PDA

View Full Version : Your parent's thoughts on your anime/pokemon obsession.

glow.ForEveR
July 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I was wondering what everyone's parents/family thought of their obsessions with anime and Pokemon ( if you have one)

Like, mine don't understand it at all but they leave me alone about it. ^^

What does your family think?

Avey
July 17th, 2009, 09:52 AM
They... don't know I like Pokémon. I keep PC and every other forum I go to a secret from them, and when I get the games I just say it's for the sake of nostalgia. Which they accept because I'm a sentimental sorta guy. They also don't know I watch the anime from time to time... so yeah.

The reason they don't know is because their thoughts would be fairly negative if they found out.

Zero°
July 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
My mom thinks I'm freaking wierd

Elite Champion
July 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Same as the poster above. They would maybe think of me different

Kura
July 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
My parents don't really care.. :/ I guess it's because I'm at school for Art and Animation, they find it pretty normal..

TwilightBlade
July 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
They've threaten to disown me if I continue to obsess over a children's game and cartoons. \o/

Wish
July 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
They don't mind the Pokemon obsession to be honest. Since I see and treat anime in an artistic light, they support me for being inspired to do something with that inspiration.

Mitchman
July 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
They view Pokemon and video games childish so whatever. The forums though I keep secret.

glow.ForEveR
July 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I don't understand why you have to keep the forums a secret..
Maybe i'm weird but i think being open about things is a much better idea.

Chibi-chan
July 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
My mom thinks I'm too old for these things, so I try to hide it from her.
She knows though...doesn't like it.

Shem
July 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
really don't know what my mom thinks, nor do I care, as for my dad, he says that I need to get "a real game" instead of pokemon.

La Foudre
July 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
They don't care, at all. They don't care that my brother loves video games either. As a matter of fact, my mom loves to play Spyro and games like that on my DS so she's a nerd too, I guess. xD

glow.ForEveR
July 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
They don't care, at all. They don't care that my brother loves video games either. As a matter of fact, my mom loves to play Spyro and games like that on my DS so she's a nerd too, I guess. xD

Thats awesome! xD It would be cool to have a nerdy parent :3

atrend
July 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
My dad doesn't care and my mother doesn't know what I do, so I guess it isn't really a problem at home. They just leave me alone.

Rokusasu
July 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
My mum's not bothered at all about the Pokemon stuff. I think it's the Kingdom Hearts obsession she's more concerned with. XD

hashtag
July 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
They... don't know I like Pokémon. I keep PC and every other forum I go to a secret from them, and when I get the games I just say it's for the sake of nostalgia. Which they accept because I'm a sentimental sorta guy. They also don't know I watch the anime from time to time... so yeah.

The reason they don't know is because their thoughts would be fairly negative if they found out.

Woah, you don't know how word for word this is xD

Alli
July 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My parents don't act like they care, but I'm sure they do. My dad likes that I have something I have a drive for, even though it's something like Pokemon. My step dad probably thinks it's childish and he always takes my DS when I get grounded (however he forgets my SP and GBA). My mom doesn't really seem to care, however she gets disappionted when I'd rather buy a Pokemon game (or any game, for that matter) rather than clothes.

XxDawnfanxX
July 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think my parents exactly know. I keep PC a secret from everyone because to me, it is like a place that I can get away from everything and talk about something I love with people that understand. Others around here, I could never talk to and they wouldn't be able to take me seriously. My mom wouldn't care, my dad probably wouldn't, but he would rag on me if he knew.

Gold warehouse
July 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't say I am obsessed over anime... My parents don't know though, I wouldn't mind if they did. I doubt they would care. It's far less strange compared to other things I do.

Motsuko Live
July 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
My parents just wonder why I'm on the computer so much. Fortunately they think all I'm doing is talking to friends and browsing facebook. But little do they know...

.little monster
July 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The could not honestly care less. They would rather me be addicted to Pokemon than drugs.

Anxiety.
July 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
My parentx couldn't care less. I don't talk about it to them.

Zeta Patchouli
July 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The could honestly care less. They would rather me be addicted to Pokemon than drugs.

