PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anybody like Hoenn?

xXI JOE IXx
July 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Everywhere I go, youtube, school, even here sometimes people say hoenn was terrible... Why?! I absolutely loved it!

Bagel
July 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
its just a odd region. the pokemon are there are just boring.

it wasnt as fun as the others

InsaneMetagross
July 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I love the Hoenn games I have all 3 of them. But I like fire red and Platinum better.

processr
July 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
This may come as a shock, but not everyone has the same opinion as you.

KingAlex
July 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I agree, it was odd.... o.O

But not boring, I had Emerald though, never tried R/B, so maybe the other two were....?

Sweet Smoochum
July 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think everyone dislikes Hoenn. I just didn't like some of the Hoenn Pokemon. They look better in the Sinnoh games, though.

ZestyCactus
July 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I don't get why people hate the Hoenn games. The new Pokémon are WAY cooler than Gen II or Gen IV's and everything is so charming! It's so much fun to play and the contests DON'T suck. More people should like Gen III. :(

salmence33
July 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
well on R/S there wasn't much to do after you beat the elite four except catch the regis

~Prodigy~
July 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I suppose they were the least favourite of my generations, mainly sprouting from the fact that while it used new features, it was content to stop after the E4. Someone's already said there's only the battle tower, Rayquaza (Or Groudon and Kyogre on Emerald), and the Regis. Of course, Emerals added the battle frontier, but it wasn't as fun as Sinnoh's frontier is.

Wings Don't Cry
July 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I thought it was good and besides there wasn't anything to do after the E4 in GenI but people don't hate it and if you so it's different because it's the original than that's just pathetic,not that I didn't like Kanto but you can't only hate Hoenn for a reason that applies to another region.

Giraffes? Giraffes!
July 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Honestly, when i first played Ruby, i got lost so many times... The part of the game with all the diving was so confusing... I doubt anyone else had trouble with it but it was incredibly hard for me to navigate the waters. I did like the Hoenn games just not as much as the previous games.

Cαndy
July 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Everyone has their own likes. And i know some of us likes or loves Hoenn as well. So don't worry!. ^.^

xXI JOE IXx
July 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Dude, I only asked a question, you dont have to be a complete ass about it.

Pekachoo
July 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I thought the story and stuff was okay
but most of the pokemon were bad...
also i totally missed the master ball because it was put in like team aqua's base.
how was i supposed to know that?

Rinku
July 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Well, I'd say that the majority of people who dislike Hoenn just don't like the Pokemon. I think the region itself is okay, but the only thing that throws me off is, of course, the Pokemon.

Chimchar007
July 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
well i dont like it cause of the pokemon sprites but i liked it cause of the battle frontier.

mew²
July 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I personally loved Hoenn. Plus, it was the first region I have ever played (minus the Pokemon Stadium 1&2 Regions). Plus I am a Team Magma fan :D

Mutt19
July 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Yes Probably 40% of my my least favorite pokemon are 3rd generation pokemon but 50% of my favorite pokemon are 3rd generation pokemon also P.S Yes part of that 40% of 3rd generation pokemon I hate is torchic and yes Treeko is in my 50% of my favorite pokemon in hoenn and besides all the TV shows in the hoenn region were really good my favorite region for the pokemon TV show

Kazukii
July 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM

I have to agree with this comment. It really was just odd

Pocchama01
July 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
The pokemon were my favorite part about Hoenn. I liked about 90% of the pokemon in hoenn (as opposed to the ~10% of the Kanto pokemon and 85% of Johto pokemon that I liked) Plus, Pokemon ruby was the first video game I ever played and when I started I only knew about like 4 of the new pokemon. It was fun going through and seeing all the pokemon I never knew about :) I also thought the region was pretty cool. I do think there was just a little too much water, but I easily overlooked that because I was having too much fun to care about a few tentacool and wingull. At least the surfing speed was high enough to get you from Lillycove to Mossdeep in like a minute or two (even with the random encounters)

Meganium`
July 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I don't know why. My friend, sister and I all like Hoenn.

Kanto_Johto
July 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I liked it. Just not as much as Johto and Kanto. For me it's Sinnoh that was ****. Possibly because I've grown up.

FreakyLocz14
July 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hoenn was great go Ruby version

Wings Don't Cry
July 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I don't see how the Pokemon were boring, you had like Metagross some 4 legged metal guy who was ultra strong but you think that's more boring than a Seal called Seel

Kanto_Johto
July 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I don't see how the Pokemon were boring, you had like Metagross some 4 legged metal guy who was ultra strong but you think that's more boring than a Seal called Seel

To hell with that statement! Not to mention that it's unfair to compare a basic Pokemon with a 3rd stage one.

Seel>Metagross.

hank jones
July 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I love hoenn! Its my favorite region! I don't care what anyone says, hoenn region rocks!

xSeduction
July 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Oh please. Seel was adorable, and you know it. And personally, I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.
Nowadays all you get is random names that are hard to pronounce.

BAHAH. High five! ..No? Okay.. -Slinks back to my corner.-

Cassino
July 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It's probably how generations I and II were linked together so closely. Generation III, Hōen, is very much removed from that — being an entirely different setting for the first time. Presumably it just made everyone go "wtf where're the other regions?" and automatically dislike it for missing the regions and things like time of day out. I was personally disappointed solely for those two reasons.

The question is why it's particularly unpopular. If some people dislike something, and they will, it's all fair do's and nothing can be made of it — this is the situation your post would be relevant to; but when something is clearly disliked by the majority, as Hōen is, something is up and it should be reasonable to appeal said majority for reason.

