PDA

View Full Version : "I could care less"

Jolene
August 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
It really bugs me when people type "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". It's a really common mistake, and I have no idea why so many people make it.

I mean, don't these people actually think about what the phrase means before they type it out? Haven't they ever heard it being spoken? Haven't they seen it written down in a book or something? How is it even possible to think that "I could care less" is the correct phrase? It... it doesn't even make sense...

Doesn't it bug you too? Oh, and if you reply with either of the two afforementioned phrases, then it won't be witty because I predicted it.

bit.trip void
August 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Well, it's possible. Maybe they could care less, maybe it doesnt really bother them?

Jolene
August 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well, it's possible. Maybe they could care less, maybe it doesnt really bother them?

Nobody ever means it like that though.

bit.trip void
August 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I could care less.

It doesn't really matter. XD.

Bagel
August 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I COULD CARE LESS!

This thread was screaming for that.

Why should you care about that? Does it really matter that much to you?

Jolene
August 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ahem. I believe that I already said in my opening post:

Oh, and if you reply with either of the two afforementioned phrases, then it won't be witty because I predicted it.

Slash Beast ∞
August 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Realizing that I use both when I talk, I'll say this.

I COULD care less about how I say it, but I COULDN'T care less about how I use it in a sentence.

.little monster
August 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I always say "I could care less" as "It doesn't really matter", if I mean I couldn't care less I would say I couldn't care less.

Zorua
August 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You may have predicted it, but chances are that they were being sarcastic.

And I don't see why the slight grammar change has to be so bothersome to you. o_o; Not everyone is going to use the same terms in their vocabulary, y'know. If you prefer to say "It doesn't matter", then hey, that's totally you. People have different preferences(usually) grammar-wise, so yeah.

I, for one, use both, but it depends exactly on which mood I'm in that'll determine which one I'll say. Usually I'll avoid saying it at all 'cause...well it's not the greatest thing you wanna hear; it actually hurts. D:

Citrinin
August 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm generally pretty tolerant to changes in grammar and phrasing - although I myself use "I couldn't care less".

.Seth
August 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
This is a little thing that irks me, nothing more.
But still, it does bother me. ;;

Yuri Lowell
August 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Oh gosh.. I think the same thing. xD;

They intend for it to mean that they don't care at all.. when it makes it seem like the opposite. I always want to get all mean, and be like "Sooo.. you DO care, then? >w>" Of course, since it's a common grammatical error, they might not even realize why I was teasing them.

It doesn't annoy me, really.. just, kinda of temps me to into 'sarcasm mode', just to mess with them.

Bianca Paragon
August 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
For people that think saying "I could care less" means you don't care..you're wrong :X If you "could care less" you're saying that there are things you care less about than this; implying in-fact that you DO actually care about this.
That's why "I couldn't care less" is accurate; it means "of all things there is nothing I care less about than this".
Can we contribute our own peeves? People who can't properly say "For all intents and purposes". I swear everytime I read someone say "for all intensive purposes" I want to strangle a baby.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
August 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have looked upon the phrase and seen this,
It's very strange.

BUT I COULD CARE LESS. X3

Camisado
August 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM
YES. I am such a nitpicker when it comes to the English language, and this sort of thing just makes me rage.

Though, really, I don't like people saying it at all because it's just rude. D;

Yuri Lowell
August 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM
OH.

Then there's this one.. which happens more online then in real life conversations, but I've seen both.

It's "If it's any consolation," when it's correct, means 'if it's any comfort to you.'

Yet, a lot of people don't know the correct wording, and say 'constellation'.

"Well, if it's any constellation.. etc".

Seriously.. ? If anyone knows what constellation means, they should know that's not correct, but that's just my opinion. xD;

Wings Don't Cry
August 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I always found "I could care less" as a more polite way of saying it since to me it's saying they don't really care but they're actually going out of their way to care a tiny bit for it. Just scratch that my words don't even make sense to me.

But "I couldn't care less" would definitely be the correct way of saying it and it doesn't bother me at all since English is apparently one of the hardest languages to learn even though I couldn't find a simpler language.

Jolene
August 12th, 2009, 03:35 AM
For anyone who thinks that "I could care less" is a nicer way of saying it or whatever, you're wrong. "I could care less" is an utterly nonsensical phrase in any context because it doesn't specify how much you do care. It's not a usable phrase.

Seriously, if you've been wording it "I could care less", just admit your mistake and change your ways.

Midnight Bear
August 12th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I couldn't care less means it is physically impossible for the person saying it to "care less" about what they are referring to. If you assigned points for how much you care, it would be zero.

I could care less means that it is physically possible for the person saying it to "care less" about what they are referring to. If you assigned points for how much you care, it would be X. X would be anything higher than zero.

"I could care less" is a rather nonsensical way of describing how you much you care about something, as it lacks an actual way of determining how much you actually care. Not zero isn't the same as a huge number.

Chibi-chan
August 12th, 2009, 04:08 AM
To be honest, as long as the intended point gets across, I couldn't care less on how I say...'I couldn't care less!'
It's like arguing the political correctness of saying "God bless you". You know in what context they're saying the phase, it's not like it's in gibberish. Doesn't bother me at all.

Cherrim
August 12th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I think I was guilty of this for a while until I stopped and thought about what I was saying, haha. So many mistakes just like that would be so easily resolved if people would take a second to question whether what they're saying actually makes sense but since it's apparently a well-accepted phrase (or so they think), they don't bother.

