PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger Virus

Aljam
July 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have just got a virus that is really annoying. After being extremely stupid and opening a file from a person I don't usually talk to, I got a virus. A message keeps sending from my address to all my contacts now, saying "Is this you on myspace ;)", followed by a link to the virus.

What should I do?!?!?!? I have Symantec Security (off of their website(Norton)) and Avira both currently scanning my computer. Is this all I have to do, or am I screwed?

twocows
July 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Notify everyone NOT to click the link you provided. If your anti-virus comes up with a result, post the name of the virus here and I'll try to direct you to a removal page. Anti-virus programs usually can't remove all of the stuff themselves, but they're good for diagnosing exactly which virus it is.

Also, stop scanning with Symantec. You'll just slow Avira down, and there's no reason to scan with it if you're already scanning with Avira.

Aljam
July 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Notify everyone NOT to click the link you provided. If your anti-virus comes up with a result, post the name of the virus here and I'll try to direct you to a removal page. Anti-virus programs usually can't remove all of the stuff themselves, but they're good for diagnosing exactly which virus it is.

Also, stop scanning with Symantec. You'll just slow Avira down, and there's no reason to scan with it if you're already scanning with Avira. It doesnt say that there are any detections atm. It says there are 2 warnings. The scan is at 93%. I am telling my friends right now and I blocked all my contacts (if that does anything...). But the virus is acting different now. It is now completely blocking my access to msn. when I open msn it says there was a connection error and doesn't log me in.

EDIT: OK... it says it didnt find anything... wth?

EDIT: I pressed control + alt + delete, went to processes and found what I believe is my virus. It's called myspace.exe. currently, I'm looking it up on google. I'll add to this message when I get more info.

EDIT: hmmm... I ended my process, unregistered myspace.exe, deleted it, then uninstalled msn. I reinstalled it and my computer then needed updates for msn...(i think). I installed updates and msn is now working like normal. One of my friends got it to (he had xp). He restarted his computer as well. there is no trace of it. im currently lookin through my computer right now searching for it.

EDIT: weird... it now says that im not connected to a network... wth?

EDIT: on second thought... thats for wireless and im connected through DSL

Archer
July 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ah! It's my evil twin!
It couldn't hurt to look for clean-up/removal software for this, even if everything seems to be clear, as there's usually going to be traces if you merely shut off the process and deleted the .exe.

Make sure that Avira is updated and that you have some sort of a firewall.

King Goodra
July 30th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I had a virus such as this a few years ago when I was unfamiliar with viruses and all that... stuff. I found that when I downloaded Spybot - Search and Destroy, it found many of the viruses (and more than my McAfee search did. I don't think it would hurt much to try downloading that, running a scan, and cleaning up your computer that way.

Malheus
July 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Its just a simple "virus", Its not even a virus is a website who copy your password

Just change password and its done.

twocows
August 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
EDIT: hmmm... I ended my process, unregistered myspace.exe, deleted it, then uninstalled msn. I reinstalled it and my computer then needed updates for msn...(i think). I installed updates and msn is now working like normal. One of my friends got it to (he had xp). He restarted his computer as well. there is no trace of it. im currently lookin through my computer right now searching for it.
I guarantee you found the problem in this step. I doubt even MySpace's messenger (or whatever programs they run locally, if any) is named "myspace.exe." I mean, they could have at least named it something important sounding, like init32.exe. Anyway, it sounds like you fixed the problem; if anything else comes up, make a new post (all those edits get confusing; I'd recommend that you only edit into a post if nobody's replied since your last update).