The Roshi
July 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I think the pokemon weren't as odd as Gen IV pokemon. But the reason I really don't like hoenn is because it really seemed like a filler game. Just a game with some new features but nothing mind blowing. The one thing it did introduce that I think is cool is the whole trainer-throws-pokeball-into-battle feature. That was definitely a plus. But uhh yeah it just seemed like a straightforward game. No surprising features and no end-game.

Stellar
July 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm sure there are many people who like Hoenn, though I personally don't. Maybe it's because I grew up on R/B/Y and in my heart there are still only 151 Pokemon. Though that isn't totally true, because Johto was my favorite region. <3

>Feelings<
July 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Everywhere I go, youtube, school, even here sometimes people say hoenn was terrible... Why?! I absolutely loved it!

This is because most people get annoyed with the huge amount of water, and with it the huge encounter rate. They also get bored when they see Tentacool and Magikarp a lot.
That must be the reason.

But I'm on your side. I absolutely loved it!
Each Pokemon game has its own "feel" to it, from which most of it are unique to a single game.
That's what makes each game special to me.

Niprop
July 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
<.<

>.>

...I liked Hoenn...As much as I liked Johto...

*Awaits being stoned and hung for saying such blasphemy*

Wings Don't Cry
July 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Oh please. Seel was adorable, and you know it. And personally, I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.

I loved Seel but I was just trying to prove how hypocritical people can get about it.

Sweet Smoochum
July 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Seel is actually cute. Whismur, on the other hand, looks like somebody painted a pile of poo and tried passing it off as a Pokemon.

It's not that I don't like Hoenn, it's just I like the other regions better.

Don't flame me for my remarks.

NatureKeeper
July 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Whazzma?! Hoenn is boring?! Go! Rayquaza!, do some damage to the posts who said so!

Hoenn had more mysteries to solve, a LEGENDARY STORYLINE('compared to Kanto and Johto)!

What about Blaziken? That guy who beat Charizard in the anime whilist Charizard had a resistance to him by two moves!

Torchic is the cutest starter of all, as mentioned by Amity Square DP, before they implemented the full set of Sinnoh Starters in Amity Square Pl. OH! So cute ! :) And in *drumroll* HOENN!

Salamence!
Keckleon!
Metagross!
Groudon!
Kyogre!
The Regitrio!
Rayquaza!
Deoxys
Jirachi!
Chemicho!

These all debuted in the hoenn dex!

So? Whatcha thinkin'?

thorn96
July 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I liked Hoenn. But it didn't beat the other games in any way. I mean, the GBA was capable of so much more than what R/S/E had to offer, and some of the Pokemon were.. strange. Like Mawile. *shudder* They were still great games, but they just felt too different to the series.

I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.

Right... we only get random names in the more recent games... huh.
<cough>Pikachu<cough>Fearow<cough>Arbok<cough>

I can go on. :badsmile:

NatureKeeper
July 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I liked Hoenn. But it didn't beat the other games in any way. I mean, the GBA was capable of so much more than what R/S/E had to offer, and some of the Pokemon were.. strange. Like Mawile. *shudder* They were still great games, but they just felt too different to the series.

Right... we only get random names in the more recent games... huh.
<cough>Pikachu<cough>Fearow<cough>Arbok<cough>

I can go on. :badsmile:

How?

Torchic: Torch+Chick

Combusken: Combustion + Ken, I feel it karate-ish somehow

Blaziken= Blazing + Ken

Shall I go on?

And Pikachu: Pika 'Japanese for Electric'+ Chu 'Japanese for Mouse)

Fearow: Fear+ Sparrow

Arbok's totally random, I know.

Demigod
July 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Actually the more the serie go on the less good it is.. and you're right with the fact that we may be growing up and we don't like the newest as much. Kanto and johto were so good :)

Blue Nocturne
July 26th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Seel is actually cute. Whismur, on the other hand, looks like somebody painted a pile of poo and tried passing it off as a Pokemon.

It's not that I don't like Hoenn, it's just I like the other regions better.

Don't flame me for my remarks.

No one will, you speak the truth.
I liked quite a lot of the pokemon in Hoenn, but some where a little stupid, such as the painted poo, flygon (a good pokemon but a ridiculous name and look IMO) and an alien that looks like it has actually seen skitty on wailord action.

I liked the fact that most of hoenn was so diverse with its rainforests and volcanoes, but the large quantity of water annoyed me because of its lack of distinction. The water was boring and jellyfish infested, and i dont like jellyfish, they are scary and stingy.

I dont like hoenn as much as i like sinnoh or johto, but it was a very good standalone game and has a very unique feel to it which sets it apart from all the others. I think that may be why some people dont like it.

The main problem i have wth RSE is its main theme and the route themes that sound really similar to it. I just hate it compared to other games.

Sweet Smoochum
July 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM
How?

Torchic: Torch+Chick

Combusken: Combustion + Ken, I feel it karate-ish somehow

Blaziken= Blazing + Ken

Shall I go on?

And Pikachu: Pika 'Japanese for Electric'+ Chu 'Japanese for Mouse)

Fearow: Fear+ Sparrow

Arbok's totally random, I know.

Arbok is kobra (cobra) backwards. XD

Ekans is Snake backwards.

How did they come up with the name Numel? I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Salamence, Metagross, and Walrein. But I don't like these: Deoxys, Whismur, Makuhita. Makuhita reminds me of the Macarena. Some of them appeared useless to me: Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia (before they gave it an evo and pre-evo).

