PDA

View Full Version : Aliens.

изм
July 20th, 2009, 03:56 AM
"THE LETTER"
Dear Earth Persons:
OK. We are having a nice day. We also have a number of extremely sophisticated weapons, and unless you start broadcasting something more interesting, we will reduce your planet to a very warm object the size of a child's bowling ball.
Regards,
The Aliens

$$ THE END $$

I'm really curious about the existence of aliens....... Could someone tell me please....

"Could there be Aliens out there????"

Tacogeddon
July 20th, 2009, 04:02 AM
The universe is a big place, with billions of star systems in just our galaxy alone, life out there isn't a crazy idea. If life can form on the dinky third planet of a tiny yellow star on the edge of the milky way, chances are it's forming in other places all the time, both more primitive and advanced than us.

Zakarii
July 20th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I believe there is something else out there. I dunno what, but It's impossible that we're the only ones living in this place.

s0n1c
July 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hello,
I share the same opinion like Zakarii, cause it´s impossible, by such a big universe, that we´re the only one living.^^

s0n1c

Kazukii
July 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM
No, simply no. I thourighly believe there is no such thing as Aliens.

Tacogeddon
July 20th, 2009, 04:15 AM
A good article to read would be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

And also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_chauvinism

It kind of makes you realize that searching for Earth-like worlds for life might be a be self-centered on our part, but it's all we know of course.

♣Gawain♣
July 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
This galaxy alone contains more or less 10 billion stars, and the chance of a star having the same habitable condition such as ours is less than 10%, and in that 10% there is another 10% of having a habitable planet such as ours. I'm talking here a very small probability of having life in other star system. Nevertheless, that small percentage mean big to us. If we are able to communicate to other advanced beings(which I doubt at this present technology), we are able to conclude that there are other advanced life forms other than us. And of the billions of galaxy and of the centillion(more or less) stars there, it is almost impoosible to say that we are alone.

Ayselipera
July 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
There are three things in this world that scare the crap out of me and Aliens are one of them. If I ever saw an alien I would instantaneously crap myself.

Trap-Eds
July 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
This galaxy alone contains more or less 10 billion stars, and the chance of a star having the same habitable condition such as ours is less than 10%...

Why? Why is the chance of some other Earth being out there so low?

I think there could be another planet with live out there. However, the chances of us finding them or them finding us I find rather low.

glow.ForEveR
July 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Aliens don't exist :3 sorry ^_^

Rokusasu
July 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
"THE LETTER"
Dear Earth Persons:
OK. We are having a nice day. We also have a number of extremely sophisticated weapons, and unless you start broadcasting something more interesting, we will reduce your planet to a very warm object the size of a child's bowling ball.
Regards,
The Aliens

$$ THE END $$

I'm really curious about the existence of aliens....... Could someone tell me please....

Where's the Doctor when we need him? D:

Greene1516
July 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
There is no reason their couldn't be extra-terrestrial life out there. If plants can grow on other planets as well as worm-like organisms living on Mars I think it was, then there is no reason to say that multi-cell organisms are not possibly out there (yes the wormy things were actually single-celled). And as has been pointed out, water has been found therefore life will follow.

Anxiety.
July 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I think there could be.
In a huge universe, who said we are the only ones out there.

But I don't believe they necessarily know we exist. They might be like us, and debating over it themselves.

Xairmo
July 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/Xairmo/2lshc47.gif

They come from Planet Funk, in the Jackson Nebula.

.little monster
July 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
How the - are we supposed to know?

It is ignorant say we are the only life in the Universe and there is no possibility for other life. I believe there is other life.

Yamikarasu
July 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Astrobiology is actually something I was thinking of going into when I get to college. Very interesting stuff. It's incredibly silly to say that there is no life out there. Maybe not other intelligent life (all though I would argue that it probably does exist), but certainly there is bacteria-like lifeforms out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Equation

^ This equation is based on a serious of educated guesses, which states that there are probably hundreds or thousands of intelligent species within our own galaxy.

However, I don't think any aliens have been to earth (OMG UFOs!!!). Unless they can travel faster than light, it isn't feasible to travel between solar systems.

Saltare.
July 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
There may be other life out there, but Aliens aren't going to invade the earth.

Shem
July 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I believe that there is in fact life on other planets, but I have a hard time believing it would be as intelligent as us.

I wonder if life on other planets would function similarly to earths life forms or if it would be a completely different system...

pulser
July 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
theres a chance they exist it cant be earth is the only planet where mtiple celled orginisms live is it its a big universe out there

Vigilante
July 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
The universe is huge, their are places beyond where we could go. Places that we shall never touch down on. Not until we find the Mass Relay and warp technology forward two-hundred years. I believe that it is possible and highly likely that there is other life. It wouldn't make sense for the Big Bang to create us and only us.

The aliens may or may not be as smart as us. Theymay be a small microscopic creature, or a ginormous thing the size of a T-rex. These are one of the many mysteries that we will likely never find an answer too.

