PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Aljam
July 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Has anyone ever stayed up all night? Cause I'm doing that right now! It's like 5am right now and i'm still up. Also what have you done when you were up all night? I'm kinda feeling weird right now, due to the lack of sleep.

Wings Don't Cry
July 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I did that once I only I had to go to school the next day and I slept in Science, it didn't seem weird to everyone since I slept in Science every other day because I found little interest in Year 9 Science(this was last year)

Rokusasu
July 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I've been doing it a lot lately, though ever since I changed my mattress/ slept the wrong way round on my bed, I've been fine. o_o; When I can't sleep, I come on here, or play Solitaire whilst listening to iTunes.

donavannj
July 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I've done all-nighters several times, against my better judgment. First one was when I was 11. I was up all night playing Game Boy in my bed.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia three years ago, its annoying and some of the sleeping pill will work at first but after a couple of weeks (or even days) the pills were not strong enough.

:t354:TG

Neutrino
July 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
The root of insomania is most likely to be something in or around the area in which you sleep. My psychology teacher told me that, because my dad has insomania. Well, he thinks he does, but I think it's because my very small and naive siblings always go into the parents' room at night and wake them up.

Cherrim
July 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Occasionally pulling all-nighters =/= insomnia.

:( Insomnia is a serious issue and when I only had a mild case of it, it was absolutely horrible. It's so frustrating lying down at a decent hour and only managing to "fall asleep" when you literally pass out from exhaustion, if that even happens. I was missing school every other day, I was never rested, and I was a total wreck for a month or so until I got a prescription for sleeping meds. It's only recently that I've gone back to "normal" in the sense that I can finally fall asleep properly even if there's a bit of light or noise in the area. (I used to have to unplug everything in my room, sleep with earplugs, etc. so there'd be nothing to bother me.)

As for all-nighters, I do that all the time, especially when I'm in school. I work better at night so I prefer a more nocturnal schedule. I used to pull them a fair bit in high school too and I always quite liked the "highs" where you feel ridiculous and light-headed from lack of sleep but... then you crash and it's horrible. XD; I think the longest I've stayed up (insomnia not counting) was 38 hours or something, trying to finish an art project.

♣Gawain♣
July 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I never had one, but I occasionally stayed up all night. Especially Christmas and New Years Eve. My rule is never to stay up all night in front of the computer, or it'll kill you.

Giraffles <3
July 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Only sometimes, but that's usually because I'm hanging with friends :3.

Rich Boy Rob
July 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I've never had insomnia in the sense that I literally cannot sleep for nights on end but I've ha the odd night where I don't fall asleep until like 2 in the morning.

I never had one, but I occasionally stayed up all night. Especially Christmas and New Years Eve. My rule is never to stay up all night in front of the computer, or it'll kill you.

Wow all those all nighters I've had in front some kind of computer/TV screen at sleepovers over the years would given me a fate worse than death.... Zombiism the next morning.

Ayselipera
July 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I did it once at a sleep over. Then the next day I slept the whole day away. Therefore never again.

As for insomnia sometimes I get it during the school year. Other wise it happenes before I have to do something I've never done before or involves a lot of people. I get extremely nervous and it makes me sick which keeps me up all night. I don't think thats exactly what insomnia is, but all I know is that it keeps me from sleeping. Its quite the problem.

Timbjerr
July 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't call it chronic insomnia, but about once or twice a month, I have a night where I just can't manage to go to sleep, so I spend the night watching TV or playing video games until I feel sleepy, which sometimes doesn't happen until 5-6 in the morning, which is usually out of the question because I have to wake up to get to class at about 7, so I get through the school day a little drowzy, but not flat out asleep thanks to my good friend, Mr Caffeine.

Also, since middle school, there have also been several instances every year of me paying for my procrastination and having to intentionally stay up all night to finish up some schoolwork. :P

Anxiety.
July 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I've stayed awake for two full days. Living on energy drinks and sugar.
I draw and watch things like South Park and Scrubs to stay awake.

Sweet Smoochum
July 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM
It's hard for me to fall asleep at night. I can't sleep at night with knowing that someone else in the house is still awake. I have to be the last one to fall asleep. I have stayed up all night many times. I can't fall asleep on an empty stomach. My bed is too firm. Sleeping on the couch is surprisingly more comfortable. I've been up since 11:57 pm. It's now 4:05 pm. I'm really tired, but my neighbor has guests and the little pests keep screaming. It's very annoying.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
July 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I threw my sleeping seclude out of wack.