I think the reason why I didn't like Hoenn as much was because the organizations just didn't seem as evil as Team Rocket. I liked Sapphire better than Ruby. I just didn't like the Battle Frontier or contests. (I like the Sinnoh Frontier and Contests better.)

thorn96
July 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Arbok is kobra (cobra) backwards. XD

Ekans is Snake backwards.

Lol, I missed that one :D

If you want more random names, how about Vulpix, Paras, Nidoran, Geodude?

And to get back on topic, it does seem that the games got worse throughout the series. Except for D/P/P, they freakin' ROCKED!

xxxLatiasxxx
July 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hoenn was ok mostly I disliked Hoenn because of manly most of the pokemon that it introduced.

Avey
July 26th, 2009, 01:41 AM
It's not the people hate Hoenn, or dislike it. It's just that every other generation was better.

Pekachoo
July 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
To hell with that statement! Not to mention that it's unfair to compare a basic Pokemon with a 3rd stage one.

Seel>Metagross.

LOLZ DEWGONG FTW
anyway the pokemans could have been better

TheUltimat
July 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
To be honest (feel free to correct me if you disagree), I think that it's not that people didn't like Hoenn, it's just that people preferred Johto and Kanto.

Alli
July 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I think the pokemon weren't as odd as Gen IV pokemon. But the reason I really don't like hoenn is because it really seemed like a filler game. Just a game with some new features but nothing mind blowing. The one thing it did introduce that I think is cool is the whole trainer-throws-pokeball-into-battle feature. That was definitely a plus. But uhh yeah it just seemed like a straightforward game. No surprising features and no end-game.

Um. Hello? Double battles anyone? Contests? Battle Frontier? Abilities? Natures? The 3rd generation reshaped the entire battling process.

Anyway, after Yellow (which I lost and was too young to comprehend), I stuck with the anime, TCG, and N64 games until Ruby and Sapphire came out. That's what got me back into the handheld games, so no, I do not hate Hoenn, nor do I hate any region. Every generation has something you like and something you don't like. It happens, and if you can't take it in a game, have fun taking it when it's something in the real world.

It's not the people hate Hoenn, or dislike it. It's just that every other generation was better.

With that also in mind, RSE had some big shoes to fill in following GSC.

Bigdog
July 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I can adimt to that sentiment, SilverSmeagle, because at first the games felt like a downgrade from GSC . But as I played through it, I loved Aron's line, Mudkip's line and Torchic's line. Zizzagoon was pretty adorable , and Poochyena was just a great staple along with Seedot's line, Electrike's line and Lotad's line. I was just disappointed by Taillow's evolution line because I imagined that an evolution after Swellow would've been epic because the final could've been based on a Condor.

Genetics
July 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hoenn was okay diddn't really like the legendary trio in hoenn but I have no huge complaints against it since it gave us salamance and metagross.

The Green One
July 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
R/S/E was the last generation I played. That made me dislike Hoenn, as Emerald is inferior to Pearl for me. Most of the pokemon like Makuhita and Whismur are just really crappy. Ralts is one of the few 3rd generation Pokemon worth catching early on. It takes a while to get ones worth training like Trapinch and Bagon.

Most generation 3 pokemon are rip-offs of others. Gulpin, Spheal, etc. They just tried adding too much variety and ended up with rubbish ones like Volbeat and Carvanha.

Kanto_Johto
July 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
How did they come up with the name Numel? I just don't get it.

Well isn't it obvious? Cos he iz a Lemun.

:3
July 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I played Ruby so much I eventually got bored of Hoen. Eh.
I like Kanto and Sinnoh more.

MewMewXX
July 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I loved Hoenn too. The one I didn't like much was Johto; it was kind of a let-down after Kanto. R/B/Y were AWESOME!! =D

Alli
July 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I loved Hoenn too. The one I didn't like much was Johto; it was kind of a let-down after Kanto. R/B/Y were AWESOME!! =D

Wow. That's definitely a first. Here's to you for being very, very different, mon ami.

Drew
July 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM

I second that. D:

Hoenn is my favorite region, as well as my favorite series of the anime so far.

Johto was a let down, to me.

The games didn't hold my interest like I hoped, and the anime I found to be boring, so I didn't watch it much. This is why I'm really hoping HG/SS will change my mind about Johto. Maybe with a graphics upgrade, and my first real play through in eight years, I'll like it more.

IcyArceusRider
July 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I think the Hoenn region was great. ^^

Probably the reason why there are a lot of people who don't like it is because there just wasn't an incredibly good selection of awesome pokemon to get early in the game and train up for the Elite 4. Like, all you can get is Shroomish and Surskit and Poochyena and Electrike....but I thought that made it more challenging.

Alli
July 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Probably the reason why there are a lot of people who don't like it is because there just wasn't an incredibly good selection of awesome pokemon to get early in the game and train up for the Elite 4. Like, all you can get is Shroomish and Surskit and Poochyena and Electrike....but I thought that made it more challenging.

I thought so too, actually. And Trapinch isn't that far off in the game. You can get him before the 5th gym, and that's good enough for me. -shrug- Bagon being after the 8th gym is a pain, but still, a great Pokemon like Salamence? I can wait for that power.

Silhouette
July 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hoenn games were the very best IMO. It might not even be gameplay (okay, it's a huge factor), but simply the memories. All the time spent in the Union Room chat in Emerald.. Ah, good times. XD

I quoted this from a thread exactly like this. x_x

White Glint
July 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
So.....the one game with more Special Fetures than a Robot Chicken DVD gets no credit? Yeah. I'm devastated.

Anyway, I loved Emerald, so Hoenn Region was awesome. Though.....Johto wasn't that bad. I loved Crystal personally, but, and I re-quote this post:

So...get over it, I say.

