PDA

View Full Version : What is the anti-virus program installed in your computer?

Tim Tim 09
July 20th, 2009, 04:18 AM
What is the anti-virus program installed to your Computer? Thanks!

Camisado
July 20th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I have ClamXAV on my MacBook and iMac, and ESET Smart Security on our PC (since we use it on the government network at work).

Zet
July 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM
ESET NOD32 is all I need, has a great detection rate, doesn't slow down computer performance, on demand scan etc what else do you need?

machinegun777
July 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I use Trend Micro Internet Security on my Windows Vista

Archer
July 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM
ESET NOD32 is all I need, has a great detection rate, doesn't slow down computer performance, on demand scan etc what else do you need?
I've used it in the past, but then they went all commercial and turned the free edition into a trial. I know you can crack it, but I'm not keen to give my AV company a reason to get pissed off. Be nice to people that protect you and know how to make your life a misery should you stuff them around.

As a result, I've gone with Avira Antivir. I haven't run into a problem since I started using it. I can't vouch for AVG in that regard. =P It's not a performance hog, scans are very fast and it's totally free. My only issue is that updates can lag a little occasionally, but that's fine to let them think in the background. :D

I just thought it's worth mentioning that you should nearly always go with a 'Guard' antivirus, rather than a simple scanner. You can find a virus or other malware can already have covered your computer before your next scheduled scan comes along.

EmeraldSky
July 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I use AVG Free 2008--worked well for me so far

Archer
July 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I use AVG Free 2008--worked well for me so far
I've had really bad experiences with it, and I think Zet and others will back me up. It's better than nothing, but it's not the best. AVG were good once upon a time, but they sort of let their integrity slip...

Camisado
July 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I've used it in the past, but then they went all commercial and turned the free edition into a trial. I know you can crack it, but I'm not keen to give my AV company a reason to get pissed off. Be nice to people that protect you and know how to make your life a misery should you stuff them around.

Are you suggesting that people here haven't paid for it? =|

Archer
July 20th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I didn't suggest they hadn't, but I know people that have done it, and I wanted to explain why before anyone suggested that. Plus, not using one of THE major AV suites, can help avoid direct attacks on those programs, to some degree. I remember hearing about direct attacks on Norton a while ago...

Saltare.
July 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I don't know, but according to the little icon in the dashboard, Trend Micro Internet Security?

Kazukii
July 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I use Sophos Anti Virus which works very well :)

twocows
July 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
My ratings:
ClamXAV on my MacBook and iMac
Good enough for a Mac.
ESET Smart Security on our PC.Good
ESET NOD32
Good
Trend Micro Internet Security
Good

Avira Antivir
Good

AVG Free 2008
Acceptable

Trend Micro Internet Security
Good

I use Sophos Anti Virus
Unsure, but I was quite pleased with their tool to get rid of Conficker on networks (I think that was Sophos).

Overall, looks like you guys are using some good software (though AVG is starting to slip).

I've had really bad experiences with it, and I think Zet and others will back me up. It's better than nothing, but it's not the best. AVG were good once upon a time, but they sort of let their integrity slip...
It's acceptable for general use, but it's not the best anymore. There are better free products now. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad, though.

Probably. Don't ask who and there won't be a problem.

.MurkyBurning.
July 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
i have norton protection center for my windows xp. its fine i guess... but i think it sucks :-P

Eon-Rider
July 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I currently use Avast! It works fine but I get irritated every time a notification pops up with a narrator saying "virus database has been updated." There's probably a way to turn it off but I can't be bothered.

I used to use AVG Free but a friend suggested me to change.

Camisado
July 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have far too much of a conscience to not pay for software licenses.

I should add, I've now changed from ClamXAV to ProtectMac AntiVirus as Apple seem to have recommended the most. It looks really good so far. I may be tempted to buy a license after the trial expires.

twocows
July 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I have far too much of a conscience to not pay for software licenses.
I use software that doesn't require a license. If they appear to be in financial trouble, I'll send them a donation.

Rokusasu
July 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Avira AntiVirus. Norton sucks for what you pay for it.

