PDA

View Full Version : "Golden Era" of PC?

Cherrim
July 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
I'm sloooowly starting a bit of a new project to write out the history of PC because as the years go on, I find myself forgetting more and more of what happened when. So I was looking through old threads yesterday and found soooo many references in so many different times to "when PC was better". All of them different.

So now I'm curious: what was PC's "golden era" for you? When was it the most fun? At its highest peak of entertainment? You could also talk about when it was at its worst for you. (Is it the worst it's ever been now? Last summer? In late 2003?) I'm really interested to see what some of the contrasting views will be. :D

Jack O'Neill
July 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
For me, PC's golden era was from when I joined (June 2005) to when I was first banned (May 2006). Things have been bad for me ever since then, but I still keep persevering, holding out the faintest glimmer of hope that the situation will improve to even a fraction of that past glory.

Forever
July 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
.. I'll go year by year! :D

2005 - Only there for like two months, don't remember anything.

2006 - Amazing, especially April Fools, a lot of the best memories then. Just... everyone had a feeling of closeness, there wasn't much of a feeling of people being better than others then, unlike well, the later years.

2007 - Kinda... not so good. Don't really like 2007 at PC, everything was weirder than 06.

2008 - July & October... just feelings of closeness and stuff then.

2009 - January. Best month at PC this year, and March too. Other than that... June and July at PC's kinda sucked.

... So I'll answer 2006.

Mitchman
July 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well I have about 2 years and my golden years are just about starting. I'm changing into a better person I am posting a lot less(10000 is starting to seem impossible now) and i plan on doing something special blog wise. So yeah a no banned happy bright popular future is when my golden era is going to start. In general though PC is going downhill lately. So many people yet so little posting.

Cid
July 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
I don't have anything to consider as a golden era in PC.
I've been inactive half of my account's time here, and I acted like a noob in my first few months up to now.
I'm still trying to stay here, even though I haven't experienced anything that I can call "golden."

I'd probably experience the most "golden" time that I can consider later, when I continue to lurk here.
I'm changing to get more experience and at least level up like a Pokemon. XD
But if I need to, I'd say that the closest golden era IMO was April-May 2008, because it was the time I had most fun.
April Fools 2009 was fun, too, so that comes close second.

In terms of PC being fun, though, I see that it's sort of degrading.
So maybe the golden era in terms of PC being fun since I joined would be the first few months that I was here.

Mitchman
July 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Yeah PC up till say 2008 around the release of Pokemon Platinum was excellent. Now its just plain boring except for the mssive drama we have.

Cherrim
July 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
For me, I think my favourite time on PC was in early 2003. iirc it was juuust before PE2K split off back into its own board. That time up to before the database started really screwing around with the board is a time I look back on quite fondly. It was back when MOTM actually meant someone, there were so few active members that when someone had a birthday--EVERYONE knew them and could give a personalized message in their thread--and people weren't so confined to certain boards. Everyone just... knew everyone, and it was a very tight-knit community.

Mm... fast forward to 2004 which I thiiink was around when Kairi/Abby was basically the Queen of PC? XD; That was another great time. For the most part, everyone was still fairly close, PC started growing exponentially, and what little drama there was was always resolved quickly. It was around then that the staff stopped failing at everything and got organized. If you could see some of our threads before this point... omg. XD I was reading one yesterday from 2003 when we first put the rules together (we didn't have rules until late 2003) and it was Abby and Arcanine/Andy trying to figure out how to post an announcement for like two pages omggg. PC sloowoly became less spammy from this point. Some people hated that (there was less random "RPing" in threads) but I actually adored that since I've never been a fan ahaha.

I think it was late 2004 or early 2005 where things went pretty downhill and that... was probably the worst time on PC for me. :/ There was constant fighting on the staff, between members, between members and staff, and two sides to the board. If you were trying to be neutral, it was impossible. Anyone else remember the "red vs. blue" stuff? Haha, it was just awful. I actually left for a month around this time, partially for school reasons but also because I refused to condone all the crap that went on lmao.

Right now though, I'm really enjoying PC. It doesn't have the same feel that it did in other years but it's certainly not even *close* to its worst. A lot of ongoing problems (from years ago) have been resolved and it makes me SO HAPPY that all the drama is mostly occurring over stupid things like rep and for once it's *members* making a big deal out of things instead of having to stress out about secret drama behind the staff curtain. XD;

lol i'm so tl;dr when it comes to PC. ;_;'

Mitchman
July 23rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well its better if we start the drama and not the staff cause too many questions would arise.