This is my parents thoughts. As long as I'm not breaking the law, they don't care.

Wulf
July 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
"Son, I'm dissapointed in you."
;_;

bit.trip void
July 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
My dad works at a game store. I don't have an obsession with it. Even if I did, they wouldn't care.

Oh, The Places You'll Go.
July 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think they really care.
They let me live the way I want to.
I'm not obsessed because I don't watch the anime anymore, but they don't care that I buy the games.
They're cool with it.

.MurkyBurning.
July 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
parents dont care ;) their cool

ReyRey-Pyon
July 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
My parents know allll about my silly pokemon/anime obsession, they don't really care
i guess as long as i'm a half way decent kid it doesn't matter my silly hobbies

Corvus of the Black Night
July 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
They think I'm too old for it, and that I should move on, but they don't hate me for it.

.Wolfie-kun.
July 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
They're just like 'Aren't you too old for Pokemon now?'

And I just answer '... Not much O.o;'

Citrinin
July 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think they really care all that much, which is a good thing, I guess. ^^

xxxLatiasxxx
July 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
My family doesn't care about my obsession with Pokémon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I dont think my mom really cares. When I'm in my room (with all of my Pokemon dolls)she rolls her eyes. When my friends come over, they strickly say that "I'm a fein" when it comes to Pokemon because of all of the Pokemon dolls, toys, and pictures of it on my wall

:t354:TG

machinegun777
July 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
My parents don't mind, as long as its something that I enjoy doing xD

JoltIce
July 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Not really Pokemon, but video games in general, they want me to stop.

Lash
July 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Dad doesn't care/ignores it, though I'm sure he does wish I was more into vehicles and stuff like that.

Mom doesn't care either. She pre orders the games when I ask her to, that's pretty cool of her. Though, I'm sure she does wonder, what would have happened if she never bought me Pokémon Yellow 10 years ago? haha.

World King
July 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Meh, my olderbrother says I'm such a dork by still liking Pokémon, since I don't go out that much, says I don't have lots of friends; but then I usually shut him up when people start IMing me or when I show him the "Posting PICTURES OF YOU Thread". He just goes away...

And my mom isnt bothered my addiction (yes, Addiction) for Pokémon anymore. In fact, whenever she goes on her twice-per-week shopping trips, if possible, she always buys me chea and good-quality Pokémon merchandise, and even got me my DSi for my B-day becase she knew I wasn't happy not playing Pokémon...

And the rest of my friends have gotten used to it...

altaria221
July 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
My parents bought me my first pokemon game, and at about age 11-12 were probably worried about my pokemon obsession, but it has all toned down a lot with age
I make straight A's, run track and cross country, have fun working on my 65 dark green fastback, and i am the main kid out of three who work all over our yard and other chores, so they believe it is okay for me to have a little past time in playing pokemon

Saltare.
July 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
My dad doesn't know...hehe.

My mom thinks it's awesome. Since most of the anime I watch and most of the manga I read inspires me to write and draw.

BeachBoy
July 18th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I "should be spending all this time working my ass off at a grocery store, getting some cash." XD; My mother dislikes the obsession, thinks I'm too old / holds no value for me, but she's tolerant of it if I bring home the grades (hey hey, 4.0 this year) and be a good boy. :3

Yamikarasu
July 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM
My mom teases me about it sometimes. I just ignore it.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
July 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
No one knows. Not my parents, siblings or friends (IRL).

ChronicEdge
July 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Mine don't know. Most of the time I'm surprised they remember my middle name.

Also, I don't believe that you are from North Carolina, sir. It is not the home of amazement. It is the home of mosquitoes, kudzu, and choking humidity.

Unless you live in Asheville. Do you? *Regards suspiciously*

Damiano
July 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM
My parents just say im a big kid but then if they see me playing the games they sometimes ask to have a go.

i'm a bubble. pop me.
July 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I don't have an obsession with pokemon/anime i just really like that stuff. anyway, my parents don't really care - they would just prefer if my younger brother woundn't be spending that much time playing video games.

