PDA

View Full Version : "Anime is not for kids."

icomeanon6
August 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
One thing that really gets me is how many people say "Anime is not for kids." To me, that sounds like saying "Books aren't for kids," or, "Movies aren't for kids." For one thing, I've seen plenty of anime that most definitely are for kids. Examples: Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that not all anime are for kids?

It seems to me that a lot of people are mistaking anime to be a genre, when it is actually a medium. There's really nothing in common between the movies My Neighbor Totoro and Akira besides the fact that they're animated. I think one of the reasons why anime isn't mainstream in the US is because the name groups together too many unlike genres. When I mention Ghost in the Shell and say that it's an anime, my friends automatically associate it with stuff like Pokemon and Naruto, which wouldn't make them more likely to watch it, much less take it seriously.

Jude Mathis
August 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
What I hear most is "Anime is for kids, why do you like it?", which would give a totally different argument then "it's not for kids" sooo I won't go into it. xD; But yeah, people who are uneducated about Anime in general normally think that all Anime is aimed at one age group. This depends on the person, though.. since as I said, some say it's 'for kids', and some say it's for adults. In reality, it's aimed at both depending on the series, and I've gotten so tired of hearing otherwise. :/

Bagel
August 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
ITs japanese cartoons? what makes it not kid friendly. some of it is but not all. All the kids over there watch it, why cant we?

I completely understand your argument, and have had it with my parents before.

Ayano Katagiri
August 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Funny, I recently posted in a similar topic at another forum. Except that it was about age limits rather than saying "Anime isn't for kids". Which I actually don't hear too often to be honest. Like Break. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=39928) it's more the, "anime is a children's thing" that I hear, which is rather annoying.

It's stupid and completely wrong to generalize all anime under one genre and say that they are all the same whether "for kids" or "not for kids". I've watched enough anime to easily say there's quite a lot of stuff I would not personally give children to watch, without even going towards the ecchi and hentai department. But then there's the good fair share of anime that is targeted and more importantly, suitable for children.

Camisado
August 16th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I always hear people saying that it must be for kids because it's animated...but there's loads of adult animation out there, outside Japan. =/ So yeah, you're right - not all anime is for kids.

To be fair, Pokémon itself, which I still watch, is certainly aimed at children.

In the media store I frequent the most, HMV, Pokémon is in the kids TV section and not in the anime section that's over by world cinema.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
True, a lot of people say Anime is for kids. But then, Anime is just an art style like western animation. Western animation has plenty of different genres and so does Anime. It just doesn't seem fair to categorise an art style as a genre seeing as Live action shows such as Friends or stuff like that isn't classified as such. There are plenty of Anime that aren't suited for kids such as Ghost in the Shell or Blood+.

The reason most people associate Anime with cartoons and aimed at kids is that most Western animations are aimed at children therefore they assume that Japanese Animation should be the same. In my opinion, that's kind of racist.

Zet
August 16th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I have never heard that saying, well besides having a discussion with a friend, about how careless parents let their kids watch what ever they want and when a kid goes out and does something stupid. The parents would then try to see that it is banned or do something else stupid... sorta like the game rating classification system here in Australia, we have no R18+ rating because we're still in the 80's were pixel deaths still exist (b'-')b. A parent will let their 8 year old child play a MA15+ game and when that child kills someone the video game will get the blame and not the vast amount of stupidity the parents have ^_^

But yeah a lot of anime isn't for kids due to the vast amount of language, violence, sexual themes etc so no harm in saying that anime isn't for kids and there are books and movies not for kids :P

Brushfire
August 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM
What I hear most is "Anime is for kids, why do you like it?", which would give a totally different argument then "it's not for kids" sooo I won't go into it. xD; But yeah, people who are uneducated about Anime in general normally think that all Anime is aimed at one age group. This depends on the person, though.. since as I said, some say it's 'for kids', and some say it's for adults. In reality, it's aimed at both depending on the series, and I've gotten so tired of hearing otherwise. :/

