PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to the internet?

mattattack
July 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
hey guys i got my laptop working and i have to ask you a question how do i connect wirelessly with my laptop? so i can get internet?

.Seth
July 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
What version of windows/mac does it run? XP, Vista, 2000, NT?
It differs between versions, but it's about the same for all.

mattattack
July 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Xp dude and also its a toshiba laptop

.Seth
July 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hit the start button, go to Control Panel, and click Network connections.
If you're in Category view, go to your Control Panel, and go to "Network and Internet Connections", then click Network Connections.

Double click your wireless router's name, and it should connect.

mattattack
July 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
it isn't on their how do i set up a network so it would work?

Narco v2
July 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to ask the obvious, but from experience it really helps if these questions are asked at the beginning, rather than finding out three-four pages into the thread.

You have bought a Wireless Router, right?
And you are sure your laptop has either built-in wireless or a WiFi card? If you're not sure, the bottom of your laptop should have a label with the laptop's Product Number. Post it or search Toshiba's site yourself to find out if it does.

DrCoolSanta
July 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Also many laptops need the WiFi to be switched on, its just a button somewhere on your laptop.

Apple Inc.
July 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Also to check within the computer to see if you have the wireless hardware.

Go to Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Manage -> Click Device Manager -> expand Network adapters category. Tell us what it says under that. It will tell us what you have in your computer for networking including wireless.

mattattack
July 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
it has wifi and it is wireless

twocows
July 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Is the router plugged in? Are all lights green? Is there a lot of stuff between your router and your laptop? Is it really far away from your laptop? Is your wireless functionality turned on in your laptop's hardware (often there's a button or something)?

mattattack
July 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM
ok look i turned on the wireless side it turned orange. All the lights are green. It is wireless and has wifi, i do have a big router that is hooked to my main computer. It came with a littler one that hooks into the laptop. So how to i get my routers (the main computers one) to my laptop?

T000Nlink
July 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
make sure you close enough

twocows
July 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
First, try disconnecting and turning off the smaller router that you aren't using. It might be interfering. If that doesn't work, try going to a place with public WiFi and see if your laptop can connect to it (McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, and a few other places have public WiFi, but you might need to ask them for the encryption key and purchase something first). If it can connect to those fine, the problem is likely with your router. If it can't, then the problem is likely with your laptop.

Apple Inc.
July 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
First, try disconnecting and turning off the smaller router that you aren't using. It might be interfering. If that doesn't work, try going to a place with public WiFi and see if your laptop can connect to it (McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, and a few other places have public WiFi, but you might need to ask them for the encryption key and purchase something first). If it can connect to those fine, the problem is likely with your router. If it can't, then the problem is likely with your laptop.

Not to mention most shopping malls will have them.