PDA

View Full Version : About these spambots...

Andrew McKenzie
August 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I've seen them before.
They go around forums posting spammed advertisements.
In no way should you click the links they post. They may be dangerous for your computer's safety.

I wasn't sure where to post this but I needed to inform you all.
I've seen the damage they can cause. I lost a whole forum over them because I didn't have a proper spam blocker or a similar system.
My forum got infected and anyone going to it eventually got a virus.

I'd advise whoever runs the forum to get a good spam blocker or a similar system in to stop this, otherwise it'll eat away at the forum until it's too damaged to fix.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I just wanted to tell you guys from personal experience.

Mitchman
August 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Why need to inform us when this is common and obvious knowledge? I mean sure sorry if I sound rude but yeah its good to inform people who are new I think.

Zorua
August 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Why need to inform us when this is common and obvious knowledge? I mean sure sorry if I sound rude but yeah its good to inform people who are new I think.

I find it funny you think everyone shares the same opinion as yours. This person was merely sharing a concern with PC, is something wrong with that?

Anyway, the dangers that spambots cause is already known(but thanks for putting emphasis on that), but the action that will ultimately be done against them is still in question, if anything is going to be done at all, or the staff is going to continue their normal course of action of banning them whenever they come.

Ausaudriel
August 18th, 2009, 02:13 AM
We use reCAPTCHA, a built-in system that gets the job done pretty damn well. The only time "spambots" seem to get through anymore is when it's actually a human registering the account. Sadly, companies actually pay people to do this now that technology is sufficient enough to stop most automated stuff. :/

Kazukii
August 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM
People don't even click on the spammed advertisements anyway.. so it seems like they're just wasting money for no good reason.