.Seth
July 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
They think Pokemon is cool and a fun experience for me.
Eh, at least they don't dislike it. :D

OokamiShipper
July 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
There's nothing negative about them knowing my ...obsession... about Pokemon/anime. xD
Besides the fact they tease me about, but y'know...

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
July 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
They know I like, and have plenty of games associated with it.

...not very concered, I would say.

Serene Grace
July 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
My parents don't really care. It's normal for a teenager to watch anime, since that's what they're aimed at. Maybe Pokemon is a bit "babyish" but I don't really care. It's a good series which I like a lot.

As for other anime series, my parents don't mind as long as I'm not staring at the screen too much or anything sexually explicit. Panty shots are fine though. :]

Jorah
July 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
They don't say anything most of the time, but they think I'm really weird for watching anime in Japanese. Especially when I put my DVDs on the TV downstairs XDD But I can tell they think it's weird I still like Pokemon.

Metatron
July 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
...I'm not obsessed with either. I promise.

may torchic
July 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Nope my mother doesn't really care if I watch Pokemon.
Mostly my little brother and I watches it and we play the games also, she likes pokemon, but not a fan of it, so it's like 50% or 40% of her liking it.

.Ozymandias
July 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
My parents and close family don't really mind - it's something I enjoy that's not hurting anyone, so they are pretty relaxed about it.

Blaziquaza
July 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM
They just tease me when I ramble on about it.Including the bullies at school.:|>

glow.ForEveR
July 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mine don't know. Most of the time I'm surprised they remember my middle name.

Also, I don't believe that you are from North Carolina, sir. It is not the home of amazement. It is the home of mosquitoes, kudzu, and choking humidity.

Unless you live in Asheville. Do you? *Regards suspiciously*

Its Home of ANIMAzement. Its a anime convention >.>

SeaSquirt
July 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
My dad would try and get into it since my sister and I liked it so much, so we'd have moments like this:

"Go Pikachuuuu! Use Thunderbolt!"
"Sorry Dad, that's a Jigglypuff."
"Go Jigglypuuuuf! Use Thunderbolt!"

The only person I live with now is my boyfriend, and he likes Pokemon too, so it's all good. We watch the TV show together every once in a while.

Guillermo
July 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
...I'm not obsessed with either. I promise.

He stole the letters from my keyboard.

Pokehead
July 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
My parents really don't care about my love for pokemon, hell, they actually encourage it. They've been teaching for 30 odd years (they're in their mid 50s, you do the math), so they find it odd I don't really like anime in general. But yeah, they're ok with pokemon.

Ayselipera
July 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
My dad, sister, and brother all make little jokes once in a while. Not in a mean way though just friendly joking. My mom never says anything like that though. In fact she told me the other day she always thought Pikachu was cute. I was quite shocked.

Anyways no one else knows I play pokemon. I never told any of my friends and personally I think I like it better that way.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
July 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
My parents think it is dumb, but you know, I like what I like, and I'll like it no matter what!

angelsavoir
July 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
My parents really dont care that I like pokemon. I dont watch anime, but i bet they wouldnt care about that either. Its my life, and my time so if i deciede to play pokemon sometimes they dont care. Beside Im not obessed. I just like to play the games lol!

Zakarii
July 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
My parentx couldn't care less. I don't talk about it to them.
Me too. Also, all of my friends think Pokemon is weird and stupid, so, I'm really the only person I know who plays Pokemon on a regular basis.

Camisado
July 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM
I don't like the word "obsession" =/ I'm not obsessed, I'm just a fan. It doesn't have to be on your mind every waking minute.

My parents know I love Pokémon but they don't tend to comment.

Well, actually, dad was quite interested when I first got Silver.

