PDA

View Full Version : Don't judge Texas

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Just because you see cowboy movies about texas doesn't mean that we are all cowboys
I've never even rode a horse
and all of the cowboy movies are NOT REAL,it's very demeaning.

.little monster
July 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Uh, thanks for the life lesson.

Edit: Weren't cowboys prominent to the South-west and not the Mid-west? Like..Southern California through New Mexico..? Some in Texas but not really a lot..?

Yamikarasu
July 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
That's the first prejudice that comes to your mind about Texans? Seriously?

Gumball Watterson
July 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Look kid. Don't be so prejudice. Most of the stereotypes are culture though not necessarily way of life. By what you said I could assume that the Corn Dog, the most f-ing delicious food around here (if you really know about it anyways, you take TX History kid or are you in private?), is Non-Texan. Are you sure you don't live in Arkansas?

wakachamo
July 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Just because you see cowboy movies about texas doesn't mean that we are all cowboys
I've never even rode a horse
and all of the cowboy movies are NOT REAL,it's very demeaning.

Thank-you Captain Obvious!

Are you now going to make a thread saying that not everybody in Alaska lives in a goddamn wooden cottage? Because we sure as hell didn't know that!

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thank-you Captain Obvious!

Are you now going to make a thread saying that not everybody in Alaska lives in a goddamn wooden cottage? Because we sure as hell didn't know that!

how did you know about that?

Harley Quinn
July 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
But...
Everything IS big in texas.

.little monster
July 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
But...
Everything IS big in texas.
That comes from the false belief that Texas is the biggest state, Alaska is. Another judgement of Texas1!!!!1!! D:<

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
actually lots of things are bigger in Texas
we have america's biggest ferris wheel

Stronkadonk
July 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Do y'all still have Sheriffs that draw their revolvers to play it fair in dumb ol' stupid Texas?
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/chicanorapmusic/spongebob.jpg

wakachamo
July 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
how did you know about that?

I'm Sarah Palin's daughter.

Papo
July 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm Sarah Palin's daughter.

!!!LMAO!!! :laugh: I got to hand it to ya, that was sooo halarious!!!

X-626
July 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
You know there are stereotypes for nearly every state, right? Have you heard some of the ones about Kentucky? They say that we are always barefooted, don't have technology (including plumbing), and marry our cousins. Does that mean that it's all true? No. There's a lot more than that, but you get the point. There are stereotypes for each country, too. You just have to ignore it all.

wakachamo
July 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
You know there are stereotypes for nearly every state, right? Have you heard some of the ones about Kentucky? They say that we are always barefooted, don't have technology (including plumbing), and marry our cousins. Does that mean that it's all true? No. There's a lot more than that, but you get the point. There are stereotypes for each country, too. You just have to ignore it all.

...so you don't marry your cousins?

Damn, dude. You didn't have to ruin my fantasy did you?

...wait.

Tyrantrum
July 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Stereotypes are SO stereotypical. :D

Sublime
July 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Florida is filled with old people and we all live at Disneyworld.
It's true.

Harley Quinn
July 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
That comes from the false belief that Texas is the biggest state, Alaska is. Another judgement of Texas1!!!!1!! D:<

Who wants to be Alaskan, honestly?

Edit: By the way, the French have done it with everyone.

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
but I'm still a virgin. :(

Tater Tot
July 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM

WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

...Um... your twelve. You should have just barely learned about that, not experienced it. Honestly. You're not even a teenager yet. Most folks wait until they're at least sixteen... well, in America. :[ Don't even start thinking about that, buddy. :l

Josephine
July 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
but I'm still a virgin. :(Ah, but do you have both your kidneys?

Harley Quinn
July 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Well then, not everything is big in Texas.

Stronkadonk
July 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
http://x10.xanga.com/1fe1557a64231108761125/z34853026.bmp

Sweet Smoochum
July 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
People say New Jersey smells bad and is full with mean people who never smile and they like to speed going 80 miles an hour on the highway and all the girls are skanks who all flirt with your boyfriend or husband, and the guys are always checking out other girls even when they are with their girlfriend.

