View Full Version : Fighting on the web and internet drama

July 25th, 2009, 2:42 AM
What is your take on it? Do you find that drama spices things a bit on forum or that they're of a more destructive nature?

Captain Fabio
July 25th, 2009, 3:44 AM
Occasional forum drama isn't bad, IMO.
I don't mind it.

If it is constant and about a sensitive subject, then it is bad.

July 25th, 2009, 4:49 AM
I think it should go away so we can all enjoy ourselves and have fun, not argue over the most pointless of stuff and never talk again. Nothing good comes out of drama.

Sweet Smoochum
July 25th, 2009, 6:12 AM
On one site I was on, there was a lot of internet drama. I stopped going on there because of it. However, a lot of other people kept going on there to see what was going on and who would be getting in trouble. It was too dramatic. I think people shouldn't fight on the web. Sure, some people may disagree with one another, but I think if someone were to get mad at what someone posted, I think they should wait until they cool off before responding. It allows them to read more carefully and gives the person before them a chance to edit just in case so they aren't mislead. There is a difference between "WTF?" and "Wtf? XD" The first one sounds serious whereas the other is saying it humorously. Sometimes things can get misread, but none of us should really be getting upset over what someone on the internet says. It's not like we know them, and there is always a chance that someone might agree with your point of view and back you up.

July 25th, 2009, 6:54 AM
After having been involved in online drama recently, I think quite negatively of it.

Right now, I don't see the point of fighting when there can be more productive things done with your time. Sure it may be amusing for the ones that aren't involved but for the ones that are involved, it tends to start hurting after a while. Although the Internet/PC isn't a tangible thing - in a way it is like a playground. The slide is OC, the swing is OVP, the sand is C/Q/F... when someone bullies another on each of them, it doesn't matter, it'll still end up as a fight and someone will be hurt. The difference here is that this is mental emotions rather than physical ones, and when they're hurt... it hurts just as much as physical pain sometimes.

Although drama isn't necessarily fighting or arguing, it is something that causes a stir among people. I know it could be expected that with different people and different emotions that there is a higher chance of conflicting views therefore drama, but it shouldn't be like that. Peace in real life is just as hard to achieve online, but it can be done. Putting your discontent and dislike aside to spare another's feelings should occur... because for some of us, this is where our main friendships lie. If they lose these friendships, they have basically nothing in life in terms of friendships and drama doesn't make it any better.

I... well, after recent events have basically given up trying to cause drama/be involved in it. I'd rather keep the peace with everyone sincethe Internet is a place to learn and create friendships - not lose them over often minor arguments.

And yeah, drama can spice things up, sure, but how would you feel if you lost most of your friends, cried every single day and hated life basically? Just think about that when you think of drama. :D

July 25th, 2009, 8:15 AM
Drama is no laughing matter, but at the same time, no site got anywhere without a few bumps in the road. As for me, I prefer working out the problem peacefully rather than getting involved in a shouting match

July 25th, 2009, 8:22 AM
Like Nica, I have also been involved in internet drama (however, started by me, unfortunately :X). And also, like Nica, I think negatively of it.

I'm not one to fight with others. I'd rather be one of those people who would at least have no enemies or people that think negatively of me. But it seems that hasn't been the case lately. For such reasons I've been ignored by the people who were once my closest friends because of those silly dramatic tidbits I started.

I really want to change that. I don't want to start up fights anymore, nor do I want to get involved in any. Especially since I really don't have many friends irl, my PC friends are my good friends, and if I were to lose any one of them that I were close to (I've lost two or three so far, unfortunately), I'd be sad for a long while.

So yeah.

July 25th, 2009, 9:03 AM
Dear God I think I've been doing it wrong. I like to go on other sites and stir up trouble to see what response I'll get from said group of people. I don't feel to bad though as they aren't usually personal attacks, therefore if someone literally cries, I think it's more so due to some mental problem. Call it mean, call it rude, I call it fun.

/not tl;dr

July 25th, 2009, 9:08 AM
I personaly, loves abit of drama! To be trueful, I think everone else does.

However, if it was over something minor or if someone starts to attack another person with harsh insults, then no!

July 25th, 2009, 9:10 AM
I've seen it tear apart an entire online community, which was eventually shut down because of it, long story short.

I don't like it at all =/ it's childish and unnecessary.

July 25th, 2009, 9:12 AM
I always seem to be the one to start things, which isn't good. I've been in a few arguments recently, and now, looking back, I feel like an idiot.
I really want to change. ;-;

This thread certainly has made a few people including myself, come clean.

July 25th, 2009, 9:18 AM
On Facebook, there is always something going on, so I just sit back and watch the drama unfold. It's quite entertaining, actually. I don't get involved anyway, which is good, I guess.

July 25th, 2009, 9:35 AM
Nothing good comes out of drama.