Yeah, get this a lot more too. Often I get looked down on watching Anime because they think I'm watching some crappy watered down 4Kids Anime, =/
But yeah, the above stands in favour of the title too. 4Kids and a few other dubbing companies are what created the impression that "all Anime must be for kids", so in the UK and probably most of NA people think Anime is animated so it must be for kids (a rather stupid first impression, really :/). If you don't know much about Anime, then you're going to assume that it's all kiddy stuff until you look into it and realise that Animes out like (like Death Note, Akira, etc.) aren't going to be suitable for children. I also agree with icomeanon6; if 'Anime isn't for kids', then that's the same logic as 'books aren't for kids' or even 'movies aren't for kids', it's stupid idiotic. And I leave yet another thread wiht nothing but backing up what's already said. >_>

solopy567
August 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Whenever someone tells me "Anime is for kids",

I bring them to he nearest computer and show them the first 7 minutes of Elfen Lied.

Roxasabridged
August 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM

I bring them to he nearest computer and show them the first 7 minutes of Elfen Lied.

Hell, any episode will do.

charizard_maa
August 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have heard this said before but the thing is I see anime the same as like regular TV shows. Some shows are good for kids while other shows are not. The idea that 'anime is for kids' and 'anime isn't for kids' kind of keeping it out from the mainstream TV since people are thinking either one or the other. I mean right now there are some cartoons that are much worse then some of the 'teen' animes that are being shown in Japan.

I understand that there are some animes for kids and some that are not. I mean I would be watchin anime on TV or on the computer and there will be some where I don't mind letting my little brother watch over my shoulder like Pokemon or Shugo Chara. But when it comes to some animes like certain episodes of One Piece or Bleach then I tend to push him away.

Azonic
August 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM
True, a lot of people say Anime is for kids. But then, Anime is just an art style like western animation. Western animation has plenty of different genres and so does Anime. It just doesn't seem fair to categorise an art style as a genre seeing as Live action shows such as Friends or stuff like that isn't classified as such. There are plenty of Anime that aren't suited for kids such as Ghost in the Shell or Blood+.

The reason most people associate Anime with cartoons and aimed at kids is that most Western animations are aimed at children therefore they assume that Japanese Animation should be the same. In my opinion, that's kind of racist.
How is that racist? It has nothing to do with who the Japanese are. Western people are just stereotyping the series or the show itself for being childish. They've grown up with this "knowledge", unlike the others who have had more exposure to different kinds of anime and realize that anime can be aimed towards age groups of all kinds. It's not them being racist, they just aren't used to the fact that there are adult "cartoons".

Vernikova
August 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
This isn't limited to Japanese animation but to almost all animation that is created. It's the mind set that many adults share these days.

Akio123
August 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm suprised this topic exists. I like anime, but guess what I hear mostly; "Why do you like this Pokemon or Digimon stuff?" I am a lot more offended when people assume that all anime is for kids. Granted there is a lot of anime for kids (BTW watch the original DBZ it's not for kids...at all >_>), but I see more not for kids. I mean for kids animes I can see: Tokyo Pig, Pokemon, Digimon (some of the seasons. Tamers is like Evangelion and Five was made for ages 13+), Megaman (Rockman)...yeah that's all I can think of. I mean about half of the anime shown in America for Kids is subbed by 4Kids (and when I mean dubbed I mean butchered). I mean it's really hard to think of an anime for kids now a days.

Jude Mathis
August 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM

LOL

ohgosh, I know that's true. xD

I've done that two or three times myself, actually.. no one ever knows how to react, and then they feel sort of awkward for ever saying Anime was just for children. >_>;

Tachibana Azumi
August 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
If someone were to say 'anime is for kids' I'd just laugh and bring up Death Note or Higurashi, or any gory anime to ever exist.
Ah, and Blood+.

If someone WERE to say 'anime is totally not for kids' I'd laugh like hell and bring up Pokemon or Dr. Slump. :D

Ayselipera
August 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think people mistakenly see anime in one way.