Tali
July 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
gold and silver had 2 regions, and r/s had one and the pokemon were kinda gay (some) and apricorns were replaced with berrys when i just liked the psncureberry and iceberry when the names decribed the berry now the berrys are confusing. but i think the 4th generation pokemon are pushing the coolness of pokemon. i only like pokemon from I-II generations. after that it got dumb. "too much of a good thing isnt good all the time". i would play heartgold if it only had the first 2 gen pokemon

FFX383
July 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I loved Hoenn. It had the best music and the atmosphere was really summery in my opinion so it just made me happy playing it.

Falcon Wing
July 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I "liked" Hoenn, but I would honestly rather play silver/gold/crystal than ruby/sapphire. (Not Emerald...Emerald was awesome) Maybe that was because I played ruby/sapphire so much I eventually got tired of it?

Darkfox1525
July 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
R/S/E Was cool IMO, yeah, some of the pokemon looked stupid, but lots of other pokemon looked awsome. i don't see any reason Why many people hate it.

.Busou Kihaku.
July 27th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I honestly don't understand the Hoenn hate.
I mean, compared to Diamond and Pearl, Hoenn's Pokemons where supremely normal.

E4 is a big miss there. Too weak.
And whoever talked about Shroomish obviously doesn't know the extent of its power when it evolves into Breloom -.-

Lycaeus
July 27th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Mehh, I just never got into Hoenn. I actually stopped playing the games by the fifth badge and started playing Crystal again :P.

The starters sucked if you asked me (besides Mudkip ^^) and IDK the only thing I liked about Hoenn was the improved graphics and Poochyena.

Kratosx
July 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Since Im a huge fan of water and fire pokes I loved Hoenn , its one of my fave regions, but liked all regions in theire one special way

MewTwo,Lucario and Glaceon Rocks
July 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
There aren't any eevee evolutions
and Roxxane Haves Geodude>Nosepass
And lots of rock leaders haves Geodude>Onix

me2hack
July 28th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Well at first it was cool, but after that R/S got boring, not much to do.
But Emerald was better, it had more events and it had the frontier.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
because its peoples opinions and I think you should respect it

:t354:TG

Timbjerr
July 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Hoenn is my personal favorite region. I love the geography of it, I love the story of it, I love the graphical and gameplay overhaul that came with it, I love the Weaher trio and Teams Aqua/Magma.

Sinnoh is the region I hate the most. >.>

Halcyon
July 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM
A Hoenn lover, here... *waves*
Not everyone hates Hoenn you know. xD

ZestyCactus
July 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is my favourite region, actually. The graphics are so fresh and inviting, the new Pokémon are generally pretty awesome, the Secret Bases were a great addition (sadly I find the Gen IV bases really boring), and RS had the first major overhaul of the PC. I actually liked that the Hoenn games were a fresh start from the previous generations, GSC felt like "Pocket Monsters 2" but RS felt like a whole new game. Also, it never bothered me that you can't move Pokémon from GSC to RSE... I don't get why people get so worked up about it. If you're THAT worried about preserving your 1998 Event Mew or whatever... then send it to Stadium 2 or something. DX

Casey333
July 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe your someone who likes islands and water and junk but that didnt really fit me. It was an ok region. Just very forgettable with the pokemon. The only good thing IMO that came out of hoenn were babies for Marill and Wobuffet.

Popstar Leafeon
July 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I liked all the regions, actually. For different reasons. Kanto was where I got my start, Johto started me on my liking for battles, my knowledge of Pokemon, and my liking for grass-types, Hoenn introduced weather, and it had more water routes, which other games lacked at the time, Sinnoh introduced the past of the Pokemon world, the possibility of different Pokemon colors due to location, and the day/night system's revival. Looking forward to the next region! ^.^

MrLKK
July 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I honestly don't like Hoenn much, emerald is so-so Sapphire kind of bored me, i played Silver, Crystal, Red, and my Yellow non-stop when i got them, Sapphire went on and off

Generation II is my favorite though

guardian of altomare
July 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
i think hoenn is the best region and the hoenn games where the best too

Blaziquaza
July 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I liked it the most,because of some of the features,and Emerald was the first game I ever played...

ALC_Allstar
July 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
The second pokemon game that I played was pokemon emerald and I loved it. I thought Hoenn was pretty good. I played crystal before I played emerald.

groudonlover
July 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I completely loved this region!
The Battle Tower takes enough time as it is, you had a lot of things to do.
I caught the entire Dex except the Sapphire Exclusive ones and the Treecko and Mudkip series...

MegaSH8
July 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hoenn was pretty enjoyable but Kanto just flat-out bored me.... :p

Lady Gaga
July 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
it was pretty good, just oo much water! other than that it should have been one of the greatest!

Divine~Deoxys
July 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I liked it the most,because of some of the features,and Emerald was the first game I ever played...

Yeah me too.

I get the point about too much water, but at least it was a lot easier than LeafGreen, which was too hard early on, but then got really good as you found good pokemon on them island thingys.

GBA games have one thing over D/P and Platinum, specially LeafGreen, and that's that it doesn't just keep inventing legendaries every time you go in a cave.

If you ask me, Hoenn is the best, as it has new pokes, but not too many, and has better story than the others. ( partially because it hardly gives anything away until you see Groudon, whereas D/P gave it all away with statues etc.)

TwiggyTwink
July 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
For me, Johto and Kanto >>>>>>> life

Hoenn, again to me, just feels like a mindless grind =/

Drew
July 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM

I feel the same way, a bit.. I was out of the Pokemon fandom for a years.

