PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray or Dvd?

Kazukii
August 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Which do you currently use at home?

Wings Don't Cry
August 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
DVD still, I don't about about anyone else but most people I know don't use Blu-ray simply because DVD is still the best.

Kazukii
August 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I'm currently on Dvd but I know in a few years, I'm bound to be on Blu-Ray.

Bianca Paragon
August 4th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Blu-ray :3 Basically if you've ever had Blu-ray...you can't ever go back to DVD's. Icky GROSS.

Graceful
August 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
DVD. Blue-Ray players cost mega-money! And so do the disks but DVD's are cheaper of what I've seen!

donavannj
August 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I have both... though I can only watch BluRay on my laptop, since it's the only BluRay player in the house.

Pokepal17
August 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Right now, I'm using DVD.

Cherrim
August 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Blu-ray :3 Basically if you've ever had Blu-ray...you can't ever go back to DVD's. Icky GROSS.
^ This.

Though lack of a Blu-ray player when I'm away from home forces me to mostly buy DVDs. ;_;' That and the only stuff I actually buy these days is usually on DVD-only. But still, I looove Blu-ray. :3

Cassino
August 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I won't ever use BR unless I am forced to, (perhaps amazingly) simply because the name is silly. Compact disc and digital versatile disc sound fine but blu-ray sounds branded (actually, isn't it copyright Sony?), and branded things make me cringe. :|

Gerri Shin
August 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I use DVD because Blu ray players are still way too expensive for me. I do love them though.

.little monster
August 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
DVD, I will be switching to Blue-ray when I get the optical drive for my computer.

Benadryl
August 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I see nothing wrong with the quality of DVD picture definition. But that's beside the point... there's just nothing that could convince me to pay Blu Ray prices on something that I don't use very often.

Bianca Paragon
August 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
It's "Blu Ray" people. Not "Blue Ray". And if you can't see the difference between Blu Ray and DVD; having seen both? Well..I suggest an eye exam D:

shining-Celebi
August 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I use DVD, but hardly buy/watch movies anyway.

twocows
August 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
DVD, and I see no reason to switch. The audio quality is about the same, and the video quality is more than good enough for me. I don't mind lower quality if it means not buying something expensive.

Bianca Paragon
August 4th, 2009, 10:56 AM
...you didn't seriously try and just say that AC3 and DTS are "about the same" as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, did you? D: Especially given the latter two options on a BluRay spec. are lossless~

Timbjerr
August 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Until I can afford a Blu-Ray player, I'm stuck on DVDs. ^_^;

Vyro
August 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Blue ray. It is completely, epicly, totally, awesome.

Devil's Guitarist
August 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
dvd because of the ps2,but eventually i will get a ps3...

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
DVD, Can't afford Blu-ray movies, and lets just say most of my DVDs... aren't store-bought. Blank Blu-ray discs are ridiculous. I can get about 25 DVDs for the price of 1 Blu-ray disc, so... I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

twocows
August 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
...you didn't seriously try and just say that AC3 and DTS are "about the same" as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, did you? D: Especially given the latter two options on a BluRay spec. are lossless~
On my crappy setup? Yeah, they're about the same.

as2
August 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
DVD, Can't afford Blu-ray movies, and lets just say most of my DVDs... aren't store-bought. Blank Blu-ray discs are ridiculous. I can get about 25 DVDs for the price of 1 Blu-ray disc, so... I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Who says you need to burn them? The PS3 happily streams all sorts of media content across networks! :)

For the record, we buy the occasional Bluray discs. The quality isn't just a bit better, there is a world of difference. I suppose it depends on the TV youv'e got though.. ;) (Samsung Series 8 ftw.)

.Vaporeon
August 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Blu Ray. Once you've got one, you won't be coming back. Seriously though, the definition is so much better than DVDs. I don't find a problem with the disc cost, I bought a Blu Ray movie a few days ago, the movie was practically new and it only was about 3 dollars more.

.zero

Satoshi Ookami
August 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Still DVDs I don't know if I even stop using 'em...

xxxLatiasxxx
August 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I use Dvd I don't have Blu-Ray.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Who says you need to burn them? The PS3 happily streams all sorts of media content across networks! :)

For the record, we buy the occasional Bluray discs. The quality isn't just a bit better, there is a world of difference. I suppose it depends on the TV youv'e got though.. ;) (Samsung Series 8 ftw.)Yeah, streaming a Blu-ray quality movie on an internet connection that's about 25kbps. That would be fun.

as2
August 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah, streaming a Blu-ray quality movie on an internet connection that's about 25kbps. That would be fun.

I never said internet.. I have gigabit ethernet around my house, and it works great :P

A Real True Winner Is Me
August 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
My family uses DVD. I don't have blu-Ray.

perajorma
August 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
VHS owns !!! :D :D :D :) woot

Johnny590
August 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM
lol I can't afford anything that plays blu ray, so I'm sticking with DVD's.