Either they only have seen animes like pokemon and digimon or they have only seen Akira and Elfen Lied. So they end up generalizing that all anime is for adults or its all for kids. When in fact its like any other genre. Like Dramas can be for a child or an adult. A Christmas Carol is kid friendly while Cold Mountain is more for Adults.

Chloè
August 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hehe.... this brings back memories.
I had some classmates say this to me... I told them it wasn't they said proove it... So I showed them select scenes from Elfin Lied, Perfect Blue and Devil Hunter Yohko (for the obvious "love" scene) and Higurashi (there were others too, but these freaked them the crap out). You should have seen thier faces at certian scenes of Higurashi. Epic...simply epic

Satoko's Crucifixion
Rena's Suicide
The Nail Scene

I've never laughed so much in my life. -__-

But, in all honesty, some are directed more towards the "younger" children, like "Risky Safety", "A Tiny Little Snow Fairy Sugar"

Akio123
August 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I think people mistakenly see anime in one way.

Either they only have seen animes like pokemon and digimon or they have only seen Akira and Elfen Lied. So they end up generalizing that all anime is for adults or its all for kids. When in fact its like any other genre. Like Dramas can be for a child or an adult. A Christmas Carol is kid friendly while Cold Mountain is more for Adults.
I completely agree with you. I mean most people I know have seen really one of those on either side of the spectrum. Sadly, the vast majority has seen Pokemon or Digimon so of course they assume all anime is for kids. Like one of the previous posters, I then show them Mnemosyne (not Elfen Lied...a six episode OVA that is so much more disturbing).

Sakura Rain
August 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Mostly what I get is "Anime's for kids; why do you like it?" Well, as several previous posters have stated, it's not all for kids. How do you think a six year old would react to anime like Blood+ or Elfen Lied? BADLY. VERY BADLY.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
How is that racist? It has nothing to do with who the Japanese are. Western people are just stereotyping the series or the show itself for being childish. They've grown up with this "knowledge", unlike the others who have had more exposure to different kinds of anime and realize that anime can be aimed towards age groups of all kinds. It's not them being racist, they just aren't used to the fact that there are adult "cartoons".
Let me clarify...

In my opinion, that's kind of racist.
Usually, I say that if i don't want to offend anyone. So, you don't have to take it to heart.

Mostly what I get is "Anime's for kids; why do you like it?" Well, as several previous posters have stated, it's not all for kids. How do you think a six year old would react to anime like Blood+ or Elfen Lied? BADLY. VERY BADLY.
I agree. With all the blood and gore involved, the child would most likely be emotionally scarred or something along those lines.

Akio123
August 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I've actually done that as an experiment to prove my aunt wrong. She thought all anime was for kids. I showed my 10 year little cousin Elfen Lied. She watched three episodes and then didn't come to our house for almost a year because she was afraid she would have to see it again. I know it was as bad as telling a kid there is no santa, but I was so ed up with hearing "You are seventeen years old! Why are you watching this crap meant for eight year olds?!"

icomeanon6
August 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I've actually done that as an experiment to prove my aunt wrong. She thought all anime was for kids. I showed my 10 year little cousin Elfen Lied. She watched three episodes and then didn't come to our house for almost a year because she was afraid she would have to see it again. I know it was as bad as telling a kid there is no santa, but I was so ed up with hearing "You are seventeen years old! Why are you watching this crap meant for eight year olds?!"
Telling a kid there's no Santa? Showing a kid Elfen Lied is more like eviscerating Santa and showing the kid the remains.

mew²
August 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
For one thing, I've seen plenty of anime that most definitely are for kids. Examples: Pokemon, Digimon, [S-HIGHLIGHT]Dragon Ball[/S-HIGHLIGHT], etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that not all anime are for kids?

I do not think flipping people off because of there "puny power level" is kid material, even though I started flipping people of at 10.