Actually, it is EXACTLY like that in my town and the high school I went to, but in the next town over, the people there are nice. I'm nothing like the Jersey girl stereotype. I'm a nice girl. (Then again, I was born in Staten Island, New York. I'm still a virgin unlike practically every girl in my graduating class. I'm 19 btw.)

I honestly don't think that all stereotypes about states are true. I know people from Texas who don't even like country music. Everyone is different. Stereotypes are stupid things that people make up because they're too lazy to get to know a person or they were brought up with wrong viewpoints.

JoltIce
July 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM

I wish people didn't think that, I mean just because some lives in a different place doesn't mean they live so differently <_<

Oh wait, crap.

The Bringer!
July 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Who wants to be Alaskan, honestly?

ALASKA RULEZ!!!!111one!1eleventy!!111!11!11

Personally, I don't mind stereotypes in the least. Most people who say them don't even believe them, they can just be funny most of the time. Besides, you shouldn't even care what other people think. Hell, even I make fun of Alaskans with stereotypes and I live there.

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

...Um... your twelve. You should have just barely learned about that, not experienced it. Honestly. You're not even a teenager yet. Most folks wait until they're at least sixteen... well, in America. :[ Don't even start thinking about that, buddy. :l
who are you to judge you're only one
and you don't go to my school, if you did, you would know stuff you never knew before.0_o

Tyrantrum
July 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
People say New Jersey smells bad and is full with mean people who never smile and they like to speed going 80 miles an hour on the highway and all the girls are skanks who all flirt with your boyfriend or husband, and the guys are always checking out other girls even when they are with their girlfriend.
You got that mixed up. That's actually Arizona for ya. I would know, I live there. ;3

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've been to arizona and it's nothing like that

Gumball Watterson
July 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/images/profiles/0/0/0/0/0/0/5/5/7/profiles_facepalm_5831_325947_media.jpeg

I'd need therapy to pretend I never heard that from a 12 year old...

Before we go killing each other on state stereotypes and cause disaster, remember they are just stereotypes. What we learn because of Hollywood is 90% of the time fantasy, thus incorrect.

Also salamence33, one question: Can you tell me how Texas REALLY is if like the cowboy stereotype?

I mean, really, your school is rowdy, thus its not private, so I am assuming you have taken or are at least knowledgeable of Texas History?

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I live in Texas
and it has three of the biggest cities in the United states Houston, Dallas, and some other place
and houston is one of the music capitals of the USA next to Nashville

Gumball Watterson
July 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I live in Texas
and it has three of the biggest cities in the United states Houston, Dallas, and some other place
and houston is one of the music capitals of the USA next to Nashville

That's it? All you know is something you read and ripped off from Wiki? Baaad Texas :|

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I did not

in 3rd grade I had to do a report on tennessee
and there's the fact that I live in houston :l

Gumball Watterson
July 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I did not

in 3rd grade I had to do a report on tennessee
and there's the fact that I live in houston :l

And how does that excuse you from being educated with Texas History, supposing that you are 12 years old at least anyways.

Mr. X
July 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
So when was the last time you played cowbows and indians? I was kinda hopin you could save ma a spot at tha next game.

Anyway that aside.

In my state you know what the main sterotype is? The main one is that we marry our cousins.

And im not married to my cousin... but there was this one time when i was drunk...

Miss Soupy
July 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I don't really see much stereotyping. Yeah, I hear people think Texans talk with southern accents... but some do. Just not all. And the reason for the cowboy movies for OP;

The reason for all the western movies and such is because of the history regarding Texas and the cowhands. Back in the day when Texas didn't have railroads yet due to expenses right after the Civil War, there were cowboys hired to drive cattle up north to the railroads and cattle markets. These cowboys did brave many long months of dust storms and weather during the drives. So as years went by and the true cowboy disappeared, they almost became legends - if that's the right word - due to the stories surrounding them. Stories become distorted through the years, and that's where movies come in.