Pokemon Ruby, and the anime counterpart was what got me back into the series.

ianmichael7
July 31st, 2009, 12:51 AM
I disliked it mainly because they were trying to top off g/s/c... which is pretty hard to do considering how large and orginized it was... I think people don't like it when they compare it to other games... The only thing that a ton of people like about it is just like fire red, people with make fun hacks with it. So it does have it's ups and downs... nothing wrong with the pokemon though... i personally liked them!

JBW
July 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
The FR/LG towns are more boring yet it does have more stuff to do after E4. But all the towns are so interesting in R/S/E. My favourites the one where everyone lives in treehouses and the the floating town.

magrathean
July 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I personally loved the Hoenn games. FR/LG were the boring ones for me... Hoenn was a little odd, but that's what made it so fun.

When I was little, although I played the original games on my friends' GBCs, borrowing them for weeks on end until they got mad at me... I never owned any games until Sapphire. They were the first games I got excited over because I had gotten a GBA for Christmas and could finally play Pokemon games.

The Hoenn region holds a special place in my heart.

Musashi ✖
August 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I like Hoenn ;___;
To be honest, it was one of the regions I liked the best.
The music was awesome, there were some pretty cool new Pokémon, the secret base thing and pokémon could even dive underwater...everytime I play any of the Hoenn games I feel relaxed, don't ask me why.
I dunno...there is something magic about it. In my opinion of course.

MegaKirby
August 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Hoenn was okay but, I still prefer the other 3 region over it, to be honest.

D. Lawride
August 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hoenn wasn't bad, but Johto still conquers the top. :p

xXI JOE IXx
August 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM
People are saying Hoenn had to much water, it did. Thats fair, but didn't johto have quite alot aswell? I may be wrong as i never played gen 2 properly

Roxasabridged
August 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Not enough me water to make hate surfing even a single tile.

SilentHeroX
August 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
The fact that those games came out after what was the G/S/C era is what made a lot of people dislike the games. The 2nd gen games brought so many new features so people expected a lot more from the 3rd gen. Personally I enjoyed the Hoenn region a lot of the towns were interesting and a couple of my favorite Pokemon were introduced in those games. The only thing I didn't like was that there was really nothing left to do after you beat the E4 besides the Battle Frontier.

Jweeson
August 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I personally dislike Kanto the most of all of them. >.> I've just played that generation way too many times. Although I do feel that they were trying for another G/S/C kind of game.

Devil's Guitarist
August 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
well i liked it,i've emerald and had ruby,so i've played a lot with them.i think that it's a really cool region i love the themes and the way u advance foward.
For me the worst pokemon game is diamond/pearl/platinum because it's really boring,and the story sucks.
But i must agree that the best are kanto and johto

Axєl
August 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Well, I'd say that the majority of people who dislike Hoenn just don't like the Pokemon. I think the region itself is okay, but the only thing that throws me off is, of course, the Pokemon.

Mmmhm, that goes for me too.

I loved the Region itself, and AG anime series.. I just.. didn't care too much for the Pokemon. My list of favorite Pokemon is long, but I don't think any of my top 15 or 20 come from Hoenn. ; ;

Yusshin
August 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Lol, I missed that one :D

If you want more random names, how about Vulpix, Paras, Nidoran, Geodude?

Geodude = Earth + Dude (Slang for Guy)

Nidoran = Nido (Japanese for 2x) + Ran (Taken from Picarana, an African Rodent)

Vulpix = Vulpes (Latin for "Fox") + Six

Paras = Short-Form of Parasect (although it was initially intended to be called "Parayste")

There are origins to every Pokémon name :\

As for Hoenn, the feel of it just wasn't great. It introduced a lot of new, vital ideas to Pokémon, but overall, the region itself was terrible and the Pokémon weren't charming. There wasn't anything that really pulled you in and kept you attached.

In my honest opinion, the best region was Johto. Kanto or Sinnoh may follow; I haven't explored Sinnoh at 100% but Kanto appears to have a better lay-out. We'll see.

LightSlei
August 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm going to say I don't hate them, but they disappointed me. Because I was expecting to see Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn in the games, I know that's a lot. It also as has been said has way too much water, way way way too much water >.<. I got lost in it once. And it seems like, oh you beat the Elite 4? Congratulations, go eat a plate of grass or play through this again. I wanted to cry after I beat the elite 4 that it seems like the programmers just said screw it, we just want cash.

Dark-Soul
August 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
As most of the replies in this thread said, the Heonn region is completely boring, and kind of odd, that's why I didn't I like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald at all. I played all Kanto and Johto Pokémon games insanely, and got unstoppable teams in them. (Against NPCs, not link battles! :P) I never played a game in Sinnoh. :(

SmashBro
August 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
i liked Hoenn, but the pokemon weren't as cool and it doesn't it wasn't able to be as great as gen 2, but emerald did save it a bit

yoshikiller995
August 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I didn't really like Hoenn that much until I played through Emerald, that it started to grow on me a bit. It's still not my favorite, but I like it better then some, -coughSinnohcough-

kaoskaix
August 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
My favorite region is hands down kanto, thats where it all started. It didn't need good graphics, in fact part of me likes those crappy sprites better than the new ones. it was just better layed out as all types had a spot. Johto would be next because, well it had a style all its own. almost as if it was from a time before kanto, it felt older in origin. Also they both had some of my favorite pokemon, easily filling my top tens of both legendary and non legendary.

