View Full Version : What would the world be like without the sun?

July 16th, 2009, 3:29 AM
Hypothetically, if you didn't need the sun to live (and lets say it never existed, plus you had candles, and lights in houses), what would you imagine the world be like? Would you think more negatively without bright skies, would you be amazed at the starlight every night... would you want to live without a sun?

To me, I'm guessing there would be a lot of astrologists, but other than that, I think... the sun brightens the mood, and that would probably impact on the overall attitude of the human race.

July 16th, 2009, 4:07 AM
What a rather impossible yet odd idea of a world. o_o; I mean, gee, the night time sky would be around all the time. (depending on the place you live) Without the big cheese in the sky, it's hard to imagine (even hypothetically speaking) what it'd be like. You'd be forced to appreciate darkness, and you gotta believe species would adapt to see in the night and all that jazz. Personally, yes, I'd rather have our most powerful engine of energy a few doors (planets) down. XD; It's ... everything. Oh, and about negativity, that'd depend whether I was alive with the sun, if I was born without it, I'd probably be used to the darkness... if there was a massive global blackout while I was alive, then yeah, I certainly would be much more depressed, etc.

edit: also, those who says we couldn't see stars. Those specs in the sky can be galaxies, with what? A sun, meaning? We can certainly see the night sky.

July 16th, 2009, 4:12 AM
If it never existed, then I think people would just get on with it because they wouldn't know any different. Plus, we'd burn through so much more energy because of needing to see in the perpetual darkness.

You wouldn't be able to see the moon anymore either. D: Bye bye werewolves.

Elite Champion
July 16th, 2009, 4:50 AM

With no sun we would have no football.

July 16th, 2009, 5:18 AM
if chuck norris shaved his beard, he would have enough power to light the planet for 5 billion years.

problem solved

[edit] so i dont get in trouble again, this was answering the TS question, in a joke form [edit]

July 16th, 2009, 6:02 AM
Cold. Without the sun Earth is a snowball. But ignoring that fact you'd think that people would have developed echo location like bats to "see" and get around or something similar and wouldn't even know the difference between dark and light. Candles? Who needs candles?

And how would you keep time? There'd be no seasons, no years. Would the Earth still revolve around the spot where the sun was? If it didn't we couldn't count years. We'd only count "days" (that is, if the Earth still rotated and we could remember which stars were going around). It would be like:

"How old are you?"

"I'm 6,282 days star rotations old."

July 16th, 2009, 6:43 AM
Well, without the sun we can't see the moon, or the starts (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Considering I love both of those, no.

Also, it would be too cold even for me.
The world would be much more negative. The sun is like happy power.

July 16th, 2009, 6:52 AM
We would all be wearing cold suits and the cities would be under the ice. If we were ever to leave the tunnel structure we would have to wear super awesome thermal suits. And carry crossbows.

July 16th, 2009, 7:09 AM
I can sum up my opinion on this topic with one image.

See the hooded people?

They are us, it would be a wonderful world.

July 16th, 2009, 7:11 AM
I feel like bursting bubbles today ^^

Without sun, the world word freeze. Thus killing us and any other life.

July 16th, 2009, 7:14 AM
Simple answer:

the world would be dead.

Gerri Shin
July 16th, 2009, 7:36 AM
we would probably be much farther on in the development of electricity and the sources we get it from. other than that it probably wouldn't be too different.

July 16th, 2009, 8:30 AM
Well the earth would be a giant icecube. If we could hypothetically still be living on it though then I would enjoy it because I love the cold<333

July 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Setting aside the fact we'd be dead...
Setting aside the fact that no plants would grow...
Setting aside the fact that your power bill would be crazy high...
Setting aside the fact that we'd all be frozen due to the extreme cold...

I don't think it'd be a fun place to live. I mean if given enough time someone can come up with some sort of man made light. But it's not a place where I'd want to live. Just try walking around the house at night with no lights on... it's hard. And just try to picture that 24/7. Even with a flashlight, or other lights it can still be hard and your range is limited. So... yea, I think it'd be a real pain to live in a world without a sun.

July 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
It would be like a year-round ice age

July 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Simple: We would be screwed without it.

July 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
well, without the sun it would be dark. lol

July 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, It'd be a pretty terrible world without the sun.. I think we take it for granted.

July 16th, 2009, 3:55 PM
If we didn't need the sun to live and it never existed, I doubt we'd think negatively about the night sky, as we would have known no different. It would however mean power bills would be ridiculously high due to the need to keep everything lit up, though.

July 16th, 2009, 5:15 PM
Cold, dark, and lifeless. Also, colorless. Light is what gives the world color and I like to keep my crayons handy, thank you very much. Candles suck.