Edit:

This galaxy alone contains more or less 10 billion stars, and the chance of a star having the same habitable condition such as ours is less than 10%, and in that 10% there is another 10% of having a habitable planet such as ours.

The "aliens" may not need the same living requirements as us. It is somewhat ignorant to believe that if there was other life that we would share the same criteria to live. They could people who thrive in a gaseous planet. Or need extreme temperatures to live.

Åzurε
July 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I think we are, as a planet, alone in the universe. If there was reasonable, physical proof otherwise I'd gladly revise, but until then I'm pretty firm on that.

Pokehead
July 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
There may be other life out there, but Aliens aren't going to invade the earth.

Dammit, all that money wasted on firearms, and what will I do with my nuclear stockpile now?! Sell it on E-Bay?!

Ok, now to actually contribute to thread and stay on topic.

Quite frankly, I think its impossible for aliens NOT to exist. As posters before me have said, there are billions of stars in the Milky Way alone. And there are billion of galaxies in the KNOWN universe. The math tells us we can practically bet our lives on it. Now, will we ever meet is another question entirely.

изм
July 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I find it impossible to think that there are no aliens and i find it pretty egotistical of people to think that we are the only ones in all that space.
I think that the possibility of aliens on earth is highly improbable though not because i have a closed mind but because of many logical reasons one of which is from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, which i find a very logical outlook of the universe (in a warped way!), it's the fact that the average population of the universe is zero because the universe is so huge that only if a being inhabited every point in the universe would the average equal one i hope your following this... so because there's so many people on earth and because the nearest star is billions of miles away the nearest populated planet must also be miles and miles away add that to the probability that they have space flight capability and the possibility that they'd head our way and it all adds up to a high improbability that aliens have ever come anywhere near earth but it is still possible but i think that if aliens had really visited earth we would have absolute proof that they had as they probably would've tried to have made contact because after all one of the reasons for space travel is to meet new life & civilizations and to boldly go where no on has gone before ?

lx_theo
July 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM
The only actual reason I can think of for a person to completely void the possibility is that they are religious enough to think we are that special that we are a one of a kind in the sentience respect

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
July 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Arthur C. Clarke is quoted as saying "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

I have to say, I agree.

Captain Fabio
July 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM
It isn't impossible.
It is very possible if you think about it.

But who knows.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
anything can happen, but for this topic, i really don't care

:t354:TG

The Scientist
August 3rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
This galaxy alone contains more or less 10 billion stars, and the chance of a star having the same habitable condition such as ours is less than 10%, and in that 10% there is another 10% of having a habitable planet such as ours. I'm talking here a very small probability of having life in other star system. Nevertheless, that small percentage mean big to us. If we are able to communicate to other advanced beings(which I doubt at this present technology), we are able to conclude that there are other advanced life forms other than us. And of the billions of galaxy and of the centillion(more or less) stars there, it is almost impoosible to say that we are alone.

Alternate forms of life don't necessarily need Earthen conditions to live.

Don't forget kiddies, humans are adapted to Earth, not the other way around.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
I wrote nearly an entire paragraph on this in another thread and I thought I might as well post it here too.

Alternate forms of life don't necessarily need Earthen conditions to live.
Agreed and Seconded.

I'm a fairly scientific and religious person so here's my view.

Life is a relative term. Generally we think something is a living being when it is carbon/nitrogen/ect. based manifestation of something that can grow and reproduce. However, as I've said, life is a relative term. There could be other forms of life that are not element based nor are physical. They could be photon based, heat based, energy based life forms that do not necessarily have to grow old or reproduce. They would not even have to think.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is. With other creatures, the definition of life varies. For example, a rock at the side of the road. It does not breathe, does not grow, does not reproduce, and it doesn't think. To us, that would mean that it was not a living organism. But, from a rock's point of view, it is there it exists and it has cousins (i.e. gravel, quartz, heavy metals) therefore from its point of view it is a living thing. To it, humans could just be natural phenomena.

Life as I've said is a very relative. Who's to say that beams of light are not life. Even more radical would be, beings made of light. Beings made of heat. Who knows, maybe dark matter is a sentient form of life that makes up much of the mass of the universe.

If, you're still insistent on life on other planets. More commonly speaking, intelligent life. You can use the Drake Equation.

The Drake equation states that: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/4/7/847914dec26cc45ac2957da0054683de.png where:
N is the number of civilizations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization) in our galaxy in which communication might be possible; and
R* is the average rate of star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star) formation per year in our galaxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way)
fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet)
ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life) per star that has planets
fℓ is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence) life
fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation#cite_note-1)

darthvagabond100
November 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
yup, i think there are definitely aliens or other lifeforms out there that can vastly range in intelligence and appearance. also it is true that not all life forms require earths attributes to spawn/survive.

Guillermo
November 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
The universe is too large for another lifeform to not exist.