Ascaris
July 23rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
I have no 'golden eras' on here. I'm hardly ever active, and on the rare occasions that I try to give this place a chance something happens that brings back to me the realisation of what type of people I'm posting with here, whether they may be negative reputations for the harmless of posts or arguments over things completely arbitrary. I don't know what this place was like before I joined; it may have been better or it may have been worse. Looking to the past gains you nothing except a feeling of emptiness and longing as you reminisce about the 'good old days' and the future.... many of the regulars have already started labelling this place as boring and it's gotten to the point where having high hopes for it to improve is a foolish longing.

ShadowLeader
July 23rd, 2009, 04:45 AM
Well, since I have only been here for around five months or so, I'd say in that time:D

My time here has been fun, and I'm really looking forward to the months and maybe even years to come.

Spinor
July 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Umm... I'm not really sure, to be honest. I really want to say my whole time here in PC was a golden era XD.

But I guess it would have to be 2008...But I may be a bit biased. It was a lot more fun interacting with others in that year for some reason.

Timbjerr
July 23rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
I think it was late 2004 or early 2005 where things went pretty downhill and that... was probably the worst time on PC for me. :/ There was constant fighting on the staff, between members, between members and staff, and two sides to the board. If you were trying to be neutral, it was impossible. Anyone else remember the "red vs. blue" stuff? Haha, it was just awful. I actually left for a month around this time, partially for school reasons but also because I refused to condone all the crap that went on lmao.

No need to remind me about that, IIRC, my relation with Dakota way back then was the catalyst for this, and everybody ended up stepping down from the staff...and I ended up only coming back here occasionally until late 2007 when I stopped altogether. :P

My best times at PC were probably right after PE2K split off in mid-2003 up until I became an S-mod in late 2004...I believe. >_> I made a ton of friends (only a handful of which are still active today), and made a reputation for myself as a friendly yet cynical go-to guy if you had any questions for anything. :P

jasonresno
July 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
I think I would have loved to have been here when the Pokemon craze was stronger. What was it like back then?

In any event: Please do go forward with this project. I'm interested!

Eucliffe
July 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
2008: When I joined and made my first few friends 8D
2009: So far, from March to the end of May. Afterwards, it kinda sort of declined, since I lost a couple of people who were once my closest friends. Currently, I'm hoping to patch things up with them, though I don't know how likely that is.

Deoxys55
July 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'd have to agree with a few others, 2004-2005ish was my Golden Era. I don't remember a lot of the bigger things happening then, but I know that Emulation and Game Development were in the same subforum, and the thing I loved most was the RP forum. There wasn't all this stupid "Chapter RP" stuff around, it was good ol' literate where everyone participated. Also there was a pokemorph craze around that time; seemed like every other RP dealt with them. =P

There weren't as many people on the forums, so it did have a feeling of closeness, and the servers pretty much never got clogged. That was when Forest Grovyle was rising to fame as well, I believe.

Mitchman
July 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Also lightning I think 2006 was the golden era for everyone. Youtube, PC, Serebiiforums, dA e.t.c. Every site I go to states 2006 six as the golden era. Oh well. It seems the internet has dipped since then.

Rinnosuke
July 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
2008 : Yeah back when it was all fun with Dusty, Army and Pikataro. yeah these days were the best.

2009 : It was OK in about Jan-March but then I slowly began my descent to darkness. I had lost most of my friends for the exception of Pika (Now Zuzu). But I have returned from my absences in a attempt to start anew.

So yeah this year pretty much sucked for me.

Corvus of the Black Night
July 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
There was none, as I am not an Administrator yet.

Sarcasm aside, I think that my favourite month this year was March, and my dullest was the rest. Meh.

Caelus
July 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
2008: PC started off alright. I was posting a lot but at the same time I was lonely due to just joining. I'd say that was my worst. My best, and probably the golden years for me, were from December; I was most active here I think.

2009: Started out a bit rough but it got better. I lost a lot of interest during March but regained some on April Fools. After that I pretty much became inactive and only posted about once every other day... until last week.

I have a feeling that this will be another Golden era like it was in December.

Overall, I enjoyed very late 2008 most.