Hoenn was much different, the pokemon lost their natural charm and took on a more "neo" style. I don't mean that to sound bad its not really, there were pokemon i enjoyed greatly. as a matter of fact, I probably hate less pokemon from that region than any other, but at the same time there are only like 2 pokemon i would consider being in maybe my top 20. the region was great it varied so much but it messed up with not adding more fire pokemon. It gets the series's first volcano that you actually climb and get next to the lava flow but it introduces how many catable fire pokemon, well not enough. I understand there should be less fire pokemon than a lot of other types but there is way too few for having nearly 500 pokemon. plus i hated the regis. would have meant something if any of them had been an element i cared for

Sinnoh however was the opposite, all i ever remember was a mountain and thats about it then sometimes there was snow, but it was on the mountain. it did however have good pokemon, as well as pokemon that i hate.

With everything considered i would have to say hoenn and sinnoh are my least liked regions for certain but even then i still like them a great deal. as for the maps well i hate sinnoh completely but hoenn is still 3rd

シルバー
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
My favorite region is hands down kanto, thats where it all started. It didn't need good graphics, in fact part of me likes those crappy sprites better than the new ones. it was just better layed out as all types had a spot. Johto would be next because, well it had a style all its own. almost as if it was from a time before kanto, it felt older in origin. Also they both had some of my favorite pokemon, easily filling my top tens of both legendary and non legendary.

I agree to that. After GSC, Pokemon began to lose its charm. RSE seemed a bit boring but DPP was horribly boring. The surroundings had no charm to them nor did any events in my opinion.

La Foudre
August 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Even though it was the first pokemon game I ever beat, I tried to replay it awhile ago and it was just.. boring.

thegeneticway
August 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I loved Hoenn!

It was my favorite region!
Especially the Emerald Battle Frontier.

It was so fun unlike the Sinnoh one.

I was racking up BP like my life depended on it!

I bought the Charizard,Venusaur, and Blastoise Doll which was 256 BP and was racking up until 500.

Yay Battle Dome!

Munch Dog
August 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
It was just kind of meh to me. RSE just feels out of place compared to the other games, the pokemon, the environment, it all just felt really different, almost too different. And yeah, after GSC I was expecting a lot more than what I got out of it. I also thought there was too much water, I dun like jellyfish. D:

All in all, it wasn't horrible, it just wasn't that great compared the other regions.

Painter
August 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM
well it was ok my favorite region was easily johto cuz they were my first ever pokemon game when they came out when i was like 6 i think and i loved them i really miss those days

Divine~Deoxys
August 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hmm...Hoenn's defo my favourite region. I just love Lotad and its evolutions, they're awesome.
Yes, it does have too much water, but at least, unlike FR/LG, you don't have to catch 60 pokes to get stuff like Exp. Share (i means, ffs, next thing you know your runnin out of items coz u spent all ur money on poke balls, then u run out of money coz u lost to people).

The t.v. show was gud for Hoenn, compared to Sinnoh (which is shite).

Also, just like Painter with Johto, my first game was Emerald (admittedly i was 10, bit late for getting into pokemon), so i'm always gonna like that region more.

Green1124
August 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
hoenn and johto are my fav regions

.hack
August 8th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Johto is by far without a doubt the best Reigon.
Kanto is also brilliant but not quite as good.
Sinnoh is $£%$
Hoenn isn't the worst Reigon it had it's strong points (Lotad,Ralts,Mudkipz,Blaziken and Grumpig) but it just can't compare to Kanto no matter Johto.

Yoshimi
August 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I hated it. Half of the region was water. That meant countless hours of meeting up with nothing but wingull, tentacool, and an occasional magikarp. The pokemon were also bland, not that the other pokemon weren't. WOW, a cocoon and a worm. They didn't have that in a forest. Lastly, it featured the most worthless pokemon ever. LUVDISC. It was okay otherwise, and the introduction of the secret base was a huge plus to it.

Octorox
August 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I didn't like Hoenn because it's where the started trying to "replace" pokemon.

for example

pidgey/spearow becomes taillow
rattata/sentret becomes zigzagoon
weedle/caterpie and evos becomes wurmple and evos
dratini and evos becomes bagon and evos
gastly becomes duskull/shuppet

Johto always felt like the next step up from RBY, more pokemon, more features, new evos of old pokemon

while Hoenn seemed like it was trying to replace RBY, replacing beloved staples like pidgey and butterfree with new wannabe pokemon like taillow and beautifly

I just felt like the "niche" of most of the Hoenn pokemon filled were already met by older Pokemon. When I found out I couldn't catch gastly or caterpie or pidgeotto in these new games, i was distraught

Also they got rid of Day/Night >_<

Also those god damn trumpet synths >_o'

sorry I'm just ranting. Looking back the games weren't so bad. They're actually my friends' favorite gen

RedLapras
August 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hoenn was tolerable, IMO much weaker than Kanto or Johto. However, from the looks of it it seems better than Sinnoh, which I still cannot bring myself to buy... (the lack of DS doesn't help any :P)

KitFox
August 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Perhaps because has no GBA games so "contact" was lost. But its really cool for me. Perhaps the best region

Napalm
August 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
It was very blank... I can't say much else, it was like nothing else (in a bad way). I just don't know what. Just the feeling of the game.

MudkipRush!!!
August 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I also wonder why people dislike the Hoenn games so. I think the new ones are kinda... strange. Is it me, or are the pokemon getting more strange and sorta Japanese-looking as the games go on?

The one grudge I have against these games, though is the fact that you can MUDKIP RUSH!!! them. AKA Pick Mudkip as starter and use only him for battles.