NOT TRUE. I know a hell of a lotta people who've learned how to behave better on forums because of drama that's occurred. And sometimes it can settle an argument too, which is a plus.

But yeah, small drama that's just trivial with a couple of people blowing things completely outta proportion can be very entertaining to watch, but when it comes to serious fighting... you've gotta put a stop to it.

July 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I love to read it, but I don't like to be in it.

July 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
To paraphrase a quote from Tibarn, one of the most broken FE characters in history: Chaos is an essential part of life, no good can come from pure order with no conflict. However, no good can come from a world of pure chaos. We have to keep everything in balance.

July 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Personally, I try to avoid all types of drama whenever possible, be it on the internet or IRL. Being involved in it or even just being near it is stressful and nerve-wracking for me. 'Drama' to me is unnecessary conflict, or conflict that's been blown way out of proportion, and those are two things I don't need in my life. If I'm gonna be involved in conflict, it better damn well have a purpose, and not be ballooned into something more than need be.

How so many people can thrive on drama or enjoy it (aside from on TV shows/movies/etc. and in literature) is something I can never understand.

July 25th, 2009, 1:04 PM
o3o um..um...I has something to say yes.

First and for most, you need to remember that drama takes two somewhat willing parties. Yes, this means that you are not a victim if you dig your heels in and turn an arguement into a fight. There is not, in most cases, a single innocent party. >> You can easily stop drama. Just let it go. I know I know, it's just not fair and it makes us all feel bad about our precious little egos and what not but seriously. We all know that drama can be ridiculously blown out of proportion and when people pull their heads out of the sand and talk things out, without getting overtly defensive, they realize it was a big misunderstanding and things go back to being hunky dory. Now, my question is why did we need to fight so brutally in the first place? There's a difference between ranting in confidence to a friend and ranting in a public place where you know it will get attention. Remember that old rule in kindergarten? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That's not to say if a friend does something stupid you shouldn't pull them aside privately and explain as kindly as you can what they've done wrong by any means. It means simply that there are just some things you just shouldn't say to anyone ever ever ever ever ever.

Next time you find yourself in drama, 'man up' and either let it go or walk away. Standing and fighting and digging your heels in only makes the problem worse. [So does letting yourself get walked on but that's another point entirely] It's hard to admit when we've done wrong, it's hard to admit when we hear things we don't like to hear or when we feel offended, and it's really really hard to just 'let people win'. Is it really worth all the stress it causes? Does it really just all go away?

;_; not to sound like a hippie, but I like it when my friends aren't trying to kill eachother. let's keep it that way.

July 25th, 2009, 1:10 PM
Well, I hate internet drama. It is as annoying as spam :(

July 25th, 2009, 1:36 PM
I agree with Mica, for the most part.

One thing I will say about my experience is that there are definitely people in this world who simply like to argue and fight, and believe me, there is such a thing as an 'innocent victim' as Mica puts it when said person ends up involved in drama (often for simply calling someone out on something), and despite all efforts on their part to drop it, the other person (or people) refuse to just leave it alone.

My instinct in an argument is that once my stress-meter gets too high (which is usually as soon as I realize I'm in an argument), I immediately make every effort to drop the subject or agree to disagree and move on.

Because I know many of my opinions are very different from those of most other people, (and I respect those other opinions, and don't question them), I try to avoid people or situations that could easily result in being flamed or attacked because someone wasn't willing to accept that I have a different opinion. It's just unnecessary stress.

Eeveonic Deathcore
July 25th, 2009, 2:10 PM
It's funny and entertaining at first, but when it starts to get out of hand, it's one of those 'Let's get out of here before we get caught up in this.' moments.

The Scientist
July 25th, 2009, 3:37 PM
It's great. I absolutely love trolling.

Sometimes though, a lot of reverse psychology gets involved and you can't tell who's trolling whom anymore.

July 25th, 2009, 4:21 PM
I'm okay with drama, as long as the drama doesn't turn into a flame war xD

July 25th, 2009, 7:07 PM
Sometimes it's really annoying, like until you want to burn a page out of the internet. But then, sometimes it's really, really funny, and you laugh at the people who do want to burn a page out of the internet.

Inspiration leads me back to a well-known (if ignored) point: If you're angry online, and you make it known, someone is probably laughing at you.

July 25th, 2009, 7:24 PM
It's entirely stupid and never accomplishes anything, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it for a good chuckle.

July 25th, 2009, 7:26 PM
It bores me, and since it's pointless anyway there's nothing I think of it...

July 25th, 2009, 7:28 PM
NOT TRUE. I know a hell of a lotta people who've learned how to behave better on forums because of drama that's occurred. And sometimes it can settle an argument too, which is a plus.

But yeah, small drama that's just trivial with a couple of people blowing things completely outta proportion can be very entertaining to watch, but when it comes to serious fighting... you've gotta put a stop to it.

