PDA

View Full Version : Act your age not your shoe size!

stranger
July 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
So do you feel mature for your age?
Do people say you are? Or are you forever to be a kid?
How mature do you feel? :D

Mitchman
July 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I feel how I am supposed to feel a 16 wild teenager wanting everything from love to friends and women to stuff. But people say I act like an adult cause of all my responsibilities.

Graceful
July 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Me? I'm still quite childish as,my mum and dad don't treat me as a teenager! They give me a happy meal in mc donalds STILL!

Alexithymia~
July 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm rather childish and fickle at times.
I've joined many clubs to leave weeks after.

Apparently, my writing is a lot more mature than the average person of my age.

Amaruuk
July 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Though my emotions still need work, I consider myself to be mature for my age. It's a rare case indeed to find a 20-year-old college student who's responsible and cares about her education and career, not partying and blowing off class and generally having the 'this is pointless so I'm not doing it' attitude. I hate that.

I was hated in high school 'cause I was about the only one that wanted to learn, not goof off and run around making inappropriate jokes and disrespecting people and disrupting class. Teenagers are monsters. I'm glad I skipped that stage.

Vintage Arachnid
July 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Actually my age IS my shoe size.

I act mature, and goofy/immature depending on my surroundings. If I'm with my friends of course I'm going to act immature, but if I'm around adults, my parent, etc I'm going act mature because I don't want to embarrass myself, but I love acting immature.

JoltIce
July 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm extremely mature for my age. I am the only person I know of that cares about school and thinks it's important. I hate school, but I do think I need to go through it. I don't like parties and everything like that, I have neat grammar (which is rare on the internet) and I like to read. That is why I have few friends though.

stranger
July 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Okay i'm gonna first make a kinda funny point that involves one of my friends as well as answer my own thread :P

When my friend who is 6"4 was 13 his shoe size was also 13 so we always made that joke 'Act your age not your shoe size!' xD

And my second and main point is that i think i'm mature in some ways and in others i do act my own age. I'm definately more mature then my friends when it comes to the opposite gender and what not.. They're a bit obsessive sometimes.
I think you can be mature if you try. It's all in your mind set. If you think you should be mature than you can be. It's all about sucking it up. Though immaturity can be caused by someone trying to cover something up. They might be trying to cover something up deep dpwn which they don't want to face and they use they're immaturity almost like a defence. A bit like the way some bullies are upset about something and they pick on other people to hide it.

Maturity isn't all about growing up. I know people who have experianced more in their 15 year old life than some 80 year olds and they are as mature and wise. It's certainly something to do with your lifestyle and not their personality.

So what i'm trying to say maturity goes a lot deeper than personality

dotKarma
July 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I feel I'm mature for my age. My parents say I am, so I must be.

I agree with GavZ. Maturity isn't just your personality. It's more complicated than that. It sure is hard to explain, though.

True Reign
July 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I guess I'm mature at some points, but at others I can be quite childish.

Big Japan
July 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
People say I'm pretty mature for my age, and I guess I'd have to agree. Though I can get pretty crazy at times. ;)

Miss Soupy
July 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've been told that I can be quite mature for my age, but I must say my opinion of that differs. Yet in the end, I think it all boils down to your own definition of what mature really is. Is mature someone that can care for themselves (cook, clean, ect.)? Is mature someone with a calm and collected personality? Perhaps it relies on what one has experienced in their lifetime? Or maybe even a mixture of all of that?

Ehhh, what was I getting at again? Bah, even I don't know. e_____e

But I agree with GavZ. Some experiences can make your mind grow up faster, while others can keep one's mind in a more childish state.

Beelzebub
July 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm not mature. At all. I'm really childish, and, I like to act that way, most of the time. ;3;

Amaruuk
July 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I don't agree that someone can experience 'more' in 15 years than someone else in 80, as it doesn't matter what the experiences are or whether they help you grow or not, 80 years of life is a lot more than 15.