LightSlei
August 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I also wonder why people dislike the Hoenn games so. I think the new ones are kinda... strange. Is it me, or are the pokemon getting more strange and sorta Japanese-looking as the games go on?

The one grudge I have against these games, though is the fact that you can MUDKIP RUSH!!! them. AKA Pick Mudkip as starter and use only him for battles.

I can do that with just about every starter in every game...

Chrono
August 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM

This is pretty true, Well I liked Emerald though, it was pretty neat

thegeneticway
August 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I loved Hoenn ^_^

What won me over was the Battle Dome. It was very fun to play and the music was incredibly pleasant.

But I didn't like Firered much.

The graphics weren't that good, and they got rid of HM's I liked like Dive.

EagleVision1999
August 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Uhmmm...A big reason for me to dislike the game was the story and especially the evil Teams. Those guys had the silliest goals ever and just fail science forever.
What the hell could be positive about expanding the land or the sea? Can't help it, they were so ridicoulous I actually wanted to kill 'em intead of just defeating their Pokemon (or at least Kick their ass).
So I couldn't relate with them at all (which I could with the other bosses).
The first two gens had Team Rocket, who were mafia like with just the goal to make money and doing some cloning. I found that pretty interesting. Plus, Giovanni was really evil, plus he was also a decent gym leader. They had somewhat modern goals which made them easy understandable.
The forth gen enemies were pretty epic and Cyrus were probably the most intersting boss of them all with his wish to quit emotions and to create a new world. He was crazy (made me want to study his background). The final battel on top of the mountain...I found that epic. Some how it impressed me more than what Team Aqua/Magmar had in mind.
Then...I also disliked its graphics. They looked flat and I also didn't like the colours and the sprites of the overworld...firered and leafgreen didn't have the best look either but much better than Hoenn in my opinion.
Hoenn produced some of the worst Pokémon ever (Nosepass o.Ô ) but it's also the origin of my favourite Chimecho so I won't complain more. They got rid of day and night.
The last thing I didn't like...too much water >>
It's all a matter of taste and it didn't grow on me although it did have some nice aspects, One of the best was dive in my opinion. On the other hand I think, double battles and contests improved in gen4 so I can't say I liked that in Hoenn although in debuted there.

Harket
August 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
All my friends loved the 3rd gen games :P i cant decide my faviroute of all the gens, the only one that i dont like that much is the 4th gen, mainly becuase of a lack of a DS :P

PsychoJigglypuff
August 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I liked Hoenn. I personally think there's nothing wrong with it. Besides, without Hoenn, there wouln't be Mudkips. Therefore, there would be no meme.

I also really enjoyed the PokeSpe R/S arc. Ruby is hysterical. XD (That doesn't really have anything to do with the games though.)

Dunsparce
August 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Just Because Hoenn is my least favorite region doesn't mean I hate it outright. I like it, just not as much as the other three regions.

The only thing I can truly complain about are the overly large Water Routes that take up a lot of the Eastern part of the map. The variety of Pokemon in those routes was small, and by the time I ran into my 20th Protect Pelipper, I used my entire savings on Repels just for the water routes D:

funnykid
August 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Hoenn was much different, the pokemon lost their natural charm and took on a more "neo" style. I don't mean that to sound bad its not really, there were pokemon i enjoyed greatly. as a matter of fact, I probably hate less pokemon from that region than any other, but at the same time there are only like 2 pokemon i would consider being in maybe my top 20. the region was great it varied so much but it messed up with not adding more fire pokemon. It gets the series's first volcano that you actually climb and get next to the lava flow but it introduces how many catable fire pokemon, well not enough. I understand there should be less fire pokemon than a lot of other types but there is way too few for having nearly 500 pokemon. plus i hated the regis. would have meant something if any of them had been an element i cared for

Sinnoh however was the opposite, all i ever remember was a mountain and thats about it then sometimes there was snow, but it was on the mountain. it did however have good pokemon, as well as pokemon that i hate.

With everything considered i would have to say hoenn and sinnoh are my least liked regions for certain but even then i still like them a great deal. as for the maps well i hate sinnoh completely but hoenn is still 3rd

I agree. The problem I see with RSE and DPPt are:

- repetitive Pokemon design: a lot of the new Pokemon are made redundant by their older counterpart

- bland Pokemon design: a lot of the new Pokemon are based on real living creatures; while this in itself is not a big problem, the new designers place too many restrictions upon themselves; by this I mean, we no longer have unrealistic but charming Pokemon like Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Lickitung, etc.

- not enough innovation: RSE did innovate the battling scene with Abilities, etc., but there are not enough innovations overall when compared to the leaps and bounds GSC made over RBY, why weren't the Pokemon animated in RS? What happened to the more advanced PokeGear? It's not unrealistic to expect even more out of the franchise when the hardware has improved so much (GBA from GBC).

- lack of personality in the region: some say Hoenn feels too different; I say Hoenn feels too impersonal. Kanto was the closest in style to what we live in today: we have bustling cities and quaint little towns that remind us of the suburbs; Johto revealed a dazzling historic view of the Pokemon world, which is heavily influenced by the Japanese culture, we have the Tin Tower, the shrines, the ruins, the mystery!; Hoenn feels tropical, but you still have Rustboro City which feels Western mixed in there, then there is the volcano and the lots and lots of ocean in between, the cities and towns just don't mesh well together to create an overall, coherent atmosphere. Sinnoh to me is just dull looking with lots of gray and brown buildings that are repeatedly used in most cities and towns. This is why the world in HG/SS remakes are so dazzling and unique when compared to the rather bland Sinnoh and awkward Hoenn.

