PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Military Time

Ineffable~
August 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hello Pokecommunity.
Well, to keep it simple, I use military (or 24-hour) time. I just thought it would be a neat feature if there was an option in the control panel to switch all timepads to military time. I also know a few other people who would greatly appreciate this. I'm not a programming expert, but if I'm not mistaken this would be an easy thing for Rukario. I hope you guys consider this.

All the best,
~Lilbittygoat

Anxiety.
August 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind it. I probably wouldn't notice the change, not may people would.
But I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

But one thing, it doesn't really matter that much does it?

Andrea-chan
August 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I don't think it'd hurt anything (more so because all Nintendo systems goes by this time format). But it really depends on the demand for this, and/or if some Admin wants to put something together.

Ineffable~
August 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM
But one thing, it doesn't really matter that much does it? If I may say so, that's easy for you to say. I mean, I just don't see why not. It would actually mean a lot to me.

Mika
August 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'd appreciate it. o_o; Military time is so much easier to translate [as far as when you're looking at someone in another country] for me anyways. XD;

Is it not a standard feature? o.o

Anxiety.
August 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If I may say so, that's easy for you to say. I mean, I just don't see why not. It would actually mean a lot to me.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to be rude. I was just asking if it mattered so much to ask someone to do it for you.
Clearly it does. In which case I support this idea.

Ineffable~
August 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hm... Well, that's good. I thought it was a rhetorical question. xD

Rukario
August 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
easy to switch / fix.. It should have already been in 24 hour format (UTC by default) based on the server's time settings..

it's set to use 24 hour clock now.

Hiidoran
August 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Is there any possibility of being able to toggle between the two time settings?

Personally, I liked it better before.

øbliteration
August 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
^ agree. Can there be a choice?

zevarius kerensky
August 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
i dnt liek this format... 24 hour time is not good 4 me

normal time is better imo

edit (adding somethin): im a 14 year old lucario tht cnt understand milatary time PLZ change it back PLZ

lightning... im w/ u aswell

i can understand normal time better thn millatary time (@ the person tht commented me)

Bagel
August 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I like Military time. some people dont know it though and can get confused.

i prefer it though.

Cherrim
August 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
easy to switch / fix.. It should have already been in 24 hour format (UTC by default) based on the server's time settings..

it's set to use 24 hour clock now.
...I prefer 12-hour too. :( Like, immensely prefer.

IceSage
August 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I could have sworn that the forums that you're using, (VBulletin?) come with an option to let you insert your own date format, using the PHP abbreviations.

Overall, that would be the be solution, making it customizable by all.

http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

Chibi-chan
August 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I can't stand military time @___________@
Can we please make this optional? Military time is so utterly confusing.

øbliteration
August 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
How do I change it back? I can't even read military time, omg. :(

That's the point.. I don't think you can.
And if you can I dunno how

usami
August 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I question those who say they can't understand it.
It's not rocket science.

But still, I think it's hideous looking and would prefer it be optional. :|

.Seth
August 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm confused...
Military Time is not good for me, all of my clocks are set to 12-hour time. I'm with Lightning on this one.
Any option?

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I can't understand this, either, without having to do math every time I look at the time. I came here to make a thread complaining and then saw this. XD

[Edit] Oh, I agree with the "this is fugly" argument also.

Drew
August 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I'd like to be able to have a choice too.. I can't really read Military time. :/

Well, I've been reminded a few times on how to, but it never sticks with me.

I know midnight is 0, and then 1pm is 13:00, and it goes down from there.. Still it's a hassle to always have to think of all that, and then count over it once or twice to make sure its correct.. just to read the time on a forum. xD;

Alli
August 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Options please? It feels awkward. It's a bit more difficult at first glance to tell what time things happened.

Chibi-chan
August 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I really don't understand how we decided to take action on this just based on three opinions and a thread e_e;;

Rokusasu
August 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Extra numbers are confusing me. XD I prefer the old-style. o:

øbliteration
August 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I really don't understand how we decided to take action on this just based on three opinions and a thread e_e;;
Plus the majority here don't even want it..

I mean I don't like it but can we at least lose the seconds part
as in 19:45:06

looks... awful.

Alli
August 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I really don't understand how we decided to take action on this just based on three opinions and a thread e_e;

And notice how nearly every other suggestion doesn't get this treatment. Something like this seems able to have an option, though. It's not a major thing, really.

AtomicoExploda
August 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Wow, i'm surprised that some of you can't understand 24 hours times. o.o
I like this idea, although the other one was okay too, I don't really mind at all, so I say that it should be optional, and not to take either one away.

ReyRey-Pyon
August 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
/can't read 24 hour time either >.>

i agree that it should be optional u_u

Azonic
August 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ew, military time. Then I'd have to subtract 12 from the PM times and... its like math class all over again. ;_____;

ShinjisLover
August 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Oh, Gawd, I much prefer 24-hour time. . ._. I mean, eventually, I can read military time. . XD But it takes forever. . =/ I think it should be optional.

My sentiments exactly. .

Ineffable~
August 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Oh no, what'd I do? ;_; I'm sorry, guys! I only wanted an option for it! I would rather have it as 12-hour than have everyone else suffer a time setting they don't want! :(

Sokai
August 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Erm, it's not that I have trouble reading military time but I'd prefer the ol' 12 hour system and would really prefer it to optional. Plus, now the minute is completely different from my computer and cell phone and before they used to be in-sync with PC. D:

Cherrim
August 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm going to change it back for now. Later, I'm sure we'll have an option to switch between the two at your own leisure but with the overwhelming negative response to 24hr time... well... it makes no sense to leave it that way.