.little monster
July 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I have AVG Free in Vista.

I have Avast in Ubuntu even though I know it's nearly pointless. :P

MastaMind
July 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Mcafee, Avast, and AdAware

Archer
July 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Sophos: Unsure, but I was quite pleased with their tool to get rid of Conficker on networks (I think that was Sophos).

AVG: It's acceptable for general use, but it's not the best anymore. There are better free products now. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad, though.

Sophos has great reviews, last time I checked, it's one of the best commercial products there are, but I remember it being pricey, too. Our school uses it on their network and, although I obviously don't have much to do with it, it's quiet and the school's never had any security issues.

I know what you're saying about AVG, but I never actually said it was bad, just that I've had bad experiences with it. Last time I had it running, it let in a virus and then couldn't find it when I did an update and scan. I ended up tracking it down myself and looking it up on google from there. Only to find it was several months old and there were other that had had AVG let it through, but only AVG. Aside from that, I feel the program has become less intuitive and efficient over the years. That's why I said I'd had bad experiences with it - it may only have been a one-off slip-up, but that's enough to compromise the security and give it a bad image.

Of course, if you have it installed and don't manage the computers security yourself, then it's best to leave it there, rather than to mess around with alternatives.

Ziraider
July 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
I use Eset NOD32 Smart Security Busniess Edition.

Alinthea
July 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
AVG.
It does the job or now. XD

I do a lot of virus scans and PC clean ups. So it runs smoothly, for now.

SMGKururu
July 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have two: KasperSky and Windows Defender.

What? Windows Defender has proved itself to me more powerful then that stupid AVG.

Gerri Shin
July 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
on the partition I'm using right now I use CommonSense 1.0 however when I switch to my other partition I use Avast! Home edition.

Sajuuk
July 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
I use the latest version of AVG Anti-Virus Free.
That with PC Tools Firewall Plus gives excellent protection :D

Ayano Katagiri
July 22nd, 2009, 02:09 AM
I probably shouldn't be running two at once, but I haven't had a problem with it yet on this laptop.

- Avira Antivir
- avast! 4.8 Professional

Morkula
July 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I use NOD32. It's not free, but it's fast, it doesn't use a lot of system resources, and it has a great detection rate.
On my old laptop and on the desktop I have Avira Antivir.

Katalyst
July 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I used to have AVG on my laptop, but now I'm using NOD32.

Ayselipera
July 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Norton Anti virus... and it sucks!

Malice.
July 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I currently use Avast! It works fine but I get irritated every time a notification pops up with a narrator saying "virus database has been updated." There's probably a way to turn it off but I can't be bothered.

I used to use AVG Free but a friend suggested me to change.
In the options you can choose to manually install virus database updates/program updates (it will prompt you with a reminder when there's an update available to you.)

And I use avast and Windows Defender on all my computers.

Vanilla Kitsune
July 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
I use Ad-Aware, AVG free edition and Spybot Search and Destroy.

.Seth
July 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Windows defender comes pre-installed in Vista, so I have that.
I also use Trend Micro Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware. It works pretty well. Though, with Firefox's quick-checker for downloads, Trend Micro's guard thing, windows defender, the windows firewall, and all of Vista's extra security, I'm covered pretty well.

Zet
July 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
The only good thing that I found with Trend Micro is "shut down if no viruses found" but otherwise it's horrible

Pikachu the Speaker
July 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I use VirusBarrier X5 on my MacBook Pro. I found first virus detected on my macbook pro.

Trias Wahid Mauludy
July 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Avira Anti-virus. Because Avira just nedded small memory RAM. (And because my copmuter is slow)

Lucy Lu
July 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have Norton Internet Security, Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and a-squared(malware detection program). Ad-ware is a trial, so I got that one for free. If I wanted the upgraded version, then I have to pay for it. Internet Security and Anti-Virus I been keeping up by getting subscriptions. And it isn't cheap either. $50 a year. Well maybe it isn't too bad. Because it is for both of them. And it has done the job so far. Yes I know it takes up a lot of resources, but that is the best I can get for right now. I trust Norton.