- too many legendaries!! I loved how Kanto and Johto didn't place the entire emphasis of the game on legendaries. Legendaries are just that, legends. The main quest is supposed to be focused on you becoming the Champion of the Pokemon League, not stopping some evil organization from exploiting a legendary Pokemon. It's fun as a secondary quest (not necessarily as minor as a side quest, but not as major as the focus on the game!). And I loved how the Legendaries in Kanto and Johto have mystical powers, but yet are not the end-all, be-all beings that are the later legendaries in Hoenn and Sinnoh. An ancestral Pokemon, a rebirth Pokemon, a Pokemon who can travel through time is believable. But a Sky God, a Ground God, a Sea God, a Time God, a Space God, a Death God, and the God of all things in Pokemon World being captured and controlled by a 10-year old boy is just too much.

I think part of the reason why Pokemon has lost its charm and is spinning out of control is that the original creator, Satoshi Tajiri, got much less involved with the series after GSC.

Poison Master Tox
August 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Saphire was my first Pokémon game, at the age of 12 I think. My mother didn't let me play Pokémon, thinking they were violent (and I grew up with Zelda...).

So Hoenn was my first reigon, and I love it. I love contests, I love the Gym leaders, I love the designe of May, I love the Pokémon, I love the Battle Zone; I love about everything. To me, coming to this site where people disliked this region was strange... and I'm glad someone asked this question. To me, Hoenn is the best region. I hate Kanto, it's so... bland.

Divine~Deoxys
August 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I agree. I started at around age as you, although for different reasons (i got into it because i got bored before school and started watching the anime, and i saw a mudkip and a lotad, and instantly found £30 for a game). I reckon Emerald's the best, but it sounds like Sapphire and Ruby are probably superior in the simplicity of their plot (1 legendary, etc. etc.)

xXI JOE IXx
August 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE= hate Kanto, it's so... bland.[/QUOTE]

This is why i disliked fire red and went back to sapphire. They could have atleast put contests in, it was a downgrade from sapphire

Divine~Deoxys
August 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
it was a remake.

Kanto's good in that there's no emphasis on legendaries, they're only there for the adventurous rather than every 6 year old who says "mummy!mummy!i caught the god of death!!" when they catch giratina, i mean, when cynthia says it's a poke that's name shouldnnt be spoken in platinum, it's just insane.

at least the cutscene with rayquaza's good in hoenn.

arceusx
August 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM

You kidding? I love Hoenn!

iCrash
August 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't really like the simplicity of the Hoenn games (and the fact my ruby, sapphire and emerald all delete theirselves :S) but its not the worst region.....

Sinnoh has to be the worst by far D:
Dissapointment with the new games really, hope the new Gold and Silver don't fall the same way.
The older the better with pokemon games atm i think.

Divine~Deoxys
August 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I personally reckon they didn't need to make Sinnoh. they shoulda just gone straight onto HeartGold nd SoulSilver

Q-Bone
August 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't mind Hoenn, it had it's disadvantages I guess, but it also had a more unique feel than the other regions. The only region I strongly dislike is Sinnoh; it's basically a retard with a big rock going trough the middle of it.

enterteinor
August 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I hate hoenn D=, couse its hateful ness something argahrgah i hate it period!

Mew~
August 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Why do people hate hoenn so much...?

It had the most beautiful music peices.... The best gym leader music aswell, and littleroot towns music was also a beautiful peice....
It introduced contest which i thought were interesting.... (my ninetales rocks in them)

I think people just hate them because of nostalgia.... or just because everyone else is...

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
August 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I don't hate it.
My very first pokemon game was Sapphire. :D

I'm guessing People hate Hoenn becuase it was the intersection between the good old days of Kanto & Jhoto, and the new, Sinnoh.

Now that you mention it, Hoenn music was nice and peaceful,
but some Sinnoh music beats it in my book.
and the Rocket theme is G/S/C?
*Drools*

Hoenn the end of Kanto and Jhoto, and Hoenn was the beginning of new.
Of course some people wouldn't like it.

e4darthteej
August 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hoenn is, in my opion, the best region in Pokemon. The world map was exellent, the bosses were tough(especially in emerald), the music was FANTASTIC, and the Pokemon were pretty cool too(even if a lot of them were clones of Gen. 1 Pokemon.)

thegeneticway
August 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I don't hate it. In fact, i think it's the best region.

I don't like Kanto much though.

Ruby was my first game.

And Emerald is my favorite. The Battle Frontier was my favorite thing in Emerald.

Divine~Deoxys
August 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hoenn Battle Frontier is way better than Platinum, i know that.

Musician of Literature
August 15th, 2009, 04:51 AM

I don't get why people dislike the region either. They have amazing tropical Pokemon, even though the graphics stink and don't look tropical. If the graphics were better and there were some more beaches, Hoenn would be perrrrfect.

And Q-Bone, how dare you insult Sinnoh like that. It is my second favorite region. It is not a huge rock. It had the best graphics, though I was disappointed by the music.

kaminer4545
August 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I loved it because it was a huge improvement from the jhoto region, i didn't like jhoto, it was weird, and its the only one i havent gotten close to beating.

NeonJellytot
August 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=ChaosOfNature;4988963]I don't get why people dislike the region either. They have amazing tropical Pokemon, even though the graphics stink and don't look tropical. If the graphics were better and there were some more beaches, Hoenn would be perrrrfect.

I totally agree

Latiace
September 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I hate hoenn D=, couse its hateful ness something argahrgah i hate it period!

Are you kidding me!? I LIVE there! (Littleroot town :D)

Alli
September 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Please don't revive threads over a month old. kthx

Closeth