View Full Version : Animation

July 25th, 2009, 7:03 AM
Which kind of animation do you prefer?

I prefer hand-drawn all the way.

July 25th, 2009, 7:07 AM
Hand and CGI are personally my faves. Clay is not really... convincing. But it's good for the lulz.

Giraffes? Giraffes!
July 25th, 2009, 7:44 AM
Hand drawn and CGI, Clays awesome though, but not my favorite :P

The Darkest Gale
July 25th, 2009, 7:46 AM
my art thread is actually on the search results first page if you wanna look =P
I like handrawn a lot more only because
1.I like it lol
2.Its the only one out them I can actually do XD

July 25th, 2009, 8:26 AM
I'd have to go with hand drawn, and I think it's safe to say that hand-drawn will win on this forum.

I will say something in defense of CG, though. When it's done really well, as in Pixar quality, then it can be just as good as anything hand drawn. It's a younger medium, so of course there aren't be as many good examples right now. After it's had time to mature I think we'll see more excellent CG films.

July 25th, 2009, 8:46 AM
Hand-drawn. CGI is becoming too popular nowadays that you rarely see any movies drawn-by hand. I grew up watching Disney classics like The Lion King and Tarzan and I've come to miss the old-style of animation. Sure CGI movies can be easier to make and aren't that bad either, but they don't have the same flair older generation animated movies had.

July 25th, 2009, 8:46 AM
I'm more fond of the hand drawn style for animation, mostly because I love the art styles of many cartoons and it was always fun to draw and replicate them myself.

July 25th, 2009, 8:49 AM
Hand-Drawn, hands down.
I dislike Claymation and CGI-whatever.
I've always preferred shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon's animation style rather than 3D type things.

July 25th, 2009, 9:09 AM
Hand-drawn, ideally on celuloids without any computer aids.
It's expensive, time-consuming and takes a great deal of consistent skill, so it's hard not to appreciate it. I only prefer it over stop animation because it's more detailed, and I ultimately prefer 2D unless the 3D textures are extremely detailed (like CoDWaW as a film), but they never are.

July 25th, 2009, 9:13 AM
Anything goes, really. It's the quality of the work, not the medium which concerns me...
... As with everything else in the world.

Though, admittedly, sometimes really bad 3D pisses me off.

July 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hand drawn animation is much better then the others. It always has more detail and depth while CGImation just looks like a bunch of glossy bubbles. As for Claymation I think the idea of it is really cool if not time consuming. It reminds me of Wallace and Gromit. :)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 25th, 2009, 7:45 PM
I dont know whats CGI is, but I really do love Hand-drawn animations

July 25th, 2009, 7:59 PM
Hand-drawn, definitely. It's pretty original. Plus, most fanart is definitely hand-drawn, so... XD

CG, eh, it's fine, but personally, I'm not a big fan of CG unless it's Pixar or Dreamworks-related.

Claymation is fine too, but I'm not too big on it.

July 25th, 2009, 8:02 PM
I dont know whats CGI is
Computer generated imagery.

July 25th, 2009, 11:31 PM
CGI, its more clear and my taste.

July 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hand and CGI are great for movies and/or TV series. As for clay, it's great for short, hilarious slips.

Knox's Korner (http://knoxskorner.com/) has a ton of hilarious claymations.

July 26th, 2009, 4:00 AM
Hand-drawn and CGImation are my favorites.
Clay is good for making me laugh, but I don't like it that much.

July 26th, 2009, 6:31 AM
Hand-drawn. I grew up on 2D, and will always enjoy it.

I don't really like the style they use for most of the CGI stuff. It's so... samey. Samey in a style that doesn't suit my taste. I like some of them, though, like Shrek and WALL-E.

Claymation is something that also was part of my childhood, via Gumby and Wallace & Grommet, and I really think it's neat how they're able to do something like that. I even got to try it out myself one summer a looong time ago.

Captain Fabio
July 26th, 2009, 7:25 AM
Hand drawn and Computer Generated Imagery (CGI)

July 28th, 2009, 5:24 AM
I... like all of them. D: They all have their merits!

Like, I adore hand-drawn animation because I grew up watching it and I find it a lot more... fluid? I dunno. :( It feels more "natural" to see some things in it just because I'm so used to the medium. I can't really explain it but I was really sad when Disney announced they were breaking away from original hand-drawn animation and very overjoyed when they changed their minds. XD;

But I also really love CG! I'm a dork and I love 3D movies so the digital 3D that most CGI movies are releasing in theatres with is just amazing. :] I know just as much hard work goes into perfecting a 3D movie as with a 2D movie so I'm always awed by them. Like others, though, if a movie isn't up to par with other CG movies it really, really shows. x_x; I find it really hard to watch half-assed or low-budget CGI animations (like kids shows) because it just looks so cheap. D: I adore Pixar and Dreamworks though. Yay. ♥

Finally stop-motion (/claymation)? I remember seeing the previews for Coraline and talking with a friend trying to figure out whether it was CG or stop-motion. It was just *so* well done that you could barely tell! And of course, realizing that a wonderfully done movie or short really *was* made with stop-motion is always a breathtaking realization. The first time I saw Nightmare Before Christmas in full was just after watching some of the "making of" featurette and I just... I was absolutely amazed by it. I still am. I also love some of the jerky movements that come with the medium--it usually adds such an interesting flow to the characters.

...I kinda changed the last one but claymation is too specific imo. :( Anyway, I can't choose. I just love and appreciate all of them. So long as a studio chooses the right medium for their project, all of them can be amazing.

.little monster
July 28th, 2009, 8:48 AM
I prefer hand drawn most of the time. I just like the way it looks. Hello Pikachu!

July 28th, 2009, 9:30 AM
CGI animation is my favorite.

July 28th, 2009, 2:49 PM
Hand Drawn all the way for me to. Idk what the second one is lol.