Bianca Paragon
July 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I...was pretty much the sole cause of Erica's worst time at PC. This was a time that I had hoped at the time I would have described as my "Golden Years" on the forum upon retrospective; to me at the time I was in heaven even though I couldn't help but draw people (and pretty much the entire forum) into drama and angst. I feel for the Queen; for our Queen and even though I was only a commoner in the Kingdom I knew I could make her mine. And I did.

But that changed me. I had what I wanted; and like an impudent little spoiled brat I wouldn't share my treasure; I alienated the both of us and through massive levels of insecurity drew the battle lines down the middle of the forum. What Erica said is right; you couldn't be neutral; you were either on our side or against us and there could be no midway point ~ it's these sort of radical schisms that cause wars to break out and this was no different. I *did* demand preferential treatment, I *did* manipulate people and I *did* cause friendships to tear apart. I *did* make this place a far less pleasant place to be. But worse than all that? I didn't care.

However, it's with the clear eyes of hindsight I realize what a horrible person I was in that little piece of PC's history; that, in the selfish desire to make myself feel good I made so many other people feel bad. And I committed these acts without regret. So, in knowing all that; in accepting that I was a bad person in this forum's history; what do *I* consider to be the "Golden Era" for PC?

This.

Right now.

ILU guys <3

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
July 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
.. I'll go year by year! :D

2006 - Amazing, especially April Fools, a lot of the best memories then. Just... everyone had a feeling of closeness, there wasn't much of a feeling of people being better than others then, unlike well, the later years.

Umm... I'm not really sure, to be honest. I really want to say my whole time here in PC was a golden era XD.

But I guess it would have to be 2008...But I may be a bit biased.

2008: When I joined and made my first few friends 8D

Also lightning I think 2006 was the golden era for everyone.

Overall, I enjoyed very late 2008 most.

It seems like everyone's first year at PC was their favorite and when they felt everybody was closer to each other... And seemingly anything after that is all fights and drama. haha!

I, of course, loved 2004 and think today is just fights and drama. XD

Swift!
July 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
2008: My early RP and Fanfiction eras.
2009: Becoming a supporter. :D

Captain Fabio
July 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Because I joined!

It was just awesome then.
Everyone was buzzing about random games.

Kazukii
July 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM
At the moment to be honest.. at this current time, I'm feeling more and more involved as the days go on :)

Avey
July 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
January '08, when Twinx, Fable, BeachBoy and I took over the Pokémon Daily Chit-Chat and basically spammed through fifteen pages or something.

Everyone else says that PC was so much more awesome before I joined though, so... yeah.

Wish
July 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
The golden era of PC had to be the time I came back to PC after two years which would put it around Late 2007 - Early 2008.

It's odd I don't say 2005, the year I joined, but I now realize that I made all my closest friends in 2007-2008 and I was just...happy to browse PC. I would also say 2009, for all the people I met this year, but with all the drama within this year, the bad covers up the good at this point. I just wish my friends from my "golden era" were active though. >:

Patchy
July 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I'd probably say around May 2008 until November or around then, when I traded for shinies and things I didn't really even need. It was great fun, and I had dragged a few of my friends here from another site. ;p

But now I'm not very active, and I guess my golden era won't be coming back the way it was. :(

seeker
July 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
The gold era for me is here and now. PC keeps getting better!
Even though i'm new now is the best. Everything is so perfect!

digi-kun
July 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I think it'd be sometime around 2003-mid2005 [yes, i joined at 2004 but still XD]

I think it was mostly because everyone was so laid back then. Like Eri said, there wasn't much drama, and most of it was resolved rather quickly. eh, I was actually semi-active back then, which may be some of the reason behind why I liked then too. Lesee, i'm pretty sure i joined the staff sometime early to mid 2005, and that was definitely fun, and the staff was fun to be around too (since most of us were friends from before we were staff anyways) [convo dragging is always fun]. There was definitely spam here and there, but it wasn't necessarily bad spam than it was social spam *coughcoughcrushthreadcoughcough*

I think the golden age ended a bit after, and mostly because...the Rep wars from back then, i think there was some drama with Kairi too, and...ya, everything kinda fell apart. Oh, and definitely finished when PC died due to constant database errors

Noah Ridgewood
July 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I found 2008 to be the best year I had at PC. I was starting to get to know a variety of completely different people, and it was really exciting. I made some great friendships with a lot of terrific people who mean a lot to me today. I didn't have to worry about how people thought of me, either. It was... more relaxing and enjoyable than it is now, that's for sure.