But yeah, a lot of anime is for kids. But shows like Full Metal Alchemist, Inyuasha, Ghost in a Shell, are not. Even though I watched them at a young age :3

Akio123
August 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Telling a kid there's no Santa? Showing a kid Elfen Lied is more like eviscerating Santa and showing the kid the remains.
Oh well, looks like I killed another kid's childhood...XD Then again she was fine, I mean she eventually got over it. In all honesty though, I just wanted to provide evidence that not all anime is for kids. That's like saying every sitcom is Hannah Montana. >_>

sanny the hedgehog
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
i get the sort of thing that goes like this
"sanny, why the heck do you draw all of this crap"
well thats what my friends tell me. then i realized one thing i have more knowledge in it
they automatically asume that anime of any kind=pokemon.
one day though a while back i took a manga book to school and well i had a blast seeing all of my classmates struggle to figrure out how to read it. lol!
then when they actually started to read it they all got hooked but then pretended not to like it. that day i got so much satisfaction, maybe even too much.
no anime is not for kids!!

TheCreator123
August 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Some anime are not some are.

Guy
August 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Like said, not all anime are for kids. Some are a bit over explicit in what they show and may not be appropriate to show younger kids. However, when I hear "Anime are not for kids," then I do happen to let a little laugher out as there are tons of animated cartoons not only from Japan, but from other countries as well that are more than enough for kids. For example, besides your simple Pokémon or Digimon, there is Transformers [more so the original series than the new ones], Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and plenty more.

However, I don't usually come across many saying anime is not for kids, but more so anime is for kids. This is where the story does get a bit different on sides, but I wouldn't need to explain that point of view.

IcyArceusRider
August 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, there are some animes that would be okay for young children to watch.

However, not all of them are good for kids. You'd have to be really careful when selecting an anime that needs to be appropriate for a child because even in some animes that seem okay, there's a little suggestiveness thrown in here and there. Of course, not all anime is good for kids. But there are some shows that would be fine.

Mitchman
August 24th, 2009, 02:40 AM
While Anime and even Manga's are not all generalized for kids a lot of stuff I know to be well over the teen limit over here are being aimed at them. Its the stupid generalization of Cartoons=kiddie over here that sickens me. My main example is my 6 year old Cousin reading freaking Death Note. I tell the idiot its not good for him but does he listen? No. Same thing for the Anime...

Cherrim
August 25th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Omg why would you do that? :| It's one thing to prove to an adult or peer that, "hey watch this and you'll see anime isn't just for kids" but... to show a child something clearly not meant for them? What the hell, man. That's no different from sitting your cousin down and letting them watch an R-rated movie just to prove that "LOL R-RATED MOVIES AREN'T FOR KIDS." It's not your cousin you were trying to prove a point to, it was your aunt. No sense traumatizing her kid over an argument. Honestly, wow. Pro-tip: that's not the best way to get your point across.

That aside... I don't see why it's a big deal? As far as I know, anime isn't viewed much better in Japan. I mean, here we're getting more and more "not made for kids" cartoons (South Park, Family Guy, other animated sitcoms, etc.) but if you start up a conversation with someone and mention that you like cartoons, they're still going to think that's childish. It's a stigma associated with the medium of cartoons in general, not just anime. I don't understand why so many people get worked up about it, though.

I'd love to overcome the stereotype, sure, but I also don't mind it too much. I mean look at the examples they have to go by--almost all cartoons on TV today are aimed at kids. When you think "cartoon", you probably, by extension, think Saturday morning cartoon and that's definitely for kids. Even the cartoons shown later at night in primetime or later are fairly tame. They get the "viewer discretion is advised" warning but sit down and watch and it's never too over-the-top. (Though they have been going out of their way to be offensive lately.)

Eventually it won't be viewed as so weird to be watching cartoons well into your teen and adult years thanks to those American cartoons I mentioned in primetime that are slowly changing the demographics, but until then just... explain that anime isn't necessarily for kids with a few examples as needed and if people are still getting on your case about it--just ignore them. :/

Tachibana Azumi
August 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Maybe because they think that anime are associated with cartoons? My brother shuns me by saying I get obsessed over cartoons.
Hell, I AM obsessed, but with anime.