I can't fall asleep until 2am.
Suprisingly, I wake up at 9am. O_o

Neutrino
July 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Sometimes people can't get to sleep because their mind is hyperactive in anticipation of something that' going to happen, in msot cases the next day or in the next few days. The stupidest thign to do in these situations, is try and not think about it, because, being the tricky little thing it is, a person's mind has a way of making you think about it: you think about not thinking about it. Thinking about what? not thinking about- oh, and before you know it, your thinking about what you don;t want to think about, because your thinking that you don;t want to think about what you don't want to hink about!

Complicated, isn't it? Just ask and I'll explain.

Azonic
July 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I sometimes stay up for a while because I can't sleep. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't fall back to sleep either. Never have I actually stayed up all night though. 0_o

Link
July 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM
As many of my friends on PC know and many of my friends in real life know for that matter, i suffer from terrible insomnia. Currently i've been awake for 40hrs 45mins and counting. Though my insomnia is very much caused by my very active mind. I have a right side brain which means i'm more creatively talented rather than being more of a Connoisseur. I write a lot of poetry and music and a lot of my creativity comes to me when i'm half asleep. Only problem then is that i forget it all again... I've had weeks where i've only slept for less than 35hours and had to go to hospital because of it. Nothing serious of course but they told what i could to do to sort it out.
Though, now that's summer a lot of the things they suggested i do, i can't. When i don't have school or work i'm not tired at the end of the day. Having insomnia really effected my social life because i just didn't hang out with my friends or go out at night because i would be far too tired. What was worse though was work. I would not be able to work the next day as basically i wouldn't have had sleep.
I used to work on a building site so having insomnia really did not help lifting tonnnes of blocks here and there. No matter what i did to try combat my insomnia, nothing worked. I would really have to work myself extremely hard in school or at the gym or at work before i got home. Then when i got home i would have to do all the litlle things that would help you sleep such as, hot milk, baths, not using any electronics etc. I would walk around town and people would litrally walk up to me and ask was i sick due to my eyes being red with tiredness.
I wouldn't be able to do anything if i had one of those weeks where i got less than 35 hours sleep I pretty much just sat or lie down hoping to sleep. I was recommeneded to take sleeping pills once i was 16 but i never did. Just kinda stuck it out i guess. Even though a lot of my insomnia is down to my mind being so active a lot of it comes from things in my past haunting me. Being one with insomnia you tend to lead a bit of a dark life, or at least when you're suffering a period of having it. Things slow down at night so you can relax and have more time to yourself and time moves a lot more slowley. Where as during the day time there are things going on and you just have so little energy that it's a blur. And in case you've actually read this and are wondering what part of the day it is for me, its that awful stretch from dusk till dawn. 3.04am... Mhmm lovely

Freestyle Farfetch'd
July 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Tooootaally.

My sleep paterns are all over the place and shift at random. Though I'd definately say I'm a pretty nocturnal person, I feel naturaly most awake in the small, wee hours of the morning. Like now, for example: 4:19am =P

Aljam
July 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I went to my family doctor about the issue, and she said that I have an active mind. She also said I should try and read a book. Tried that and it didn't work because I don't really have any. So I've been reading old egm magazines. She said not to do anything stimulatory. So I tried sleeping in my basement. I find that the old couch is way comfy. If I had school, I'd be up, because I procrastinate during the day XD. At night I am at my peak!

LightSlei
July 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
My sleep pattern is very random in pattern, I'll sleep anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours, I'll stay awake anywhere from 7 hours to 27 hours (without insomnia). The worst I had with insomnia was 62 hours straight, I slept for an entire day afterwords :S.

Shem
July 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I pulled an all nighter once when I was 13, we spent the night playing Gauntlet on the Gamecube and throwing teddygrams at Joey so that fat dog that was living with us at the time would go over there and harass him.

The morning sucked, we went to sleep after sun up, but then my friends said "hey let's go get Tyler", so I let them go and went to sleep, they came back and went to sleep because he wasn't there, I woke up after everyone was gone and found out that Tyler (the one we went to get and the kid who didn't want to come that night) had gotten hit by a car at 10PM that night while crossing the highway on his bike (wearing all black during night!!!) to go to Taco Johns.

Then to make it worse I had to go to my cousins grad party that day and her friend was talking about it because he saw it happen... =/ That day sucked x2 because of lack of sleep and dead friend.

Yeah, that's my all nighter story, I haven't pulled an all nighter since, just because me and my friends can never get together all at once or it occurs at a certain friend of mine's house whose step-dad has something against me and won't let me in. And all nighters with just yourself or 2 people just never seem to work.

Citrinin
July 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm quite nocturnal, but, luckily, I don't suffer from insomnia. I once a knew a person who had it, and he hated it. D:

However, when I do have sleep troubles, sleeping pills have the exact opposite effect intended on me. XD;