At the cost of losing friendships a lot of the time.

July 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Its important to have some internet drama. I mean you can't go without it being there. Its what teaches some people to respect other's opinion. Internet is one place where each website has different rules, and you get to choose a community which you want to be in, I don't get why some people just can't respect somebody elses opinion. Most of the times its just that which leads to flame wars.

But rest of the time, its just some troll.

Total chaos isn't nice, but some internet drama is necessary, and without it, you just can't enjoy being on the internet.

July 26th, 2009, 1:48 AM

There will always be casulties for the sake of the greater good.

July 26th, 2009, 3:44 AM
A little drama is never bad. Although, when it gets out of hand it's no fun.

July 26th, 2009, 3:46 AM

Not necessarily. I've been a member of a few drama-ridden forums and I've made friends from all of them, even with people I've fought against.

And this brings me to the fact that many people overlook: drama should be taken light-heartedly. I see many people in this thread pointing out that drama brings ruin to forums and the like, when the reality is that people don't know how to handle drama. The internet, and especially forums, aren't meant to be taken seriously,and doing to becomes a weakness. That weakness is what trolls harness: they get kicks when you take all of what they say to heart and blow it out of proportion. I learnt all that the hard way.

The fact of the matter is that drama, though many will disagree, is necessary. Even entertaining at times. When you get rid of the tension and bad blood through drama, the forum can settle down if the people involved in the drama take it lightly. Harbouring grudges over someone on the internet is what's destructive and is what causes most of the problems in forums but it can easily be undone, which is what most people fail to realise.

I'm sorry if I'm not making too much sense here; I'm pretty tired right now, but let me sum it up with a tl;dr - you're here on the internet to have fun and kill time, so chill out.

Gold warehouse
July 26th, 2009, 4:24 AM
Sometimes it's funny to read, I usually couldn't care less though.

July 26th, 2009, 2:21 PM
A forum I was on had drama, and it resulted in one of the administrators deleting the whole forum and two groups hating each other. It bothered me for months, until I made up with some of the people in June, but it wasn't fun.

I moderate a forum which recently had a ton of drama over an idiot using the word gay the wrong way, insulting religions etc., so I did the right thing and banned him. Drama is boring after a while.

July 26th, 2009, 2:31 PM
Drama keeps things interesting, for sure, just...not all the time. If you gather large groups of people anywhere it is bound to happen...just don't let it dominate everything.

July 26th, 2009, 3:55 PM
I find it funny to read, but I don't really care. People are people, and people fight over absurd things.
Being the quiet person I am, I steer away from it. I had only gotten involved once, and I feel as if I sounded like an utter fool. Out of fear of sounding stupid, I've been generally quiet over the internet, because it seems people are willing to give BS about anything.

July 26th, 2009, 6:40 PM

But you know, who said they were actually friends? They are, unless you've met them personally, little more than a picture and words to most. There may be people on the other end, but they act through what are really pretty pointless little accounts.

In short, it's really not that much loss most of the time.

But that's just me harping about that particular point. In general, I'd try to avoid fighting as much as possible. Debate is ok sometimes, but getting someone PO'd just for the sake of hacking them off is generally stupid. I almost feel like I'm contradicting my first post here... Oh well, a couple aspects of the same conundrum.

Giraffles <3
July 27th, 2009, 7:55 AM
Never get into any, but I do love reading it and seeing it on forums. It amuses me :3.

July 27th, 2009, 8:04 PM
Nothing good comes out of drama.

I'd have to disagree with that. The drama itself can be quite annoying and bothersome, but at the very least it can expose someone for who they really are. Maybe someone you deeply trusted was a complete fraud and betrayed, which does kind of hurt, but at least now you can at least take more steps to avoid further drama because you're no longer blind to the truth.

Freestyle Farfetch'd
July 28th, 2009, 3:01 PM
Oh man, I got myself into some really rediculous internet drama when I was younger! And I'm certainly not proud of it! Though as Rehkyt said, it can end up making you a better person, and getting into rows with people online, as it can be anywhere a real eye opener as to how silly you're acting, or indicate that you've got yourself in with the wrong people. Personally, I got sick of being in so much drama all the time, and "left" the internet for quite a while. What a healthy experience that was! It really showed me how over-serious I was being about my online interactions, and what a prick I'd been. And now I'm back for more! Quite refreshed and hopefuly more relaxed this time.

July 28th, 2009, 3:12 PM
I love a bit of internet drama! I agree with Schweppes, I have ended up in many arguments. Luckily, I won them all ^_^.

No-one can survive without chaos and arguments. Without chaos and evil-ness, there is no distinction between good and bad.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 30th, 2009, 8:36 AM
I find it hilarious for the most part, unless if we are talking about a serious topic then no its not