PDA

View Full Version : Mac

lewisffc
July 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, im doing a Computer based degree and have been looking into edits of pokemon games to help with my studies...so does anyone know the best blogger who writes about mac software or does anyone even know any software that i can get for my mac?!tbh im even having trouble getting my emulators to work :(

Lie Ren
July 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Um, yeah.. >.> I'm going to move this into Computer/Technology.. I think it would fair better there. Siiince.. it certainly isn't an intro thread. nn;

Gerri Shin
July 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
as far as I know, the only emulator that I've gotten to work for Nintendo games have been Visualboy Advance and SixtyForce. You do have to tweak the settings in new installations to get some games to work right.

What other types of programs are you looking for? I might be able to point you in a more definite direction if I knew exactly what programs (other than emulators) you're looking for.

Zet
July 30th, 2009, 01:19 AM
It's called Windows, install that and all your emulation programs/tools will work :)

lewisffc
July 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM
It's called Windows, install that and all your emulation programs/tools will work :)

yeah your right!install it and not only does your computer take 30 times longer to boot up, it also shows you just how good mac osx is compared to windows!

on a more serious level, ive managed to get pokemon red working on visual boy advance, mucked about with the settings for a while and got it..but im looking to edit the game, kinda like reverse engineer if you get my drift?i want to edit everything from making different trainers, making different pokemon appear at different parts etc. do u know any programs which will allow me to edit this pokemon red whilst using visualboy?*i dont mean edit in program runtime*

also, i tried patching pokemon brown to the original red rom file but it goes up to 2MB and VB doesnt let me play it because the file is too big or something?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gerri Shin
July 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Ah, hacking programs, Unfortunately there aren't any Mac native tools out there (that I know of). Your best bet is to either try using them via Wine or you would have to use Windows in a virtual environment. (You can still download the Windows 7 Release candidate until the end of August and doesn't expire until at least June of 2010, So I'd use that in Virtual box for a free route to doing that.)

Horizon
July 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
yeah your right!install it and not only does your computer take 30 times longer to boot up, it also shows you just how good mac osx is compared to windows!

But simply use Windows 7 and your biased view will be wiped away. But save that for another time.

I have not tried to boot any emulator programs on Mac, but all those I have used have worked in Windows fine.

twocows
July 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM
on a more serious level, ive managed to get pokemon red working on visual boy advance, mucked about with the settings for a while and got it..but im looking to edit the game, kinda like reverse engineer if you get my drift?i want to edit everything from making different trainers, making different pokemon appear at different parts etc. do u know any programs which will allow me to edit this pokemon red whilst using visualboy?*i dont mean edit in program runtime*
Good luck with that if you're not running Windows; all the good programs for ROM hacking run on it. AdvanceMap is good for editing Fire Red, which is basically Red with better graphics and some extra stuff, but I haven't heard of a Mac port of that, either. Sorry I can't really be of much help; all I can recommend is using Boot Camp to make a dual-boot setup and run Windows.

Zet
July 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Clearly you're one of those appletards who go around ruining the OS for the real fans who don't do that. In the end you have to pay for 95% of your programs. I haven't seen a lot of freeware programs for the mac. Also Windows 7 has a superior boot time, might wanna try things before talking next time

lewisffc
July 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
nah im not really...i dont like windows because microsoft as a company just think they are outside the law as they try to starve the market of any competitors. not that it would influence my decision if there was a better windows based computer than a mac mind u. i had windows for so long and as soon as i changed to mac it was just like such a much better machine as a whole, sure you have to pay for it but i think its worth it. windows v mac wasnt the reason why i posted the first time in this thread everyone has their opinions on it but nice to see you are making a new forum member welcome!!!

but thanks to those who have offered help anyway :)

Zet
July 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Oh? I recall you posting saying that windows takes forever to load. Also your paranoia about Microsoft being above the law just shows how paranoid you are and have never touched a Windows OS before.

Also you might want to work on your English skills a bit more. It's kind of hard to read what you're trying to get across

Archer
July 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
nah im not really...i dont like windows because microsoft as a company just think they are outside the law as they try to starve the market of any competitors. not that it would influence my decision if there was a better windows based computer than a mac mind u. i had windows for so long and as soon as i changed to mac it was just like such a much better machine as a whole, sure you have to pay for it but i think its worth it. windows v mac wasnt the reason why i posted the first time in this thread everyone has their opinions on it but nice to see you are making a new forum member welcome!!!

but thanks to those who have offered help anyway :)

And I suppose the iPhone isn't Apple's way of starving a market. Besides, other OSs create business for hardware manufacturers.

If you really need the programs, you could run a streamlined XP through a virtual machine. You could even look into WINE for Mac.

lewisffc
July 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM
And I suppose the iPhone isn't Apple's way of starving a market. Besides, other OSs create business for hardware manufacturers.

If you really need the programs, you could run a streamlined XP through a virtual machine. You could even look into WINE for Mac.

you think the iphone starves the market? tbh i didnt think so, everyone buys it because its a quality product! and yeah they do but microsoft have always chosen intel architecture which doesnt help anyone else...but seriously i cant be bothered with this argument its just opinion and wont end

yeah i think ill just get one of the earlier windows os's so its not takin alot of space on my hd. ill have a look at WINE, thanks

Zet
July 31st, 2009, 02:45 AM
not everyone buys an iPhone, I for one would rather buy a new computer than an iPhone seeing as they both cost the same amount