I will say that there are those who are older that definitely lack maturity, like my mom for instance. She's 54, but she acts more like she's 5. Between the two of us, I'm the adult.

Camisado
July 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I am apparently mature (and sometimes too careful etc.) because I'm in work, and all my friends are at uni piddling their money away on rubbish.

I have a lot of responsibility at work, I guess that helps.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I act my age when its necessary to do so, but if I'm with my friends or bored I'm not going to act my age

:t354:TG

Alinthea
July 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think I am mature, though I can act like an infant at times.

Spearow
July 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I like to think that I am increasingly learning how to put others before myself, which I think is the main hallmark of maturity

on the other hand I also play Pokémon and argue w/ people on the internet but imo being goofy on occasion and taking pleasure in "childish" pursuits =/= immaturity, necessarily.

Guillermo
July 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm apparently mature and smart for my age according to people I talk to, but meh. I can be childish and mature. I'm a mix. :[

Dukey
July 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I guess I'm mature at some points, but at others I can be quite childish.

Yeah I'll just completely copy Mage XD

Masara
July 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Most of the time Nen thinks she acts more like her shoe size than her actual age. I find myself to be spazzy, naive, and very gullible, especially in real life. xD; However, people tend to say the opposite about me, so I'm not really sure which one's true.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
July 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Most people find me smart to the point of being annoying. I do however, act more mature for my age. Try to guess how old I am. XD

Amaruuk
July 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
imo being goofy on occasion and taking pleasure in "childish" pursuits =/= immaturity, necessarily.
I agree. I can definitely be silly and enjoy 'childish' things. One can be mature but still have a child's heart and be able to have fun. :3

>Feelings<
July 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
So do you feel mature for your age?

It depends on your definition of maturity. But yeah, like most people are gonna say about themselves, I feel I'm mature even in terms of my personality..

Do people say you are? Or are you forever to be a kid?

Some say I am. Most of the others don't even care to talk to a boring and unexciting person like me.

How mature do you feel? :D
As mature as mature can get. In only a few aspects though, I know I want to get better.

*Nayz*
July 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
It's a rare case indeed to find a 20-year-old college student who's responsible and cares about her education and career, not partying and blowing off class and generally having the 'this is pointless so I'm not doing it' attitude. I hate that.

Well, she pretty much explained my thoughts on this. Many my age think acting our age means drinking, partying, etc etc. I'll pass. I have better/more important things to worry about.

Gunn
July 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I don't even know what "acting your age" means. I never knew that there were standards set for peoples ages. I'm just me; an individual.

Azonic
July 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I can be mature when I want to be. :[ Buuut, the real me is pretty goofy and childish. XD

Ibuberu
July 12th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I'm usually considered the most childish/crazy one amongst my friends in school. But I'm also the Chairperson of a club there, so in front of my friends, I'm pretty much immature and playful. Infront of the club members/juniors, I pretty much lock away that part of myself most of the time. If you aren't mature enough, you can't lead, I think. Oh, and apparently some of the younger members are afraid of me .__.;

But its totally not fun being mature all the time imo :0 We should let our kiddy side take over all the time sometimes :3

Tinhead Bruce
July 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Well... that phrase doesn't quite work for me. Currently I'm 15 and I wear a size 15, so....

I mean, I do act my age. I make inappropriate sexual gestures, and do many foolish things with my friends. I feel that that is acting my age, as everyone I know my age does those kind of things. However, I feel that I can be mature at times as well. It really just depends, as I don't think anyone is always a certain level of maturity.

Netto Azure
July 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Sometimes people say I am. But I'll wait until I actually am in College. XD

Giraffles <3
July 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm not mature at all, I never placed any value on maturity because most people who I know are to mature aren't having any fun :3. I can be mature if I choose to, but I don't think i'll ever choose to.