And I don't even own that many dvd's, I download movies online in dvd quality and keep them on my PC.

But my all time favorite films I have them on dvd :P

Camisado
August 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I use DVD exclusively.

We did only just remove the VCR from the living room when we got our satellite package upgraded to Sky+, which has a hard disk inside xD

I don't see us buying Blu-Ray players any time soon. I like picking up DVDs for £3 each in HMV on a good day.

txteclipse
August 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have a PS3, so I watch things in Blu Ray. DVDs make me break down in tears now.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I use both DVD and blue Ray

:t354:TG

Pazuzu
August 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
You did not just put the two up against each other in a poll.

That's like comparing Ferrari to Trabant. x_X

Blu-Ray all the way. Now if only the devices were cheaper...

Algo Fonix
August 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
DVD. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, yet.

Feign
August 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM
If blu-ray was a hot female, I'd be making love to it. XD

Unfortunately however, the change over to blu-ray is a slow process, so movies/shows that I wish were on blu-ray are not, just yet (especially imports like anime).

Needless to say, the cool thing about blu-ray is BD-Live. You can access more content with it, and even upload your own commentaries where others can watch/listen to you whilst watching the film.

Not only that, you have the chance to have a live commentary with cast and or crew, such as my experience with watching The Dark Knight with Christopher Nolan. There, we got to ask him questions, to which he answered. He also answered one of my own questions.

icomeanon6
August 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I don't have a Blu-ray player, probably because I don't have a high definition TV. I've seen movies on Blu-ray before (specifically 2001 and The Dark Knight), and I thought the display was spectacular. I imagine that Blu-ray isn't catching on as quickly as DVD did only because not that many people have HD yet. Basically, I prefer Blu-ray but I'm not going to buy it until HD technology becomes cheaper.

kohei
August 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
My HD-compatible TV is tiny, so when I borrowed a PS3 from a friend to watch some BD movies, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and DVD.

I'm happy to stick to my DVD player, until I get a better setup.

Freestyle Farfetch'd
August 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
DVD right now, though I wouldn't mind getting a Blu Ray player.

But to be honest... once I'm immeresed in whatever I'm watching, I tend to forget about picture quality! Though for some reason, whenever I'm playing video games, I can't stand it if the picture quality is any less than perfect.

Besides, most of what I want to watch is on online catch-up services.

Captain Hobo.
August 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I use dvd because they cost less.

jadored
August 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
VHS owns !!! :D :D :D :) woot

YES.

I mostly use VHS becuase, we can't afford Blu Ray and DvDs are to easily ruined. With 7 kids in the house we usually get to watch out Dvds once before they are unusable.

VHS lasts forever!
xD

(Assuming you don't do something stupid to it >.<)

pandapop999
August 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Still on DVD. We've got HD TV's and moniters, but no Blu ray discs or player. Also waiting for HD TV too.. UK is really behind :X, especially since they're starting to bring out 1600p televisions out.

Bianca Paragon
August 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Still on DVD. We've got HD TV's and moniters, but no Blu ray discs or player. Also waiting for HD TV too.. UK is really behind :X, especially since they're starting to bring out 1600p televisions out.
720p and 1080p are all that are relevant.

pandapop999
August 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Not really. 720p isn't any good. 1280 x 720 isn't a high enough resolution for some of the TV sizes today (Which is why normal TV looks even more awful). 1080p should and eventually will be the standard, with 1600p (2560 x 1600) well on the way as the next installment of high definition. We've had computer displays at 1600p for quite a while now, it was only a matter of time until TV's started to follow. There isn't any 1600p content now, but there will be in a few years, and blu ray will become as cheap and easy as DvD is now.

Bianca Paragon
August 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Not really. 720p isn't any good. 1280 x 720 isn't a high enough resolution for some of the TV sizes today (Which is why normal TV looks even more awful). 1080p should and eventually will be the standard, with 1600p (2560 x 1600) well on the way as the next installment of high definition. We've had computer displays at 1600p for quite a while now, it was only a matter of time until TV's started to follow. There isn't any 1600p content now, but there will be in a few years, and blu ray will become as cheap and easy as DvD is now.
720p is what the majority of HDTV channels broadcast on. That, or 1080i ~ which 720p sets can render just fine. So yes, 720p is quite relevant and perhaps even moreso than 1080p as far as content is concerned. And you'll axshaully find 2560x1600 is not a 16:9 aspect ratio and thus will not find a strong foothold in the television arena :3 Infact, "1600p" isn't even a ratified HDTV resolution~

Jolene
August 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I prefer Blu-Ray because, well, it's HD. Surely that's reason enough?

Gleam Noiyam
August 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
DVD. Blu-ray is expensive. Plus... I don't need that software on my computer. High definition isn't really my type.