Well, I can't do anything about it...

machomuu
August 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
My childhood was ruined after finding out they edited out alot of stuff in DB and DBZ...I grew up with that show.

Anyways, when people say anime is for kids...that is one of my biggest pet peeves (another is when people call anime "cartoons" and manga "comics")I will go into it in another post.

Vernikova
August 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
There are cartoons that were made for only kids, only adults, only the young adults, and for general audiances. Generalizing cartoons just because of some shows that may have been watched usually causes statements such as this.

RYOUKI
August 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I think people stereotype it as cartoons and think that it's for kids, but I think really it's for mature audiences. I mean, even kid-shows has some ecchi moments.

Tonitonichopchop
August 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I agree with you 100%. Anime should never be considered a genre, only a medium.

Yuoaman
August 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My childhood was ruined after finding out they edited out alot of stuff in DB and DBZ...I grew up with that show.

Anyways, when people say anime is for kids...that is one of my biggest pet peeves (another is when people call anime "cartoons" and manga "comics")I will go into it in another post.

Anime is cartoons, and manga is comics... Just the simple truth there.

And it depends on the specific program whether it is for children or not. Afro Samurai - for example - is definitely not for kids, while Pokemon is.

Yingxue
September 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I do not think flipping people off because of there "puny power level" is kid material, even though I started flipping people of at 10.

But yeah, a lot of anime is for kids. But shows like Full Metal Alchemist, Inyuasha, Ghost in a Shell, are not. Even though I watched them at a young age :3

Different standards, bro. What we may think is for adults, or older kids, may be for young teens/older preteens over there. Dragonball was serialised in a kids' magazine (Jump)

No you won't, because they're correct. Even the Japanese call their manga comics. "Comiket", "Jump Comics", etc. They're not pedantic for a good reason, because who really cares?

Anime is cartoons, manga is comics. Simple as that. :)

LEXAcide
September 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
One thing that really gets me is how many people say "Anime is not for kids." To me, that sounds like saying "Books aren't for kids," or, "Movies aren't for kids." For one thing, I've seen plenty of anime that most definitely are for kids. Examples: Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that not all anime are for kids?

It seems to me that a lot of people are mistaking anime to be a genre, when it is actually a medium. There's really nothing in common between the movies My Neighbor Totoro and Akira besides the fact that they're animated. I think one of the reasons why anime isn't mainstream in the US is because the name groups together too many unlike genres. When I mention Ghost in the Shell and say that it's an anime, my friends automatically associate it with stuff like Pokemon and Naruto, which wouldn't make them more likely to watch it, much less take it seriously.
I believe any anime can go for any age group... Its a freekin cartoon. Why shouldnt it be for kids? I started watching porn when I was like 8... Im not Scarred. Back in the 60's and 70's, Fathers would take their 14 and 15 year olds to get laid by a hooker. These days these parental controls are Psycho.

NeonFire
September 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Just because someone thinks anime is "just for kids" or "just for adults" doesn't mean they're stupid. They just don't know a lot about Japanese animation. If I start talking to my Grandpa about Fruits Basket. There would be a long pause, then he would be like, "....wut?"

But most of the manga (comics) I've seen are for teenagers and adults, rather than kids. Like Fruits Basket, Vampire Slayer, Metroid, Bleach, ect...

Bay Alexison
September 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Pretty much getting tired of the “anime is not for kids” and the “anime is for kids” argument. Like cartoons, it depends on the series and the content. Now these days American cartoons are getting more edgier, and I have seen a few of those.

It seems the problem is that with those that don’t know too much anime, they think it’s either only geared the adults or the children. Yes, there are ones rated teenagers, but I don’t think my friends who aren’t into anime would know that. Most of the anime I watch are actually middle ground or teenaged rated, I guess. The shows would have violence, language, and such, but nothing too intense, so to me a pre-teen can be able to watch a teenage rated one if occupied with someone older or if they’re mature enough to handle the content and know what they’re getting into. In fact, I think most of them are rated that.