Timbjerr
July 21st, 2009, 04:29 AM
My parents just think I'm another nerd since video games and anime all fall under that category for them. My dad in particular is more interactive about it. He helped my younger brother play through Pokemon Red way back in the day, and he sometimes borrows our newer games for nostalgic purposes, although he can't keep up with the knowledge like I can. :P

mew²
July 21st, 2009, 06:42 AM
Well my mom is quite mad about it because I sold Nintendogs for Pokemon Platinum. But she doesn't care :p

shinx095
July 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
My parents don't seem to mind but sometimes they ask 'Aren't you a little old for Pokemon?' And I'm like no. I don't watch the anime though, I read the manga. But my sister makes fun of me for reading the manga

Manaphy1128
July 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
They're actually pretty much fine with it, and will help me in certain ways (like getting me figurines for my birthday and letting me go to the bookstore the moment it opens to get the new volume). Unless it starts annoying them, like if I'm yelling stuff while watching/reading anime/manga or if it's all I talk about ("In the new chapter.." "My favorite character is..." "This reminds me of this time in this D.Gray-man chapter...").

The only thing they don't really really like about it is the amount of money it costs and how much it confines me to my room.

22sa
July 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
They have no respect for it.

...Well, 'tis life. :P

Someguyz
July 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Even if I am more into sonic than pokemon, my parents really don't care. I mean, when I am on the internet they think all I do is "Game and Youtube". But, I like it that way. They know I play Pokémon and that's good enough for them.

ShadowLeader
July 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
*Mom's Thoughts*

Uhh...whatever...weirdo...just don't come crying to me after school one day if the other kids pick on you.

*Dad's Thoughts*

Stop watching them ****ing cartoons boy, before I beat your brains in you no-good piece of ****.....*hours later*.....I'm sorry boy...I shouldn't be telling you what to watch...*five minutes later*...DID'T I ****ING TELL YOU TO TURN THAT LITTLE KIDS **** OFF?!....

My parents don't exactly support my interests....but then again they can kiss my(CENSORED)!

0m3GA ARS3NAL
July 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
*Mom's Thoughts*

Uhh...whatever...weirdo...just don't come crying to me after school one day if the other kids pick on you.

*Dad's Thoughts*

Stop watching them ****ing cartoons boy, before I beat your brains in you no-good piece of ****.....*hours later*.....I'm sorry boy...I shouldn't be telling you what to watch...*five minutes later*...DID'T I ****ING TELL YOU TO TURN THAT LITTLE KIDS **** OFF?!....

My parents don't exactly support my interests....but then again they can kiss my(CENSORED)!

HAHAHAHAHHA, this is great! Heheh, this rules.

22sa
July 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHHA, this is great! Heheh, this rules.
I agree, what eloquence, pwnness.

Sapphir
July 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
My parents figure I could be doing worse things than playing a video game, so they really don't care about it. I actually think my parents forget that I do play until I buy another game in the series.

Friends, on the other hand, have absolutely no idea I play Pokemon at all. If I told them they would not believe me, they would think I was joking.

msdmario
July 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
My parents aren't that much aware of my obsession of Pokemon. Then again, the only thing I really like about Pokemon are the games so obsession isn't the best word to describe me.

txteclipse
July 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
My parents are cool with it, pretty much. My dad only makes comments from time to time that I should start writing original work instead of just fanfiction.

Sweet Smoochum
July 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
My brothers both like it, but they pretend that they don't around their friends. My mom doesn't mind anymore, but she tells me not to tell people that I like it. She buys me the games anyway. I show her that I draw mostly people using the same style of artwork rather than the Pokemon itself. I'm not exactly obsessed with it seeing as how I don't have posters or plushies of Pokemon.

Zeoxzon
July 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Compared to some of my cousins? My families more worried about some of them.

Alinthea
July 22nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I don't really have a Anime or a Pokemon obsession.
I class it as a TV show/game so it is fine.

They don't mind either way.
I play way too many games, but they think it is good to get an idea of successful games, since I am going into the industry.

etking122
July 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
They don't care at ALL!
If I'm doing something pokemon related, they just ignore it completely!
(4 years ago my older brother bought it and dad said: "So, you want
Pokeman Crystal?" It was funny!"

Yaoi
July 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm getting my mom a DSlite and Pokemon Diamond for her birthday.

._____.;

22sa
July 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm getting my mom a DSlite and Pokemon Diamond for her birthday.

._____.;
LOL Will she play it at all?