PDA

View Full Version : Forum culture

Spearow
July 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
It's sort of weird to observe how even in communities whose members never interact face-to-face a culture still develops, complete with memes and unwritten etiquette. People even start to type/share ideas so similarly that it becomes impossible to distinguish one poster from another (case in point: 4chan)

One thing's for sure - as soon as a forum/chat group becomes established enough to have more than a few members, certain customs and rules begin to fall into place of their own accord, and it develops a unique atmosphere.

So, what are some cultural mores and practices you've noticed here on PC that don't apply as much anywhere else? I have a whole bunch that I've noticed, but I'll keep most of them to myself so I don't totally deprive this thread of posting content.

For example: bright, photoshopped "themes" that specifically feature characters from (occasionally obscure) Japanese media. It's sort of a fashion sense, so to speak, that many members seem to take up soon after they arrive here

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
July 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've noticed some too. Like the fact that members always try to maintain a certain degree of etiquette when dealing with other members. However, sometimes flame wars are started by some people and this rule is shattered. That person sometimes (most of the times) loses respect from other members.