Anxiety.
August 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Jeez. There's just no pleasing you people!

Although I can understand the time either way, I guess making it optional wouldn't be terribly bad...

Ineffable~
August 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Well, Anxiety, to be honest this was really all my fault... No one else should be blamed.

Cherrim
August 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Nah, not your fault. :) You were just asking for the option to do it (which... I'm sure we can add soon enough).

Rukario
August 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
well that didn't last long...
x.x

i prefer the 24H time format myself and well blah blah blah..

also if you read my previous post, I stated that it should have already been in 24 hour time as its also the default for the server.

but meh no matter, its not like your VCR (etc..) where no one knows how to set the time or anything

Ultraviolence
August 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
e_e; I prefer 24hr, but without the seconds, please? And yes, make it optional, too. We don't want poor confused people now do we? Yes.

Angela
August 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I actually find it better to use "military time", probably because I was thought to use that time, we use it in Iceland, when I look at the clock on my phone I see 16 but I think it's 4, I don't need to subtract 12 it comes with practice, when I joined the forum I thought PM and AM was a major pain, but I got used to it... 1=1am 2=2am 3=3am 4=4am 5=5am 6=6am 7=7am 8=8am 9=9am 10=10am 11=11am 12=12pm 13=1pm 14=2pm 15=3pm 16=4pm 17=5pm 18=6pm 19=7pm 20=8pm 21=9pm 22=10pm 23=11pm 0=12am

Arcanine
August 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I personally like the 12 hour time better (but I don't mind having both if we can switch it in the User CP). But Military time isn't that hard to understand. And no you don't have to subtract 12. Just put a 1 in front of the time and add 2. If it's 4PM it'd be 16:00, if it's 9PM it'd be 21:00. Easy as pie.

bgt
August 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I personally like the 12 hour time better (but I don't mind having both if we can switch it in the User CP). But Military time isn't that hard to understand. And no you don't have to subtract 12. Just put a 1 in front of the time and add 2. If it's 4PM it'd be 16:00, if it's 9PM it'd be 21:00. Easy as pie.

Except 12am isn't exactly 14:00, lol.

Arcanine
August 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Except 12am isn't exactly 14:00, lol.
No... it'd be 24:00, not 14:00.
And on top of that, if you don't know a starting point on something then you need to study up a little. XD

Luck
August 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I personally like the 12 hour time better (but I don't mind having both if we can switch it in the User CP). But Military time isn't that hard to understand.

It's not that military time is hard(for most people), it's just annoying having to do math for something as simple as telling the time. Even if it takes only a second more to find out the time, it is still time wasted for no reason. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer when 1:00=1:00, not 13:00.

Melody
August 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Well generally, I know that 00:00 is midnight, and all. That being said, I read it as if it were in the morning on a 12 hour clock, unless the hour is greater than 12...then I simply subtract 12.

Though it takes me longer to calculate the time when looking at a 24 hr clock.

.inLOVE
August 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I can understand why you would wanna use that system, but a lot of people, like me, find it harder to read. I'd just much rather regular time.

Dj2030
August 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think this Idea would be work great.

Or maybe even a Drop down World clock.

:)

Archer
August 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I really, don't mind. 24h time is probably better. It's true, though - you can't change things radically and not give people the option to change back. That's why every hated Office 2007 at first. :D

processr
August 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM
People complaining about using maths in real life? You guys must be a bag of nerves in a shop.

Ivysaur
August 14th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I actually prefer miltary time (like, all my digital clocks use it).
12 hours time is okay for watches but I swear in a computer it confuses me out sometimes XD So I guess having an option to switch between both would be awesome.

In fact, I remember looking for that option in the User CP when I joined XD

Seadiga
August 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM
24-hour time is good for those who like it, or for those who need to learn it for school or whatever.

12-hour time is good because most of us know it, and it's easier to read and what not.

So good points on both sides. But maybe this should be optional if that's in the Admin's power.

beauty. proletariat
August 14th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Ok this is bugging me now :/

I remember it was possible to change it from 12 hour time to 24 hour time in options but its missing now :S

Pazuzu
August 14th, 2009, 03:25 AM
But still, I think it's hideous looking and would prefer it be optional. :|

Stop insulting my time bbgrl. >:/

'sides, everyone knows it's more horrible if you have to add suffixes. D;

Arcanine
August 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ok this is bugging me now :/

I remember it was possible to change it from 12 hour time to 24 hour time in options but its missing now :S
I also could have sworn we had both at one time. Maybe it's a vB thing where some update they removed it.

Ineffable~
August 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Military time is technically better, since each time has a different number instead of saying letters after the time. However it may be better to present to the people at large just because most Americans use it.
Honestly, if other programs used it (for example, saying "thirteen 'o' clock" on TV), we wouldn't all have a taboo on it, and military time would be easier for us. This may be why they use it in the military, because they're not encumbered by other sources telling them times in 12-hour format. (For example, I hear all the time on TV: "Another episode of Family Guy at 9:00 PM" or something of the like.)

øbliteration
August 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, agreed. It isn't a matter of being harder to understand. It's just nobody is accustomed..

But it does look strange because it also displays the seconds segment. ugh.

ReyRey-Pyon
August 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
The seconds part is really what got me D:
i was like
wait WHAT?

so yeaaahh ._.

AtomicoExploda
August 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM
lolz The seconds part wasn't actually bad, it made it more accurate, which isn't a bad thing, it's actually good in my opinion, I don't really get why most hate it so much, it really seems like a lot of exaduration to me. =/

.Seth
August 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Quick Question: Would you care if something was posted at 5:10 PM, or 5:10:24 PM?