The irony of these movies, however, is that the majority of the cowboys in them don't have a thing to do with cattle drives- which was their original and true purpose. =p

tl;dr - It's for cash.

Sweet Smoochum
July 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
ALASKA RULEZ!!!!111one!1eleventy!!111!11!11

Personally, I don't mind stereotypes in the least. Most people who say them don't even believe them, they can just be funny most of the time. Besides, you shouldn't even care what other people think. Hell, even I make fun of Alaskans with stereotypes and I live there.

Is it true you kiss with your noses in Alaska? (I'm just kidding. Please don't be mad at me.)

To the person who made this thread, what gave you the idea to make this thread? Did someone on here call you a cowboy? Or ask you if you were into NASCAR-also known as "Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks" like some people think it is. I don't think that at all.) How is being called a "Cowboy" an insult?

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
And how does that excuse you from being educated with Texas History, supposing that you are 12 years old at least anyways.
because I go to a place called school
that's where I get an egimacation and get more smarticles

and to ^ when I went to florida I wore some shirts with Texas on them
and I heard little 4 year olds telling their moms "mommy is he from Texas, is he a cowboy?"

Ayselipera
July 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
When someone says Texas I don't think of Cowboys at all.
I think of hardcore republicans and oil.

And yes I know not everyone in Texas is a hardcore republican its just what comes to mind.

Gumball Watterson
July 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
because I go to a place called school
that's where I get an egimacation and get more smarticles

and to ^ when I went to florida I wore some shirts with Texas on them
and I heard little 4 year olds telling their moms "mommy is he from Texas, is he a cowboy?"
You go to school... And aren't you supposedly learning your History there? Your grammar sure doesn't make you sound "smarticles" considering Texas objectives enforce grammar and English in the 4th and 7th grade.

And please, even 4 year olds have logic. Just because you have a shirt with the Lone Star State doesn't mean little kids will think you are a cowboy. Especially if you lack the boots and hat and probably a cattle. Or are you enforcing that stereotype in Florida?

Lornami
July 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well then, not everything is big in Texas.

I literally laughed out loud. As in, I'm happy no one is home right now.

Anyways, yes, we know all Texans are not Cowboys.
Jokes are there because humor is the only thing that keeps us sane.

I'm from Arkansas and you don't see me whining about how everybody says we're rednecks. Even though in some places, like the area most of my extended family and my 2nd cousin on both sides lives, it really is like that. :D

No one but 4 year olds take those jokes really seriously.

salmence33
July 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I literally laughed out loud. As in, I'm happy no one is home right now.

Anyways, yes, we know all Texans are not Cowboys.
Jokes are there because humor is the only thing that keeps us sane.

I'm from Arkansas and you don't see me whining about how everybody says we're rednecks. Even though in some places, like the area most of my extended family and my 2nd cousin on both sides lives, it really is like that. :D

No one but 4 year olds take those jokes really seriously.
well it's demeaning

can some mod close this

The Amazing Scizor
July 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I feel compelled to add that there were plenty of cowboys in the Midwest. I live in Kansas City (Missouri), it's a cowtown. Literally, sometimes they drive cattle through the city. And they make statues of cows everywhere.

... Don't judge Missouri! DX

Gary, the Magic Fairy
July 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I live in Texas
and it has three of the biggest cities in the United states Houston, Dallas, and some other placeSan Antonio.

I live in Texas also. Fun fact: most of the people here are idiots, including myself. BUT THERE'S NOT ONE COWBOY!!1

btw, thanks for being such a great representative to our state. :3

Seriously, though, I think we should embrace our stereotypes. I mean, cowboys are awesome. People need to start riding horses again.

It's eco-friendly.

Harley Quinn
July 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
well it's demeaning

can some mod close this

Seriously, you made the thread about stereotypes and for people to stop degrading Texas. And then you randomly go on about your sex life (oh wait, what sex life) and your education and smarticles. Seriously, if you can't stand up for yourself, don't get on the internet.

BeachBoy
July 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Well this looks fun. o.o

well it's demeaning

can some mod close thisbingo!

locked.