PDA

View Full Version : Rogue PC Repair Shops

twocows
July 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/262978/exposed-the-pc-repair-shops-that-rifle-through-your-photos-and-passwords.html

This is horrible. These jerks make the rest of us look bad, and I hope they're fired from their jobs and end up getting criminally charged.

Zet
July 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
How evil of them to do something like that, makes me want to install some of that spy programs for any future problems I may experience and can't fix.... or I want a laugh or two

Gerri Shin
July 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
That's despicable, No on ever has the right to do any of that. (except of course what that company Pix4 did, where they examined and fixed the problem on the spot without any sort of overnight stay for the laptop)

Another word of advise for anyone repairing their notebook, take inventory of your hardware if you can. Record the serial numbers on any RAM chips, HDDs, and any aftermarket or popularly replaceable components if you can. I've heard of a few stories where repair shops have actually taken Ram chips and replaced them with a lower quantity chip. Also it would be a good idea to keep a couple photos (preferably with time stamps on them) of your notebook before you gave it to the repair facility so that if your computer is returned and looks physically damaged you can have proof that it was in fact the shop that damaged your property.

In any case if I ever need to send my notebook in for repairs I'll just simply swap out the HDD for one that has a simple fresh install of the OS or I'll back up and restore to factory myself.

Alinthea
July 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
People like this annoy me so much.

I was talking to a friend who doesn't know anything about computers. And he got his computer repaired by some random shop.
His HDD was shot and he needed a new one basically.
They charged him £40 to look at it and then said that it was the RAM that was broke. Charged him for the RAM, which was normal AND THEN, charged him for the fitting. Want to guess how much?
£30 for installing RAM.

When he told me, I just stood there and brought him back to the shop. Lol.
He didn't even turn on the computer, so I wasn't sure what was the actual problem, but I was 99% sure that it wasn't the RAM.
I told them to turn it on and see if it works. If it did, then I would go away.

They turned it on and it didn't work. Surprise Surprise.
I got a refund for the RAM, installation fee and for the "maintenance" on the computer. If I wasn't there, he would have spent just shy of £100 for no reason.

Went else where to get a new HDD. Installed an OS onto it and boom. Worked fine.
They make me so angry! ><'