PDA

View Full Version : Pneumonic Plague in China

Åzurε
August 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Here's the MSNBC article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32265866/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

The pneumonic plague was one of the plagues responsible for what we know today as the Black Death. I'm in awe that the Swine Flu is still in the news, while this hasn't been mentioned on TV. Maybe because it's in China right now. Or the media's being stupid. Your thoughts?

.little monster
August 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I've seen it on TV. And maybe it's not a big deal because it's not new and we have a treatment for it? Another reason is why it's not a big deal is because they already completely quarantined it and it cannot get out. And if it does, like I said there is a cure. A safe and cheap cure. It's not really a big deal, it's not like it came out of no where. It's just not very common. It's quite rare. People still get bubonic plague, and that's rare.

♣Gawain♣
August 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Especially in polluted and contaminated places, like in the slums. Lots of rats there, not to mention flea.

Åzurε
August 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm glad it's on the TVs somewhere, at least.
We may have cures, but according to what I've found on it, you generally reach the point of death within 2-4 days, with a 50-90% success rate on part of the disease. I'm thinking (strictly from a USA point of view atm), if it does make news, it'll probably be reported as a huge flipping deal and make a bunch of people panic, and they'll make up a vaccine (which probably won't work without really crappy side-effects), and they won't be able to keep enough cure on the shelves. And who says it couldn't get out? Quarantine doesn't actually guarantee anything, and in China it seems somewhat probable that it could get out. Mice still carry it, too.
I'm not one for apocalypse alerts, and I doubt that the world will end due to something that's already come through like this, but without proper measures it can get really bad.

Red1530
August 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thank goodness that the Chinese authorities have initiated a quarantined in the infected area.

♣Gawain♣
August 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Quarantine is good in reported areas, how about the other infected areas?

Greene1516
August 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
The reason it's not such big news is because people actually still come down with a case of the "Black Death" all the time, but it just doesn't normally spread like back in the olden days. My guess is they figure that they can contain it easily.

♣Gawain♣
August 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
With all the technology and advancement, yes. And I hope it really does, unless the Black Plague mutates, if you know what I mean.

Azonic
August 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Let's all watch the media make a huge deal out of this and make it sound 10 times worse than it actually is. 8( Just like H1N1, which wasn't even any worse than a regular flu.

Shem
August 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I've seen it on TV. And maybe it's not a big deal because it's not new and we have a treatment for it? Another reason is why it's not a big deal is because they already completely quarantined it and it cannot get out. And if it does, like I said there is a cure. A safe and cheap cure. It's not really a big deal, it's not like it came out of no where. It's just not very common. It's quite rare. People still get bubonic plague, and that's rare.

According to my history teacher, pneumonic plague is not curable and is more deadly than bubonic, whereas bubonic is easy to get rid of nowadays.