PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.7, 4.0

Proto
July 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
3.7 mockups (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/3.7_Windows_Theme_Mockups)
It looks beautiful with Aero Glass, but everything else... painfully ugly. XD I dunno how well it'll mesh with the bookmarks toolbar, which I use extensively. Want more screencaps. ;-;

4.0 mockups (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups)
Reminds me heavily of Chrome. Heaaaaaavily.

Citrinin
July 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think 3.7 looks too bad with the other themes, but it definitely looks the best with Glass. ^^

As for 4.0, I agree. It is very Chrome-like. :P

.Seth
July 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Ooh. Shiny things. :o

3.7 looks nice, but I don't care for 4, it's too Chrome-like, like Audy said. :(

twocows
July 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It's terrible, but as long as they leave the old themes in, I guess won't mind. It's the lack of a menu bar that bothers me the most; if they don't let me revert to that, I'll end up switching browsers. Mozilla's looking to make the classic mistake: don't change it if it works. For me, at least, Microsoft made the same mistake with Office 2007; they got rid of the menu bar and made it into some horrible, annoying mess. Mozilla's doing exactly the same thing. Instead of having a bunch of options readily available in one place, they're either spread all over the screen or put somewhere where you'd have no idea to look for them. This is bad design at its worst.

Proto
July 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It's terrible, but as long as they leave the old themes in, I guess won't mind. It's the lack of a menu bar that bothers me the most; if they don't let me revert to that, I'll end up switching browsers. Mozilla's looking to make the classic mistake: don't change it if it works. For me, at least, Microsoft made the same mistake with Office 2007; they got rid of the menu bar and made it into some horrible, annoying mess. Mozilla's doing exactly the same thing. Instead of having a bunch of options readily available in one place, they're either spread all over the screen or put somewhere where you'd have no idea to look for them. This is bad design at its worst.
From the perspective of a long-time user, yes, that's true. But for new users it works 10x better than the old one, the new Office 2007 ribbons/menus make way more sense and make it easier to find things for them. Everyone I've introduced to it, especially in my family, find it to be a huge improvement over 2003 and previous versions.

Though I personally like the menu bar as well, I think I could get used to (and eventually prefer) the lack of it.

Cherrim
July 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
3.7 - Looks okay. :/ I'm not a fan of glass tbh so I'm not sure how I'll like it. I suppose I'll get used to it, though.

4.0 - Ugh no tabs on top. ;_; I hate tabs on top and it's the main reason I dislike Chrome as a browser for anything more than a quick check. I find it so awkward and annoying and I like having a title bar tyvm. :( I hope you have the option.

donavannj
July 29th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I personally prefer 3.7's design to 4.0's design at the moment.

Gerri Shin
July 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
in the 3.7 the controls area on the left is strangely reminiscent of Safari 4's windows interface.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=19261

Amachi
July 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I need a bookmarks toolbar with all my pretty favicons. If there isn't one I don't know what I'll do ;o; (they say you can turn off the widget so that's cool).

But yeah, I'm liking tabs on top and version B overall of 4.0. I've already hidden my menubar so the absence of one in the mockups doesn't really bother me, plus they could easily add the option of including one if the users ask for it. Their placement of the progress line is interesting.
in the 3.7 the controls area on the left is strangely reminiscent of Safari 4's windows interface.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=19261
Yeah, Chrome and IE are pretty similar as well in that respect.

Lyu
July 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Well, I think they'll copy things from others to create a perfect one.

Mitchman
July 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ew. I am perfectly fine with my 3.5 and I hope changes are made. But the buttons are very sexy you have to admit.

Red1530
July 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The Firefox 3.7 mock-ups look good. The Vista/Windows 7 version is gorgeous while the XP version is nice looking.

Bianca Paragon
July 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
make the classic mistake: don't change it if it works.
You heard it here first, people! According to twocows law; NEVER INNOVATE.
Seriously. We all ought to be using Windows 3.1 because "it works".

I'm more interested in seeing what the Mac interface looks like, tbh~

Archer
July 31st, 2009, 04:58 AM

I'm more interested in seeing what the Mac interface looks like, tbh~
lol, I honestly think it will fit well with the OSX interface, given they continue to go down this path.

I'm running a theme that's a great imitation of the 3.7 theme on Win7. I've got to say, I love it.

Here's a screeny of my theme: http://i30.tinypic.com/155m340.png

twocows
July 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM

Not really. The "law," as you call it (which isn't mine, it's something I've heard in many places), has always seemed to apply more to design aspects. The first time I remember hearing it was when Wind Waker came out; somebody said it about the change from realistic style to cel-shaded. Perhaps it would be more prudent to say "if it doesn't work, don't get rid of it?"

Johnny590
July 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
3.7 doesn't look too bad, but 4.0 is definitely a ripoff of Chrome. :S

I always download the latest firefox, and right now I'm using 3.5. Whenever the REAL 3.7 or 4.0 come out, I'll download them. ;P

蜃気楼
July 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM
I believe the Chrome layout is better because it is more logical, the address bar and the refresh button are about what is inside the tab.