Anxiety.
July 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yes. I am mature for my age. I find people my own age annoying, for starters. I don't enjoy things I should for my age, Hannah Montana and Twilight are perfect examples of this. Apparently people my age should love them, I can't stand them at all.

At the same time, I'm immature, not childish, but immature, if that makes sense.

Kazukii
July 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I certainly think I'm mature online, offline hmm I'm not so sure :P

Gymnotide
July 12th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I don't even know what "acting your age" means. I never knew that there were standards set for peoples ages. I'm just me; an individual.

I was going to actually post something in this thread, but then I saw this post.

Ayano Katagiri
July 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
What about those people who have large feet?

Acting my age? I believe I act more mature than my age and other people say that as well. Though there's nothing wrong with acting immature from time to time.

Master Terrador
July 13th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Sometimes...I Act Like a 17 Year Old...:P

But Mostly...I'll Act my age...Especially towards my superiors, Parents, and customers...And thats all...everyone else I I'll Act whichever way I feel...Its my nature...:P

But of my friends IRL...I'm The Mature one...Everyone else acts like their 17...(I'll Occasionally join in though...:P)

daigonite
July 13th, 2009, 04:20 AM
People often assume I'm older than I am because I tend to act more mature than others my age. Mainly because those others are complete idiots, and there's not much to compare with around my area :\

Amaruuk
July 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not mature at all, I never placed any value on maturity because most people who I know are to mature aren't having any fun :3. I can be mature if I choose to, but I don't think i'll ever choose to.
I think this is the problem with a lot of kids these days. They think maturity = never having fun. Huge misconception there. I have plenty of fun. I play games, joke around, have adventures, daydream, etc. and I'm quite mature. There is no such thing as 'too mature'.

Maturity is knowing and doing what's appropriate when it's appropriate. If you're at work or school, you should take it seriously, act professionally and be responsible. If you're hanging with friends, you should have fun and cut loose, so long as you aren't doing anything stupid, dangerous, or unlawful.

.little monster
July 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I am very mature sometimes, very immature other times. In the middle at others. So I have no idea where I stand. o.o

ShadowLeader
July 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I look, feel, and act mature. Sometimes:D

Most people do mistake me for someone in his early twenties or late teens, but that is based mostly off of appearance. I hear from a lot of people that I am really mature, but for all I know they could just be saying that.

Fernando
July 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
People always say I'm mature,and I guess I can agree but sometimes I'll be a little crazy which is rare :p

sanny the hedgehog
July 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
welll...... i've been know to be very immature, but i am really mature when i feel like it.
but i really just act immature to be funny around my friends.

Michii
July 13th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not mature for my age. I have many views and opinions from a child's standpoint and think irrationally. I still verbally speak like a young kid and get hyper like an eight year old. I also have innocence that everyone my age lacks. It's ok though; I'm fine with being immature. It's the way I am and I'll mature at my own rate.

Rokusasu
July 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I am extremely immature for my age- I think this is partly because I don't look eighteen. XD Though I wouldn't say I act my shoe size (I'm a UK 4 XD), just four or five years younger than I should. I'm not into drinking/partying, and still get extremely hyper when I have too much sugar to eat. D;

Lynnx
July 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I guess I do consider myself pretty mature for my age, or at least based on everyone else around me. Still, there are a ton of people who are considerably more mature than I am. XD;;;

Le Krome
July 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I feel mature for my knowledge banks, but I act really immature. Immature pranks/attitude and all.

Spearow
July 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I feel mature for my knowledge banks

this made me lol and i'm not quite sure why.

In other news, I think maturity is an attractive quality and I'm not sure why some people in this thread don't seem to think so? There are nice things about interacting with children but it is unpleasant to be around someone who acts completely juvenile all the time. Key word being "acts". The worst is when they just put on a show of being stupid/spoiled for the sake of attention, or to play cute.

