PDA

View Full Version : Cleartype and Wine

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
If anyone uses WINE through linux, can they tell me if they have managed to get Cleartype working? Obviously, MS Office is unusable until then.

Okay, it's partially working. Details in post #7 (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4844486&postcount=7)

I don't want any smart-arse replies if you're not helping me solve this.

Pazuzu
July 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Giving Google a try doesn't always result in the worst results you know? :P

This could be something for you, mainly posts 8 and 9:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=859789

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I appreciate the help but I've already looked into those solutions to no avail, I just wondered if anyone here had first hand experience with the issue.

I've looked around extensively, so guys, please don't refer me to other google searches.

Zet
July 11th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Have you tried using another Office program, like OpenOffice?

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Have you tried using another Office program, like OpenOffice?
Yes, I've got that, but there's certain things I just need Windows programs for. I'm not looking for an alternative, I'm looking for a way to enable cleartype with Wine.

Pazuzu
July 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM
What version of Office do you even try to use? It's not 2007 is it?

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Yes, and I've managed to get anti-aliasing up, it just doesn't work with Office fonts. Any ideas?

Okay, I've the fonts working except for several fonts, including Calibri and Cambria in Office (2007). This is still an issue.

I have those fonts working for the rest of Ubuntu, by doing the following:

Add this to fonts.conf
<match target="font" >
<edit name="embeddedbitmap" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

It hasn't carried over into Office, though.

Help?

Bianca Paragon
July 11th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Step 1: Insert your Microsoft Windows Vista DVD
Step 2: Install Microsoft Windows Vista
Step 3: Install Microsoft Office 2007

Or, you know - use OpenOffice (isn't it supposed to be able to deal with all MS formats?) or something that's made for Linux.

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Step 1: Insert your Microsoft Windows Vista DVD
Step 2: Install Microsoft Windows Vista
Step 3: Install Microsoft Office 2007

Or, you know - use OpenOffice or something that's made for Linux.

I don't want any smart-arse replies if you're not helping me solve this.

Come on. I can see your reasoning, but I still want to get this working. I do use OpenOffice, but there's certain things I need MSO for. I appreciate the elegant formatting, though. Don't worry, I'll let the Ubuntu Forums members work it out. Ta.

Zet
July 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I gotta ask: What can MSO do that OO can't do?

from what I've seen they both can do the same thing, MSO just looks prettier :3

Archer
July 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM
MSO is better, I'm sad to say.

The templates for 07 are brilliant, I'm more familiar with the layout, Autocorrect makes more logical decisions.

To be honest, I don't want to discuss what to use, I just want to solve a font rendering issue.

BananasGoMoo
July 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
get virtualbox and install a windows OS onto the virtualbox, then run it in seamless mode.

Archer
July 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
get virtualbox and install a windows OS onto the virtualbox, then run it in seamless mode.
I guess that's a reasonable option. You've been the most helpful person. Thanks.

Does XP work with seamless, though? I'd rather use that for a VM than 7.

twocows
July 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I guess that's a reasonable option. You've been the most helpful person. Thanks.

Does XP work with seamless, though? I'd rather use that for a VM than 7.
It probably works better. VirtualBox is run by Sun, so they'll probably have better support for slightly older OSes.

Archer
July 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
It probably works better. VirtualBox is run by Sun, so they'll probably have better support for slightly older OSes.
I had no problems with Windows 7 on a VM in the past, but XP is lighter, etc, so I'll go with that.

I'll give this a whirl when I get the chance.