PDA

View Full Version : Yellowed computer? Restore its color

twocows
July 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Making the solution (http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel)
Applying the solution (http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright)

This will remove the ugly yellow coloring that appears on most old plastic parts for computers. Worked great on the old Mac I tried it on. Watch your hands, though; H2O2 is a bit rough.

Pazuzu
July 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Who still has such plastic parts? You can buy new keyboards for what the ingrediants cost, lol.

twocows
July 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Who still has such plastic parts? You can buy new keyboards for what the ingrediants cost, lol.
One of my hobbies is trying to make old computers usable, so I have quite a few of them that are yellowed. It'll be nice to restore their original color.

.little monster
July 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
People who still have old computers.

Thank you for posting this, I have an old computer which has yellowed and I am trying to sell it for parts.

Mitchman
July 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
My screen is from 1999. Don't diss the beige! And wow this was really helpful.

Archer
July 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Eh, this seems like far too much effort, unless it's a hobby. I have had computers yellow, though, but generally, the tower's the only part that's expensive to replace (and maybe the screen) and that usually stays hidden.

Have you got any restoration projects you could show us or tell us about?

Cassino
July 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Cool. I was long wondering if there was a way to get it back to white; though personally I like the yellowing so this isn't something I'll do.

Who still has such plastic parts?
Whoever knows it's not actually necessary to replace cases.

twocows
July 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Eh, this seems like far too much effort, unless it's a hobby. I have had computers yellow, though, but generally, the tower's the only part that's expensive to replace (and maybe the screen) and that usually stays hidden.

Have you got any restoration projects you could show us or tell us about?
There are some on the site I linked, but I can't show you any of mine because I don't have a camera or cell phone.

Nitrous Oxide
July 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I should do this on my SNES.

Eureka1
July 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I should do this for my SNES too. And to make my white Saturn shine. :D And I guess my Dreamcast could do with a tiny bit too.