Melody
July 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I am pretty mature for the most part. I do tend to have a playful and childish side, but I generally don't let that run off with me. I enjoy childish things here and there, but I really don't do anything that's really immature.

Some people say I'm a bit stiff, but that's just part of who I am.

Sora
July 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
How I act really just depends. Sometimes I act my age, sometimes I act older, and then sometimes (when I'm usually hanging with my sister), I act so much younger. I guess it all depends on who I'm with, and who sees me doing what. My mom says I'm mature for my age, but seeing how I sometimes act in my house, I don't know. xD; Maybe when it comes to real life situations, and when I'm not playing around I am.

Åzurε
July 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I suppose I kinda go back and forth. I'll be a respectful, law-abiding citizen of the world one week, and get hyper, sarcastic, or just defiant the next. I try to remain the former, though. Out in public, especially, I'll try to keep up a good image.

ShinjisLover
July 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
People have told me I'm more mature than most people my age. But they've never seen me act childish. . >.> XD

Citrinin
July 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I would love the opportunity to be truly mature. But right now, acting my age to many of the people around me is basically acting like an idiot, while being mature to most of the adults around me is shutting up and obeying commands blindly. :|

It's annoying, really.

Adventure
July 15th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty mature. Inside. But I act really immature :3 Because. Things are easier that way.

Limey-chan
July 15th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Actually my age IS my shoe size.

I wish this poll had been created about 2 years ago, cos then (Had I been a member, of course) I could have gave that as an answer =( Curse the aging process ¬_¬

But yes, I suppose like most people for me it depends on the circumstances. When needs be I can be mature (Hard to believe, I know), but most of the time I act like an ass around my friends. Actually, i'd say i'm worse online than in real life for acting immature xD

Bear
July 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I agree, the circumstances determine most of it. I like acting like an idiot around certain friends and they do as well. But around family I slow down and am more thoughtful.

Forever
July 15th, 2009, 05:36 AM
... PC members don't consider me mature, but to people in real life... um, adults I don't know (since the ones I know think I'm crazy), uh, I act mature. :3

:3
July 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Ugh, I'm always getting told to grow up.
When the time calls to be serious, i can be.

Gumball Watterson
July 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Sometimes I'm 25, sometimes I'm 5, sometimes I'm i years old! (Math joke*shot*)

Yeah, some have said I am too mature and others view me as immature. Very very random. Probably depends on the weather.

Vampire://Krimm
July 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
For the longest time I used to fool people online about my actual age XD I'm mostly known by people to be mature, and sadly it rarely goes away ._. I prefer to befriend and associate myself with adults rather than kids my own age, mostly because I tend to see them as hopeless cases XD

Amaruuk
July 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I prefer to befriend and associate myself with adults rather than kids my own age, mostly because I tend to see them as hopeless cases XD
As a general rule, I'm like this. Growing up I was friends with all the teachers and other adults, and none of the kids wanted anything to do with me. The adults thought I was respectable and brilliant, while the kids just didn't think I was 'one of them' since I had no interest in their crude ways, and for the longest time, was too naive to understand most of their humor. Kids sicken me sometimes. I hate to say this again, but often times kids and teens of today chip away at my faith in humanity. Looking back, there are some ways in which I'm glad I was an outcast, if you set aside the negative effects it had on my self-esteem, that is.

Nowadays, I don't really know who I associate with in general. I still don't fit in with my own age group, I still relate better with teachers/older adults, but I also have my teenage friends online. It's all kind of gotten a bit ambiguous, I think.

Sarcastic Prince
July 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I do act up my age, but I wouldn't say that I'm that mature. Well, others say that I am a little mature, etc. Well, I just don't really know.

bewbs
July 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'm a seven year old trapped in a 17 year old's body - that's my excuse.

OokamiShipper
July 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Dunno, I'm somewhat childish, butI've been told that I'm really calm. I'm not sure if "calm" can be counted as mature, but...it works for me. ^^;