PDA

View Full Version : Wireless power system shown off. @_@

Netto Azure
July 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well since people rarely go to the SciTech forum. D:

Wireless power system shown off (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8165928.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46104000/jpg/_46104854_tv007533864.jpg

Witricity claims to be able to charge gadgets large and small

A system that can deliver power to devices without the need for wires has been shown off at a hi-tech conference.
The technique exploits simple physics and can be used to charge a range of electronic devices.
Eric Giler, chief executive of US firm Witricity, showed mobile phones and televisions charging wirelessly at the TED Global conference in Oxford.
He said the system could replace the miles of expensive power cables and billions of disposable batteries.
"There is something like 40 billion disposable batteries built every year for power that, generally speaking, is used within a few inches or feet of where there is very inexpensive power," he said.
Trillions of dollars, he said, had also been invested building an infrastructure of wires "to get power form where it is created to where it is used."
"We love this stuff [electricity] so much," he said.
Mr Giler showed off a Google G1 phone and an Apple iPhone that could be charged using the system.
Witricity, he said, had managed to pack all the necessary components into the body of the G1 phone, but Apple had made that process slightly harder.
"They don't make it easy at Apple to get inside their phones so we put a little sleeve on the back," he said.
He also showed off a commercially available television using the system.
"Imagine you get one of these things and you want to hang it on the wall," he said. "Think about it, you don't want those ugly cords hanging down."

That's a far cry from the old Tesla Coils. :3

Mitchman
July 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
So its basically a gas station but with electricity? Win! I was talking about the car pic...
The idea of soundwaves though is excellent.

Captain Fabio
July 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
This idea has always been coming and would always be released.

There are many good things with it, but also bad things.
Good is an obvious one, no cords and no trying to find a charger or anything like that.

Bad is a little longer.
Is it strong enough to go through objects and not cut out when someone walks past it or is occluded by something.
How much energy does it consume?
How much is it?

The last two bad points are more for when it, which I think it will, moves into our homes.

.little monster
July 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
About how much energy it consumes..

It would constantly be consuming it and releasing it out even if nothing is there, unless there is some sort of automated system. Which is when I hope that it is powered by solar, wind, or geothermal means.

Spinor
July 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wow. I thought of a system like that when I was a kid and I never thought it would be possible.

Well, with science these days I am about to half expect animal telepathy.