PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a bullet for your online friends?

Forever
July 12th, 2009, 03:27 AM
This question was referenced to in a conversation between two other people lately. This led to myself wondering if anybody actually would do such a thing if physically possible. (Assuming you met in real life and a gun was pointed at said person immediately.)

After thinking a lot about it, and hoping that such a situation would not occur, I figure I probably would. As much as I value my life, losing my friend's lives would be much worse in comparison. Dealing with time apart from my closer friends is sometimes hard enough but losing them when I could take such an action would forever haunt me. I'd rather lose my life than regret not having done something. Besides, I won't necessarily lose my life, the gun might mis-fire.

Avey
July 12th, 2009, 03:29 AM
It'd depend on why the gun was pointing at my friend, but assuming he was innocent, I'd jump in the way. I'd rather battle with a near-fatal injury or die than live with the guilt of watching someone innocent die when I could have stopped it.

Signomi
July 12th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Online friends or not, I cannot stand having anybody take the bullet in any circumstance whatsoever. People take for granted the impact of having someone's lights go out right in front of them and it's not the sort of thing I would ever allow anybody close to me to go through. I have friends and loved ones both online and offline, if there was ever a scenario (though unlikely) that would conclude with them caught in a moment of tension between a gunman and a firing bullet, then taking it myself to avoid them doing so themselves would...be something I can actually see myself doing.

Guillermo
July 12th, 2009, 03:36 AM
It'd depend on why the gun was pointing at my friend, but assuming he was innocent, I'd jump in the way. I'd rather battle with a near-fatal injury or die than live with the guilt of watching someone innocent die when I could have stopped it.

What the person did doesn't change the fact that (s)he's going to get the living daylights shot out of him/her.

As for me? If I could run fast enough to actually impact with the bullet instead of failing to do so and landing smack on the floor and staring up at my friend as (s)he's shot, then I wouldn't even think twice about it. I'd probably take a bullet for just anyone in general too, since I wouldn't be able to let myself just stand there and watch them get shot knowing I could do something about it.

Alinthea
July 12th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Only for my main man!
Spey!

.Ozymandias
July 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM
One or two of them, yes, I would. RL friends for sure, too.

.Wolfie-kun.
July 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM
A couple of my online friends I would definitely depending on the situation. Same goes for RL friends I suppose, only a certain amount of people matter to me more than others.

Azonic
July 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
What the person did doesn't change the fact that (s)he's going to get the living daylights shot out of him/her.
It changes if they "deserve" it or not, obviously.

And no I wouldn't, to be honest. I don't value my online friends as much as my friends in real life or my family. To take a bullet would need a lot of courage, and obviously they would have to be significant enough in your life for you to even want to do it. I just... don't see online friends as having that much significance in my life for me to take a bullet for them.

Cheesymitten
July 12th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Yeash, i would save the lives of 3/4 of my friends...
I'd try and save the others, but i probably wouldn't survive for already taking the impact of three or four...

Gold warehouse
July 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't take a bullet for anyone, not for friends or family.
I would try and get my revenge on the gunman though.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I would for my close close friends, but for friends online (like here) never

:t354:TG

True Reign
July 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Does it matter who it is? I would always jump in front of a gun when it is pointed at an innocent person.

Alinthea
July 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Does it matter who it is? I would always jump in front of a gun when it is pointed at an innocent person.
I am sorry.
But I think that is a lie.
I know this is just a topic you make people seem braver than they are, but no you wouldn't.

If someone pointed a gun at a complete stranger, you would not run in front of it.
You would run the other way.
I am not blaming you, I would.

As harsh as it is, I consider my life more important to me, than someone random.

Fox♠
July 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I am sorry.
I know this is just a topic you make people seem braver than they are, but no you wouldn't.

If someone pointed a gun at a complete stranger, you would not run in front of it.

As harsh as it is, I consider my life more important to me, than someone random.

I agree to a large extent, however it depends on circumstances, if I felt my life was in immediate danger, and that the only thing to help i could do is get myself killed, i'd run. However if it was say, a mother with her children, or a young teen and I felt I stood a chance at really making a difference in their situation, I'd consider taking the shot.

As for my online friends, I would for a few of them, Alinthea being one of them hahahaha.

Alinthea
July 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I agree to a large extent, however it depends on circumstances, if I felt my life was in immediate danger, and that the only thing to help i could do is get myself killed, i'd run. However if it was say, a mother with her children, or a young teen and I felt I stood a chance at really making a difference in their situation, I'd consider taking the shot.

As for my online friends, I would for a few of them, Alinthea being one of them hahahaha.
Love you Fox ;)

Yes, it would depend.
But, for me, 9 times out of 10, I would run as fast as I could. I like my life! XD

Mitchman
July 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Yes most likely. But would I risk my life for my main pal Netto? Gotta think it over...

