PDA

View Full Version : Grammar

Banjora Marxvile
July 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Are you someone who uses proper grammar (bad english), or someone who uses the more common "anti-grammar", as I call it. What I mean is, do you use:

Good Grammar - Hi there, my name is Banjora Marxvile

OR

Bad Grammar - Hy thre!!!!!! Im Banjora Marxville!!!!! Hw R U!!!!! Feel well, I do!

OK, too extreme, but yeah. Also, does bad grammar annoy you if you are used to good grammar?

I like using good grammar, and I cannot stand bad grammar. Grammar is a key part of understanding people to me.

Camisado
July 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
That's not all necessarily classified as grammar. ;D

But yes, poor English appalls me and I find it hard to read things that are written badly. =/

Also, surely capitalising random words in the title of the poll, and the first option, is bad grammar?

Avey
July 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'll use proper grammar on most forums, but on MSN I'll stop using capitals and periods some of the time because most people I talk to don't give a damn, but I do type words that are readable. None of this 'i will c u 2moz kk' nonensense.

Bagel
July 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
i dnt use proper grammar. as you can tell.

people hav given me bad rep about it but i seriously dnt care. i dnt spell things wrong i just shortin some words. its not bad and its not like people cant read what i post.
example:

Doesn't- dsnt
Don't= dnt

Lucent
July 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You're asking an editor's daughter... XD

Of course I do, and for that reason alone, I can stand chatspeak or anything that isn't proper English. Except emoticons, and "Engrish", since I love both XD

But I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed whenever I see someone post "lol", which, unfortunately, happens quite often >.>

.Seth
July 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I despise bad grammar. It eludes me as to why people think they're so awesome when they use it.

processr
July 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
i dnt use proper grammar. as you can tell.

people hav given me bad rep about it but i seriously dnt care. i dnt spell things wrong i just shortin some words. its not bad and its not like people cant read what i post.
example:

Doesn't- dsnt
Don't= dnt

Don't be shocked when people judge you because of it, then. People are more likely to think you're, uh, intellectually challenged when you decide to type like someone who's lost half their keyboard.

I endeavour to post with correct syntax and grammar. Of course, I won't get it right every time; as such I don't challenge people when they do mess up, especially if it's something incredibly petty and minor.

Kinarii
July 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, I prefer to use coherent English no matter what I'm doing. I feel there shouldn't be an excuse for poorly-written posts, because you have all the time in the world to make sure what you've written is written correctly, and most of all, clearly.

I do loosen up when I'm using an IM program, like for instance I won't bother with capitalization a lot of the time, and of course, since it's real-time conversation, there isn't the time to perfect what you write, so it's not as important as long as you're understood.

Poor grammar/spelling and regular usage of netspeak is one of the few things that will cause me to judge people on the internet. If their English is bad because they're still learning English as a second language, that's one thing, but blatant use of 'ur' and such just rubs me the wrong way. Plus, people who are learning English tend to be polite about it and at least let it be known that they're trying, as opposed to netspeakers, who appear to me as uneducated or simply apathetic about communicating properly.

I have seen essays here in college written with netspeak and poor spelling/grammar, so I believe we have a real problem on our hands these days.

MechaTrickster
July 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Eh ill use either one, as long as I dont sound like a retard. Plus most people make up excuses saying theyre a slow typer. What does that have to do with them spelling badly? Theyre a slow reader too?

Mika
July 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
There's a fine line between people who are lazy and people who are younger. 13 year olds don't know as much, grammatically speaking, as a 18 or 19 year old. I'd use the 'It's not my first language' as a legit excuse for some of you but then again there are plenty of people who are from other countries who are not native English speakers who type better than half the population of PC.

It comes down, honestly, to proof reading what you write before you post it and editing mistakes. >> So yes, I use correct grammar in all of its forms but by no means do I harass people who try and fail. It's not nice yo. D:

Eeveonic Deathcore
July 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
i liek gud gramr kbai

But seriously, I used to use shortcuts for words such as 'are' and 'you' but I've completely changed from all of that. I may use it on MSN/Skype on not on the forums, unless I'm just joking around. ;D

ShinjisLover
July 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Lyk, omg, nu!

I adore proper grammer grammar. ♥ Which is why I hate so-called '1337-speak'.

Jack O'Neill
July 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I believe that any deliberate refusal to abide by the universal conventions of the English language should be a punishable offense. That should sum up my views towards grammar here.

Kinarii
July 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
There's a fine line between people who are lazy and people who are younger. 13 year olds don't know as much, grammatically speaking, as a 18 or 19 year old. I'd use the 'It's not my first language' as a legit excuse for some of you but then again there are plenty of people who are from other countries who are not native English speakers who type better than half the population of PC.

It comes down, honestly, to proof reading what you write before you post it and editing mistakes. >> So yes, I use correct grammar in all of its forms but by no means do I harass people who try and fail. It's not nice yo. D:
Yeah, I don't harass people about it, since it doesn't do any good. All the judging takes place in my brain.

I do think 13-year-olds still should have the capacity to spell things right and use proper syntax and all, or at the very least use spell-check and such (and not use netspeak). If not, then there's something seriously wrong with the English-speaking world and how it's teaching its youth. :/

Caelus
July 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I don't mind grammar as long as the person isn't lazy and decides to shorten words for no reason. I doubt my grammar's any better than most users so I see no point in complaining.

I do, however, attempt to type properly.