Nyjil da Kid
September 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I can understand how ignorant people get, but lately the ignorance seemed to have gone away. My mother watches anime...not on her own,though, only if I'm watching it. Earlier today, she continued to watch Darker Than Black, asking questions to grasp what was going on. It was amusing to see her so into it. Bloody gore and all. Last week, she watched the Naruto movie. She watches Case Closed. She watches InuYasha. I guess what I'm trying to say is...SIT YOUR PARENTS DOWN AND MAKE THEM LOVE IT!!!! Not really, but I guess anyone can have a change of heart when they realize the...genius...of anime.
I'm pretty sure I didn't make any points at all...

Yingxue
September 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Just because someone thinks anime is "just for kids" or "just for adults" doesn't mean they're stupid. They just don't know a lot about Japanese animation. If I start talking to my Grandpa about Fruits Basket. There would be a long pause, then he would be like, "....wut?"

But most of the manga (comics) I've seen are for teenagers and adults, rather than kids. Like Fruits Basket, Vampire Slayer, Metroid, Bleach, ect...

That's probably because a lot of the Japanese kid franchises weren't ever really brought to America, manga or not. I'd like to see Doraemon brought over here, :3

Vernikova
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Ro-hos' post. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5093520&postcount=43)

A lot of Japanese kid franchises haven't been brought over to America? Many have been aired on channels that most people in America can watch and have had store releases. Some are listed below:

Pokémon
Digimon
Tokyo Mew Mew
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Fruits Basket
Ruroni Kenshin
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Bo^7
CardCaptor Sakura
Megaman
Ponyo
Dragon Ball Z
Sailor Moon
Rave Master
Beyblade
Bakugan
Zoids
Hunter x Hunter

Yingxue
September 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
A lot of Japanese kid franchises haven't been brought over to America? Most have been aired on channels that most people in America can watch and have had store releases. Some are listed below:

Pokémon
Digimon
Tokyo Mew Mew
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Fruits Basket
Ruroni Kenshin
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Bo^7
CardCaptor Sakura
Megaman
Ponyo
Dragon Ball Z
Sailor Moon
Rave Master
Beyblade
Bakugan
Zoids
Hunter x Hunter

Sure, I'll accept that those were licensed. I stand corrected, but the amount of kids' properties compared to properties for older kids/ adults is a much, much smaller fraction.
Why is that? Do people feel like kids aren't a very good market?

On another topic...

But it really doesn't help that you have a bunch of weeaboo animu nerds who complain about how <insert dub company here> 'ruined' a 'masterpiece' because they 'Americanised' it too much. It's a freakin' cartoon for little kids, not some kind of mozart pinnacle of animation.

Sorry if I don't make much sense. I need some sleep, and I hope my incoherent rambling makes at least a teeny bit of sense.

Bay Alexison
September 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Sure, I'll accept that those were licensed. I stand corrected, but the amount of kids' properties compared to properties for older kids/ adults is a much, much smaller fraction.
Why is that? Do people feel like kids aren't a very good market?
Most likely, yeah. You know, something interesting. Back when I was in high school, my computer animations teacher told the students how anime is actually before not meant for kids. All the violence and such put in there comes from the upset the Japanese have over WWII. So yeah, there are a lot of anime for kids, but most of the anime shows are marketed towards the older audience due to the content.

On another topic...

But it really doesn't help that you have a bunch of weeaboo animu nerds who complain about how <insert dub company here> 'ruined' a 'masterpiece' because they 'Americanised' it too much. It's a freakin' cartoon for little kids, not some kind of mozart pinnacle of animation.
Yeah, I hate that too. Even though I don't know too much about 4Kids, am getting tired of the complaints and such. The anime and cartoon shows I watched that were created by 4kids that I watched weren't so bad. A few flaws, yeah, but nothing to be worked up too much.