Gumball Watterson
July 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I have no true close friends IRL or online anymore. So I guess it would be walking away to play Guitar Hero? :\

Cassino
July 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I'd let them take it. I know how to give first aid for gunshot wounds.
If it goes the other way around, I don't think any of my friends know what I do, so there's a higher chance of one of us dying.

In all honesty though, I'm more likely to draw a gun on the gunman myself.

~MagmortaЯ~
July 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Online friends or not, I cannot stand having anybody take the bullet in any circumstance whatsoever. People take for granted the impact of having someone's lights go out right in front of them and it's not the sort of thing I would ever allow anybody close to me to go through. I have friends and loved ones both online and offline, if there was ever a scenario (though unlikely) that would conclude with them caught in a moment of tension between a gunman and a firing bullet, then taking it myself to avoid them doing so themselves would...be something I can actually see myself doing.

I agree ^^
im just that kinda person

Ayano Hana
July 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Since I'm the type of person who wouldn't want anyone to take a bullet, friends or just random people, the answer is yes. I would take the bullet for my online friends.

Anxiety.
July 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I would like to say that I would. But, I probably wouldn't. Not that I want to see them die, don't get me wrong, I'm not that mean.

But, I think I'd just freeze up and regret it for the rest of my life.

Miss Soupy
July 12th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I have the slight suspicion that even if I tried to take the bullet, some of them would push me out of the way to prevent me from taking it. >____> That said, I'd still try to take the bullet. There are some internet friends I've known for a really long time, and I couldn't live with myself if they were taken from me because I didn't at least attempt to help.

In other cases? I'd probably hyperventilate while trying to figure out what to do.

Avey
July 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I am sorry.

What? You might run away; that doesn't dictate the separate actions of everybody else in the world. This topic isn't about courage, it's about how much you care for some people and how much you do for them when you think it's right.

To be really honest, I don't think you can answer questions regarding situations like these. You can say what you hope you'll be able to do, but you don't know what you will do until you're thrown into a position like the one we're discussing. But that doesn't make any of the people who posted here liars.

Kazukii
July 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
For one person.. very possibly. For most people, no.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
July 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Depends on several things:

Closeness of said friend.
Are they going to get shot anyway, and me getting shot only delays it?
Is there another possible solution, or am I 100% for sure getting shot?
Is this bullet going to kill me?

So, if the friend is a close friend, then maybe. If they're going to get shot either way? No. No need for 2 dead bodies. If I had a chance to, say, draw their fire while my friend escapes, while still potentially escaping? Sure, why not. Am I just getting shot it like- a leg? I could deal with that. Although, if them getting shot isn't life-threatening, then... well, they can deal with that too, and I'll just go get help or something.

Fatal shot that will save them... hm... I dunno. I'd have to say probably not. I might try to shove them out of the way, though.

Giraffles <3
July 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I don't really have any at the moment, but i'd pretty much take a bullet for anyone, i've always loved the thought of dieing in an effort to protect someone :3.

.little monster
July 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Only like..two of them. Those two are better than me in every way, and they deserve to live to be worshiped as gods! >:3

No but in all seriousness, I would for two of them because I e-love-in-friendship-way them. :3

Anxiety.
July 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Now, you see. The problem with this is, people are going to make themselves sound brave and say they would. In reality, not many people would have the guts too. They'd want to, but not be able to.

bit.trip void
July 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I might for a few of my really close friends, but not everyone.

Vintage Arachnid
July 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm gonna be truthful, most likely not. Sorry, I'm just not the one for pain. Besides all of my online friends aren't close, or they've drifted away from me.

Rokusasu
July 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
My old online buddies and I aren't so close any more. :( To be honest, there're only one or two people who I would take a bullet for, and they're in my immediate family- I love 'em to bits and couldn't live without them. XD So yeah, I think I'd act like most other human beings and run/ freeze on the spot if it were an online friend.

World King
July 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Only about 3 or 5 people I consider close to me enough - and who I can't live without - for me to do so. But the rest, meh...

Le Krome
July 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Only if they are innocent/undeserving.

.Seth
July 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
For a few of them. Not for all though.

Sublime
July 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
To be honest, I can only think of three I would take a bullet for.
The rest, no. I mean, I care about them a hell of a lot more than a lot of RL people, but I can't see myself taking a bullet for them.
Now, taking a fight for them? Hell yea.

Mariah Carey
July 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
To be honest, no. It's like asking me (my choice) to take a bullet for a celebrity, heck no. I'm just simply to selfish to do so, sadly.

Dawson
July 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I bet 90% of the people who answered "yes" have never been confronted with any kind of danger.

I've never had a gun pointed at me, but my friends and I were set upon by a group of dudes wielding knives once. And the primary thought in your head is, "****, I'm gonna die if I don't do something." It is not, "I don't care about myself, I'll sacrifice my own life for my friend."