Camisado
July 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I can't help but feel the word "grammar" is being misused thoroughly in this thread =<

Gumball Watterson
July 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Haha. Look at my profile, my posts and take a wild guess.

I'm sorry, but people with horrible grammar need enhanced education.

The Red Chain
July 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I myself use proper English, but sometimes my grammar is a bit off.
I type out all of my words and punctuate where I think it's necessary..
But for the most part as long as I understand you, I don't care how you type.
Same goes for myself.

The Scientist
July 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
My scouter is picking up raging superiority complexes in this thread. Over grammar, of all things.

The point of language is to get a message across to someone. Unnecessarily florid speech is just as bad as colloquial netspeak.

Bagel
July 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
i am so bad at using bad grammar.. this is the kinda stuff people VM me
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7760/improveurgrammurz.png

i think they dnt like my grammar @_@

Wings Don't Cry
July 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I use to just type in whatever I could as long as you could tell what it was but I got so use to it, once I had an English Test and I ended writing stuff like 'dat' and 'r'. After that I started to type real words.

I don't really mind if people can't type proper English but I do mind if someone is criticizing them and they're doing the same thing, hypocrites just really grind my gears.

Cassino
July 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Good Grammar - Hi there, my name is Banjora Marxvile
That's still bad — you forgot a full-stop and a semi-colon would be better than a comma.

The above comment and my membership in the Grammar Nazis social group at this site should answer your question quite soundly.
I tend not to go around correcting people since they —I can only guess— see it as an attack to their mental integrity, or something, and fling themselves into a strop. I never understood why though.

Robot From Heaven
July 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
i'm awful at grammer, i've always sucked at english and never will i succeed in it.. i find it the most boringist thing other than nature shows ;)

Citrinin
July 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I do try to use good grammar, but, naturally, there will be the odd typo here and there. I also don't really mind if someone else is using bad grammar, unless it's obvious they're not even making an effort, like with using "u" instead of "you".

Neko64
July 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Lol the example you gave was more like n00bish language, rather than bad grammar, but I guess it can count for that too. ;)

As for me, I try to use good grammar, but I know I am not good at it. Especially when it comes to run on sentences, and overuse of commas and semi-colons (at least that's what I think I have problems with). Though I'm almost positive that I'm perfectly fine when it comes to correct spelling and avoiding the use of slang/n00b speak. :3

Cornelius
July 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yes, I make sure that my grammar and spelling is perfect (or close to it). It's a petpev of mine, and I often find myself saying what's wrong in other people's grammar (it's an obsession, too).

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I try my best to keep my grammar as perfect as possible on every website, on IM's (even though my friends make fun of me for that) and in real life

:t354:TG

xxxLatiasxxx
July 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I try to use good grammar at all times.

Anxiety.
July 27th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Bad grammar drives me crazy. I can let little things go by, like putting the wrong kind of 'your', although, if it's on MSN, I will correct them most the time.

But yes. When people type like
'HeY. How R U? I M Doin GURD'
Makes me want to punch babies in the face It really pisses me off.

I could kill for uppercase letters. I hate it when people never use them.

Katalyst
July 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't like bad grammar simply because it takes me lots of time trying to understand what people say. So yeah, I always try to use good grammar.

donavannj
July 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Though I'm not a grammarian, I dislike poor grammar and poor spelling.

Valo
July 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I have some kind of OCD with grammar, I cannot stand things without capitals where they should be. I just freak out.

Rokusasu
July 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I tend to be extremely nitpicky about grammar. XD; I can usually spot errors and stuff when reading other peoples' writing, but I don't say anything to them; I wouldn't want people to think I was being big-headed or something. x_x; Engrish amuses me, however, probably in the same way that my attempts at writing in a foreign language would amuse a native speaker. XD

With chatspeak and stuff, I can tolerate 'lol', 'brb' etc., though I tend to find that people come across as less intelligent when they use chatspeak the whole time. Sometimes I'll use it myself, but only to goof around. XD

EmeraldSky
July 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm the same way--I tend to use chatspeak more when I'm being silly, but any other time, and I'm the human spell check

Zorua
July 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I use proper grammar, usually. There are some times where I have gotten lazy, but I don't really blame myself for it. I never type "ur" or anything of the sort anyway unless I'm joking with someone. xD

Saltare.
July 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Good gramar- People on the internet lack this

^ I am one of those people. I don't give a damn about good gramar. But in school I do...

Feign
July 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
That's still bad — you forgot a full-stop and a semi-colon would be better than a comma.

Haha, first reading this topic, I noticed that immediately. I was hoping someone would catch on to that as I was scrolling down, then finally we had a winner! :)

I always try my best for the right grammar. I think what my biggest fault though is trying to use the semi-colon when it isn't necessary.

Vie
July 28th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I try to use good grammar, though english is not my mother tongue. But I improved a lot since I am active here. :D

DARKSHADE
January 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I try, but when I'm in a rush I usually make a mistake just a typo or a capital letter or something stupid like that.

but I cant stand bad grammar!!!

Sammi
January 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I try to make sure my grammar is correct in everything I post. I'm not perfect, though, so sometimes it probably doesn't look good. XD;

Mr. Downstairs
January 12th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Despite giving me something to do, I have to ask... What's up with all the thread revival lately? XD

Threads older than a month old are considered to be dead. Replying to them would mean that you're reviving them, which isn't allowed. Be careful when replying to threads, Darkshade. Make sure that the last reply was within a month's time frame and you won't have this problem again. As for this thread, the last reply made was on July 28th, 2009, which is well over a month. :(