
I also want to be a Physician, but I'm keeping my options open. ^_^

Michii
July 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
No, I do not have any unrealistic dreams. I believe that if you can dream something for your future, then it's achievable. Well, in a certain aspect. If I dream that I can bring back the dead and fly in the air with my zombies, making tacos appear out of my pocket, I doubt it'll happen.

But my dream is to go to Harvard or Princeton and soonafter get an extremely high paying job. I'll meet my HOT husband and marry a after a couple years of dating. We'll move to the suburbs together, have some children, and live happily ever after. :3

True Reign
July 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
All my life, I figured that I don't want to be a boring, average person that only goes down in history in a small news article saying 'MAN/WOMAN SAVES BABY'. Sure that's an achievement for saving someone's life, but I want to be so much more which is why I put my dreams as the highest position a human being can become.

The President of a country. I figured that going to an Ivy League university, study law, become a district attorney, eventually a governor of a state, and after that, the President would be a great achievement. ;D

i'm a bubble. pop me.
July 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I don't have unrealistic dreams. I want to have a good job, travel and have a good time^^ I don't really think about the future that much... though i think it's important to have dreams - it's a thing that keeps us going :)

Alinthea
July 11th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't call mine dreams, more my goal's in life.
Some people could say they are the same, but still.

To work in a well known games developing company.
Sony is where I would love to work.

Yes, I am doing a games course at University XD

Sammi
July 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
My dream's to get my stories published, and to have even just a few fans that like it just as much as I do. It's kind of lonely, liking stories that no one else has read yet. Yeah, I know, partially my fault for not letting people read it, but it's really crappy right now, and not completely finished. Ideally I'd be extremely popular someday but hell, at this rate, I'd be happy with a small fanbase. Just as long as someone reads and enjoys. ;_;

I don't think it's impossible if I actually work at it (I'm close to finishing my first drafts, so I can finally focus on editing)... it's just improbable at the rate I'm going right now. I reaaaaally need to work on my prose.