Selfish or not, it's natural survival instinct. It's only after you've secured your own safety, and you've had time to calm yourself, that you can then even contemplate risking your life for someone else.

So, no, I wouldn't take a bullet for an online friend. There are only a couple of people in the entire world that I'd even consider giving my life for.

derozio
July 13th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I may do it for anybody(If innocent).If the person is innocent then there is no point in thinking about it. I will do it.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
July 13th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I'd like to say I would, but I doubt it. I'd probably be more likely to try and sneak up behind the gunman and stick a knife in his back.

Is that a noble thing to do? Probably not, but it works :D

Aurafire
July 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
It's honorable that people say they would take a bullet for their friends, and I'd like to say the same thing, but there's a huge difference between saying you'd do it and actually doing it. If one were actually presented with the opportunity to sacrifice themselves for someone else, I don't think anyone can be totally sure that they would actually go through with it.

So as for the actual question, I have no idea. It really depends on the situation. I can't be sure how I'd react. But I would imagine that I'd do what most people would do and value my own life over others. While it may seem selfish, it's only human nature in its most basic form. This goes for my real-life friends and online friends. Choosing not to take a bullet for someone doesn't mean you don't care deeply for them...it just makes you rational.

ShadowLeader
July 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM
It's easy to just answer this question "yes" or "no", give some reason as to why they are or aren't so important to you, and add to your postcount. But the truth is, this question simply cannot be answered.

I value my friends like gold, online or not. But until the day comes that a gun is pointed at one of them, and you are faced with that decision. And it's not much of a decision, simply a reaction. There is no time to think, your first instinct is what you will follow. Whether you boldly jump in to protect your friend, freak out and dive on the ground, or simply stand there, frozen, there is no time to think, and whatever you true character is will show. Really, it's just one of those things that you don't know the answer to until it happens.

Do I believe that I would sacrifice myself for one of my friends? Of course I do. But whether or not that is true, I hope to never ever have to find out.

Cazzicles
July 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
For one person, I would. =)

Fernando
July 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yes, I would take a bullet for anyone including my best (online) friends

Gummy
July 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Assuming this bullet will kill me, I'm sorry but no. I love my online friends more than most of my RL friends, but there are very few people I'd die for namely my niece and nephew, as they haven't really experienced the joys of life). I'd definitely fight for them, though.

Cheesymitten
July 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Now, you see. The problem with this is, people are going to make themselves sound brave and say they would. In reality, not many people would have the guts too. They'd want to, but not be able to.
I'm not so sure.
Many people can be great friends over the internet, whether or not they know them in real life. Yes many people would stop and stare, but if people get to know other people a bit more i'm sure around 6/10 of the people here would take the bullet.

Xashlei
July 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'd like to say I would, but I'm not certain. See, there's this habit of mine of freezing in my tracks when faced with a dangerous situation. One time even in dodgeball, and yeah, I lost. There's also the natural instinct of all living beings to value their own survival over others.

Let's see... when it comes to online friends: there are a few online friends of mine who listen to me as I rant, even if they have no idea what topic I'm speaking of. When I'm crying over IRL things, they listen and try to cheer me up, or harshly tell me that things could be worse like me not having an internet connection, barely getting food and clean water to drink, then begging on the streets or gathering bottles without an education (well, sharp but it works don't it?) We even share 'fandoms', and for one or two we have fun parties (as in 'team plays') on MMO's. Their eternal absences would make a large part of me die. Most of my closer friends IRL have migrated or moved away. The people in my class right now will likely get over my death less than a week. I've been a stranger to most, even to those I've known for about 7 years now. My social life... really needs a kick. *cough* Anyway...

The question is would it be okay for them if I died? What if they'd rather let me live? Then while we're disagreeing, we both get shot. Lmao, everyone loses.;;

piece of something
July 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
i have had a gun pointed at me before and i can say with 100% certainty that i am more likely to take a bog in my pants than a bullet for anybody. if you asked me what the word 'sacrifice' meant at that instance i could not even tell you what letter it started with let alone what it meant haha. things like that can happen so fast and you really have no time whatsoever to assess the situation. after all one wrong move and you are literally dead. it is easy to say you are not afraid of death when it is not staring you right in the face. the only time i'd jump in front a bullet is if i'm sure i can survive the shot. however i am glad the majority of this thread is braver than i. :P

Hello, gentleman.
July 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Those of you saying you wouldn't want to see a friend die, therefore you'd take the bullet for them, are greedy. Because now your friend will have to see you die. That being said I'd let them get shot. :)

Game Over1375
July 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have very few online friends, and only a few of them I consider to be close.

I would only take a bullet for three of them.

