PDA

View Full Version : If you could time travel...

Jolene
August 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
If you could time travel, where would you go and what would you do?

The only rule is that you can't change the world in a way that would result in you not travelling back in time to begin with.

Personally, I would round up all of the current religious leaders and take them back to the start of the world to prove to them that it wasn't made by any god. Then we'd return to the present time and use the evidence we saw as grounds to put an end to religion once and for all. That would end a lot of wars and suffering.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
August 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Well, your thing easily tells you're an atheist.

Well,
Not that I really approve of time travel because you could EASILY screw up time,
I would go back to certain points to fix what I said.

Like things I said, did, for the better.

iDarky
August 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
i would go back 11 year and not let my dad be killed the day after my b~day R.I.P

Graceful
August 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I'll probably go back and convince my uncle not to die and make dad unhappy.

Samme!
August 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hmmm... I would travel back to Ancient Greece and Rome and probably waste my time looking for Gods and mythological stuff. And then I would go forward to Medieval Times and fight me some dragons >:D

mew²
August 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Personally, I would round up all of the current religious leaders and take them back to the start of the world to prove to them that it wasn't made by any god. Then we'd return to the present time and use the evidence we saw as grounds to put an end to religion once and for all. That would end a lot of wars and suffering.

Very well said. I believe this is what I would do as well.

icomeanon6
August 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
If you could time travel, where would you go and what would you do?

The only rule is that you can't change the world in a way that would result in you not travelling back in time to begin with.

That has to be the most naive thing I've ever read. Even if you were to show all the religious leaders the Big Bang occurring, they'll still say that it was God who made the matter that was expanded during the Big Bang. The thing about God is that by many people's definitions, he's invisible and acts in ways that are indistinguishable from natural processes. You can't disprove anything like that because it's simply not falsifiable. Science will never be able to disprove the existence of God because science is limited to what we are capable of observing, which God by definition is not.

And even if you were to end religion by that means, we'd still have just as many wars as we do now because that's not how history works. Religion isn't the reason for war, it'san excuse for it. If religion were gone, aggressive nations would just find another excuse, be it economics, security, ethnicity, or any number of other incentives.

As for the question, I wouldn't worry about preventing the existence of time travel because paradoxes by definition cannot exist. Any changes that anyone will make to the past have already happened, so there's no need to worry about preventing anyone from being born or anything like that. It's possible that certain things only happened because of time travelers, and we don't know it. I think I would go back to observe the first human flight in Kitty Hawk.

Yoshimi
August 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Well, your thing easily tells you're an atheist.

Well,
Not that I really approve of time travel because you could EASILY screw up time,
I would go back to certain points to fix what I said.

Like things I said, did, for the better.

Well, when the dark ages put a giant hole in the advance of science, you can't help but feel angry. I disagree with your statement Jolene. First, you would die in the primordial Earth(not 6,000 years old!), and second of all, other people would make up religions, either by epiphany, deception(L. Ron Hubbard became famous and rich because of scientology.), or delusion.

.little monster
August 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I would go back to 1900 with a modern day car with schismatics and become rich~

Mew Ichigo
August 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I would personally try and take out dieases (malaria, aids etc) before they do some real damage.

Nuke
August 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Go back to the second world war and make sure von Stauffenberg's plan works.

Rokusasu
August 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I would... Go to prehistoric times and bring back a herbivorous dinosaur egg and keep it as a pet. 8D

SonicThrust
August 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I would go back to 1995 or so after looking up the winning lottery ticket numbers. After winning the lottery I would use my knowledge of the future and the money I won to bet and play the stock market.

Gumball Watterson
August 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'd probably go to the future and find out when the world ends for sure. I have the solution, now the proof.

Timbjerr
August 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
On a personal note, I'd go back to New Years 2004 to prevent my personal and family life from imploding in on itself.

For the lulzy answer that this thread was probably meant to bait in, I'd go 1889 Austria and Falcon Punch pregnant Klara Hitler in the stomach. >_>

Yoshimi
August 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM
On a personal note, I'd go back to New Years 2004 to prevent my personal and family life from imploding in on itself.

For the lulzy answer that this thread was probably meant to bait in, I'd go 1889 Austria and Falcon Punch pregnant Klara Hitler in the stomach. >_>

And it turns out that you are the cause of hitler's evil! Time travel is confusing.

Alinthea
August 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
What if you got there and there was a God?
You would look like one hell of an idiot wouldn't you.

80's.
Win!

The Corrupt Plague
August 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I would go back to the past and save my Grandfather, when I was a kid, he was very good to me and things just get depressing without him.

Citrinin
August 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Absolutely nothing. It's far too risky to go back in time and changing things around.

And if I went forwards in time, I'd have to craft a new identity. 3:

Harley Quinn
August 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
No rule against going forward?

I'd go to the exact second Sarah Palin dies and rearrange her hands in an awkward position.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The past is useless, the future is depressing.