July 16th, 2009, 7:00 PM
As much as I'd love to give a FSHAWWOAH answer about living in darkness, I can't imagine the world without the sun. It's not something like the computer or swine flu which we've lived without before. This is, like, the reason we exist. Without the sun, there'd be absolutely nothing to us. It's kind of scary to think about; our whole survival and evolution as a species would be gone completely and totally forever and before and forever and WOAH if it wasn't for the sun. Even if the sun were to somehow go out now and we didn't die right away, we would eventually. The plants which provide oxygen for us would die. Even if we didn't die then, the animals that eat the plants would die. The animals that eat them would also, etc. etc. Sooner or later, there'd be no oxygen and/or no animals to eat. We'd die either way.

If we're just talking about darkness in general without the whole "hey, the world will freeze into a solid block of ice and we'd all die and such," I'd hate it. Too much of one thing is horrible, and darkness is included in that. Have any of you ever read "All Summer in a Day" in school or at home or something? In my opinion, that's what life would be like. And that's no way to really live. :/

July 16th, 2009, 7:15 PM
If we're being completely hypothetical, and we could survive without heat, motion, or earthly physics as we currently know it, the human race existance would be completely different. Developing without light detection, nor color for that matter, would pretty much make the eyes useless. Without a sun, we would be some kind of strange species most likely resembling a bat or mole - scary thought.

I'm not sure how bats or moles enjoy their perpetual darkness, but I assume they're not too phased by it. If we knew nothing else, what is there to be upset about?

July 16th, 2009, 7:54 PM
I'm a creature of the daylight. The sun is my source of happiness, of energy, and of basically any other vague positive entity. I detest the cold, I'm generally more sluggish at night, and I need the sun's rays to keep my spirits up.

To sum things up (and supposing the world and life in general could actually sustain itself), no sun = no fun.

July 16th, 2009, 8:39 PM
I'm going to have too say that it would be cold, dark, and lifeless, but yet somehow I'd think we would have evolved into some type of creature able to see without the sun, like have incredible night vision (which I've always dreamed of). I've always loved stars so I guess I could live with them...just no moon and no sun....it'd be hard to tell time when your outside =/

July 16th, 2009, 8:45 PM
Well, we couldn't see. Meaning edventually, we'll loose our eyes, but get great hearing and smell.
It'll get so cold that edventually we'll get a lot hairierand burlier.

So we'll be a bunch of dirty, eyless, hair savages living in caves, huddling to stay warm.

bit.trip void
July 16th, 2009, 9:37 PM
I will not be sarcastic, I swear. Dark. o3o

Nah, everything would die, no plants, means o vegetables, which means carnivores, which, eventually, means cannibals, which means bad. Which means this is the end of my post.

July 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM

Without the sun we wouldn't even exist. We'd pretty much be at either absolute zero or sucked up by a black hole. What kind of logic goes by living in a world with no sun?

.little monster
July 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
If the sun never existed candles would never exist, because (if life could exist without it) we would never have even experienced light and we would have evolved to be able to see in darkness and survive in cold which defeats to purpose of candles. Also, there would be no need for use to have melanin.

So there is something, we would have no candles and we would be pure white.

Also, I would not think negatively about the sun skies because I prefer night over day. Mainly because when it's sunny, the light hurts my eyes. I would want to live without a sun, this is because..the sun does nothing for me that effects my mental status. Now physically..I guess I would need to take in more vitamin D and be even whiter (if possible) than I already am. o.o Which I could care less about..

Sarcastic Prince
July 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I so very hate da sun! Yez! I hate it!
OK, to my serious mood. I do hate the Sun, and therefore, I do want to live in a Place where it is cold forever!

Satoshi Ookami
July 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'd be totally happy! I hate sun it's so annoying seeing the light...

July 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Cold and dark 24/7.
And everyone and everything would be gone.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
July 18th, 2009, 2:25 AM
We wouldn't even evolve. Like the hypothetical creatures that dwell under Europa.

July 18th, 2009, 8:28 PM
If the sun wasn't there, I would stop typing in this topic or even existing in this dimension.
Heck, not only me, no lifeform would ever be even in existance in the first place.

Captain Fabio
July 19th, 2009, 3:58 AM
Well, since there would be no light to begin with, light couldn't be discovered.
It would be total darkness all the time.

Sounds fun.

July 19th, 2009, 5:17 AM
It would be very cold all year around if there was no sun.

July 22nd, 2009, 4:56 PM
Most life depends on the sun so it would be lifeless. It would be cold, and it would be boring.

July 22nd, 2009, 5:05 PM
Wow. I have actually never thought of that.
If we have no idea of the sun at all, I think life would just go on.

Of course, All those poor plants and such would wither away.

But, I do believe that the sun does affect, if not anyone else's, My mood. It makes me happy to see the sun, I feel better when it's warm outside.

I'm very Pro Sun.
Sun FTW.

July 22nd, 2009, 5:22 PM
Like Haza said, the planet would be lifeless.

July 22nd, 2009, 5:28 PM
well we would all be dead sooner or later. it would be cold all the time and there would be no sense of night and day.

if we all servived it pretty misreable even for the people who hat the light and hate the heat. it would like frozen over hell.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 28th, 2009, 8:39 AM
Very Dark and I won't be able to get a tan, but the good news about it would be my hair won't turn light brown/blonde