Ayselipera
July 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think I'd take the bullet for anyone because I would think the gunmen would have more then one bullet on him. So after I jump infront and take the bullet the gunmen would probably proceed and shoot the person he was aiming for in the first place.

Alexithymia~
July 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I have a few great internet friends, and I'm pretty sure, that I'd jump in front of that bullet for them. I'd find life very hard afterwards, if they were dead and I'd find it harder if I knew that I had a chance to save them, and then didn't.

I'd regret it all my life.

Lily!
July 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I feel like it's something I'd do for anyone who I've met. I'd definitely do it for my online friends. If I don't I would feel regret for the rest of my life.
I'm not exactly sure why, but I'd take the bullet even for someone whom I dislike. I wouldn't do so for a random person whom I've never even met, however.
It's odd, and I'm not sure why I think that way.

Kinarii
July 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I feel like it's something I'd do for anyone who I've met. I'd definitely do it for my online friends. If I don't I would feel regret for the rest of my life.
I'm not exactly sure why, but I'd take the bullet even for someone whom I dislike. I wouldn't do so for a random person whom I've never even met, however.
It's odd, and I'm not sure why I think that way.

I'm the same way. People I know are valuable to me because I know them. Even those I don't like. I'd never dislike someone enough that I'd wish death upon them, so if I was in a situation like that, I'd even do it for enemies.

So yeah. For anyone who's made a mark on my life regardless of where from, I'd take a bullet.

シーツー
July 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
No, I wouldn't.
Not for online friends and not for rl friends because I think they wouldn't do that for me either. Even if it sounds sad lol.

Route 18
July 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I really don't see why I would do that for anyone, let alone a person I just met. Just think about it: life is very valuable, and to throw it away just like that would be just plain reckless. There's no point in throwing away your life for someone else and not being able to save others.

btw, how on Earth would a friend of mine end up in a situation like that? O.O

Eggie Poo Poo
July 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
That's really a hard question, now I say no because I really don't have THAT many close online friends, I mostly have friends in real life. The reason I said I'd say say no "NOW" is because if actually faced with the situation I'd probably take the bullet for them.

>Feelings<
July 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't exactly "take a bullet" for any online friends, specially for the two reasons that:
1. I'm not that close to any friend yet.
2. I value my life more than anything else, and as much selfish as it sounds, it is the true human nature in most cases...

But that said, I will not just stand and watch as a friend of mine, or anyone that I think is a good person, taking a bullet.
I'd definitely make them move away by force, or try to get the attention of the person trying to shoot and let the victim escape in the mean time, or do anything that would save them except for sacrificing my life.
There's more than one way to save someone, you know?

wee187
July 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yes, I would for some. Most definitely for Zhako, Lizzie, and SL-chan.

Anxiety.
July 17th, 2009, 04:49 AM
As I said, not for online friends. But I've thought about it.
There are five people that mean the world to me (Outside of my family). I would give my life for them anytime, my life would be ruined without them. I hold them very dear to my heart.
Those are, other than my family, the only people I would take a bullet for.

Five, out of all the people I know, all my friends, just five. They're lucky people I guess.

Saltare.
July 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Sorry guys, but no.

I'm not superman, I wouldn't take a bullet for people online

Patchisou Yutohru
July 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM
lolno. Being put in that situation, I sure as hell wouldn't save my life for a friend of mine. That's not to say that I don't care about them, but I value my life more than I do anything else in the world and on top of that situation, the death I fear the most is dying of a gunshot wound which is why a career in the military is not for me. Regardless of who it was pointed at, I would likely be taking my time fleeing. The only person in the world who I treasure their life more than my own was my mother's, but her life was cut short.

And if any one of my online friends were to take the bullet for me, regardless of the situation, I'd be sure to slap them in the back of the head (or a boot to the head, for that matter) the first time I'd see them. Then I'd proceed with calling them an idiot for doing so. So yeah, if any of my close online friends would ever do that for me, think again.

That's not to say I wouldn't feel any guilt for not doing anything after that situation has passed, though. I'm sure I'd be asking myself "why didn't I do anything?" over and over again for the rest of my life.

thedestinedblade
July 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Nah, I'm not that nice. ;D

Haza
July 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I wouldnt even take a bullet for my real friends. Im sorry but it is truth.

zappyspiker
July 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I would, I'd rather die than to see my friends die.

abnegation
July 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
If i share memories with them yes.
If i had a better chance of survival than they, yes.
I'd take a bullet for anyone i think has a lesser chance than me of surviving. Like women and younger people etc.
I think i'd cope with the pain well as i've had to endure a lot of physical pain throughout my life.
But i wouldn't jump in front of a bullet if it wasn't somewhat spontanious i mean i'm not gonna have this time to think..
I probably would though, my reflexes are sensitive.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I haven't really known them for long, but yea I still would.