It doesn't bug me TOO much, and I don't call people out on it much anymore, but I always notice.
For people that think saying "I could care less" means you don't care..you're wrong :X If you "could care less" you're saying that there are things you care less about than this; implying in-fact that you DO actually care about this.
That's why "I couldn't care less" is accurate; it means "of all things there is nothing I care less about than this".
Can we contribute our own peeves? People who can't properly say "For all intents and purposes". I swear everytime I read someone say "for all intensive purposes" I want to strangle a baby.
This this this this this. >:( I hate when people get "for all intents and purposes" wrong. It's not a hard phrase but I guess if you've never seen it written out before, it can be hard to pick up on the actual wording. I'd say to just google it before you write it so you know the difference but I half-expect that the wrong one would bring up enough hits to make people assume it was right anyway.

Other peeves of mine are when people say "why did you do that for" instead of, you know, "what did you do that for" or "why did you do that". uggh. Also this one might just be me but "same difference" instead of using the phrase "same thing" really irks me. :(

Horizon
August 12th, 2009, 05:29 AM
well, it is more grammatically correct to use "couldn't care less", but I find more generally that Americans use 2could care less". I'm not trying to be offensive to anybody, but I've only seen American users say it that way.

Jorah
August 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Haha, I thought I was the only one that cared about the way people said that XD I always say "I couldn't care less" and I've always found it really funny, and somewhat annoying, when people say they "could" care less, too. XD. If people like saying that, then fine, but I always find it annoying.

♣Gawain♣
August 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I always say "I could care less" as "It doesn't really matter", if I mean I couldn't care less I would say I couldn't care less.

Well spoken. It is like the synonym of "I don't really care". You couldn't care less because you are incapable of doing it and because that is the limit. Anyway, this is bit confusing.

Bianca Paragon
August 12th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Well spoken. It is like the synonym of "I don't really care". You couldn't care less because you are incapable of doing it and because that is the limit. Anyway, this is bit confusing.
How is saying "I really don't care" anywhere like a synonym for "I care enough that there are things I care less about" which is what you're saying when you say "I could care less"?

♣Gawain♣
August 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'm referring to a singular object, and it means that "I don't care because I have other things to care about". And you're making it more confusing.

Bianca Paragon
August 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I'm referring to a singular object, and it means that "I don't care because I have other things to care about". And you're making it more confusing.
But by saying "I could care less" it means there's things you care less about so therefore you DO care.

Here's a diagram

If you say "I couldn't care less"; here' is what you're saying:

Most Care Factor
Stuff
Things
Other Stuff
This
Least Care Factor

Now, notice there's nothing you care LESS about because it's at the bottom. There's nothing below it, because you could NOT care less; that's how LITTLE you care.

But if you say "I could care less" you're saying this:

Most Care Factor
Stuff
This
Things
Other Stuff
Least Care Factor

Notice how much higher it is up the list? It means you care about it quite a lot, in-fact! As a matter of fact it could be the thing you care MOST about! Because you care less about other stuff which means this is pretty darn important to you.

Cassino
August 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
One could argue that 'could care less' takes the implication of the original phrase but leaves the amount more apathy they can express open for discovery or the like.
But the phrase alone to an unfamiliar speaker implies more that one actually does care, much as though they had said 'i couldn't care more'; and indeed I took it to mean this the first few times I read it.
Subject already covered and ongoing immeditaely above, it seems. [post was edited although no edit caption is visible]

It's like arguing the political correctness of saying "God bless you". You know in what context they're saying the phase, it's not like it's in gibberish. Doesn't bother me at all.
I'd always seen these as rather literal, as back when they were first said, they would've been. 'God bless you' means what it says, to me, and hence not being monotheistic I have never said it.

22sa
August 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Funny thread =P

But those phrases have different meanings. They both make sense.

Anxiety.
August 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Meh. I get used to people's mistakes, and learn to stop correcting them, for I am no grammar god myself.

Trap-Eds
August 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If you say "I could care less," that means that you can care less, but if you say "I couldn't care less," that means that you can not care less...soo...yeah. Dang, the English language is crazy. :o

poopnoodle
August 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'll be honest, I'm extremely analytical when it comes to other people's syntax. (I certainly don't consider myself perfect, however.) Yes, I do notice when people say "I could care less."

Blue Nocturne
August 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
If you say "I could care less," that means that you can care less, but if you say "I couldn't care less," that means that you can not care less...soo...yeah. Dang, the English language is crazy. :o

What about most every other language? English is one of the few (if only im not sure) laguages that has recognised the Tables do not have genders. Although the neuonces of the English language take a lifetime to understand, such as the never ending list of variables for different conjunctions.

I couldn't care less about other peoples grammar though, not on an internet forum anyway. As long as it is in some way possible to understand then im happy.

RYOUKI
August 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well, that was a very confusing phrase. I really couldn't care less. Since I, myself, is bad at grammar.

Gymnotide
August 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Too much rage in this thread.
And, yes, I could care less.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I see a lot of mods in here
I never say "I could care less" I always say "I couldn't care less". Actually, I really don't say stuff like that, if I don't care about whatever it is, I just keep my mouth shut or not type anything at all.

Kirbychuu
August 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
This thread gave me a good laugh. x3
Tbh, I always flat-out say "I don't care."

Crimson Stardust
August 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
i have never say that before...haha..can't see much difference anyway

GKS
August 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
They both mean the same thing...it is best to just deal with it.

Bianca Paragon
August 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
They both mean the same thing...it is best to just deal with it.
No, they don't. They mean opposite things; that's the crux of this thread. See the handy visual aide (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4975327&postcount=27) for any clarification.

MUSION
August 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I notice it a lot, but it doesn't really bug me (I'll usually just write them off as a little dim :D). Sure it's incorrect, when what they mean is that they couldn't care less, but at the end of the day I know what they meant and that's all that matters XD