Gummy
July 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Despite the crap I've been through recently, 2009 is definitely the best year of PC for me. 2008 was nice, but it was the same stuff everything. My life was just a small circle of friends, bad gfx and fanfiction. Nowadays, I've got a lot more friends and we're all extremely close, my graphics have gotten better. Sadly I've left fanfiction behind, but I plan on returning to it by year's end.

Owl
July 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I just joined today and it seems like an awesome place. So I would say right now lol. :D

Shem
July 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
For me, I think my favourite time on PC was in early 2003. iirc it was juuust before PE2K split off back into its own board. That time up to before the database started really screwing around with the board is a time I look back on quite fondly. It was back when MOTM actually meant someone, there were so few active members that when someone had a birthday--EVERYONE knew them and could give a personalized message in their thread--and people weren't so confined to certain boards. Everyone just... knew everyone, and it was a very tight-knit community.

I may not have been here at that time, but I know what you're talking about, I've been on a forum like that and it's a blast!

But I would have to say this year's the best for me, I'm thinking it's because I took a nice 3 month plus break from here and matured a lot, so it's easier to have an intelligently post and converse, even though I still occasionally slip and say something really dumb, but who doesn't?

.inLOVE
July 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I can't believe I never left my comments on this. XD

Well, I never really liked PC on my old account. I had some good times, but then Claire left, and everything went downhill. It was a bad time for me.

On this account, I started off as a total noob. i talked liek dis. But I learned to get better at it. 2008 was a pretty fun year, but this year has just been amazing. I've made some really awesome friends, experienced some things I would have never tried otherwise, and learned A LOT. I don't even play Pokemon very much anymore, but I've become so attached to PC that I can't leave. This has truly been an amazing year that I'll remember for a looooooooong time.

donavannj
July 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Well, um... I don't really have a favorite time, though my past spurts of activity were all fun. If it's still going, let us consider it the "Golden Age".

Bianca Paragon
July 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I can't believe I never left my comments on this. XD

Well, I never really liked PC on my old account. I had some good times, but then Claire left, and everything went downhill. It was a bad time for me.

On this account, I started off as a total noob. i talked liek dis. But I learned to get better at it. 2008 was a pretty fun year, but this year has just been amazing. I've made some really awesome friends, experienced some things I would have never tried otherwise, and learned A LOT. I don't even play Pokemon very much anymore, but I've become so attached to PC that I can't leave. This has truly been an amazing year that I'll remember for a looooooooong time.
Haha, I totally miss Claire! We came to terms with our differences, some years ago ~ but then we fell outta contact.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
July 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I had two.

When I was called ~Enu~,
I I just got out of Total-internet-newb stage and was becoming a true-blue member,
I was into making comics foir the first time.

My first successful series, Poke'mon weird, happend in this time.

Back then,
I was talking most to Gymleaderlily, Tbone, and mrplanters.
Tbone also had his comic, which I squeed about everytime a new one was up.
Because then we would have fun with the thread about it.

I also meet people such as ZephyrPlusle & Omega Latios.

But those were the days where there were plenty of "Adventures in PC!" comics. :3

The second era was when the last one died, and I was known as Achamo.
I got friends such as Neko (Known as Neko Hinta now, I think.), Xairmo, KageX, And the others (that I don't talk to now).

That was right after my ban sentence was over, I believe.

I still talk to them now, but that age of fanclubs and My other succesful comic, Pokemon Odd, are all done.

But, I think I see a new awesome era approching.
So squee.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
the Golden age for me couldn't have been this year or last year really because I haven't been active as much (excluding this June, July and August, since its summer and I have no job) so I guess for me it had to be 2006 when I first joined

:t354:TG

Tater Tot
July 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Late 2005 was great. Some of PC's best members joined then. :D

My worst time on here so far... July 2009, lawl.. :[

LethalTexture
July 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I believe I joined after the last awesome period on PC, in fact I only joined to trade with people and bolster my collection. It kinda snowballed from there really; venturing into the Diamond and Pearl forum (since the Wi-Fi Forums were sub-forums of D/P back then) and eventually other areas of PC, before I was taken compltely by suprise when I became a moderator.

But I've never been popular here or even mixed a great deal with various groups etc., I'm more or less stuck in anonymity wile doing the best job I can as a moderator. =/

But for me, the best part was when Platinum was released. Alot of work for the mods at D/P/P, but just the buzz surrounding it was brilliant to be a part of. I expect more fun over in the HG/SS area when that is released, passing the proverbial mantle and most of the activity over to there.