ShinjisLover
September 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well, most anime have some kind of erotica in it. . That's probably the reason a lot of people don't think it's for children.

Proof?

ages 16 and over
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu309/Rena_Ryugu/bokusatsu%20tenshi%20dokuro-chan/dokuro_chan-II-3nd4_15.jpg

Amulet Dream
September 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've never actually gotten that question before (I'm still a kid though, that's my excuse) but sometimes people ask me, why do you like anime? I always tell them either: 'I like anime because I like anime, got a problem with that?' or 'at least I don't have to listen to a yellow sponge with a totally unsuitable voice'.

Anime is not for kids, nor is it for teenagers and above. It's for all age groups, or I would be in soo much trouble, I would not be alive.

Though, the art is usually more sophisticated. I think maybe some kid's animes should be advertised more, the word 'anime' is associated with 'blood' or 'teens' more than 'happy' and 'kids'.

...Those are my thoughts, anyway.

OokamiShipper
September 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Now, who in the world said that?
It definitely is!
Well, some of them aren't
It's kind of a another form of cartoon in a way, so I don't see why it isn't...^^;

サトヒロ=カノン
September 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
i watched golden boy when i was 12

Masterge77
September 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
This sounds like something Alfred Kahn or Jack Thompson would say......

twocows
September 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
This sounds like something (...) Jack Thompson would say......
ANIME SOMETIMES CONTAINS VIOLENCE, AND THUS IT IS AT FAULT IF YOUR CHILDREN SMITE SOMEONE. WE MUST ELIMINATE ALL THINGS THAT ALLUDE TO VIOLENCE, BECAUSE CORRELATION IS CAUSATION AND I AM JACK THOMPSON. ALSO, MARIO CAUSES CANCER.

Heh heh. I said smite. Heh heh.

Eпvy
September 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM
People have a ton of misconceptions about anime.

I agree that it is a medium, and not a genre. This is why I'm so sick of people thinking they can bash anime altogether. Saying "I hate anime!" is like saying "I hate movies!" but that's unrelated to this topic.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of anime/manga is made for kids. A lot of anime fans like to deny this. They think that Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and the like were made for teenagers. In reality they are made for little boys. (although, since I love One Piece so much and am way out of the demographic it's aimed towards I believe that these are oftentimes made to be enjoyed by all.)

No matter how much fanservice, blood, and cussing there are in these Shounen series, they are still aimed towards kids.

weedle_mchairybug
September 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
People have a ton of misconceptions about anime.

I agree that it is a medium, and not a genre. This is why I'm so sick of people thinking they can bash anime altogether. Saying "I hate anime!" is like saying "I hate movies!" but that's unrelated to this topic.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of anime/manga is made for kids. A lot of anime fans like to deny this. They think that Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and the like were made for teenagers. In reality they are made for little boys. (although, since I love One Piece so much and am way out of the demographic it's aimed towards I believe that these are oftentimes made to be enjoyed by all.)

No matter how much fanservice, blood, and cussing there are in these Shounen series, they are still aimed towards kids.

If the shows above are indeed supposed to be for little boys, then please explain why shows like Barney, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Clifford, and, heck, even some of the other Saturday Morning Cartoons meant for little kids have absolutely nothing of this nature in them?!

Eпvy
September 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
If the shows above are indeed supposed to be for little boys, then please explain why shows like Barney, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Clifford, and, heck, even some of the other Saturday Morning Cartoons meant for little kids have absolutely nothing of this nature in them?!

Because the Japanese are more lenient with what their little boys can watch.

twocows
September 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Those are shows made for the young children demographic. Your 8-14 demographic (still kids; this is the demographic the poster was referring to) will not be watching Barney, I guarantee it. They will be watching shows like Dragonball Z (or whatever equivalent airs these days).

Haza
September 19th, 2009, 02:30 AM
A lot of anime has discreet sexual content and references and sust about all of it features extra busty women. Its all coming from the background of the creators though. Geeky men.