PDA

View Full Version : Which Martial Arts do you train in?

You're Gonna Go Far Kid!
July 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I do Tae Kwon Do and i'm a yellow belt =)

Game Over1375
July 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I am a fourth degree black belt in Shotokan, first degree black belt in Tai Chi, and a second degree black belt in Judo.

A rather unique mix, wouldn't ya agree?

You must have just started in Toe Kwon Do. I wish you the best of luck!

Gary, the Magic Fairy
July 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
None for me. I prefer to fight using words. Hurting people's feelings is more fun.

Also, I've always found Martial Arts in general to be pretentious.

Esper
July 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I took aikido classes for half a year, but then I moved and that was the end of my martial arts training.

You're Gonna Go Far Kid!
July 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
None for me. I prefer to fight using words. Hurting people's feelings is more fun.

Also, I've always found Martial Arts in general to be pretentious.
>Also, I've always found Martial Arts in general to be pretentious.
>Martial Arts
>pretentious
What makes you think that?

Anxiety.
July 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Well, I don't do any right now. I used to do Kick Boxing, but I quit.
I plan to take another one up, I'm not sure what though.

.little monster
July 15th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I had a white belt in Tae Kwon Do like..5 years ago but I had to stop because we couldn't pay. :P Mom lost her job.

Bear
July 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Amen to that. >:I

As a sport I guess it's good exercise? But other than that it's ridiculous.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I've always wanted to do any type of Martial arts but my father said no, but my brothers were able to join it (sexist -.-")

:t354:TG

Gerri Shin
July 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
never did learn any martial arts, my first room mate in college was into it though. He was mainly interested in pressure point manipulation style, whatever the name of that was.

Rokusasu
July 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I take ballet classes. :D Seriously, some of the things we do are pretty lethal, especially when wearing block shoes.

I've always wanted to do some form of martial arts, but then I'd only be able to do stuff when I'm in trouble. D:

Ricky429
July 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I recently startd doing Martial Arts. I do Tae Kwon DO, Hap Ki Do, and im going to start doing Gum Do,

Captain Fabio
July 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I use to be brown belt, 1st dan.

Haven't trained in over a year though :/

Esper
July 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
>Martial Arts
>pretentious
Maybe because there's usually no need to know a martial art.

I can't speak for everyone, and this may seem somewhat hypocritical given that I've taken *cough* self-defense *cough* martial arts classes, but I think most people who learn martial arts are trying to look cool to compensate for something else.

I've had people tell me that aikido is for "hippies" and that it's not a "real" martial art. So, while it's cool to see someone break a brick with their head or whatever, most people can't do that and just come off as arrogant jerk-faces who want to be Bruce Lee so they can show off/beat people up.

Stronkadonk
July 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Previously, Tae Kwon Do. I was a Black Belt, then I retired. It got repetitive, boring, and I just lost interest, really.

You're Gonna Go Far Kid!
July 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Maybe because there's usually no need to know a martial art.

I can't speak for everyone, and this may seem somewhat hypocritical given that I've taken *cough* self-defense *cough* martial arts classes, but I think most people who learn martial arts are trying to look cool to compensate for something else.

I've had people tell me that aikido is for "hippies" and that it's not a "real" martial art. So, while it's cool to see someone break a brick with their head or whatever, most people can't do that and just come off as arrogant jerk-faces who want to be Bruce Lee so they can show off/beat people up.
Agreed.I joined because i'm horrible at fighting and I wanted to lose weight.But martials arts can fix those things.Martial arts has taught some women to hold her own against an attacker,and people like me how to fight.But some don't need it.

Cassino
July 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Combat Sambo. Developed for the Soviet military to disarm and disable opponents, so of course this is serious business and not a sport.
I don't train since I have nobody to readily practice with, nor the space to do so, so I just observe and decided that to be my style of fighting if I ever get into one.

xxxLatiasxxx
July 16th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I don't train in any type of Martial Arts but I had a friend that did he was a Black Belt.

The Scientist
July 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM
>Martial Arts
>pretentious

lol >greentext

Anyway, here we go:

UNARMED:
Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan (Tae Kwon Do predecessor)
Hung Gar (One of the five Chinese families' kung fu)

I'll start Silat next year

ARMED:
Toyama Battou-Ryu (Japanese military katana style)
Okinawan Kobudo (Japanese peasant/farmer style lol)
Montmorency (French fencing)
Xan'xuan Taiji (Chinese jian)
Zweihanderapparate (German longsword)

Vie
July 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I took aikido classes a few years ago... had the orange belt. xD