I'd rather just stay in the present. Besides, time travel never works out too well, anyways.

lx_theo
August 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I agree with your intentions, just not how to go about it.

Religion, no matter how evil one may see it as, is a central piece of control in the modern and ancient world. Most humans pick their actions out of self interest, even if its just to make them self feel better. Order has been kept through control from government, religion, and a host of other things like a person's base beliefs as a whole. Religion should be taken out of the equation eventually, but in good time. Something sudden will likely cause lots of disruption in the world's order. People might lose their morals because they grew up with that religion telling that those were good because their God wanted it like that. They also might refuse the evidence and more violence could erupt. However much I'd prefer it not to be, its a major pillar of stability. It needs to be removed slowly.

Though is is from an American's point of view. I'm not sure how countries notably more liberal on the subject would react. Then there are all the extremist area throughout the world.

Anxiety.
August 20th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't, simply. Yeah, I'd love to go back and see things, but the fact is, I could mess up time, resulting in the present being horribly changed, or something like that.

>Feelings<
August 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
What if you got there and there was a God?
You would look like one hell of an idiot wouldn't you.

80's.
Win!

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Have you ever considered that YOU could also be the wrong one?

Jolene, I'd like you to read the post quoted below. It may help change your logicless sense of athiesm...
That has to be the most naive thing I've ever read. Even if you were to show all the religious leaders the Big Bang occurring, they'll still say that it was God who made the matter that was expanded during the Big Bang. The thing about God is that by many people's definitions, he's invisible and acts in ways that are indistinguishable from natural processes. You can't disprove anything like that because it's simply not falsifiable. Science will never be able to disprove the existence of God because science is limited to what we are capable of observing, which God by definition is not.

And even if you were to end religion by that means, we'd still have just as many wars as we do now because that's not how history works. Religion isn't the reason for war, it'san excuse for it. If religion were gone, aggressive nations would just find another excuse, be it economics, security, ethnicity, or any number of other incentives.

And as for this topic, I would do a lot of things or change a lot of things if I could go to the past of future.
I would specially correct a lot of mistakes that I did in my life in the past, or things wrong in the world itself in the past could be fixed.
And as for future, I would find out the answers and solutions to a lot of questions and problems.

For now only, I think I would just go to the past and change something related to technology that got me into a huge mess in my past life, and another one would be the last exam of mine that went by, and work hard and improve the results.
In the future, I would find out if I ever got a job, if I ever got married, and how and when did I die, and what will cause the end of this world.

Cherrim
August 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I dunno what I'd do. I don't have any major interest in seeing the past. Reading about it is fun but the most interesting things are all plagues and wars and whatnot--and I'm not entirely keen on heading back into the centre of any of that. XD;
I would go back to 1995 or so after looking up the winning lottery ticket numbers. After winning the lottery I would use my knowledge of the future and the money I won to bet and play the stock market.
:( Except your ID would show you were like 6 years old and they wouldn't sell you any tickets... and anyone you tried to convince to do it for you would just keep the money to themselves, lol.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I would go back in time and redo my Freshman year because I was such a slacker back then but now I matured and now I dont do it

:t354:TG

SquirtleGirl
August 20th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I would go back and not establish relationships with certain people. People who didn't turn out to be my friends after all.

And maybe go back to the creation of the earth. Just to see what really happened.

ShinjisLover
August 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'd go back to when Rex made me hit my head on a rock and stop it from happening. Because it sucked. Obviously.

Other than that, I wouldn't go back in time. I wouldn't need to. My bullying turned me into the strong person I am today, never meeting my father and not having my mother around often turned me into the independent person I am today, and pretty much everything bad that's happened to me has influenced me to make me a better person.

Even if you meant go back to the past further than the day I was conceived, I wouldn't. I wouldn't enjoy changing anything because then we may not have the technology we have. We may not have the medical expertise we do today. Et cetera, et cetera.

D.xCharLx.B
August 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'd do everything all over again starting at November 2008. Mostly my relationship, but meh. I had fun with those times.

sanny the hedgehog
August 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
well i'd just throw darts at a board of time periods and then look up what happned and if any thing terrible happened i'd just pick another.

as for the funny response
i'd go to the year 20XX just to see if its like the mega man games!!
lol!!

Scarred Sean-o
August 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
If I could turn back the hands of time, I would go back to November of 1996 and give my childhood sweet heart a shot at a relationship instead of turning her down.
I never really got over the heart break since that to be honest.

Idiot!
August 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see the big bang.

Captain Hobo.
August 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
I would make sure Obama didn't become prestent of the USA

Zeta Patchouli
August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
So I have a history project on the invention of the Radio? No problem! With this, I can go back in time and see how it was made!

Well, I would go to the late eighties, and play all the good ones, while also living out a good life under the name of 'George Andrews'. That would be so cool.

jigglypuff_96
August 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I would go back in time and warn everyone about titanic's sinking, or atleast, tell them to put more life boats on the ship. They all prob think I'm crazy though lol