PDA

View Full Version : IE not working... (NEED HELP! NOW!)

BakingBluePotatoe
July 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
..... in addition to that, my YIM gives me "Messenger enountered a connection problem. Please check the network oonnetion and clik 'Try Again' (81003004)"

--

I opened IE, but no pages load...

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

---

But, I'm conneted! FF works fine! so does MSN!

HELP! I really need my YIM to work TONIGHT! (If you've been to TSS yesterday or today you an probably guess why)

And BTW, YIM is just been installed on this machine.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm on a LAN connection, with the main omputer being onneted to Wi-Fi.
I tried changing in Connection preferances to T1/LAN.
Tried making IE default...
Didn't work.

(I tried to fix this myself, by looking online... apparently YIM needs IE to work before it an. or soemthing. is this true?)

Lie Ren
July 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Well I can't help with the main issue, but I do know that YIM doesn't need IE to connect. I know plenty of people who use YIM without having IE. D: That said, I think it would be weird if the two problems were connected, but stranger things have happened..

I did find this for Yahoo, though. Quoted from a different website.

as far as wat i did to my YM.

in YIM i simply checked the connection preferences and turned

"Connect via a proxy server."

then select

"HTTP proxy"

after that take a look at your internet connection dropdown list..

some mistakes are seen here.. instead of having the "broadband" connection selected the "dial-up" connection was chosen by YM itself..

hope that helps ya ^^

Give that a shot, if you can?

Ayano Katagiri
July 31st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Well I can't help with the main issue, but I do know that YIM doesn't need IE to connect. I know plenty of people who use YIM without having IE.

Yes but when you have it installed, YIM uses the connection settings that you have set up for IE.

That error "81003004" usually relates to a connection type problem IIRC. If your Firefox is working, that means it's something up with your IE. Check your connection settings in IE and compare with Firefox to see if there's any differences and adjust IE's to FF's if there is. Also, have you made sure the "Work Offline" button in IE is unchecked? That can also be the culprit sometimes with this I've found (for WLM, but I believe YIM does the same). File > uncheck Work Offline.

Rukario
July 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM
also you may want to scan your machine for viruses and other nasties.. you may have caught something that's messing with your inet settings / apps.

Zet
July 31st, 2009, 01:08 AM
YIM? why use a piece of garbage when MSN/WLM and multi-messenger clients are superior? Also you don't need IE since it's a browser that doesn't work, besides you have FF to work for you :D also you might want to explain this TSS thing. Also just reinstall IE, that should fix your problem

Ascaris
July 31st, 2009, 01:14 AM
IE sucks anyway. You should be glad. Just use Firefox.

And yes, Zet is right: YIM is crappy.

Pazuzu
July 31st, 2009, 01:27 AM
First off, what version of IE?
If it's 6, upgrade.
If it's 7, upgrade.

After that, you should try Ayano Katagiri's idea of checking the offline mode.
Also check if you have any suspicious addons installed (Extras->Manage Addons), also try to run IE in safe mode (shortcut is in your start menu's accessory folder).

Do you get that problem with every site, even Windows Update?

BakingBluePotatoe
July 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM
........... saying "YIM and IE suck" isn't exactly helping. And 1) I have MSN. but there's something going on tonight, so I'll use YIM. 2) Don't you need to use IE to use Windows Update?

Okay, I think I'll go upgrade my IE to 8.... I'll post here with what happens.

Zet
July 31st, 2009, 02:12 AM
You don't need IE to use Windows Update, and telling you they suck might make you use better programs :o Though it's probably because you haven't got IE8

BakingBluePotatoe
July 31st, 2009, 03:42 AM
You don't need IE to use Windows Update, and telling you they suck might make you use better programs :o Though it's probably because you haven't got IE8

you don't? =O

and I just instlled IE8........ still not working... I guess it has something to do with IE's settings?

But.... I THINK they're the same as FF's... *tries logging into WML* Huh... Service Unvailable. *troubleshoot* Huh. says my gateway's offline... but obviously I'm connected to the internet.
Does MSN/WLM use IE's settings or FF's? (FF is my default)

...The timer is ticking...

Zet
July 31st, 2009, 03:57 AM
it shouldn't use IE's or FF's settings by default, though have you tried a virus scan yet?

Pazuzu
July 31st, 2009, 06:26 AM
You do need IE to access Windows Update on pre-Vista computers, assuming you have XP here.

Did you even try what I wrote? lol

Do that, then check your connection settings for IE: Extras->Internet options->Connections->LAN settings
By default there shouldn't anything be in there, except maybe the automatic search for settings.

(And yes, WLM uses IE's connection settings unless you specify manual ones inside WLM)

Gary, the Magic Fairy
July 31st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Not a solution, but can you not get on YIM through a working browser by logging into your Yahoo Email?

twocows
July 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Try unchecking "Work Offline;" I've had a few people do that without thinking.

You do need IE to access Windows Update on pre-Vista computers, assuming you have XP here.
You're welcome. :D (http://windizupdate.com/)
Not Windows Update, but good enough for most people.

BakingBluePotatoe
July 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I ran Ad-Aware 2008 and it only brought up 2 tracking cookies and 3 MRU objets. I got rid of both.

Yeah, I'm running XP. I forgot to mention that.

......... okay, there's definatly something wierd going on. I tried to upload 2 pitures to try to show you guys the IE and FF settings and another with the IMs.... but... I tried here, Photobuket, and Imageshack, and none of them work!

EDIT: I'll try the site twocows linked. I'll post what happens!
EDIT: ACK! the plugin gives me a couldn't find install script error... or soemthing like that. and the link to the extention seems broken..
(Not Found

The requested URL /extension was not found on this server.)

twocows
July 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM
stuff
Hm, that's odd. It worked fine for me last month when I used it on the Aptiva that I removed IE from. Try the installer program (here (http://windizupdate.com/files/windizupdate_setup.exe)).

BakingBluePotatoe
July 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hm, that's odd. It worked fine for me last month when I used it on the Aptiva that I removed IE from. Try the installer program (here (http://windizupdate.com/files/windizupdate_setup.exe)).

got it.... and it found nothing.

I just remembered, when I woke up from a short sleep a short while ago, (about 2:30) it said it updated, then restarted my computer...